Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chronicles of a fish: the days of surf and turf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Its funny as i heard BTH and Interested have been seen running around the Phoenix Park in a dress as well....mental picture firmply implanted:)

The most difficult part was finding one that we could fit into together!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

And there I was minding my own business (actually, exploiting a website) this morning. People pay good money for strange things in the phoenix park and I've got bills to pay and BTH has to finance a wedding somehow.

There's always a big demand for the small schoolgirl Fran and Im sure DD could send over a little something for you to work your magic with down the park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

interested wrote: »
    There's always a big demand for the small schoolgirl Fran and Im sure DD could send over a little something for you to work your magic with down the park.

I would not want to take away from you and BTH's potential earnings i know the lad is saving hard for his wedding. I look darn hot with my new tan and would be sure to clean up:pac:

I would not want to take away from you and BTH's potential earnings i know the lad is saving hard for his wedding. I look darn hot with my new tan and would be sure to clean up:pac:

No on wants to see you stubby little legs in a frock anyway. It's all about the legs!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

While I know that BTH and Interested would look smashing in my little black running dress (not to mention how much freedom and enjoyment they'll experience with its silky material brushing gently against their skin)....you, JB, would be the belle of the ball as pacer for your DCM gig with some very happy pacees following behind you who you'd excite to their goal of sub 3:30. ;)

• Advertisement

Dory Dory wrote: »
    While I know that BTH and Interested would look smashing in my little black running dress (not to mention how much freedom and enjoyment they'll experience with its silky material brushing gently against their skin)....you, JB, would be the belle of the ball as pacer for your DCM gig with some very happy pacees following behind you who you'd excite to their goal of sub 3:30. ;)

So BTH/Interested she is politely saying you both would look sh1te in a dress were as i would look deadly....er should i be happy about that not sure:)

No on wants to see you stubby little legs in a frock anyway. It's all about the legs!!

You got to work with what you have. I heard you are that pale and skinny if you blinked you would dissapear out of sight:)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Whats with all the cross dressing imagery???? Ruining my fantasies here guys!

Swim-Bike

Quality session, this is. Tough as all get out, and my thighs were screaming and at times I thought I was going to lose my cookies, but great workout in preparation for the tri. I altered this a bit from last week (which was altered a bit from the time before) in the spirit of taper.....and I will also alter this one more time next week.

Highlights....
    Went pretty all out for the first 400 swim, which then forced me to do 90% of this session with the body already taxed.
    Tried to keep the legs spinning on the bike at 18-20 mph and was huffing and puffing while mentally keeping my body relaxed.
    Thighs were as fatigued during the swim as I can remember them being in recent history.
    Didn't wear socks on the bike. ;)
    Times in the water were faster than they have been since I pulled the pace clock out.

200 warmup
    400 free (5:18, with 2:32 at the halfway point)
    5k bike
    200 recovery breast
    3 x (200 free (2:33, 2:35, 2:36), 5k bike, 200 recovery breast)

Swim total - 2,000 yards
    Bike total - 20k

Swim-Bike

Quality session, this is. Tough as all get out, and my thighs were screaming and at times I thought I was going to lose my cookies, but great workout in preparation for the tri. I altered this a bit from last week (which was altered a bit from the time before) in the spirit of taper.....and I will also alter this one more time next week.

Highlights....
    Went pretty all out for the first 400 swim, which then forced me to do 90% of this session with the body already taxed.
    Tried to keep the legs spinning on the bike at 18-20 mph and was huffing and puffing while mentally keeping my body relaxed.
    Thighs were as fatigued during the swim as I can remember them being in recent history.
    Didn't wear socks on the bike. ;)
    Times in the water were faster than they have been since I pulled the pace clock out.

200 warmup
    400 free (5:18, with 2:32 at the halfway point)
    5k bike
    200 recovery breast
    3 x (200 free (2:33, 2:35, 2:36), 5k bike, 200 recovery breast)

Swim total - 2,000 yards
    Bike total - 20k

a 5.18 off a 2.32 - dial it back on purpose or was there a readjustment after 200m ;) I envy you being able to do these sessions in your own space.

• Advertisement

a 5.18 off a 2.32 - dial it back on purpose or was there a readjustment after 200m ;) I envy you being able to do these sessions in your own space.

