Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ben Affleck vs. Sam Harris & Bill Maher on Real Time

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

jank wrote: »
    Put simply people prefer to be anti-American/anti-Israel/anti-Western than being an actual liberal, hence many so called liberals are not that at all, they are just anti-american and anti-western and use the veil of liberalism as a cloak. Many of the older ones would have been supporters of the Soviet Union, says it all really. In fact many would prefer that American and Western interests be harmed hence why the soft spot for the likes of Iran when they have a tussle with the great Satan, USA.

Chris Andrews of Sinn Fein

Yep.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=92551494&postcount=36

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I am going to politely say you have no clue what you are talking about.
    The koran is NOT like the bible in many ways. I am an atheist, I am not being supportive of the bible or the hebrew bible or any of that. They also have their own issues.
    sorry, but hows that any different than millions of christians believing the bible to be 100% factual, literal, infallible word of god? :confused:

the bible and the quran may be different in many ways, but they are both also very similar in many ways and are equally soaked in blood, probably even more so the bible if we're counting.

by virtue of the fact that none of the 50,000+ muslims in ireland have ever gone on a murderous rampage here and cut off anyones heads for not being muslim, I think we can pretty conclusively state that not all muslims are the same and that the quran IS open to interpretation, despite your assertion that i don't know what i'm talking about.

unless you think they're just waiting for the 'go' signal from ISIS of when they can all attack us at the same time?

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Michael OBrien

vibe666 wrote: »
    sorry, but hows that any different than millions of christians believing the bible to be 100% factual, literal, infallible word of god? :confused:

the bible and the quran may be different in many ways, but they are both also very similar in many ways and are equally soaked in blood, probably even more so the bible if we're counting.

by virtue of the fact that none of the 50,000+ muslims in ireland have ever gone on a murderous rampage here and cut off anyones heads for not being muslim, I think we can pretty conclusively state that not all muslims are the same and that the quran IS open to interpretation, despite your assertion that i don't know what i'm talking about.

unless you think they're just waiting for the 'go' signal from ISIS of when they can all attack us at the same time?

hmmm, first off I made no comment about muslims acting violently or not. I am purely discussing the quran. I don't believe muslims are generally violent. Most christians are generally pretty calm too, even though the christian bible is as immoral beyond belief.
    Attitudes to the removal of fit'na (idol worship or attempts to lead muslims from the path) from the world is very important to the teachings of Muhammed.

The bible is indeed 'soaked' in blood however the quran is viewed by scholars differently too than the bible.
    The bible was 'revealed' (using the most fundamentalist viewpoint) directly, but to many different authors over thousands of years. There is 66 books in it, not one. The majority of christian theologians are quite liberal in how they view those books compared with the masses.
    The quran however is theologically believed to be ONE perfect book, that refers to ITSELF (something the bible does not as a whole) and mandates that it cannot be changed and that it is one of the greatest sins to even try.
    It is supposedly made by God beforehand, and exists outside of time and space (the golden quran). The holy quran currently is a COPY of it supposedly. This does make a difference, at least it should if you believe in the creator of the universe and don't want to go to hell.
    The morman leader Joe Smith actually used some of the features of the Islamic faith for his cult, including golden plates, given by an angel and taken back, revealed over time to suite his needs and with rules that changed older ones when suited. Fortunately (or unfortunately depending on your viewpoint) allows for continuous revelation (hence the revision on blacks being treated badly by Mormons and polygamy) while the quran states that it is FINISHED and perfect and that there will be no more prophets until the end of the world.
    These all matter when trying to make a dent in an outdated religion. I hope I made that point.

There are plenty of nicer passages that get interpreted by certain muslims, ESPECIALLY those that live in the West. The majority of muslims are NOT in the West, and a sizable majority of Muslims cannot read the quran for themselves (poor education) and rely on their imans to educate them, resulting in a very wide mix of viewpoints. However to counter those viewpoints the quran still remains an issue.

