Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

There's something seriously dodgy going on with Plenty Of Fish. Fake profiles ahoy!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Was the Eagles music playing in the background?

So I ran some of their pictures through Google Images and whatta ya know.

How does one do this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭worded

So I joined up recently for a nose and got chatting to what seemed like a couple of nice girls. Or so I thought.

My gut feeling wasnt sitting right on some of the replies and questions, they seemed a little too generic, copied and pasted. So I ran some of their pictures through Google Images and whatta ya know. The same picture comes up on multiple profiles. If you go to click on them in Google another girl shows up. So maybe the image was held in Google's cache and the messers just rotate images?

Ive since heard that Plenty Of Fish employees themselves set these up as the amount of men vs women ration on the site is getting a bit crazy and they want to keep the men hooked, so to speak.

Here's what I found and this was with just two I did some sleuthing on. Id say the site is full of this kind of thing.

http://img42.com/bIzhX

So I ran some of their pictures through Google Images. - how do you do that ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭umop.episdn

Plenty of fish? Are you codding me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

How does one do this?
    worded wrote: »
    So I ran some of their pictures through Google Images. - how do you do that ?

Simples :)
    Have one browser window open with google images from a search (any search) Then drop and drag an image (from another browser tab/window) into the google images search bar.

Simples :)
    Have one browser window open with google images from a search (any search) Then drop and drag an image (from another browser tab/window) into the google images search bar.

AWESOME!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭desultory

Or if you're using chrome then right click and press s, will reverse search the image.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭donegal__road

its a red herring OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

The problem with PoF, and most online dating sites, is that the majority of men are only on it for the jump, which in turn makes it harder for the genuine women looking for genuine men.

• Advertisement

They really should change how it's marketed. 60% of the men and women on this thing appear to have slept with each other at some stage, which is grand and everything..but hardly where you'd be looking for a relationship

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

So I joined up recently for a nose and got chatting to what seemed like a couple of nice girls. Or so I thought.

My gut feeling wasnt sitting right on some of the replies and questions, they seemed a little too generic, copied and pasted. So I ran some of their pictures through Google Images and whatta ya know. The same picture comes up on multiple profiles. If you go to click on them in Google another girl shows up. So maybe the image was held in Google's cache and the messers just rotate images?

Ive since heard that Plenty Of Fish employees themselves set these up as the amount of men vs women ration on the site is getting a bit crazy and they want to keep the men hooked, so to speak.

Here's what I found and this was with just two I did some sleuthing on. Id say the site is full of this kind of thing.

What's happening is that you did a google image search so google returned the girls actual profile + a handful of other peoples profiles.

When you look at a profile there are 5 other peoples profile photos above it who around the same age and are in the same area as the person you're looking at.

There is no conspiracy here.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭shampooman

Ha ummm I actually know one of the girls that you linked and she is very much real so either the post above mine is correct, perhaps others have robbed her image or maybe she simply had different profiles... as in she closed one down and over a period of time re-opened a new one! I doubt she be terribly happy if she saw this thread though :P

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Chin Stroker

Seaneh wrote: »
    What's happening is that you did a google image search so google returned the girls actual profile + a handful of other peoples profiles.

When you look at a profile there are 5 other peoples profile photos above it who around the same age and are in the same area as the person you're looking at.

There is no conspiracy here.

So let me get this right. I run a check on 3 profiles that Im weary of and Google confirms my suspicions with multiple profiles found for the same person.

And yet when I do the same for 5 or 6 profiles that dont give off dodgy vibes, just one profile match comes back.

Example here, same profile, 3 different links BUT all the same profile.

Real person

http://img42.com/2lTYN

What is different about this profile compared to the fake girls is that the latter ones had different names, locations and in some cases, birth places!

Fakers

http://img42.com/fUsXS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

A time to stroke your chin if ever there was one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

--LOS-- wrote: »
    A time to stroke your chin if ever there was one
    Or something else.

