Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social Wefare

Options
  • 28-09-2011 10:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi guys - ive been reading a lot of threads but am unable to find an ansewer to my query.im leaving my job shortly by my own will for various reasons namely i hate it and it makes me miserable but mostly as i want a career change. I plan on doing a 4 week full time CELT (TEFL) course which but i am wondering will I be eligable for job seekers benefits upon completion. i understand im leaving my job voluntarily so i am not allowed claim for 9 wks but as im leaving to do a full time course (which i am paying for and supportting myself - not looking for any welfae for this).
    does anyone haev any experience in this or info? i would be very worried if i couldnt claim after i finish the course while looking for work......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

I left voluntary, mind I didn't apply for about 2 months after leaving but got back paid to when I left, that was 3 years ago though.

Make sure you get a letter from the college to say you've finished! And once you have all your documentation for the welfare office I don't see a problem. Depends on the person you'll be dealing with too.

But I'm open to suggestions too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

lm1907 wrote: »
    Hi guys - ive been reading a lot of threads but am unable to find an ansewer to my query.im leaving my job shortly by my own will for various reasons namely i hate it and it makes me miserable but mostly as i want a career change. I plan on doing a 4 week full time CELT (TEFL) course which but i am wondering will I be eligable for job seekers benefits upon completion. i understand im leaving my job voluntarily so i am not allowed claim for 9 wks but as im leaving to do a full time course (which i am paying for and supportting myself - not looking for any welfae for this).
    does anyone haev any experience in this or info? i would be very worried if i couldnt claim after i finish the course while looking for work......

If you leave a job of your own free will you can be disqualified for a maximum of 9 weeks. If you do a course immediately after leaving your job for 4 weeks then you should only have another 5 weeks if the full 9 weeks is applied to your situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭trixie_belle12

I wouldn't be too sure about getting anything. I left my last role of my own will for reasons similar to yours and as the 9 week mark was about 2 weeks ago when I went to check on the status of the application I was advised that I may be disqualified. It seems, and I could be incorrect, that the current manner in which these claims are handled have been altered to an indefinite period of disqualification whereas before it was a 9 week period.

I wouldn't be too sure about getting anything. I left my last role of my own will for reasons similar to yours and as the 9 week mark was about 2 weeks ago when I went to check on the status of the application I was advised that I may be disqualified. It seems, and I could be incorrect, that the current manner in which these claims are handled have been altered to an indefinite period of disqualification whereas before it was a 9 week period.

The disqualification period is still up to a maximum of 9 weeks.

eastbono wrote: »
    The disqualification period is still up to a maximum of 9 weeks.

Really? I don't understand then why the nice lady at the Social Welfare office told me less than 2 weeks ago that the disqualification period is now indefinite??

• Advertisement

Really? I don't understand then why the nice lady at the Social Welfare office told me less than 2 weeks ago that the disqualification period is now indefinite??

Next time you go in to see this lady ask her to see the guidelines where it now says indefinite.

Next time you go in to see this lady ask her to see the guidelines where it now says indefinite.

I will. Out of curiosity may I ask where your source of information is from?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

I will. Out of curiosity may I ask where your source of information is from?
    Information on Disqualification and Disallowances can be found in the guidelines for JA on www.welfare.ie
    If somone refuses an offer of suitable employment they can be disqualified indefinitely from receiving JA.
    Disqualifications: General
    A person may be disqualified from receipt of JA in certain circumstances. Any period during which a person is disqualified is not counted as part of the continuous period of unemployment.

Full Disqualification
    Refusal of Employment

If a person refuses an offer of suitable employment, he/she disqualified for receiving JA.