Here is an example: No complusion in religion. This is a VERY common statement by those making out that Islam is peaceful and compatible with the Western cultures.
    This is not accurate and the history of Islam repeatedly shows that in practice.
    The process of levying a tax on people of the book (jews and christians) to allow them to exist in an Islamic state under their 'protection' is one form of complusion.
    Polytheists and atheists don't even get that option historically. Convert or leave (or die) is repeatedly the response.
    Muhammed in Surah 9 promotes violence to make people join Islam. Read it yourself. This is the most perfect example that any muslim could wish for. Muhammed is loved beyond any other person in Islamic history.
    Once you join you CANNOT leave Islam without complusion being put on you to return.
    This deals with apostates. The quran is filled with threats of hellfire and allah constantly mocks and ridicules non believers in it at every opportunity in every way.
    The concept of Dhimmi is that non muslims that refuse to convert but pay their protection tax are to be humbled. They are 2nd or 3rd class citizens. they are NEVER to be seen as equal or above a muslim.
    I have read on Muslim forms that even bad muslims (those that don't follow Islam properly) are better than non believers who have no hope at all.

Once again I am not saying that your average western muslim cannot wait to kill you. No and if you read the quran you might understand why killing is only allowed in certain circumstances and in certain areas (Sharia implementation for example). Muslims are PEOPLE first and their own innate sense of morality means they shy away from the worst parts of the quran whenever they can. The problem is that the quran will ALWAYS have those parts and give authority for their reinactement if needed.

.....no muslim majority state, or any state for that matter, charges a "dhimmi tax". Not a one.

Nodin wrote: »
    .....no muslim majority state, or any state for that matter, charges a "dhimmi tax". Not a one.

Google Jizya and read the long wiki article. Scroll to the very bottom to see modern day examples. As a newbie I cannot post links. Sorry.
    Wrong, Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant have reportedly done it in 2014. The fact that there are very few truly Islamic states and as many muslims will tell you if you ask for an example of a TRUE Islamic state, none, not even Saudi Arabia, enact the full sharia. Not all muslims want full sharia, but that is in the quran and those that do can quote verbatim to prove their point.
    All throughout the history of Islam it has been applied whereever possible, or a version thereof.

Google Jizya and read the long wiki article. Scroll to the very bottom to see modern day examples. As a newbie I cannot post links. Sorry..

It's ok. I went to the "21st century" and it says
    "The jizya poll tax is no longer imposed in the Islamic world" which is essentially correct.
    Wrong, Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant have reportedly done it in 2014. The fact that there are very few truly Islamic states and as many muslims will tell you if you ask for an example of a TRUE Islamic state, none, not even Saudi Arabia, enact the full sharia. Not all muslims want full sharia, but that is in the quran and those that do can quote verbatim to prove their point.
    All throughout the history of Islam it has been applied whereever possible, or a version thereof.

They are not a state, they are a "terrorist" or non state grouping. If some bunch of yahoos up around the border here set up checkpoints and collected cash off people from the six counties (or the reverse) it does not constitute an official practice.

I never denied its historical application.

Google Jizya and read the long wiki article. Scroll to the very bottom to see modern day examples. As a newbie I cannot post links. Sorry.
    Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant have reportedly done it in 2014. The fact that there are very few truly Islamic states and as many muslims will tell you if you ask for an example of a TRUE Islamic state, none, not even Saudi Arabia, enact the full sharia. Not all muslims want full sharia, but that is in the quran and those that do can quote verbatim to prove their point.

Also my point is more than what is currently happening in regard to the complusion issue. My point was that the quran can be used at ANY time to justify reinstatement of the statements in it. The jizya is not central to islam, its a tactic that can be used for various economic or political ends. If it is LESS profitable to use jizya then why would they do so? The reason they don't is it makes them look oppressive yet I have consistantly read posts and articles on muslim sites taking about using it and that there is nothing wrong with it since Muslims have their own obligatory taxes to pay as well.
    This is a very complex and convoluted topic and I am sorry if I have not been flawless in my delivery but I think I have been fairly factual in my concerns about the quran.
    Some things are optional in the quran, some are not. Some apply to certain circumstances and will become active once those circumstances come about. The quran has a LOT of info in it after all, its not like the crappy 10 commandments that christians go on about.

Google Jizya and read the long wiki article. Scroll to the very bottom to see modern day examples. As a newbie I cannot post links. Sorry..