I started to address the wide variance in 400 split in my log last night but then figured that I tend to drone on and prob abuse my allotted space here, plus who (besides perhaps you) would even notice/care? ;)

The short explanation is that I basically overcooked the first half. The long explanation is that when I turned at the halfway point and saw my split I freaked just a little because I knew that that was the fastest 200 I had done since my friend the pace clock had made its deck appearance this year - and I still had another 200 to go! Yikes! So I adjusted my stroke and kick tempo a bit, but by the last 100 I was hanging on for dear life. My time was actually closer to 5:15, but I was catching my breath and fiddling with my goggles when I hit the wall at 400 that by the time I was cognizant enough for what I was seeing to register in my mind, the clock was already at 5:18.

I have to say, this is such a quality session that I wonder if it's possible for your tri-club to consider allowing you to bring your bikes/trainers to swim practice to set up on the deck so you can do this.....even if it's only once in a blue moon. Super session, thanks again for suggesting it to me.

Oh, and any time you want to head to the states for a week/month/summer, my own space can become your own space. Plenty of room to put you up!! :D

I started to address the wide variance in 400 split in my log last night but then figured that I tend to drone on and prob abuse my allotted space here, plus who (besides perhaps you) would even notice/care? ;)

Come on now, DD, D'internet is a caring place.
    The short explanation is that I basically overcooked the first half. The long explanation is that when I turned at the halfway point and saw my split I freaked just a little because I knew that that was the fastest 200 I had done since my friend the pace clock had made its deck appearance this year - and I still had another 200 to go! Yikes! So I adjusted my stroke and kick tempo a bit, but by the last 100 I was hanging on for dear life. My time was actually closer to 5:15, but I was catching my breath and fiddling with my goggles when I hit the wall at 400 that by the time I was cognizant enough for what I was seeing to register in my mind, the clock was already at 5:18.

so, leaving aside the fast 200 benefits and pats on back, what you're saying is that by 'seeing' the split you freaked ? ;) you started thinking 'oh, Im going too fast, Im going too fast, slow down kick, slow down arm pull' and then slowed down ?

The session you were doing was swim/bike so no harm no foul, but its a recent interest of mine to see how we all can be guilty of holding back - when watching the garmin, HRM or speedo or deck pool clock. It's training, so what if I die the awful death of deaths in the second half ;) better to find out what the current limiter is I say - and have confidence in an ability to deal with the pain. But again, this is the wrong forum and I've probably been listening to interviews with Sir Chris and the rest of the David Brailsfords disciples recently regarding preparation.
    I have to say, this is such a quality session that I wonder if it's possible for your tri-club to consider allowing you to bring your bikes/trainers to swim practice to set up on the deck so you can do this.....even if it's only once in
    a blue moon. Super session, thanks again for suggesting it to me.

I've suggested it a few times now and there wasn't much interest. IMHO a few of these are excellent in the weeks leading up to sprint events.
    Oh, and any time you want to head to the states for a week/month/summer, my own space can become your own space. Plenty of room to put you up!! :D

Many thanks, but it would result in all your pool records being decimated, a new filter being acquired and more than likely some new shots of sasquatch on the east coast. ;)

Oh my..... ;)

I will ignore the "caring" part for now....

But I definitely freaked upon "seeing" the split - no doubt. Obviously I was aware that I was taking this 400 fast prior to that moment, but I decided I'd rather try and salvage some energy to spread over the remaining entire session than crash and burn in the pool on the very first 400. Further, though, I'm not sure how much longer I could have hung on to that pace any way. Could I have gone a 5:10?? That would have been splits of 2:32 and 2:38 instead of 2:32 and 2:46 (or perhaps 2:43) - maybe. BUT, your interesting point for training purposes is well made. Thank you.

All of my pool records decimated?? Really? ALL of them?? Wow. Sounds like a challenge. I may have to come up with some unconventional markers to put out there. ;)

I won't be challenging for the 100 yard fs with dress

before you go there ;)

I won't be challenging for the 100 yard fs with dress

before you go there ;)

You read my mind. ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Hey DD, thought I'd pop in and say hi since you're so good at returning to visit us all on the other side
    I was out for a bike ride today and thought of you as I was relearning how to use the cleats, luckily no embarrassing falls to report but it's been so long since I've been out, it felt great.
    The boys LOVED the US swim team video on YouTube and they've been trying to perfect the underwater-robot-dance every chance they get.

