Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fear of Religions...when our children are concerned

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭nagirrac

smacl wrote: »
    It appears that organisations such as Atheist Ireland assert that atheism may share a world view above and beyond what you describe. I strongly disagree with this assertion, and consider it a deliberate misuse of the term.

Everyone has a worldview, as does every organization, although organizations trying to maintain a coherent worldview can be like herding cats :D. For any individual atheist to say my worldview is simply I don't believe in God or Gods is generally inaccurate, as individual atheists have views adding up to a worldview that are all over the map, just like theists (including according to surveys a not insignificant number of atheists who believe in a higher power, but not God:confused:).

I agree attributing a worldview to a negative claim like atheism is problematic. Atheism is simply lack of belief in a God, nothing more. Those that try and append other beliefs onto atheism generally have some other agenda, such as the claim that a "proper" scientist cannot also practice religion. That's a lot of past, current, and future scientists that need to be chased out of the academy.

Vivisectus wrote: »
    As is your attributing some sort of irrational anti-religious sentiments to those that do not share your view. As well as pulling the ole dawkins out of the hat. The man is a biologist. Pretty good one too.

Come on now, one does not have to search too far in this forum to find anti-religious sentiment. Dawkins has not been engaged with Biology in terms of science since the 1970s, his last publication was I believe in 1979. Yes, he is a good biologist, and is a wonderful popular science writer, but he is a horrible philosopher, something most professional philosophers would agree with. The only militant atheist worse than him in terms of philosophy is Krauss.
    There, you see that thing you did there? Where you say "religion funded science"?

Religion did fund science, and specifically the Catholic religion from the 12th century on. Where do you think all the western universities came from? We can debate the motivations of the religious organizations, but that they funded science is unquestioned.
    And yet I have not seen any evidence yet: just hazy quantum-mysticism..

As yes, the old quantum mysticism canard, generally trotted out by those whose familiarity with QM is based on a headline with Deepak or Oprah's name. I am not a physicist, but I am well read and well versed on the subject, in particular all of the attempted interpretations of QM. This is highly relevant to my earlier post on metaphysics, as the implications of QM are very much at odds with our everyday experience of the world and indeed completely at odds with classical physics. Accurately put, this is known as the quantum enigma, not quantum mysticism.

If you think my ideas are out there then you should try wrapping your head around the extreme Copenhagen interpretation proposed by Aage Bohr (Niels Bohn son, and also a Nobel prize winner), which effectively denies the existence of the microworld i.e. that atomic scale objects do not exist at all. This interpretation is completely consistent with an idealism worldview and completely at odds with a materialistic worldview. There is no conflict with holding a metaphysical position that may be at odds with our experience of our everyday world, as long as it is consistent with scientific findings.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

But at the core..... there is nothing I can see that is "unsupported"... let alone "INCREASINGLY unsupported" about simply saying "If X is unsubstantiated then I simply do not subscribe to X" so I am merely seeking clarification on this and it is seemingly not forthcoming. As per usual when this user is pressed on just about any matter.

The statement "If X is unsubstantiated then I simply do not subscribe to X" possibly demands closer investigation before we dismiss it as we might mainstream religious belief. For any information to be substantiated our choices are either to go out and substantiate it ourselves, or accept it as having being already substantiated by a trusted third party. For very many scientific studies, what is an accepted truth (e.g. substantiated by a trusted third party) at one point in time, may be proved either partially or entirely false at a later stage. e.g. the Earth is flat, no its round and the centre of the universe, no the sun is the centre of the universe, no the sun is not the centre of the universe etc....

My own take on things is rather than simply subscribing or not subscribing to X, I consider a spectrum between the two positions. If there is strong evidence from a trusted source that X is true, I tend to believe it is true. If there is strong evidence from a trusted source that X is false, I tend to believe it is false. If there is no trusted evidence either way, I either ignore X entirely if it is not relevant to me, or plump for some position in the middle based weaker evidence and my own best judgement. i.e. take an agnostic position.

In order to expand our base of knowledge it also falls to us occasionally to substantiate it first hand. Thus if X is attractive, one common mathematical approach is to assume it to be true and try to prove it false. Again this involves subscribing to X as you put it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Meanwhile, back on topic....:)
    Non secular free schools should get no funding at all, but should keep to standard curricula. No fobbing off of evolution or sex education.
    This may run into problems; how can creationist religions such as fundamentalist Islam, or American style fundamentalist Christians, teach evolution as fact when it contradicts their fundamentalist beliefs?
    They might cover evolution in class, but they could put a very negative spin on it.
    There is also the issue of foreign funding. Islamic schools in Ireland could receive funding from middle eastern governments. (that link is from 2009 BTW)
    Academy schools in the UK have received funding from creationists.

So even if a school was not state-funded the question is, should we allow vested interests to influence it, thereby giving them the ability to influence the mindset of children in this country?

Even if you wanted to, it would be impossible to ban biased religious education altogether because the worst nutjobs would just homeschool their kids.
    But I think the State should try harder to ensure that all kids receive a similar (of high standard) and totally secular education. So even if their home circumstances are "difficult", or "wacky" even, they still have the chance to make a decent life for themselves as they grow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

nagirrac wrote: »
    Science as we know it today, based on experiment, can be clearly traced to the Islamic scholars of the 8th - 11th centuries, and to Catholic universities from the 12th century to the Renaissance.

The point you are no getting more and more shrill in your ignoring is that you CAN trace things back to certain scholars and universities yes but that they were Islamic or Christian is _incidental_ until you substantiate any claim to the contrary.

Which you have not done even a bit. You merely WANT it to be so. Really badly it seems.
    When leading cosmologists write articles and books speculating on multiverses, parallel universes, etc. these are metaphysical works, as there is not a shred of scientific evidence to support them.

Not true at all, and you know this. What is happening is they are viewing the evidence we have and hypothesizing on plausible conclusions for where the evidence is leading. But the evidence and the mathematics IS there.

This is not to be compared with the kind of "metaphysics" you are engaging in which is the art of simply making stuff up in the absence of substantiation, and running with it.

The difference is that as simply as top down, and bottom up. The scientists are starting at the bottom and working up. Looking at the data we have, and hypothesizing on where it may lead. You and the Theist cohort however are starting from the top down. Fantasizing about nonsense conclusions and wondering at what data might, if found, verify any of it.
    As to your condescending question as to what type of scientist I am, the answer is a scientist who strictly follows the scientific method while doing science.

Except you do no such thing at all. The thread where you attempted to imbue the process of Evolution with intelligence is a pure and clear example to all of just how little you know about the scientific method, let alone how little you engage with or implement it.

Let alone your presentation of a single "study" to show reincarnation in a subject based on her language abilities. The kinds of evidence you were pointing to in that "study" and your comments on it, which I showed at the time before you ran out of the thread in shame, illuminate massive misunderstandings of the methodologies and practices of science.

A scientist does not become one merely by using the label and I see no substantiation at this time to consider you any such thing.
    I don't find the scientific method useful when I meditate

And yet many people, Sam Harris included, do. They are turning the eye of science on meditation, observing the effects of it, defining ways to measure "desired" and "undesired" effects.... and then hoping to feed that data back into the actual practice of meditation to tailor it towards a more efficient and desirable outcome.
    nor when considering most ethical questions.