You already posted this. There are no examples in the modern day.
    Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant have reportedly done it in 2014..

For the second time, IS are not a state.

All throughout the history of Islam it has been applied whereever possible, or a
    version thereof.

We aren't discussing history, and you were not mentioning it in an historical context.
    The reason they don't is it makes them look oppressive yet I have consistantly read posts and articles on muslim sites taking about using it and that there is nothing wrong with it since Muslims have their own obligatory taxes to pay as well..

Opinions on internet fora are hardly a reliable source of information.

Ok Nodin, I take your point, although some groups do still try and succeed at times to enact it. I was not stating that today it was being used across all muslim states, I was using it as a counter to the idea that there is no complusion to accept Islam that many preach as if it was never the case.

• Advertisement

MY apologies, I went to expand on my earlier point and correct some issues since I forgot I cannot post links but my chrome browser is acting up and I ended duplicating the posts before I saw any replies. It was not intentional.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

not at all. it's not because it's Maher, I agree he makes a lot of good points and he is usually spot on with most of what he says, with only one or two exceptions.

I agree. It's rare that you'll find someone wit whom you have zero disagreements. It just doesn't happen.
    My own GP and the surgeon that performed major surgery on my spine earlier this year to keep me out of a wheelchair for the rest of my life are both muslim and both are aware that I'm an atheist, yet despite the fact that both have had ample opportunities to murder me and get away clean, neither of them have

Can you prove it? Maybe you're a ghost writer.
    I've even seen several gays in both their waiting rooms during my many visits there in the last year or so and I don't for a minute believe that any of them were treated any differently than I was.

We have laws. They are muslims in Ireland, which isn't to say that Egyptian/ Iranian GP's whip out their sword at the mere sight of a gay patient. That would be 'bloody' ludicrous.
    my point being, YES areas of Islam have a lot of work to do to join the rest of us in the 21st century, but much as not all christian denominations believe the same as southern baptists, not all muslims believe all non-muslims, gays, sluts and apostates deserve to be beheaded or stoned to death and many of them believe similar things and live their lives just as most of the rest of us do.

"Don't hate the player, hate the game." What I mean is, we can disagree with the religion, but who wants to disagree with every single muslim, it's silly. Islam is taken far too seriously, just like Mormonism, Judaism, Christianity, Hinduism etc etc. Would it help if the holy books were attacked, for the sake of clarity?

It's not so long ago that parents here turfed their daughters out of their homes because they were pregnant. We all know the tragic and despicable history. No amount of money could make me throw my daughter out of the house for getting pregnant, but back in those days, all it took was religion. Religious folks should be seen as victims, for a plethora of obvious reasons.
    everything is open to interpretation (especially very old religious texts), that is why (much like christianity) there are many branches of Islam with different people believing different things.

for every nasty verse in the quran there is an equally nasty verse in the bible, just like there are nice, peaceful verses in both. it's not the book, it's the people who read it. if you are a nasty person, you will use the nastiness in it to justify your views and actions, exactly the same as any other religion.

this is exactly how 'loving' christians (amongst many other heinous crimes) can cherry pick parts of their good book to starve, freeze and beat their kids to death to 'discipline' them the way the bible tells them to.

You've summed up how utterly useless these ancient 'holy' texts are. Goat herders man. Goat herders.
    there is good people doing good things and bad people doing bad things in (and outside of) every religion.

To finish the above sentence, "but it takes religion to get good people to do bad things." You're welcome.

Here's a photo which appeared on the net some years back, showing Egyptian Christians, forming a ring around Muslims as they prayed, to protect them from protesters.

article-0-0D0815F9000005DC-902_634x472.jpg

Bunch of hippies. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

For the second time, IS are not a state..
    Why not? They are highly organised, they govern their territory, they tax people, export oil, they have the name "Islamic State", not "Islamic Yahoos"...

recedite wrote: »
    Why not? They are highly organised, they govern their territory, they tax people, export oil, they have the name "Islamic State", not "Islamic Yahoos"...

They are not a state.

If they stand the test of time, they will be internationally recognised as a state, albeit a landgrabbing religious state founded by terrorists. Just like Israel.
    And there is the matter of Turkey, which would prefer to have Islamic State as a neighbour than either al-Assad, or worst of all, a Kurdish State.

I seriously doubt that turkey (one of the more liberal Islamic majority countries) would want anything to do with ISIS, particularly given that ISIS has a habit of steam rolling over everything in its path and either assimilating or destroying whoever and whatever it encounters, like Islamic Borg.

Not to mention that Turkey is a prominent member of NATO, with a large, well trained, experienced army and more importantly Air Force (the third largest in NATO after the US and UK).

The minute ISIS makes a move towards Turkey, they will have the full might of the Turkish armed forces and NATO on them and with no air force of their own, they will fcuked.

EDIT: Now that I've said that, it looks like Turkey is playing an odd game with NATO when it comes to ISIS.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/10/10/the-secret-nato-turkey-war-game-for-isis.html

• Advertisement

I.S. will not make a move against Turkey, the two have an "understanding". Turkey does not exactly support I.S. it supports the other (more secular) anti-Assad Syrian rebels. As long as I.S and the Kurds are fighting it out, and provided they both stay on the other side of the Turkish border, Turkey will sit back with the popcorn and enjoy the show.
    Being a member of Nato does not oblige them to act. The alliance conducting air strikes against I.S. is not Nato. It consists of the former rulers of Iraq, the USA and GB, plus the shia regime of south east Iraq, plus the Gulf state monarchies which are next in line to be subsumed by I.S. if they are not stopped.

Looks like it's getting fairly hairy all the same.

I suppose the Kurds have always been a thorn in Turkey's side, but what they are doing is very very cold and could backfire internally even if ISIS do leave them alone.

The situation is complicated by the fact that the USA has had to rely on the Kurds to be their ground troops, so the Kurdish "peshmerga" infantry have recently been billed as the heroes of the day, just as the Afghan mujahideen once were.

If Turkish troops do roll across the border, it will only be because the USA has agreed a deal to betray the Kurds, and the Turks will attack both IS and the Kurds equally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

An excellent critique of Sam Harris's view on Islam from last year by Glenn Greenwald.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/apr/03/sam-harris-muslim-animus

Playboy wrote: »
    An excellent critique of Sam Harris's view on Islam from last year by Glenn Greenwald.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/apr/03/sam-harris-muslim-animus

Fairly thorough dismantling, it has to be said.

• Advertisement

Playboy wrote: »
    A lot of nonsense about his own tweets, and much boasting about the fact that Sam Harris replied to his e-mails. Then he makes the point that Americans should focus their attention on the problems caused by American foreign policy, instead of worrying about what muslims are doing. Does he not think that people could have an opinion on both issues, and more opinions on other things too?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 56 ✭✭Vinnie L

Harris and Maher are just the other side of the hater coin.
    “All _______* are the same.” - * insert your pet prejudice here.
    Like the clerics they condemn, they try to fire up impressionable young people to believe their twisted spins.
    Fair play to Affleck for having the balls to stand up to him and Maher.

A lot of nonsense about his own tweets, and much boasting about the fact that Sam Harris replied to his e-mails. Then he makes the point that Americans should focus their attention on the problems caused by American foreign policy, instead of worrying about what muslims are doing. Does he not think that people could have an opinion on both issues, and more opinions on other things too?

"The erection of a mosque upon the ashes of this atrocity will also be viewed by many millions of Muslims as a victory — and as a sign that the liberal values of the West are synonymous with decadence and cowardice."

I remember him coming out with the above crap, and this crap

"The outrage that Muslims feel over US and British foreign policy is primarily the product of theological concerns"

but must have had him on ignore (or perhaps been lucky not to remember )by the time he excreted this

"The people who speak most sensibly about the threat that Islam poses to Europe are actually fascists."

He's a nasty piece of work.

Vinnie L wrote: »
    Harris and Maher are just the other side of the hater coin.
    “All _______* are the same.” - * insert your pet prejudice here.
    Have you even watched the video? Harris actually anticipated your knee jerk reaction and pointed out in advance that's not what he means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

"The people who speak most sensibly about the threat that Islam poses to Europe are actually fascists."

He's a nasty piece of work.

I assume you haven't actually read or heard the context to that quote? What do you find objectionable about it?