Keep up the great work, not long to go till you pop your triathlon cherry:-)

Marthastew wrote: »
    Hey DD, thought I'd pop in and say hi since you're so good at returning to visit us all on the other side
    I was out for a bike ride today and thought of you as I was relearning how to use the cleats, luckily no embarrassing falls to report but it's been so long since I've been out, it felt great.
    The boys LOVED the US swim team video on YouTube and they've been trying to perfect the underwater-robot-dance every chance they get.

Keep up the great work, not long to go till you pop your triathlon cherry:-)

I find that all those extra clicks to go back and forth between the dark and the other side is enhancing my training. I think shotgun has added a column on the SBR Challenge for it as well!! ;)

I see where you will need to be doing some additional cross-training....which isn't necessarily a bad thing for you. You seem to be such a natural at all three disciplines that it won't surprise me if we see you signing up for a tri in the not too distant future.

And like your kids, my favorite moves were the underwater ones in that video. What fun the US swim team had making that - showed real unity and spirit. Tell your boys if they want to make an international music video I'm in!!!! :D I can bust a few moves underwater........;)

Lunchtime Treadmill Tempo

It's so funny how on one day a session can feel effortless, and on another day it can feel like a struggle. Monday was effortless, Tuesday was fast, today was not so much. :( I felt heavy and my legs were tired....but I got it done and I guess that's what really matters. Watched the men's 5000 run and managed to keep pace with them, however I suppose I probably didn't make the cutoff to qualify for the finals - I think I finished last in my heat and my time wasn't fast enough to earn a spot come go time. BUT, I was just glad to be a part of the experience. ;);)

2 miles easy @ 10 min/mile
    3 miles tempo @ 7:30 min/mile
    1 mile easy at 10 min/mile

6 miles total in 52:24 for an average pace of 8:43 min/mile.

Supposed to meet some girlfriends at the lake tonight. Apparently the tri organizers have the buoys setup in the lake and we are going for a little practice session after the lake is technically closed to swimmers at 6pm. We have a kayak, so the plan is for 2 of us to swim while one is in the kayak...then switch. Should be fun!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Good to see you're settling in Dory Dory. All those triathletes looking after you?
    <glares menacingly at all the triathletes>

Good to see you're settling in Dory Dory. All those triathletes looking after you?
    <glares menacingly at all the triathletes>

Hi Krusty!! :D Based on your most recent entry about today's 20 mile run, I'm wondering if you have stopped by my log to use my loo? :o;)

So far everyone here has been real nice. This neighborhood is a little quieter than the old hood, but it's got a lot to offer. And you know what they say - you can take the T out of the A/R/T, but you can't take the A/R/T out of the T. :)

• Advertisement

Lake Swim

Met up with 2 girlfriends who are also doing the tri for a lake swim tonight. One of the gals thought the event organizers had placed the buoys in the lake and we planned on taking advantage of that good fortune, but she was mistaken. :confused: Bless her heart, she really is so new to all of this.

Gorgeous evening and lake felt great - prob in the upper 70s. I have no intention on wearing a wetsuit and I don't think there will be any need to....plus it's buried somewhere in this house and I haven't the energy to look for it. There are no requirements to wear one, but there are restrictions about wearing one. Water was fairly clean, just the random pockets of floating debris to remind me in what I was swimming. And there were periodic currents of cold water to wake me out of my relaxing pace. This was an easy breezy swim, just a few times around the lake at a slow speed. Love my new goggles, but they did fog up a few times...so, if anyone has any tips in that regard please let me know. I hate the thought of having to stop to wipe them clear.

Estimated distance - 2,000 meters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Bless her heart, she really is so new to all of this.

Love it. That didn't take long. You're a Tri gal through and through :D

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Love it. That didn't take long. You're a Tri gal through and through :D

But she didn't even know what big, yellow buoys floating out in the lake in a rectangular configuration were supposed to look like!!! Aye yi yi..... ;)

Swim

Short but sweet.....I got this session in after the thunderstorms rolled through. I decided to test out Interested's training ramblings and see if I could die an awful death of deaths and find my current limitor by giving it 110% from the start of the first timed set. Of course the timed sets were only distances of 40 yards, so I'm sure the Legend himself will roll his eyes and have something witty to say about that, but they were quality all the same...and I did not die, and I will push the limits even further next time.