Then you are neither a moralist or ethicist because Science tells and informs us about the effects of our actions. And unless one knows and understands what effects an action will have.... how can one engage in discussing the morality or ethics of that action? Our Sciences can HEAVILY influence our morals and ethics and if you just throw science out when considering ethical questions then you are hacking off a leg before starting a marathon.
    Different subjects, although I understand fully why an atheist does not find religion and religious practice useful.

Who says they do not? Another one in your long litany of misrepresentations of what atheists actually say, do any think?

The fact is many practices are very useful. We just divest them of the religious context you want to present them in before practicing them. Simple as that.

It is not that we do not find such "religious" practices useful. It is that we do not accept your blanket and thus far unsubstantiated assertions that they are "Religious" practices at all. For example your blanket assertion that meditation stems from religion and is a religious practice, which you substantiated not at all in any way before running away and pretending to have me on ignore for the crime of asking.
    For any individual atheist to say my worldview is simply I don't believe in God or Gods is generally inaccurate, as individual atheists have views adding up to a worldview that are all over the map

You are being incoherent now, likely willfully. The ATHEIST world view is just that there is no reason to think there is a god. Any given ATHEIST'S worldview however is a separate thing entirely. You are simply conflating the two in order to contrive to be incoherent.

Actually MY worldview is simply that if an idea is not substantiated I do not subscribe to the idea. Simple as that. Therefore I do not call myself an atheist. Because "atheism" is not my world view but a consequence of my world view for no other reason than the claim there is a god is entirely unsubstantiated.... much less by you and your ineffectual flailing at redefining the word "god" to mean nearly nothing at all in order to hold on to the use of the word "god" without ever actually having to substantiate it in any way.
    I agree attributing a worldview to a negative claim like atheism is problematic.

IT is not a negative claim or negative position. It is a refusal to subscribe to ONE particular positive claim on the basis that the claim is entirely unsubstantiated and nothing is being offered to lend it credence. Much less by you.
    We can debate the motivations of the religious organizations, but that they funded science is unquestioned.

And I am not questioning it. At least not here. I could question but I am granting it for now to make the actual point. Which is that I am not questioning the money trail. I am questioning the implications you are making off the money trail.

• Advertisement

The statement "If X is unsubstantiated then I simply do not subscribe to X" possibly demands closer investigation before we dismiss it as we might mainstream religious belief.

By all means do so. I am agog to hear on what grounds you would dismiss it. If there is no reason given to believe something.... then I simply do not believe it. I am not sure what is so spectacular or open to dismissal in that statement.

I realize from discussion with the theistic cohort on these fora that belief for many people is a "choice". This is something that is denied me I am afraid. So I find it hard to understand it. I can not, myself, "choose" to believe something. The evidence or substantiation or argument for it is either compelling, or it is not. End of. I simply have no choice in my beliefs.

The theistic cohort on here suggest THEY can however and often admonish me for "choosing" not to accept the evidence or "choosing" not to believe in god when I simply did no such thing.

I have considered all the evidence, arguments, data and reasoning offered to me on the subject, or that I have found for myself while exploring the subject, and found them to be entirely lacking.

So simply I am left today with two things. 1) A proposition and 2) Absolutely zero (not just little but zero) substantiation for that proposition.

So I am simply incapable of believing the proposition. Again: End of.

I often wonder how labile their credulity is and how far their ability to simply "Choose" belief goes. I have asked many of them if, were I to give them an empty box, they could simply "choose" to believe it is stuffed full of monetary cash. So far not ONE of them has deigned to answer this question, so I have in fact no idea where the line is drawn in their abilities to simply choose a belief.

By all means do so. I am agog to hear on what grounds you would dismiss it. If there is no reason given to believe something.... then I simply do not believe it. I am not sure what is so spectacular or open to dismissal in that statement.

The implication of your logic above is that you consider every proposition X to be either true or false based on the available supporting evidence or lack thereof. I would suggest that X could be probably true or probably untrue based on supporting evidence for or against, or anywhere in between based on lack of supporting evidence. Where an exhaustive search has been carried out for such evidence and none is forthcoming, I'd dismiss X as unknown and sufficiently improbable to be considered effectively untrue.

If we look at Christianity and creationism for example, I would consider the creationist myth untrue as it is directly contradicted by very many scientific and archaeological observations. I would take the same stance on more mundane things such as homoeopathy.

I dismiss the existence of God and the supernatural on the basis that massive efforts have been put into finding supporting evidence for them, and none has been forthcoming.

This does not generalise that into dismissing every proposition X that has not been substantiated, as there may be more evidence forthcoming for very many cases.

The implication of your logic above is that you consider every proposition X to be either true or false based on the available supporting evidence or lack thereof.

No. That is not a correct representation of my position at all. Which you probably suspected already given the only user on the whole forum who thanked your post :)

My position is that when confronted with a proposition I do not judge it to be true or false at all. I consider every proposition to be _value neutral_ unless something is offered to substantiate it.

So if you told me that "If you leave the house tomorrow before the first cock crows.... then a yellow pokka dot VW Mini will materialize above your head, fall upon you, and kill you" I do not consider your proposition either true of false at all. I see it as value neutral and not worthy of any consideration in the first place.

I see no reason to classify it as true of false. I simply dismiss it.

Similarly the claim there is a god is an assertion that comes before us devoid of any substantiation. I do not classify it as true or false in any way. I consider it solely in the category of "Unsubstantiated hypothesis".

And therein lies the break down in much of the discourse between theists and atheists. The theists see the atheist dismissal of their position as being value positive rather than value neutral. Hence the oft repeated line "Can you prove there is NO god???".

I would suggest that X could be probably true or probably untrue based on supporting evidence for or against, or anywhere in between based on lack of supporting evidence. Where an exhaustive search has been carried out for such evidence and none is forthcoming, I'd dismiss X as unknown and sufficiently improbable to be considered effectively untrue.

Don't forget the human brain and it's selective screening of the evidence:).
    Even in science, the most reliable method of inquiry we have, history is littered with dogmatic belief in theories that have been debunked by new evidence, and refusal to accept new theories. A significant number of major breakthroughs in the history of science, that not just challenged but demolished prior theories, was initially met with great reluctance and even scorn. The list of scientists who were scorned, driven from posts in academia, refused funding etc. is truly shocking. The concept of heresy is not just a religious one! Although Galileo is the favorite poster boy for atheists, it was the existing scientific academy he upset, who happened to be Catholics;).

http://blog.vixra.org/category/crackpots-who-were-right/

If we look at Christianity and creationism for example, I would consider the creationist myth untrue as it is directly contradicted by very many scientific and archaeological observations.

A view shared by most Christians, and all Catholics.
    I dismiss the existence of God and the supernatural on the basis that massive efforts have been put into finding supporting evidence for them, and none has been forthcoming.

Not true actually. Massive efforts are put into efforts that hold economic potential, like weapons, foodstuff that poisons people and drugs that extend life somewhat after poisoning, essentially anything that can be utilized to make money in the here and now, generally this quarter and maybe next for most corporations ;).
    This does not generalise that into dismissing every proposition X that has not been substantiated, as there may be more evidence forthcoming for very many cases.

Exactly. Our knowledge continues to evolve, its only impediment is closed minds that want to cling to existing knowledge, aka dogma.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Vivisectus

Come on now, one does not have to search too far in this forum to find anti-religious sentiment. Dawkins has not been engaged with Biology in terms of science since the 1970s, his last publication was I believe in 1979. Yes, he is a good biologist, and is a wonderful popular science writer, but he is a horrible philosopher, something most professional philosophers would agree with. The only militant atheist worse than him in terms of philosophy is Krauss.

Then we should not drag him up as some sort of authority on atheism.
    Religion did fund science, and specifically the Catholic religion from the 12th century on. Where do you think all the western universities came from? We can debate the motivations of the religious organizations, but that they funded science is unquestioned.

What I am objecting to is the generalization, obviously.
    As yes, the old quantum mysticism canard, generally trotted out by those whose familiarity with QM is based on a headline with Deepak or Oprah's name. I am not a physicist, but I am well read and well versed on the subject, in particular all of the attempted interpretations of QM. This is highly relevant to my earlier post on metaphysics, as the implications of QM are very much at odds with our everyday experience of the world and indeed completely at odds with classical physics. Accurately put, this is known as the quantum enigma, not quantum mysticism.

The problem is not the interpretations themselves, it is the way people use them to justify their god-of-the-gaps reasoning. You yourself have demonstrated this, making a huge leap from QM to communing with the Mind of God or some such fluffy phrase in one of your previous posts.
    If you think my ideas are out there then you should try wrapping your head around the extreme Copenhagen interpretation proposed by Aage Bohr (Niels Bohn son, and also a Nobel prize winner), which effectively denies the existence of the microworld i.e. that atomic scale objects do not exist at all. This interpretation is completely consistent with an idealism worldview and completely at odds with a materialistic worldview. There is no conflict with holding a metaphysical position that may be at odds with our experience of our everyday world, as long as it is consistent with scientific findings.

Bold mine: another example of how you simply make sweeping claims and then happily skip off and build esoteric ivory towers. If I want to argue with it I will have to do a lot of homework: not all your generalizations are so absurd as the one that included Kierkegaard as someone who thought religious faith was rational. (last time I will mention that. promise. But you have to admit that was funny as hell).

If I do all the legwork like a good boy, will you actually take a blind bit of notice, or will you simply counter it with some other wild association of ideas?

• Advertisement

Don't forget the human brain and it's selective screening of the evidence:).

How could we forget it given your display of it so consistently in every post on this forum? Often you do not even selectively screen evidence, but selectively modify it too.
    The list of scientists who were scorned, driven from posts in academia, refused funding etc. is truly shocking.

It is. But I have to admit I am struggling to discern how this point has anything to do with the post or point you are replying to?
    Not true actually.

Except it is true. Entirely true. As the user said, massive effort has been put into supporting theistic and supernatural claims, and no support for them has been found.

To declare this statement UNTRUE you would have to present the support that you believe has been found. But as everyone reading this forum knows I have asked you to provide same numerous times on numerous threads.... and you have consistently failed to do so in even the smallest way.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

The belief that science and religion are in conflict is a 19th century idea that is only shared today by a few attention seeking self promoting militant atheists like Dawkins and Dennett, and their rabid following, most of whose knowledge of science or religion could be written on the back of a postage stamp.
    Could you try and rant/rave with a little more originality?

Even John Waters would probably clichés as tired as those.

robindch wrote: »
    Could you try and rant/rave with a little more originality?

Even John Waters would probably clichés as tired as those.

I'll hop over to the Republican fruitcakes thread and find one of yours that sets the standard:rolleyes:

Who the fcuk is John Waters?

Then we should not drag him up as some sort of authority on atheism.

I'm not, although it's not difficult to be an expert on atheism:). However, he sets himself up as an expert on religion, a subject he has an embarrassingly poor grasp of.

The problem is not the interpretations themselves, it is the way people use them to justify their god-of-the-gaps reasoning. You yourself have demonstrated this, making a huge leap from QM to communing with the Mind of God or some such fluffy phrase in one of your previous posts.

I agree there are people who do this, but you need to be able to distinguish between what sounds like crackpottery and what is genuinely crackpottery. Reading Rosenblum and Kuttner's Quantum Enigma sounds like Deepak at times, but it clearly isn't. I didn't come up with the idea that the universal wavefunction of the universe needs an observer for the universe as we observe it to exist ( I believe that was Eugene Wigner). I agree 100% that calling this observer God, or an attribute if God, is speculation, and I have always on these pages tried to make the distinction between a science claim and speculation. In terms of a position on ultimate reality, one has to start with what is scientifically known at least to the level of theory, then what is hypothesized, and then build from there.

Bold mine: another example of how you simply make sweeping claims and then happily skip off and build esoteric ivory towers. If I want to argue with it I will have to do a lot of homework

If you are interested in QM, as a layperson I would recommend Quantum Enigma, an extremely readable work with not a single reference to God or Gods.
    not all your generalizations are so absurd as the one that included Kierkegaard as someone who thought religious faith was rational. (last time I will mention that. promise. But you have to admit that was funny as hell).

I will grant you Kierkegaard, if only in the hope you stop talking about him:). We all make mistakes, he hardly helped my argument. My point was that there were and there are philosophers who find religious belief rational. Philosophy is hardly a subject with only one position.

Which is my greater point on metaphysics. The various positions on the ultimate nature of reality, materialistic reductionism, physicalism, various forms of dualism, neutral monism, idealism are all well reasoned positions. All of them are problematic in terms of the evidence that support them or refute them.
    If I do all the legwork like a good boy, will you actually take a blind bit of notice, or will you simply counter it with some other wild association of ideas?

I assure you I will take it seriously, you sound like a very reasoned poster with no ideological axe to grind.. and thanks for the good boy compliment, although I am not sure its deserved:)

However, he sets himself up as an expert on religion, a subject he has an embarrassingly poor grasp of.

So you keep saying but while expelling that hot and bluster you appear not once to have laid out what the accusation is based on. Funny that. At least, for example, when I accuse you of having an embarrassingly poor grasp of science, I then move to explain exactly why I think so. I do not simply declare it and run. Nor would I ever.
    My point was that there were and there are philosophers who find religious belief rational.

And it is an entirely irrelevant point. WHO finds it rational is not relevant. On what basis they are claiming to find it rational is. Care to lay out THAT instead of simply name dropping?

Oh it is not that I am not reasonably up to speed on QM, for a layman. And happily my son is not a layman at all but an astrophysicist, and always willing to explain some of the more technical parts.

I can see how someone who does not flinch from committing flagrant metaphysics in front of witnesses would find QM interesting. However, if you look closer you find that the reason it seems interesting is not because of what we know, but because of what we do not know yet.

My son always tells me that the God of the Gaps will never, ever go away. Every time we actually learn what is in the gap, we find we have created 2 smaller gaps on either side of it. There will always be things we do not know, and there will always people who feel that deities use ignorance for camouflage.

Don’t get me wrong: I don’t think there is anything wrong with religious feelings. I think they are irrational ideas, but those can be rewarding, valuable and interesting in their own right. I value some of my more irrational ideas just as highly if not higher than I value my reason. But the temptation to try to legitimize them (as if that is required!), to try and make religious impulses look like rational ideas seems to always be there. It creates a lot of unnecessary static and a strong bias: no matter what you say, religion and rational enquiry lay claim to the same territory in many respects.

Take QM, for instance. There is a strong tendency for people to take a shallow understanding of some of the findings of QM and jump to conclusions that are completely unwarranted. You really do not have to be Deepak Chopra to spout quantum mysticism: it is annoyingly common even among otherwise intelligent people.

Your statement from earlier about the speculation that God is the observer that is required to ensure that the waveform function of the universe exists is an excellent example. It is particularly exasperating. Not only does it present the actual theorem in a hopelessly muddled way, but it does not address its internal contradictions. The central idea, in a shorthand form, is that if you treat the entire universe as a probabilistic waveform, as a single enormous Schrodingers cat in a box, then it is indeed puzzling to wonder how the waveform could ever be collapsed at all.

But this is a rather silly stretching of an analogy beyond breaking point. It is hopelessly human-centric: what it really says is “If there was a consciousness outside the universe and if the universe could be treated as an isolated system then that consciousness could never know the state of that universe without observing it and collapsing the waveform into a state.” But by putting the cart before the horse and saying “The waveform of the universe cannot be collapsed without some observer” you can make it look as if there is something else going on entirely.

It does not lead to any “attribute of god”. The only way you can reach that conclusion is if you assume the existence of that god first and then go looking for something to lend that an air of scientific legitimacy. It is essentially an example of conformation bias in action.

We are actually getting a pretty good idea about how quantum events translate into classical ones. When decoherence gets more of a pop-science treatment, we will be able to put that particular one to rest, and undoubtedly two other ones will take its place.

But note how before the general public can learn what is actually going on, we need to banish the spectre of God first as he has moved into the space where especially laypeople had a pretty warped understanding? Note how it was once again the desire to inject a deity into the universe that is still keeping it that way right now? THAT is why we should keep schools for learning, and leave religion to Sunday school, priests and theology students.

But note how before the general public can learn what is actually going on, we need to banish the spectre of God first as he has moved into the space where especially laypeople had a pretty warped understanding? Note how it was once again the desire to inject a deity into the universe that is still keeping it that way right now? THAT is why we should keep schools for learning, and leave religion to Sunday school, priests and theology students.

First of all thanks for an excellent post, and apologies for not responding point by point, but I think my responses hopefully will be fairly obvious.

So, for brevity, what we agree on, I think.
    Religion and Science are different subjects and there should be no muddling between the two. Religion is experienced rather than taught, so a church or a Zen garden is a far more appropriate setting than a school. I think the reality in Ireland is that both have been combined, they need to be unraveled.

Religion itself is a vast subject, there is the study of religious history, the morality teachings of various religions, and the religious experience itself or spiritualism. My personal opinion is that without a religious practice, we are not discussing religion, we are discussing religious culture or history. An "al a carte Catholic" who does not participate in a religious practice, be it regular mass attendance or regular prayer or reflection, is not a Catholic, nor even religious imo.

I will have to come back to the QM discussion. Everything I have read on the subject suggests I have to give up my idea of local reality or accept Many Worlds. Many Worlds is a serious pill to swallow. An easier pill to swallow imo is a top down universe.

A metaphysical position has to start with what is known and cannot contradict established science. You build from there and try and establish a model for what is most feasible. My view FWIT is that after reviewing all the evidence from a wide range of sources, we live in a top down "virtual simulation" that we have no current ability to describe accurately. I have no problem with those who describe this as unsubstantiated.

If you accept the reductionist materialistic view of the universe, there is a lot of baggage that goes with it, including a denial of God concepts. My worldview is based on having rejected this view, because of the mounting evidence against it. I fully accept there are many others who conclude differently.

Religion and Science are different subjects and there should be no muddling between the two.

Or, to be more specific, we need to identify where the two are separate and where they overlap. The point you have dodged a few times now when trying to picture them as separate is that the religion of many IS based on the "God of the gaps" and science IS eroding those gaps. There is therefore a direct conflict between science and elements of religion.
    Religion is experienced rather than taught

This appears to be another one of your slipped in phrases that actually dilutes what you are talking about into nothing at all. One of those places where you say nothing at all, but use a lot of words to say it.

It is similar to your pantheism-esque attempts to redefine the word god merely to mean something like "all of everything". We already have words for "all of everything". They are "everything" and "universe" and so forth. Your redefinition of "god" into those terms essentially therefore makes "god" mean nothing at all and your claim that "god" exists mean nothing more than "something exists and I particularly have a fetish for the word god".

Similarly here saying "Religion is experienced" merely reduces religion to nothing we do not already have words for. Words like "Stimulus" and "Emotion". But clearly religion is more than mere experience. It consists more often than not of real and genuine truth claims about our universe and how we should conduct our society. It is a system of moral precepts and admonishments and claims. It is not merely something "experienced".
    the religious experience itself or spiritualism.

Which I have argued numerous times, and you have refused to address or rebut, has nothing to do with religion at all. Rather it is something religion has co-opted and/or assimilated in order to benefit by proxy.
    An easier pill to swallow imo

.... in entirely irrelevant. What we subscribe to as true should be based on the evidence. Not what is personally more palatable or "easy". I recognize you like to go for the more intellectually lazy "easy" when you can however. Such as when you observed second or third hand an account of a woman who spoke a language no one around her knew how she learned it was "easy" for you to throw your hands up and declare "Reincarnation" as the explanation..... without a shred of substantiation for such a phenomenon at all.
    because of the mounting evidence against it.

Evidence you appear to be consistently unwilling to cite or offer. Which in itself is evidence of something I feel.

Religion and Science are different subjects and there should be no muddling between the two. Religion is experienced rather than taught, so a church or a Zen garden is a far more appropriate setting than a school. I think the reality in Ireland is that both have been combined, they need to be unraveled.

I feel the same way - and I think it does religion no favors to be in schools either. Many people look back later and feel a little angry at the way they were spoon-fed bowdlerized religious concepts with the clear intent to help keep them safely compartmentalized from other ideas, to make sure they are in there as unquestioned concepts before people are able to think too critically about them. It treats religion as something you unquestioningly accept, rather than experience as a search for truth.
    Religion itself is a vast subject, there is the study of religious history, the morality teachings of various religions, and the religious experience itself or spiritualism. My personal opinion is that without a religious practice, we are not discussing religion, we are discussing religious culture or history. An "al a carte Catholic" who does not participate in a religious practice, be it regular mass attendance or regular prayer or reflection, is not a Catholic, nor even religious imo.

And yet what gets taught in Catholic schools is basically Catechism - which does a poor job if you are looking for cultural/ religious history!
    I will have to come back to the QM discussion. Everything I have read on the subject suggests I have to give up my idea of local reality or accept Many Worlds. Many Worlds is a serious pill to swallow. An easier pill to swallow imo is a top down universe.

I think "Many Worlds" is more a matter of mathematical convenience, a sort of short-hand. A photon that goes through a beam-splitter does not really split into two photons in two separate worlds: it is just that we have a hell of a time wrapping our heads around the anti-intuitive idea of a photon in a superposition state, with random phases between the two pieces.

We only speak of many worlds because there is no more detectable interference between the two branches of the wave-function.

I am not completely conversant on all of it - I need regular refreshers from my son just to keep it straight in my head :) but it really does seem to me that a lot of the philosophical flights of fancy resulting from QM are conflicts between our stubborn intuition and the theorems.
    A metaphysical position has to start with what is known and cannot contradict established science. You build from there and try and establish a model for what is most feasible. My view FWIT is that after reviewing all the evidence from a wide range of sources, we live in a top down "virtual simulation" that we have no current ability to describe accurately. I have no problem with those who describe this as unsubstantiated.

The problem with that is that my theory that a small gnome lives in my sock-drawer and steals my left socks passes that test: it starts with what is known and does not contradict science in any way, which kind of demonstrates just how low that particular bar is. Also, since you leave the known behind and boldly venture out beyond it, there is a real risk of building teetering towers of metaphysical speculation based on very narrow foundations. Again, QM mysticism is a great example of this.

To me, it smacks of confirmation bias: the desire to find a god that comes first, and a search for anything that fits that follows. Just look at the below:
    If you accept the reductionist materialistic view of the universe, there is a lot of baggage that goes with it, including a denial of God concepts. My worldview is based on having rejected this view, because of the mounting evidence against it. I fully accept there are many others who conclude differently.

But if QM is part of that evidence, then we have seen that at best it can be considered compatible with such a worldview, and that only if you stick to very specific interpretations and extend them in ways that seem very vulnerable to good ole Occams razor. I would not call that evidence in favor of it at all, rather a lack of incompatibility that seem compelling only if you are looking for pieces to a god-shaped puzzle.

It treats religion as something you unquestioningly accept, rather than experience as a search for truth.

And yet what gets taught in Catholic schools is basically Catechism - which does a poor job if you are looking for cultural/ religious history!

I think we are closely aligned on this topic. I steer away from dogmatic religious teachings of any form, and Catholicism is one of the most dogmatic. However I see the value of the spiritual experience from both the individual and societal level, and while the baggage of organized religions is increasingly difficult for many or perhaps most people to swallow, in rejecting it there is the danger of throwing out the baby with the bathwater. This is why I think it is important to teach about religions in all schools, exposing children to the "search for truth" that humans have indulged in for thousands of years, and allow them make their own minds up when appropriate whether to participate in religion or not.
    I am not completely conversant on all of it - I need regular refreshers from my son just to keep it straight in my head :) but it really does seem to me that a lot of the philosophical flights of fancy resulting from QM are conflicts between our stubborn intuition and the theorems.

The conflict is between the way our brains expect the world to work and the physical experiments that validate QM theory. The many experiments ran to confirm Bell's theorem, including recently for large molecules, are simply baffling when considered from a classical standpoint. The measurement problem is at the heart of this conflict or enigma, and is a surprisingly persistent problem. Although decoherence has been claimed to solve the measurement problem, there appears no agreement on this among physicists, no more so than agreement on any interpretation of QM.

http://cds.cern.ch/record/531385/files/0112095.pdf
    To me, it smacks of confirmation bias: the desire to find a god that comes first, and a search for anything that fits that follows.

Ironically that's the same argument that I use against atheists, that when you start from the materialistic reductionist philosophical worldview, you only consider evidence that supports it and reject anything that conflicts with it:).

What it breaks down to ultimately in my view is how one views mind. In my experience people who are truly religious believe that mind is immaterial, in the sense that it cannot be measured directly by our senses or instruments, and has different properties to the material. Clearly the majority opinion in neuroscience is that mind = brain, but this is a claim that doesn't hold up well to scrutiny. We can certainly claim that certain aspects of mind correlate to brain activity, but to identify mind with the brain is a claim without evidence. As Wilder Penfield concluded "it is simpler and logical if one adopts the hypothesis that our being consists of two fundamental elements". If this is where the evidence leads you, you end up with idealism, property or substance dualism, or neutral monism as your philosophy of mind.

• Advertisement

I think we are closely aligned on this topic. I steer away from dogmatic religious teachings of any form, and Catholicism is one of the most dogmatic. However I see the value of the spiritual experience from both the individual and societal level, and while the baggage of organized religions is increasingly difficult for many or perhaps most people to swallow, in rejecting it there is the danger of throwing out the baby with the bathwater. This is why I think it is important to teach about religions in all schools, exposing children to the "search for truth" that humans have indulged in for thousands of years, and allow them make their own minds up when appropriate whether to participate in religion or not.

It would indeed be nice to just teach kids about religions, in the same way that we teach them about other semi-rational or wholly irrational things we believe in, such as some of the values we hold as societies. Make it a part of social studies, for instance.
    The conflict is between the way our brains expect the world to work and the physical experiments that validate QM theory. The many experiments ran to confirm Bell's theorem, including recently for large molecules, are simply baffling when considered from a classical standpoint. The measurement problem is at the heart of this conflict or enigma, and is a surprisingly persistent problem. Although decoherence has been claimed to solve the measurement problem, there appears no agreement on this among physicists, no more so than agreement on any interpretation of QM.

http://cds.cern.ch/record/531385/files/0112095.pdf

And long may the debate continue! Part of me fears the day we actually find the answer, as the different solutions seem so creative and intersting in their own right. But the particular problem that Mr Adler has with the decoherence solution is, I think, addressed by some interesting experiments recently into quantum optics:

http://arxiv.org/pdf/quant-ph/0503073v1.pdf

While it may not deal with some of our difficulties in conceptualizing what is actually going on, decoherence does give us a wonderfully clear explanation for some of the more non-intuitive parts of quantum physics, and so far it seems experiments like these are confirming what we would expect to find if it worked... so far.
    Ironically that's the same argument that I use against atheists, that when you start from the materialistic reductionist philosophical worldview, you only consider evidence that supports it and reject anything that conflicts with it:).

Yet at least that evidence is present and produced for you to review, and you are always free to present the evidence that makes you think otherwise!
    What it breaks down to ultimately in my view is how one views mind. In my experience people who are truly religious believe that mind is immaterial, in the sense that it cannot be measured directly by our senses or instruments, and has different properties to the material.

If you create a poorly defined and nebulous "mind" and then complain about how you cannot measure it, you really only have yourself to blame.
    Clearly the majority opinion in neuroscience is that mind = brain,

This is a strawman I am afraid, and by putting it in these terms you are going to run into confusion further down the line... ah the vagaries of metaphysics, with its beautiful, towering spires built on such tiny narrow foundations! Mind is commonly seen as an emergent property of a nervous system.
    But this is a claim that doesn't hold up well to scrutiny. We can certainly claim that certain aspects of mind correlate to brain activity, but to identify mind with the brain is a claim without evidence. As Wilder Penfield concluded "it is simpler and logical if one adopts the hypothesis that our being consists of two fundamental elements". If this is where the evidence leads you, you end up with idealism, property or substance dualism, or neutral monism as your philosophy of mind.

Modern research suggests otherwise - most of Penfields work was done in the early 20th century. He never had the chance to try modern scanning devices which, as far as I am aware, seem to be piling on the evidence that we can safely assume that mental occurrences are closely correlated to physical occurrences in the brain.

But if that is a biased view then I would be more than happy to review any evidence that suggests otherwise, as that sounds very interesting.

However I see the value of the spiritual experience from both the individual and societal level, and while the baggage of organized religions is increasingly difficult for many or perhaps most people to swallow, in rejecting it there is the danger of throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

Why? I see the value of "spiritual experience" too but I see it as being entirely distinct from anything whatsoever to do with religion. Religion _at best_ is just the packaging to sell the product.

So if you are lamenting the loss of religion as a means to sell the product, to bring such experience to a wider audience, then I feel your pain. But I suggest the better course is to find new ways of making that delivery, rather than just throw our hands up and resort to keeping the harmful old ones.

IF however you are suggesting we need religion, some of the contents of religion, or some of the structures of religion to either have, appreciate, discuss or benefit from "spiritual experience" then I am agog to hear your support for this view because it appears to me to be special pleading nonsense.
    Ironically that's the same argument that I use against atheists, that when you start from the materialistic reductionist philosophical worldview, you only consider evidence that supports it and reject anything that conflicts with it

Then we need only add this to the list of your misrepresentations of atheists. I am, for example, willing to consider any arguments, evidence, data or reasoning you offer to support the idea there is a god. Not just "materialistic" ones. The issue is you are not presenting any. At all. Then lamenting that we are not "considering" them.

You stack the deck in other words. You admonish atheists for not considering certain arguments and evidences, while contriving to ensure they never can by never offering them any.

It is similar to punishing a child for not eating vegetables while contriving to never purchase any and bring them into the home.
    Clearly the majority opinion in neuroscience is that mind = brain, but this is a claim that doesn't hold up well to scrutiny.

How so? Given ALL the evidence we have so far connects the two and NONE of the evidence we have so far suggests a disconnect. How therefore has "scrutiny" failed here?
    We can certainly claim that certain aspects of mind correlate to brain activity, but to identify mind with the brain is a claim without evidence.

It is more than correlation and you know it. We can show direct effects.
    "it is simpler and logical

It being "simpler" is irrelevant. We are concerned here with what is TRUE. Not what is "simple". Which someone purporting to be a scientist would know.

It being "logical" is just assertion which you have not backed up.

But the particular problem that Mr Adler has with the decoherence solution is, I think, addressed by some interesting experiments recently into quantum optics:

The experiments outlined in this paper confirm how counterintuitive concepts like entanglement and non-locality are, and that our classical everyday way of thinking is inadequate to understand the quantum world. The quantum world is the one we find ourselves in though, so the search for the truth goes on:). This is a good layman's explanation of the paper:

http://grad.physics.sunysb.edu/~amarch/
    While it may not deal with some of our difficulties in conceptualizing what is actually going on, decoherence does give us a wonderfully clear explanation for some of the more non-intuitive parts of quantum physics, and so far it seems experiments like these are confirming what we would expect to find if it worked... so far.

All experiments that have been ran testing QM theory or trying to falsify QM theory (Bell's inequality for example) before and after decoherence was proposed by Zeh in 1970 have confirmed QM. It is not just Adler, many physicists, including Zeh himself, deny that decoherence solves the measurement problem. It can be claimed to solve the measurement problem, if it is combined with an interpretation such as Everett's Many Worlds. From my reading on this subject, there appears to be as much disagreement on this as there is on QM interpretations. From the attached article "naïve claims that decoherence solves the measurement problem are part of the "folklore" of decoherence".

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/qm-decoherence/#SolMeaPro

I have been reading a lot of articles by H. Dieter Zeh who first proposed decoherence. This is a really nice article summarizing John Bell's take on interpretations of QM.

http://www.rzuser.uni-heidelberg.de/~as3/BellQT.pdf

As Zeh himself has said, we live in a kind of Platos' cave and our classical concepts are mere shadows on the wall of the cave. Using them to try and describe reality has to lead to paradoxes.

Time for a beer and then I will try and address the mind-body problem.

Mind is commonly seen as an emergent property of a nervous system.

This I agree with, but that does not necessarily lead only to a materialistic metaphysical conclusion, it is also compatible with at among others property dualism, dual aspect theory, and neutral monism. I highlight these three as arguments I have read in their favor are not trivial to discount, and in some ways are more compelling in terms of what we observe.

There are many philosophies of mind but the most common among neuroscientists and philosophers is based on materialistic reductionism, with the conclusion that our consciousness, or awareness if you like, is a kind of side effect of neural processes, an epiphenomenon, or even an illusion. This is a deterministic view and excludes free will, indeed most leading thinkers on the subject reject free will.

If this is true how can we explain emergent mental states having physical causative properties on the same brain they emerge from? How can we explain the physical effects of meditation or psychotherapy for example on the physical structures of the brain, confirmed by fMRI scanning. The only answer I have seen to this paradox that seems somewhat compelling is from information philosophy, which suggests that mind is both material and immaterial (in the traditional sense of material, with mass). Thoughts for example are somehow stored in the brain in some material sense, and represent the potential for action. When they are activated, they transition to immaterial energy and communicate with other parts of the brain, or body, or environment. They can then have a causal effect on other material parts of the brain or body. The whole conscious experience then is an amalgamation of material and immaterial thought, the entire nervous system, and its environment.
    Modern research suggests otherwise - most of Penfields work was done in the early 20th century. He never had the chance to try modern scanning devices which, as far as I am aware, seem to be piling on the evidence that we can safely assume that mental occurrences are closely correlated to physical occurrences in the brain.

An area I am very familiar with, having worked on fMRI technology and its applications for more than a decade. It is very exciting but we have to be careful not to overstate what brain scans are telling us. While we can monitor brain activity during observable behavior, we simply cannot determine mental states by looking at fMRI scans. Penfield was one of the first to notice that the brain was not as modular as we thought and remains plastic throughout life.

Closely correlated yes, but correlation is not causation. There is zero evidence at present that our conscious experience can be reduced to brain processes. Indeed, when it comes to concepts like values, morals, and awareness, we have effectively no idea where to even look.

But if that is a biased view then I would be more than happy to review any evidence that suggests otherwise, as that sounds very interesting.

There's a lot of it, but you have to let go of the materialistic reductionist model which dismisses such evidence, and consider other models :). The former is inadequate in terms of explaining many empirically observed phenomena. We are not meat robots, we are causally effective conscious agents.

Clearly the majority opinion in neuroscience is that mind = brain, but this is a claim that doesn't hold up well to scrutiny.

I think that most would state this as 'the brain is the environment in which the mind largely persists', or 'the mind at any given moment in time, is a state largely persistent in the brain'. Both of these are very different to saying that mind = brain.

If we think of the mind as a dynamically changing state, this state changes based on external stimuli and current internal state. Remove or change the external stimuli and you change the resultant state of mind. The environment in which the mind operates is also larger than the brain, i.e. if we are forgetful we might leave a reminder on a yellow post-it note. Socially, our interactions also affect the minds of others, and may continue to do so long after we're dead. So in a broad sense, part of our state of mind is collective.

In terms of your notion of monism or God, I would question where any aspect of your state of mind resides if not dynamically within your brain, or more statically in the wider environment. From my perspective, any state requires an object to be in that state. Any complex dynamically changing state such as mind requires a more complex object to host it. When the brain dies, the mind ceases to exist, as it has no suitable environment in which to persist. If has nowhere to go and hence goes nowhere.

The experiments outlined in this paper confirm how counterintuitive concepts like entanglement and non-locality are, and that our classical everyday way of thinking is inadequate to understand the quantum world. The quantum world is the one we find ourselves in though, so the search for the truth goes on:). This is a good layman's explanation of the paper:

And here lies the danger: from there a lot of people seem to want to jump into mysticism, or at the very least into Plato's cave. I do not think an inability to come up with a classical model to represent the math warrants that.

And you are making quite a leap by asserting that "we find ourselves in the quantum world". Both the classical and quantum models are useful for describing reality. But we must never forget that that is just what they are: models. Blurring the lines between a theory that can be used to explain what we can observe, and regarding a theoretical model as an observed datum can lead to some pretty confused thinking.
    All experiments that have been ran testing QM theory or trying to falsify QM theory (Bell's inequality for example) before and after decoherence was proposed by Zeh in 1970 have confirmed QM. It is not just Adler, many physicists, including Zeh himself, deny that decoherence solves the measurement problem. It can be claimed to solve the measurement problem, if it is combined with an interpretation such as Everett's Many Worlds. From my reading on this subject, there appears to be as much disagreement on this as there is on QM interpretations. From the attached article "naïve claims that decoherence solves the measurement problem are part of the "folklore" of decoherence".

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/qm-decoherence/#SolMeaPro

What it does offer though, is an pretty good explanation of the relationship between quantum effects and classical ones , and one that (so far) seems to be born out by experiment. It gives us classical objects that can be shown to still obey the laws of quantum mechanics, and a pretty useful idea about how the two of them might relate... so far.
    I have been reading a lot of articles by H. Dieter Zeh who first proposed decoherence. This is a really nice article summarizing John Bell's take on interpretations of QM.

http://www.rzuser.uni-heidelberg.de/~as3/BellQT.pdf

As Zeh himself has said, we live in a kind of Platos' cave and our classical concepts are mere shadows on the wall of the cave. Using them to try and describe reality has to lead to paradoxes.

In order to reach that conclusion from the article you linked you must already be looking for a sort of super-imposed Reality with a capital R. It seems unnecessary too: in a way we are in that cave already in the classical model. We do not see objects: we create a model of what we expect to find out there based on impulses we receive.

The article makes clear that the other situations which have not been actualized from a classical point of view by the observation-like action of the environment can be considered real conceptually, but become irrelevant to any potential observer.

He explicitly warns us about jumping to unwarranted conclusions at the end of the paper, in fact.

Again, none of this is incompatible with theistic or mystical beliefs, inasmuch that you can find room for them if you are so inclined. But to hold it up as evidence for them is completely unwarranted. How are we doing on presenting some of that evidence, by the way?

This I agree with, but that does not necessarily lead only to a materialistic metaphysical conclusion, it is also compatible with at among others property dualism, dual aspect theory, and neutral monism. I highlight these three as arguments I have read in their favor are not trivial to discount, and in some ways are more compelling in terms of what we observe.

Compatible, sure. But I refer you to the gnome who lives in my sock-drawer! That is a very low bar indeed and includes the beliefs of, say, paranoid schizophrenics.

So far you have not provided anything we observe that strikes me as compelling. In fact, further down this post, you make a very suspicious demand that almost sounds as if you expect me to change my mind before being persuaded.
    There are many philosophies of mind but the most common among neuroscientists and philosophers is based on materialistic reductionism, with the conclusion that our consciousness, or awareness if you like, is a kind of side effect of neural processes, an epiphenomenon, or even an illusion. This is a deterministic view and excludes free will, indeed most leading thinkers on the subject reject free will.

A certain pigeon-hole is materializing for me now. I do hope you do not end up filling it with pigeon. Some of it's feathers have to do with researchers being biased because they do not subscribe to your particular philosophy, and then spending a lot of time pointing at things that, while not incompatible with a proposed theory, are actually as neutral as materialism is about my little sock-drawer gnome.
    If this is true how can we explain emergent mental states having physical causative properties on the same brain they emerge from? How can we explain the physical effects of meditation or psychotherapy for example on the physical structures of the brain, confirmed by fMRI scanning.

Actually, this works the other way around. How can we explain measurable changes in the brain if mental phenomena are NOT linked to "physical causative properties"?

Explaining it from a purely physical perspective seems trivially easy, in fact. If one did not emerge from the other, we would not expect to see such changes.

What am I missing here?
    The only answer I have seen to this paradox that seems somewhat compelling is from information philosophy, which suggests that mind is both material and immaterial (in the traditional sense of material, with mass). Thoughts for example are somehow stored in the brain in some material sense, and represent the potential for action. When they are activated, they transition to immaterial energy and communicate with other parts of the brain, or body, or environment. They can then have a causal effect on other material parts of the brain or body. The whole conscious experience then is an amalgamation of material and immaterial thought, the entire nervous system, and its environment.

I see no paradox - in fact, I think it is your position that is paradoxical?

Also - "Immaterial energy"? "Material in the traditional sense"? I see no need to introduce new concepts here? Why are you doing so?

What exactly are you having trouble with explaining in a purely material sense? What is this "immaterial thought" and why do you expect it to exist?
    An area I am very familiar with, having worked on fMRI technology and its applications for more than a decade. It is very exciting but we have to be careful not to overstate what brain scans are telling us. While we can monitor brain activity during observable behavior, we simply cannot determine mental states by looking at fMRI scans. Penfield was one of the first to notice that the brain was not as modular as we thought and remains plastic throughout life.

For sure - if I was to engage in science I would work in neurology or QM, as both of them seem to be really getting into some fascinating territory. Some of the more recent studies suggests we are getting pretty close to being able to detect specific mental states, for instance.

http://med.stanford.edu/news/all-news/2011/05/new-imaging-method-allows-scientists-to-identify-specific-mental-states.html

Early days, of course, and I totally agree we mustn't jump to conclusions, but at the very least it seems to me that what we are seeing so far is what we would expect to see if we assume a purely materialistic model of consciousness, and not what we would expect if any of the other ones are true.
    Closely correlated yes, but correlation is not causation. There is zero evidence at present that our conscious experience can be reduced to brain processes. Indeed, when it comes to concepts like values, morals, and awareness, we have effectively no idea where to even look.

I thought Atheists where the ones who ignore evidence that does not fit their model?

So according to you, if I give you some drugs, then the changed state of consciousness that results merely correlates with the fact you were administered them, but it is not warranted to conclude that there was some sort of causative connection between the two?

And somehow the fact that we do not yet know how to scan for specific ideas (ideas that may not have any meaning from a purely neurological perspective as they are complex cultural concepts) enforces that conclusion?

And even if I went out on a very shaky limb and accepted your position here, than we have once again merely failed to rule out a non-materialistic model of consciousness. We have not yet seen anything that actually arguesin favor of it.

I think you need to go back and either articulate this differently or re-think this one.
    There's a lot of it, but you have to let go of the materialistic reductionist model which dismisses such evidence, and consider other models :). The former is inadequate in terms of explaining many empirically observed phenomena. We are not meat robots, we are causally effective conscious agents.

What evidence is this? Do you mean that you feel you have presented some in the preceding parts? Or are you still merely hinting at it? Maybe we can start with the empirically observed phenomena?

This I agree with, but that does not necessarily lead only to a materialistic metaphysical conclusion

No one is saying that it "necessarily" leads to only one conclusion. What we ARE saying is that the evidence so far DOES only lead to one conclusion at this time and the other conclusions you are espousing are thus far unsubstantiated in any small way. Much less by you.

Again: ALL the evidence to hand at this time points to a inextricable mind-brain connection. NO evidence to hand at this time points to a possible separation of the two.

And as someone purporting to be a scientist you know that when all the evidence points to X and none to Y, then X is adopted as the running Theory and Y is consigned to the unsubstantiated musings shelf. Non-scientifically however you are attempting to lend credence to the entirely unsubstantiated alternatives. Based on no evidence at all except bemoaning the fact we have not explained everything yet.
    it is also compatible with at among others

And again anyone purporting to be a scientist knows that something being evidence for a claim is entirely different to that something being compatible or congruent with the claim. There is a chasm of difference between the two that you are attempting to bridge solely by smoke and mirrors.
    This is a deterministic view and excludes free will

Does it? Why? Because you say so? Or are you playing the simplistic and lazy "Well we have not used such conclusions to explain free will yet, therefore it must be excluded"?
    If this is true

Lets try establishing that "If" before you use it to run away asking rhetorical questions. Whatiffery can be fun, but pretty useless if the "If" is unsubstantiated nonsense you just made up.
    how can we explain emergent mental states having physical causative properties on the same brain they emerge from?

Why could we not explain this? You are thinking too linear on the issue. Why can it not be, for example, an unending series of iterations where they easy influence the other continuously? What is it you feel needs explanation?

Why do you need to simply invent this notion of "mind is part immaterial" to explain it? Why throw up your hands at not having an explanation and simply invent a pretty one to fit the gap? Through such practice are gods created.
    immaterial energy

Explain what you mean by this phrase please?

There is zero evidence at present that our conscious experience can be reduced to brain processes.

Again that is simply not true and you are making stuff up.

ALL the evidence we have at present links our conscious experience to brain processes, including the recent discovery of what is jokingly referred to as an "off switch".

NONE of the evidence we have at present suggests a disparity or disconnection between the two.

And again: Anyone pretending to be a scientist, even when they are not really one, should make sure to know that when all the evidence suggests X, and no evidence suggests Y, you do not go around foolishly declaring there is "no evidence" for X when in fact there is ONLY evidence for X.
    The former is inadequate in terms of explaining many empirically observed phenomena.

An assertion that you keep making and I have destroyed in more than a few posts now, including a few on this thread.

And here lies the danger: from there a lot of people seem to want to jump into mysticism, or at the very least into Plato's cave. I do not think an inability to come up with a classical model to represent the math warrants that. And you are making quite a leap by asserting that "we find ourselves in the quantum world". Both the classical and quantum models are useful for describing reality. But we must never forget that that is just what they are: models. Blurring the lines between a theory that can be used to explain what we can observe, and regarding a theoretical model as an observed datum can lead to some pretty confused thinking

But it is Zeh jumping into Plato's cave, the first scientist to work out a decoherence model. No leap into mysticism when discussing science, Zeh is a wonderful scholar. As an aside, on this forum, I have frequently feel tempted to label paragraphs as "this science". "this is philosophy", "this is the metaphysical branch of philosophy". Oh, and "this is just a scientist philosopher speculating". We are in a quantum world because this is the world we have experimentally validated more than any other scientific hypothesis, and yes it is a theory but it's by far our most consistent theory. We know that our classical world is an approximation, the result of our earlier investigations, and also the result of hundreds of million of years of evolution to the state of our brains at that time. You cannot approach an understanding of the quantum world from what feels comfortable in the classical world. You have to give it all up.
    What it does offer though, is an pretty good explanation of the relationship between quantum effects and classical ones , and one that (so far) seems to be born out by experiment. It gives us classical objects that can be shown to still obey the laws of quantum mechanics, and a pretty useful idea about how the two of them might relate... so far.

Many Worlds is the only interpretation, as far as I know, that is math all the way through from doherence and does not depend on hidden variables. Consistent histories too I think but I have to admit an ignorance on this interpretation.
    In order to reach that conclusion from the article you linked you must already be looking for a sort of super-imposed Reality with a capital R. It seems unnecessary too: in a way we are in that cave already in the classical model. We do not see objects: we create a model of what we expect to find out there based on impulses we receive.

Yes, but the whole reductionist materialistic model is based on these impulses or signals, and its proponents actively suppress any other model. This is unprecedented in science, science is supposed to be about discovering the truth, not protecting the current model. Our classical world model is based on our brain's evolutionary survival in our environment and has been shown repeatedly to be incoherent.
    Again, none of this is incompatible with theistic or mystical beliefs, inasmuch that you can find room for them if you are so inclined. But to hold it up as evidence for them is completely unwarranted. How are we doing on presenting some of that evidence, by the way?

No, they are completely separate, and my point going back to the origins of this thread is there is no conflict. I am not holding them up a evidence, that evidence is to follow:), to bolster my point which is not a religious one.

• Advertisement

Compatible, sure. But I refer you to the gnome who lives in my sock-drawer! That is a very low bar indeed and includes the beliefs of, say, paranoid schizophrenics.

You sure love that metaphor:P. It's a small bit of an insult though to people who have come to a different conclusion, after careful consideration of the evidence. While most scientists do not indulge in philosophy, nor care to, some do and I think we can learn from them. Most of them are atheists as well, as are the great majority of philosophers. One does not need to be a creationist to hold a different opinion;).
    Actually, this works the other way around. How can we explain measurable changes in the brain if mental phenomena are NOT linked to "physical causative properties"?

Mental phenomena are linked to physical causative properties. We can explain it best in the context of a deliberate thought with true free will causing not just brain activity but rewiring brains which are plastic to begin with.
    Also - "Immaterial energy"? "Material in the traditional sense"? I see no need to introduce new concepts here? Why are you doing so? What exactly are you having trouble with explaining in a purely material sense? What is this "immaterial thought" and why do you expect it to exist?

No new concepts. I understand the word immateriality causes heartache with its suggestion of a "soul", but that's not what's at play here. A material or immaterial basis for reality is much discussed in scientific research today, in the context of information theory. The question is what are the processes going on in the brain to explain its synchrony. Electrochemical processes are really slow, so it is unsurprising that we haven't been able to find any physical structures at all that explain how communication is apparently instantaneous in the brain, and how sensory data from a multitude of sources is coordinated so quickly, without any obvious control. McTaggart and others have suggested an electromagnetic source of communication, and there is recent work on biophotons and their role in all intracellular communication, in particular the brain, that seems hopeful.

http://www.technologyreview.com/view/422069/the-puzzling-role-of-biophotons-in-the-brain/
    Some of the more recent studies suggests we are getting pretty close to being able to detect specific mental states, for instance.

http://med.stanford.edu/news/all-news/2011/05/new-imaging-method-allows-scientists-to-identify-specific-mental-states.html

Early days, of course, and I totally agree we mustn't jump to conclusions, but at the very least it seems to me that what we are seeing so far is what we would expect to see if we assume a purely materialistic model of consciousness, and not what we would expect if any of the other ones are true.

Agree, we can correlate mental activities to brain states. Where do the mental states originate, that trigger brain states and ultimately action?
    So according to you, if I give you some drugs, then the changed state of consciousness that results merely correlates with the fact you were administered them, but it is not warranted to conclude that there was some sort of causative connection between the two?

No, the opposite, as there is a physical change to the brain. The mental state you are in right now, how you perceive your surroundings and so on, is attenuated by the normal chemical cocktail in your brain. It is what allows you function in your environment. Change the cocktail and your perception changes, and depending on the drug the change can be quite extreme. Why is this? Why would our perception of what is real in our environment change because of a different neurotransmitter binding to a synapse?
    And even if I went out on a very shaky limb and accepted your position here, than we have once again merely failed to rule out a non-materialistic model of consciousness. We have not yet seen anything that actually argues in favor of it.

First I think we need to define terms. A reductionist materialistic position argues that everything we observe can be reduced to atoms, molecules and their interaction, in other words interactions between matter. Although matter does not have a universal scientific definition, most would agree it means an object that has mass and volume, unlike light for example which has neither. The evidence to me suggests we need a new model to explain how mind emerges from the brain and can also act upon the brain. An energy source with no rest mass, such as biophotons, that can interact with matter, be stored in matter, and change matter, has to be a serious candidate.

Advertisement