Dave! wrote: »
    I assume you haven't actually read or heard the context to that quote? What do you find objectionable about it?

I have, and the notion that the "facists" are correct about anything is what I object to. It's the typical thuggish monomania he seems to have developed in regard to muslims. Glenn Beck with an education.

I have, and the notion that the "facists" are correct about anything is what I object to. It's the typical thuggish monomania he seems to have developed in regard to muslims. Glenn Beck with an education.

His comments deal with religious fascists understanding the effect religious belief can have in motivating people. His point is perfectly valid. People who don't comprehend how important religion is to people, cannot appreciate it when they see that same devotion in others.
    Its no different than saying that a drug addict can appreciate the lengths other addicts may go to for a fix. Your personal feelings don't invalidate that.

Just stumbled upon this
    Its a good video that helps explain Sam's views calmly and rationally. Support those that actually seek reform rather than those that seek to ignore the elephant in the room.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

would you care to back up your statement with empirical evidence at all? number crunching so to speak. What is the general mindset of liberals for example or how many liberals aren't actually liberal but are only pretending? :rolleyes:

Lots of evidence in this thread and one just have to look at the hostility that Ben Affleck showed towards Sam Harris.

Let me remind you that YOU made the initial claim about the religious right in the US being MORE likely to harm homosexuals and women than Islamists and Jihad's in the Muslim world. Since you cannot prove this, your agreements is null and void and in my opinion has been easily dismantled. The statistics, the UN declaration of LGBT rights, the executions, Sharia law and so on prove Sam Harris and those who agree with him right.

• Advertisement

Thanks for proving my point about liberal guilt and the hypocritical defense the left employ when defending Islam.

The left cannot stand that they agree with anything the extreme right has to say, therefore will actually try and defend the indefensible regarding Islamic extremism in a desperate effort to differentiate themselves. We see it all the time when it comes to cooky conspiracy theories about the middle east, Israel and so on.

Ironically sometimes they end up defending people with the same fascists views especially when it comes towards women and homosexuals, buts that's OK cause only white fascists are the problem, not brown or black fascists who are Islamists.

For example, IS, Al Qaeda and Hamas would be in my opinion fascists but since Hamas is the enemy of Israel and Al Qaeda is the enemy of the USA, then there may be a 'soft' spot for them. The "I don't agree with their method, but I see where they are coming from, sure the US/Israel are to blame anyway.." type of moral and rationally reasoning and betrayal.

They're all socially conservative. Well done you.
    That is like answering, people live in those countries.
    What is the moral and ethical guide that the majority of these people live by?

Thanks for proving my point about liberal guilt and the hypocritical defense the left employ when defending Islam.

The left cannot stand that they agree with anything the extreme right has to say, therefore will actually try and defend the indefensible regarding Islamic extremism in a desperate ..............sure the US/Israel are to blame anyway.." type of moral and rationally reasoning and betrayal. .

Aha....

Why is disagreeing with Israel and the US "betrayal"?

His comments deal with religious fascists understanding the effect religious belief can have in motivating people. His point is perfectly valid. People who don't comprehend how important religion is to people, cannot appreciate it when they see that same devotion in others.
    Its no different than saying that a drug addict can appreciate the lengths other addicts may go to for a fix. Your personal feelings don't invalidate that.

This is the full quote - I see no reference to religion there

"The same failure of liberalism is evident in Western Europe, where the dogma of multiculturalism has left a secular Europe very slow to address the looming problem of religious extremism among its immigrants. The people who speak most sensibly about the threat that Islam poses to Europe are actually fascists."
    http://www.samharris.org/site/full_text/the-end-of-liberalism/l

Aha....

Why is disagreeing with Israel and the US "betrayal"?

I said it was a betrayal of liberal principles and reason in general, defending the actions of fascists of another color from the actions of white fascists is somewhat ironic.

