Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Help find me a bass!

Options
  • 04-08-2006 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭

So i've come in to some money, lets say 600 quid. I need a bass!

I like the traditional Fender percussion style, and tone, and i wouldnt want to strey to far from it.. this is another nice bass that i like and im leaning towards that (i have a big softspot for hollowbodies).

My overall favourite is almost any rickenbacker (for 600 yea right), but thats the most obscure looking instrument i would go for.

So, has anyone got any thing in the fender range hidden away in the bookmarks? Any Hollowbodies floating around the net?

Give me some options!! please!!

*sends smoke signals to karl and doc*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Eoin Madsen

Well, a Ric won't sound anything like a Fender bass, so have a think about what it is you're really looking for.

I'd suggest a Japanese Fender Jazz FTW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Fender Aerodyne Jazz. Made in Japan, it has a P and a J pickup so you get the best of both Fender Worlds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

i kinda hold that stigma against jap instruments... and im not that keen on the shape of the jazz bass :(

Then get a Precision.

And forget the stigma. Japanese Fenders are as well made as US ones.

Then get a Precision.

And forget the stigma. Japanese Fenders are as well made as US ones.

What this man said.

I have four basses. All are Japanese. In fact, I sold a Ric and bought a Japanese bass not too long ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

red_ice wrote:
    *sends smoke signals to karl and doc*

Dunno why you'd bother sending signals to me, I'm not that up to scratch when it comes to bassism.

The only help I can offer here is to say that Japanese instruments for teh rule! :D

walls shaking, room... spinning...

heres the thomann list that i like

http://www.thomann.de/thoiw6_fender_mexp_black_prodinfo.html
    http://www.thomann.de/thoiw6_artikel-178643.html
    http://www.thomann.de/thoiw6_fender_highway_1_us_precision_rw_3tsb_prodinfo.html

Here are the ones that i really like

http://www.thomann.de/thoiw6_epiphone_jack_casady_eb_prodinfo.html
    http://www.thomann.de/thoiw6_fender_mex_stdpbass_white_prodinfo.html

and heres something that tbh, i wouldnt mind having

http://www.thomann.de/thoiw6_artikel-189872.html

which ones stand out to you? What would should i just ditch? I know its a personal preference thing, but as far as hardware and materials go, im not too sure on which is best value and so on

None of those are good value compared to a Japanese made one, to be blunt. I have a Mex Jazz, they are not particularly good.

And I've still never played an Epiphone-anything that was worth a damn, so I couldn't recommend that either.

Well you could get one of those, or you could get something interesting like

this

this

this

or this

That second one in particular is a disturbingly good deal.

I like the second one a lot. :)

• Advertisement

damn it that last one is mint! 536.69 euro...

The second one is the only one i dont like, but its 371.11 euro

i really like the last one... How much would i expect to pay on shipping for that?

The Jazz? ;)

Shipping from Ishi is usually about €120.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Doctor J wrote:
    Well you could get one of those, or you could get something interesting like

this

this

this

or this

That second one in particular is a disturbingly good deal.
    2nd one is a cracker! Gotta be some sort of snag with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

yeah that blue jazz is stupidly sexy

660euro....god damn

Slurms wrote:
    2nd one is a cracker! Gotta be some sort of snag with it!

Nope, they've been that price on Ishibashi for years. Amazing deal. Weren't they going for about a grand in town? I remember seeing one for sale on the forums here for €800 (the guy said he paid €1100 with case in a large shop in town who we all know) and thinking.... "but I can get a new one for about €500!" :eek:

Damnit, why'd you feckers have to go on about basses. :(

Now I've got Bass GAS.

Music Man SUB 5 String and Yamaha John Myung Sig are looking pretty sweet right about now. Those fellows are easily the best basses I've ever played.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

That's my baby. Except mine only has 4 strings and it's a lovely red.

I had a look at the SUB5 before I found the Bacchus. They're dirt cheap on soundslive.co.uk compared to Thomann

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Seany

Well I dont mean to hijack a thread but I have a G&L L2000 listed on adverts.ie

The l2000 was one of the last basses that leo fender designed before his death and has features of previous classics as precision, jazz & musicman stingray. Only reason I have it listed for sale is because I bought Doctor J's Rickenbacker from him which has become my first choice.

If you you like to try this out to get a feel for it, I d be happy to oblige. They are very expensive here though (€2,200 in Musician Inc).

Cheers
    Seany

Doctor J wrote:
    I had a look at the SUB5 before I found the Bacchus. They're dirt cheap on soundslive.co.uk compared to Thomann

Shut up damnit! I don't want to have gas for another bass right now. I just can't afford it, so stop giving me more affordable options. Just not right to tease me tbh. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 thebassman

I recently bought an Ibanez SRX705NT ( check here for spec)........ very nice and in and around the €800 mark

Advertisement