2,000 yards as follows:
    400 free
    200 pull
    5 x 40 free (:25, :25, :25, :26, :25 - off on 60)
    200 recovery breast
    400 free
    200 pull
    5 x 40 free (:24, :26, :25, :25, :25 - off on 60)
    200 recovery breast

SwimOf course the timed sets were only distances of 40 yards

Too short, a lot like myself I guess ;)
    Coincidentally I saw evidence of this last night - 100's desc .. fairly clear signs of fatigue over set of 5. Stroke control degrades, times get worse - people start fighting the water.
    Following set of 50's, similar stuff, even the slightest of rests on the wall between 50's enabled people to recover sufficiently enough to maintain good form, speed.

moral of the story - if things really feel bad on 200's and 400's, go back to sets of 50's, slow the stroke down, get the feel back, increase the speed once you're set again (a lot like some of the principles of chi running I hear).

But DD, this isn't criticism and I think you performed perfectly well on your fast 40's ;) (smart enough?) ... as always, just one opinion in the empty vacuum of d'internet.

Have a great weekend and enjoy the lake !!!

Coincidentally I saw evidence of this last night - 100's desc .. fairly clear signs of fatigue over set of 5. Stroke control degrades, times get worse - people start fighting the water.
    Following set of 50's, similar stuff, even the slightest of rests on the wall between 50's enabled people to recover sufficiently enough to maintain good form, speed.

moral of the story - if things really feel bad on 200's and 400's, go back to sets of 50's, slow the stroke down, get the feel back, increase the speed once you're set again (a lot like some of the principles of chi running I hear).

But DD, this isn't criticism and I think you performed perfectly well on your fast 40's ;) (smart enough?) ... as always, just one opinion in the empty vacuum of d'internet.

So, how bad was I??

And I always love your opinion. Thanks! And the lake should be fun...I hope! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

sage advice. you really need to catalogue these somewhere Mark!!!!

So, how bad was I??

Gosh, and I thought he was talking about himself!! ;)
    pgibbo wrote: »
    sage advice. you really need to catalogue these somewhere Mark!!!!

+1

• Advertisement

LSR

I knew that it was going to be a stretch getting my 18 mile LSR in this weekend due to a swim clinic at the lake I am attending on Saturday (complete with buoys - woo hoo!!) and a planned bike ride on Sunday, so I very quietly blocked out enough time at work early this morning to get the run in. When I came up with this scheme I was quite pleased with myself because it also meant I'd actually be running in the coolest part of the day - omg....I wouldn't have to run in the sickening heat! Hallelujah!!! I was also pretty interested in how my splits might be in non-hot weather and how much effort I would feel while running. Sort of like a science experiment halfway through marathon training and perhaps a good indicator of where I am at the moment. So....when I woke this morning to the sound of thunder and pouring down rain my heart sank just a little. :( Now what to do?? It was bad enough outside that I couldn't even consider that an option, so I could either bag the run or head downstairs and do it on the treadmill. OMG....do the entire 18 miles on the treadmill???!!! So, I headed downstairs and did the entire 18 miles on the treadmill. :eek:

Mentally, I had to break this up into sets of 6 miles - it was sort of like tricking myself into doing the entire 18, but I only saw 6 miles at a time - and this tactic worked pretty well. I don't usually train in the wee hours of the morning before the sun comes up, so my body was quite confused about what I was asking it to do. I ended up using the first 6 miles as a building set - started at 10 min/mile warmup, building to my target pace of 8:30 min/mile. The second 6 miles were just steady at 8:30 min/mile, and the third 6 miles were building to and finishing with (the last 2 miles at) 8:00 min/mile.

I have to say that when I began this session I thought it was going to be crap and not quality at all, however by the time I reached the third and final "set" I felt like I was getting serious benefit and value from it. Not bad, actaully, and certainly better than not getting the 18 miles in at all. :)

18 miles in 2:31:43 for an average pace of 8:26 min/mile.

Advertisement