"The same failure of liberalism is evident in Western Europe, where the dogma of multiculturalism has left a secular Europe very slow to address the looming problem of religious extremism among its immigrants. The people who speak most sensibly about the threat that Islam poses to Europe are actually fascists."
    http://www.samharris.org/site/full_text/the-end-of-liberalism/l

I think Sam Harris is pointing out the irony of the situation, where in Secular Liberal Europe the people who are pointing out the dangers of Islamic extremism among new immigrants are in fact the extreme right. The reasons why has been discussed. There is nothing much controversial about that quote at all.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

For the second time, IS are not a state..
    While it's perhaps more appropriate for the Atlas Shrugged thread, I see you have similar views on IS as you do on Putin's theft of Crimea - international law + treaty, human rights, respect for property, life and equality are lesser concerns than the political desires of petty tyrants, their violence and their threat of it.

I think Sam Harris is pointing out the irony of the situation, where in Secular Liberal Europe the people who are pointing out the dangers of Islamic extremism among new immigrants are in fact the extreme right.
    If you check back through this forum you will find plenty of people, to my knowledge none of them on "the extreme right", who have been pointing out the dangers of Islamic and other extremisms for years.

Really? Did you read your OWN quote or the article. I did.
    "...looming problem of religious extremism.." demonstrates the link with religion, I would have thought that was pretty clear.
    "Being generally reasonable and tolerant of diversity, liberals should be especially sensitive to the dangers of religious literalism. But they aren’t." is in the paragraph above that one showing the context that the following paragraph refers to.
    This is a repeat of the paragraph above that one (two above the one you quoted from):
    "Increasingly, Americans will come to believe that the only people hard-headed enough to fight the religious lunatics of the Muslim world are the religious lunatics of the West. Indeed, it is telling that the people who speak with the greatest moral clarity about the current wars in the Middle East are members of the Christian right, whose infatuation with biblical prophecy is nearly as troubling as the ideology of our enemies. Religious dogmatism is now playing both sides of the board in a very dangerous game."

Also note that same acknowledges that Islamic fascism is not precise:
    "There is no question that the phrase is imprecise — Islamists are not technically fascists, and the term ignores a variety of schisms that exist even among Islamists"

• Advertisement

..the notion that the "facists" are correct about anything is what I object to.
    This is just an ad hominem type argument.
    A fascist might be very good at keeping his boots nicely polished, or making the trains run on time.
    robindch wrote: »
    While it's perhaps more appropriate for the Atlas Shrugged thread, I see you have similar views on IS as you do on Putin's theft of Crimea - international law + treaty, human rights, respect for property, life and equality are lesser concerns than the political desires of petty tyrants, their violence and their threat of it.
    Another ad hominem, this time against Putin. Most people in Crimea wanted to join Russia, and Putin facilitated them. He might have been wrong about some things, but not about that.

The same goes for Islamic State; it might controlled by a caliph who runs the most reprehensible regime in the world today, but it has all the attributes of a state.
    If you don't recognise that, you have your head in the sand. The USA failed to recognise the growing strength of I.S. for a long time.
    There are parallels here with the attitude that Britain and the US had towards Japan when it entered WW2. They were both dismissive and racist towards the Japanese, thinking of them as being a small backward country.
    In fact the I.S. fighters are like those Japanese soldiers, they are highly organised, fanatical in pursuit of their cause, are willing to endure severe personal hardship, and do not fear death. In other words, they are very good soldiers.

Also you hear a lot of nonsense in the UK and US media about how ineffective the Iraqi army is, and how much money they spent on it. That is not the Iraqi army, that is a bunch of shi-ite farmers turned mercenary.

Where is the real Iraqi army? Saddam Hussein's elite Republican Guard, who subsequently led the irregulars who fought so hard against the US marines at Fallujah after the US invasion? They are the officer corps in the Islamic State army.

Lots of evidence in this thread and one just have to look at the hostility that Ben Affleck showed towards Sam Harris.

Let me remind you that YOU made the initial claim about the religious right in the US being MORE likely to harm homosexuals and women than Islamists and Jihad's in the Muslim world. Since you cannot prove this, your agreements is null and void and in my opinion has been easily dismantled. The statistics, the UN declaration of LGBT rights, the executions, Sharia law and so on prove Sam Harris and those who agree with him right.
    that is a feeble attempt at deflection by trying to misquote me, but thanks for trying.

what I said was...
    if they did the same survey on christians in the US i wouldn't be at all surprised if there are more right wing extremists in christianity there than there are in islam, particularly looking at what is going on in the US at the moment.

which bears absolutely fcuk all similarity to what you are claiming I said, but that's perfectly fine since your "opinion" carries no weight at all given how consistently misguided and/or factually incorrect your posts have been.

If you stopped patting yourself on the back for a minute and actually read the entire article that goes with those statistics you mistakenly seem to think validate your views, you might actually learn something, but heaven forbid that should happen. :rolleyes:

• Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Brown Bomber

There has been a pretty strong reaction to this discussion by lots of people online. On Twitter at least it seems to be overwhelmingly in support of Affleck and nods of approval at his calling Harris a racist.

Anyone had any thoughts on it?
    2 bloodthirsty Zionists and Project Reason buddies vs Affleck. I'm glad Sam Harris got called out publically on his racism and hope it encourages people to delve further into his racism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭Virgil°

2 bloodthirsty Zionists and Project Reason buddies vs Affleck. I'm glad Sam Harris got called out publically on his racism and hope it encourages people to delve further into his racism.

What race is he stigmatizing?

Virgil° wrote: »
    What race is he stigmatizing?
    He is certainly an anti-Arab racist, and his racism possibly goes deeper. He said something along the lines of -- In terms of "intelligence" -- that "he would be surprised if there were no differences found between the races".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

I honestly believe that if Harris was of Middle Eastern/African descent - all other things being equal - nobody would be calling him a racist.

• Advertisement

He is certainly an anti-Arab racist, and his racism possibly goes deeper. He said something along the lines of -- In terms of "intelligence" -- that "he would be surprised if there were no differences found between the races".

http://www.samharris.org/site/full_text/the-strange-case-of-francis-collins
    Watson’s opinions on race are disturbing, but his underlying point was not, in principle, unscientific. There may very well be detectable differences in intelligence between races. Given the genetic consequences of a population living in isolation for tens of thousands of years it would, in fact, be very surprising if there were no differences between racial or ethnic groups waiting to be discovered. I say this not to defend Watson’s fascination with race, or to suggest that such race-focused research might be worth doing. I am merely observing that there is, at least, a possible scientific basis for his views. While Watson’s statement was obnoxious, one cannot say that his views are utterly irrational or that, by merely giving voice to them, he has repudiated the scientific worldview and declared himself immune to its further discoveries. Such a distinction would have to be reserved for Watson’s successor at the Human Genome Project, Dr. Francis Collins.

A typically balanced and nuanced blog post by Harris reduced to a decontextualised soundbite to satisfy his dishonest and disingenuous detractors.

Yep, sounds about right. A day in the life of Sam Harris. He must have the patience of a saint—I'd probably have retreated to a quiet life of academia if I was misrepresented by politically correct goons as frequently as he is.

This is just an ad hominem type argument.
    A fascist might be very good at keeping his boots nicely polished, or making the trains run on time.

Or indeed have a nice uniform, well tended. However those aside, you'll pardon me if I treat their "insights" as regards minorities etc with a wee bit of salt.

I think Sam Harris is pointing out the irony of the situation, where in Secular Liberal Europe the people who are pointing out the dangers of Islamic extremism among new immigrants are in fact the extreme right. The reasons why has been discussed. There is nothing much controversial about that quote at all.

I'd say you're wrong there, likewise with regard to his other bizarre notions.

"Being generally reasonable and tolerant of diversity, liberals should be
    especially sensitive to the dangers of religious literalism. But they aren’t."
    is in the paragraph above that one showing the context that the following
    paragraph refers to.

....I don't accept that it follows through to the next paragraph. If it did ("muslims = fundamentalists") its not exactly an improvement.

Standman wrote: »
    I honestly believe that if Harris was of Middle Eastern/African descent - all other things being equal - nobody would be calling him a racist.
    He is (in part) of semitic descent and he is still a racist. All Zionists are de-facto racists.

All Zionists are de-facto racists.
    BB - for the second time in twenty minutes, can you PLEASE try to discuss something calmly for a change?

Somebody with your sensitivity to insinuation is more than well aware of how unhelpful that kind of comment is.

• Advertisement
Advertisement