• Advertisement

desultory wrote: »
    They really should change how it's marketed. 60% of the men and women on this thing appear to have slept with each other at some stage,

Speaking from experience?

Speaking from experience?

Yes.

Good man ;)

Good man ;)

What :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭popolive

The problem with PoF, and most online dating sites, is that the majority of men are only on it for the jump, which in turn makes it harder for the genuine women looking for genuine men.

you could say that about the pub and in the pub you would meet more promiscuous women than men as most women can get the jump a lot easier ! Caveat Emptor always !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

popolive wrote: »
    you could say that about the pub and in the pub you would meet more promiscuous women than men as most women can get the jump a lot easier ! Caveat Emptor always !

Can someone please explain to me, if women can get a shag more easily than men, then who are they shagging??

Can someone please explain to me, if women can get a shag more easily than men, then who are they shagging??

The 1% of Alpha males i.e Me. Sorry to break the news to you buddy :pac::p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Yeah the distribution of fúcks is uneven. In a group of 20, say 9 women have sex once each. One guy will have had sex with four of them, another with two, three guys had sex with one each and five guys don't get laid at all.
    Made up numbers, but you get the idea.

Yeah the distribution of fúcks is uneven. In a group of 20, say 9 women have sex once each. One guy will have had sex with four of them, another with two, three guys had sex with one each and five guys don't get laid at all.
    Made up numbers, but you get the idea.

Sorry, but that sounds like absolute shite to me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 19 Saulcortez

Why?

There's always a few men who are great with women.

Saulcortez wrote: »
    Why?

There's always a few men who are great with women.

And there's always a few women who are great with men.

This idea that there's some sort of disparity between the two sexes and how 'easy' it is for them to get laid in general is what I'm disagreeing with. It's nonsense.

Why do you assume those who are looking for casual sex aren't genuine?

Yes it is shyte but it is also the reality. I have higher standards but even women in terrible condition get laid for free. Men in terrible condition don't get laid especially not for free.

Pity it's true then eh, women can always pull easier than men. It takes a stunningly good looking man to be able to walk into a room and know that they'll be going home with someone. Average women go out and will spend most of the night rejecting men's approaches. It's very rare for those roles to be reversed.

Why do you assume those who are looking for casual sex aren't genuine?

I think s/he means they aren't genuine in their search for a relationship

• Advertisement

Pity it's true then eh, women can always pull easier than men. It takes a stunningly good looking man to be able to walk into a room and know that they'll be going home with someone. Average women go out and will spend most of the night rejecting men's approaches. It's very rare for those roles to be reversed.

I completely disagree, any man who is not socially dysfunctional can go out on a Friday night and be guaranteed to go home with a woman, if that's what he's after. The same goes for women.

The traditional roles whereby men do the chasing and women just stand around to be approached is way overstated, and while it does lean that way, it also says nothing about how likely you are to be successful.

If a man has to walk up to a woman and chat her up, rather than waiting to be approached, that means it was hard for him to get laid? Not buying in to that at all.

No disrespect intended, but how old are you guys? Sounds a lot like how I viewed the world when I was around 17.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

You must be a very handsome man, Maximus.

I completely disagree, any man who is not socially dysfunctional can go out on a Friday night and be guaranteed to go home with a woman, if that's what he's after. The same goes for women.

The traditional roles whereby men do the chasing and women just stand around to be approached is way overstated, and while it does lean that way, it also says nothing about how likely you are to be successful.

If a man has to walk up to a woman and chat her up, rather than waiting to be approached, that means it was hard for him to get laid? Not buying in to that at all.

No disrespect intended, but how old are you guys? Sounds a lot like how I viewed the world when I was around 17.

I'm 27.

If you genuinely believe that it's all equal then that's all good, you're entitled to believe what you want.
    However the evidence would suggest very very different.

catallus wrote: »
    You must be a very handsome man, Maximus.