A person who would otherwise be entitled to payment may be disqualified for the full period in the following circumstances:

Inmate of an Institution
    Employment in a Community Employment Scheme
    A student (except a mature student)
    Absent from the State
    Imprisonment
    Involvement in a trade dispute
    Disqualification 9 weeks
    A person who would otherwise be entitled to payment may be disqualified for receiving JA for such period as may be determined by a Deciding Officer, but in any case not exceeding 9 weeks, for any of the following reasons:

Loss of employment because of wilful misconduct
    Leaving employment voluntarily without just cause
    Failure or neglect to avail of any reasonable opportunity of obtaining suitable employment
    Lost Employment through his/her own Misconduct
    A disqualification of up to 9 weeks may be imposed if the Deciding Officer is satisfied from the evidence before him/her that the reason the person lost his/her employment was due to his/her own misconduct. The period of disqualification may only be imposed from date that the person lost his/her employment.

(See separate guideline REVISED DECISIONS.)

Examples of misconduct that may lead to disqualification could include:

unexplained absence from work/bad time-keeping without a valid reason
    stealing from place of work
    wilfully disruptive/unreasonable behaviour at work
    Occasionally, an employer may give a person the option of resigning rather than being dismissed for misconduct. Where a disqualification is considered appropriate in such a case, the ground of disqualification is "misconduct" rather than "leaving the job voluntarily".

Voluntarily Left Employment
    A person may be disqualified for receiving JA for up to 9 weeks from date of leaving employment if s/he has left the employment voluntarily and without just cause.

'Good cause' is not defined and it is for the Deciding Officer to apply a common sense meaning to the expression in
    considering the case. Factors that may be taken into account could include the circumstances surrounding any changes in working conditions, the financial situation of the firm, whether leaving the employment amounted to constructive dismissal (i.e. the person left the employment following harassment/abuse from the employer).

Failure to Avail of Opportunity of Obtaining Suitable Employment
    If a person has failed or neglected to avail of any reasonable opportunity of obtaining suitable employment, he/she may be disqualified from receiving JA for up to 9 weeks.

In the case of Jobseeker's Allowance the requirement to be genuinely seeking employment is limited to employment which is suitable having regard to the age, sex, physique, education, normal occupation, place of residence, rate of pay offered and the family circumstances of the claimant. The entitlement to payment is determined by the Deciding Officer in light of the facts and circumstances of each particular case. In determining what constitutes suitable employment, regard should be had to the criteria and circumstances outlined in the section of these guidelines dealing with the availability for and genuinely seeking work conditions.

Refusal or Failure to avail of Training provided or approved by FÁS - Penalty Rates
    The Social Welfare Act 2010 provides for the reduction in payment where a person:

refuses an appropriate offer of training by an officer of this Department;
    refused, or declines to avail of, an offer of training from FÁS;
    declines an intervention under the Employment Action Plan;
    does not attend EAP meetings with a FÁS officer under the EAP;
    drops out of the EAP process
    Community Employment Schemes are not considered to be FÁS training opportunities.

Effective Date of Disqualification
    Where any of the above disqualifications is imposed, the period must be calculated with reference to the day on which the loss or leaving of employment, refusal, failure, neglect or redundancy (as the case may be) occurred.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 lm1907

so you can get disqualified indefinately - are you serious? can you keep me updated on your progress on getting it please. il hopefully get a job when ive finsihed my course (yes very positive i know!) but ive no toehr way of supporting myself if i cant claim it after the 9 wk waiting period.............
    also if i can get JA - is it backdated does anyone know?

well that's what my local swo have told me however according to other posts here that's not the case. as soon as I have any update on my own situation i'll let you know :)

• Advertisement

cee_jay has posted the guidelines re disqualification.

cee_jay has posted the guidelines re disqualification.

None of the disqualification guidelines apply to my case.

None of the disqualification guidelines apply to my case.

Did you leave you job of your own free will? If yes then you can be disqualified up to a maximum of 9 weeks. That is my working knowledge and understanding of the guidelines.

If you are not available and looking for work then your claim will be disallowed indefinetly until you can show that you are available and looking. (Btw I am not saying you are unavailable and not looking I am just giving you an instance of when a claimant is disallowed (disqualified) indefinetly.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 lm1907

thanks!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement