Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's a good cig-lighter powered FM transmitter?

• 28-11-2014 6:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,305 ✭✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend a good cig-lighter powered FM transmitter (for Andorid phone)?

Have a 2006 Toyota Corolla, and can't find a decent double din replacement that has large buttons which has a USB port, etc, as I dislike the small buttons that you have to really look at in the standard replacment CD players (harder to see when driving, and don't want to take eyes off the road to fiddle with it).

Thus, can anyone recommend a decent FM transmitter that'd be powered by the cig-lighter; don't see the point of having one powered by batteries as it'll only be used in the car which has an available power source.

Have tried a Belkin one, and although down the country it's not bad, in or around Dublin the radio stations transmit a powerful signal that tends to override the FM transmitter I've tried it with.

Thus, wondering if anyone here has any recommendations? Want to avoid spending stupid money, as too much and it'd be cheaper to just get a replacement cd-player.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,491 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If the Belkin works down the country then it will work just as well in Dublin, you'll have to find a blank spot in the FM waveband for the Dublin area. No gadget will work at the same frequency all around the country, you will have to change as you move. Pirates can be a problem at the weekend but there is always an unused spot that you can use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭cletus

the_syco wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a good cig-lighter powered FM transmitter (for Andorid phone)?

Have a 2006 Toyota Corolla, and can't find a decent double din replacement that has large buttons which has a USB port, etc, as I dislike the small buttons that you have to really look at in the standard replacment CD players (harder to see when driving, and don't want to take eyes off the road to fiddle with it).

Thus, can anyone recommend a decent FM transmitter that'd be powered by the cig-lighter; don't see the point of having one powered by batteries as it'll only be used in the car which has an available power source.

Have tried a Belkin one, and although down the country it's not bad, in or around Dublin the radio stations transmit a powerful signal that tends to override the FM transmitter I've tried it with.

Thus, wondering if anyone here has any recommendations? Want to avoid spending stupid money, as too much and it'd be cheaper to just get a replacement cd-player.

There isn't really a good fm transmitter. Before I replaced my head unit I looked into this, and the recommendations were for an fm modulator. This is wired between the aerial and the he's unit, so there is less interference. However I couldn't source one in a bricks and mortar shop, so it would be an online purchase

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

There isn't one!
    No matter what freq you choose, somewhere in the country there s a bloody radio station on it:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,305 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

cletus wrote: »
    There isn't really a good fm transmitter. Before I replaced my head unit I looked into this, and the recommendations were for an fm modulator. This is wired between the aerial and the he's unit, so there is less interference. However I couldn't source one in a bricks and mortar shop, so it would be an online purchase
    Checked out the fm modulator, and it looks exactly what I'd be needing. Car will be going in for a service around January or February, so I'll ask my garage if they can install one whilst they have it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

never heard any great success stories with fm transmitters either.

these seem good, if a little pricey. plugs into the back of your existing stereo, then you could mount it in the centre console storage pocket or something.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Audio-Link-USB-Sd-Aux-Toyota-Small-Auris-Avensis-Corolla-Yaris-Rav4-Radio-/321551459226?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item4addf5e39a

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

I used to have a Nokia N8 which had a fm transmitter built in, effing brilliant extra, don't know why newer phones don't.

Anyway, used to the think it was super always worked no problem. One day I then changed the radio to one with an wired audio in and the difference from fm to wire was so much clearer, really couldn't go back after that. Didn't expect such a difference. Spend the extra a work out a wired solution if possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,305 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

From a bit of a search, I found the below video, which looks like the way I shall go;

Looking at this one; http://www.bassjunkies.com/select-your-vehicle/toyota/connects2-ctvtyx002 it seems it's for the Toyota Corolla radio, with specific connections, rather than then the general aerial plug connection. Although there are two different leads, it seems it depends on the sort of radio I have, or could anyone confirm this?

Advertisement