I must be better looking than I realized anyway if this discussion is anything to go by. :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

So let me get this right. I run a check on 3 profiles that Im weary of and Google confirms my suspicions with multiple profiles found for the same person.

And yet when I do the same for 5 or 6 profiles that dont give off dodgy vibes, just one profile match comes back.

Example here, same profile, 3 different links BUT all the same profile.

Real person

http://img42.com/2lTYN

What is different about this profile compared to the fake girls is that the latter ones had different names, locations and in some cases, birth places!

Fakers

http://img42.com/fUsXS

As I explained, the thumbnail from the original profile is showing up above other peoples profiles. Search anybodies profile image on google and the same thing happens. Feck, search your own profile photo and the same will happen.

If You click the other links it won't have that photo on the profile, it will have it as one of the 7 above it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

Judging from the images I think the real crime here is it looks like somebody is still using windows XP!!

I'm 27.

If you genuinely believe that it's all equal then that's all good, you're entitled to believe what you want.
    However the evidence would suggest very very different.

Fair enough, not looking for an argument. This just doesn't mesh with my own experience and what I see around me among friends, colleagues and so forth. I guess we've both just had different experiences.

I must be better looking than I realized anyway if this discussion is anything to go by. :eek:

If you find it easy to go home with the woman of your choice every night I'd say you're of model status. You should most definitely look into it, it's good for money on the side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Fair enough, not looking for an argument. This just doesn't mesh with my own experience and what I see around me among friends, colleagues and so forth. I guess we've both just had different experiences.

Probably orgies every night!? You bastard! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Watch Catfish if it hasnt been mentioned on here yet.

catallus wrote: »
    Probably orgies every night!? You bastard! :mad:

Haha, nothing like that at all. Sure I'm all settled down that last few years.

If you find it easy to go home with the woman of your choice every night I'd say you're of model status. You should most definitely look into it, it's good for money on the side.

Ah here, that's not what I said. I said it's easy to go home with someone. The majority of women don't get to just choose any man and go home with him either.

The fact of the matter is a lot of men do find it incredibly difficult to get laid due social and sexual anxiety. You can dismiss that as much as you want with thinly veiled insults bit it doesn't change the facts.

Ah here, that's not what I said. I said it's easy to go home with someone. The majority of women don't get to just choose any man and go home with him either.

Ahhh ha, right yeah well I get ya now. Well I'd say that women have a much better choice then, you will rarely find women looking around for someone as it gets near to closing time.
    Whereas for men this is so common it's almost a running joke

I have seen good looking male friends getting stuck into whales shaped ladies (for want of a better word) . A mate even tried to snog a granny once. Thats the power of alcohol or whatever. We found it hilarious and slightly disturbing at the time. In most cases they were thankful if they had been saved from a fate worse than death combined with hangover the next day.

I have never seen a model standard woman snogging a fat sweaty balding man. Have you ?

• Advertisement

For some it's easy, most men haven't their ability to talk to and flirt with women well enough to easily be able to approach a woman and have sex with her that night.

The fact of the matter is a lot of men do find it incredibly difficult to get laid due social and sexual anxiety. You can dismiss that as much as you want with thinly veiled insults bit it doesn't change the facts.

I'm not dismissing that or insulting anyone! I'm saying that the same applies to women, and this view of a lopsided sexual playing field doesn't mesh with my experience of reality.

There's loads of women out there too who are anxious and low on confidence and aren't just standing around in clubs vacuuming up penises at will.

I'm not dismissing that or insulting anyone! I'm saying that the same applies to women, and this view of a lopsided sexual playing field doesn't mesh with my experience of reality.

There's loads of women out there too who are anxious and low on confidence and aren't just standing around in clubs vacuuming up penises at will.

Yes there are women who find it difficult to get laid but it's much less frequent than men.

What :confused:

As in you were part of the 60% of POF that are all riding each other :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

A bit too much stalking going on here.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement