Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Woman and Football

• 27-06-2014 12:30am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭

Giving me hassle because all I do is "watch football on TV and go to watch football around Ireland when Dundalk play".
    She is after saying "No World Cup tomorrow night, we can go for food"
    I explained Dundalk were playing in Derry, Id be gone at half 3 and not back till half 12/1 tomorrow night...

She went mental, saying your going to have to choose someday, me or the football

I was like this before we got together and told her I would never change and she said she didnt care.

If it comes down to a choice, she got no chance!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

You need to trick her into liking football, makes the process easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Aye you need to introduce here to the idea of liking football. Dress tomorrow up as a romantic trip to Derry and see if she'd be interested in going

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

When are ye going to sort out that pitch up in Dundalk?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Giving me hassle because all I do is "watch football on TV and go to watch football around Ireland when Dundalk play".
    I explained Dundalk were playing in Derry, Id be gone at half 3 and not back till half 12/1 tomorrow night...

She went mental, saying your going to have to choose someday, me or the football

I was like this before we got together and told her I would never change and she said she didnt care.

If it comes down to a choice, she got no chance!

There's no decision to be made. There are 3 billion women in the world but just one football (proper football, not your grid iron, bogball or Aussie Rules).

To paraphrase the scumbag that is Roy Keane, "my team will always be my team. You won't always be my girlfriend".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

P_1 wrote: »
    Aye you need to introduce here to the idea of liking football. Dress tomorrow up as a romantic trip to Derry and see if she'd be interested in going

No offence, but her getting dolled up in the heels and all then landing in the Brandywell would likely see OP getting castrated.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

P_1 wrote: »

14 fellas on a piss up in a mini bus, I dont know how il dress that up as romantic

Timmyctc wrote: »
    No offence, but her getting dolled up in the heels and all then landing in the Brandywell would likely see OP getting castrated.

True, perhaps a tour of the shops of Derry for herself while the match is on might be a better idea :pac:

When are ye going to sort out that pitch up in Dundalk?

The same pitch which Uefa just passed to host Europa League games on less than 2 weeks ago?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭MacBizzle

Maybe she just doesn't like men? :p

14 fellas on a piss up in a mini bus, I dont know how il dress that up as romantic

Simples, swap the ales for vino :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Any person that chooses football over a woman needs their head examined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Call her bluff, look her in the eye and say ''I've decided, I choose football. Take care.''

Walk away like a boss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭KeithM89

I'd rather eat my own face than watch Dundalk play but you should just cut her loose now, sounds like a right moody cow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Personal Issues is that way
    > :P

The same pitch which Uefa just passed to host Europa League games on less than 2 weeks ago?

As far as I know Pairc Uí Chaoimh is of the standard to hold a Champions League final.

'Nuff said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Lucifer MorningStar

If it has tits or tires, it's gonna be trouble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

WOOF.

Women Out Of Football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

If it has tits or tires, it's gonna be trouble

If she has both ye may cut all ties now :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Promise to give her earth shaking orgasms every time Dundalk win.

(Your gonna be shot of her in no time)

Promise to give her earth shaking orgasms every time Dundalk win.

(Your gonna be shot of her in no time)

You do realise Dundalk are Top of the League and win most weeks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭A cow called Daisy

Did you just say you would "be playing away from home"?
    No wonder she not a happy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Any person that chooses football over a woman needs their head examined.

Any man who chooses the woman who makes him chose between her and his hobby is a gobsh*te.

WOOF.

Women Out Of Football.

Or Welsh out of football.....

MacBizzle wrote: »
    As far as I know Pairc Uí Chaoimh is of the standard to hold a Champions League final.

'Nuff said.

Too small, no proper security, terraced standing...

Not even of the standard to host an International friendly.

Seaneh wrote: »

It's probably of a better standard than what Heysel Stadium was when it hosted Liverpool-Juventus that day. It just shows how far football has come in safety standards.

In all seriousness, Páirc Úi Chaoimh is a terrible, cramped stadium. How it's able to host a major sporting event of any sort is beyond me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Do what my dad did. Dump your girlfriend for the woman behind the bar, indoctrinate the kids early, and have two out of the three involved in football in some way, whether playing or refereeing. And never miss a Friday night in Dalymount, even with a newborn.

Seaneh wrote: »

By UEFA's standards it is, technically. (I've heard this somewhere, correct me if I'm wrong)

Obviously in reality it isn't. :p

I'll miss it all the same, many a time I've cut myself on the sharp backs of the seats :rolleyes:

MacBizzle wrote: »
    By UEFA's standards it is, technically. (I've heard this somewhere, correct me if I'm wrong)

Obviously in reality it isn't. :p

I'll miss it all the same, many a time I've cut myself on the sharp backs of the seats :rolleyes:

You're wrong, I'm correcting you.

Lansdowne Road isn't even of technically or otherwise of the standard to host the champions league final because it's too small and it's a damnd site closer than the stadium in cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I had the same problem myself with the '98 World Cup.We had just moved in together , bought the house , everything was going fine for her , till the ol football started.

She gave me an ultimatum , her or the football .

Back she went to her mother for the whole tournament.

16 years later and we have a herd of young lads who are all football mad .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Nothing should ever come between a man and Dundalk.

Ah here.

Never be with a partner who makes you choose.

Never be in a relationship where you've to ask permission.

Never be in a relationship where you are "not allowed" to do things.

Never ever be with someone who doesn't understand that the World Cup is the most exciting thing to happen in the life of a football fan, only surpassed by the Euros if Ireland are there, and doesn't happen very often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

If she didn't want to get into this situation, she shouldn't have gone out with a football fan. I haven't gone out with a proper football fan for over 10 years probably subconsciously for this very reason (although I've nothing against anyone following it).

Does she have her own interests?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

You do realise Dundalk are Top of the League and win most weeks?

No. No I didn't. Too busy with the burd to notice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Nothing should ever come between a man and Dundalk.

Hopefully around 90km between us as a safe buffer zone will do me nicely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Alf. A. Male

Ah here.

Never be with a partner who makes you choose.

Never be in a relationship where you've to ask permission.

Never be in a relationship where you are "not allowed" to do things.

Never ever be with someone who doesn't understand that the World Cup is the most exciting thing to happen in the life of a football fan, only surpassed by the Euros if Ireland are there, and doesn't happen very often.

PM sent. I see a big future for us, mostly in front of the telly, with trips to France, Russia and Qatar thrown in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭Gannicus

DeanAustin wrote: »
    There's no decision to be made. There are 3 billion women in the world but just one football (proper football, not your grid iron, bogball or Aussie Rules).

To paraphrase the scumbag that is Roy Keane, "my team will always be my team. You won't always be my girlfriend".

And if she read this thread, she'll probably be your ex-girlfriend very soon. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Can she drive OP?
    thelad95 wrote: »
    Or Welsh out of football.....

Or '**** out of Football' but if that came to pass there wouldn't be many left, just a load of **** looking for something to fill the void.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

OP, I suggest encouraging her participation in these football outings by giving her a little project, such as getting a category "D1" driving license. Two words - Booze Bus! :cool:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/motoring_1/driver_licensing/learner_driving_permits_for_buses_and_trucks.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Get rid of the woman, leave her, move in with the lads and have the craic. The craic man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Ah the old women vs football agenda. I get the same from my missus although I have to say she's been very decent about the world cup. I've watced pretty much every match and she hasn't 'really' complained about it. She knows I absolutely love football if I'm not watching it I'm playing it 3-4 nights a week.

She only has a couple of rules I've to go by , I'm not allowed talk to her about football and I'm not allowed complain when I'm injured from over playing.

I once did drunkenly say when out with friends that I prefered playing football to having sex which brought the whole table to silence...I'm not sure how much I meant that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,646 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Buy her this

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭RoiSoleil

Twist - OP's missus ends up liking football. Follows Drogheda.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Irishcrx wrote: »
    Ah the old women vs football agenda. I get the same from my missus although I have to say she's been very decent about the world cup. I've watced pretty much every match and she hasn't 'really' complained about it. She knows I absolutely love football if I'm not watching it I'm playing it 3-4 nights a week.

She only has a couple of rules I've to go by , I'm not allowed talk to her about football and I'm not allowed complain when I'm injured from over playing.

I once did drunkenly say when out with friends that I prefered playing football to having sex which brought the whole table to silence...I'm not sure how much I meant that.

My missus thinks the rule is that I can watch some games as long as I talk to her during them.

The argument that ensued when she insisted that I talk to her during City v Spurs (for CL qualification) a few years back almost split us up.

To this day, she still doesn't understand why, for that 90 minutes, football was the only thing that mattered in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I explained Dundalk were playing in Derry, Id be gone at half 3 and not back till half 12/1 tomorrow night..!

Rookie mistake not outlining domestic football duties at start of relationship. She probably thought being a supporter meant going to the local pub. :)

Plus you have to even up for the away trips in other ways like taking kids for the day so she can head out or take her for a meal or whatever. Fair's fair.

My missus thinks the rule is that I can watch some games as long as I talk to her during them.

Get rid!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

The argument that ensued when she insisted that I talk to her during City v Spurs (for CL qualification) a few years back almost split us up.

To this day, she still doesn't understand why, for that 90 minutes, football was the only thing that mattered in the world.

Reminds me of how angry I was when she was trying to talk to me when Utd got knocked out of the champions leauge 2 years ago, Might have been Bilbao that out us out , there she is banging on about needing to talk to me. I'm there on my feet giving out blue murder at the TV, ranting and asking WTF her problem was could she not see I was distracted like... then she said...

'Irishcrx.......I'm pregnant.......'

Suddenly I'd forgotten all about Utd being knocked out.......I was knocked out...

Irishcrx wrote: »
    ..I was knocked out...
    Bit remiss of her to hit you that hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

Your wife is right, soccer is a sissy sport for sissy boys, sort your life out man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

If you're away following the team every week that's a bit excessive. If you stick to your guns I hope you enjoy sleeping alone under your football themed duvet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement