Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BA in Law vs LLB in terms of prospects

• 05-04-2011 10:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

For the past while I've been considering beginning a BA (Hons) in Law that is offered through a nearby Institute of Technology and which is approved for Blackhall Place and Kings Inns.

However, from a strictly career perspective, would it be a barrier to employment and, if so, would a follow on course at a university be a wise choice after the completion of the three year Level 8 BA?

I appreciate any answers, I just can't get my head around how it would be the same as a BCL/LLB from an NUI university and yet there are seemingly no catches involved.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭234

Well in terms of practicing at the Bat it would make no difference. Once it is approved for the KI then it doesn't matter. It's how you preform in practice that will determine your career trajectory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

You don't even need a law degree to sit the Blackhall place exams. Any level 8 degree will allow you to go straight into sitting the FE-1's, provided of course you pay the exam fees.

However, having studied law at degree level is a major advantage, particularly in terms of covering relevant material and having had some problem question/essay practice.

If you don't have any degree then you'd have todo the preliminary exam, which I think looks like a bit of a nightmare exam.

All the relevant info is available of the Law Society website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 MullerMan

Well I was looking at going in the Blackhall Place direction and going through onto practice. However, I have been a bit concerned that having a primary degree from an IT might make it awkward to get an apprenticeship (already hard to find) and, more so in getting work in the larger firms. Thanks for the responses and I'll check out the Law Society website. In the end of the day I suppose it comes down to how well you sell yourself to any potential master or employer.

Advertisement