Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arts 2009

Options
  • 06-07-2009 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

Hey I've just noticed that a few people here are starting Arts in UCC this September.

Maybe we could try get to know each other- stating what subjects you're going to choose and maybe some background info.

Who knows, we all might end up running into each other next year :pac:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

Maybe. Or maybe not. I don't want to be seen with the likes of you. :eek::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

unlike Byron, I'm a nice guy :pac:

I'm thinking of doing:

English
    Geography
    Maths Studies
    Psychology

What kind of background story do you want? :pac:

Larkin501 wrote: »
    unlike Byron, I'm a nice guy :pac:

Lies!! Lies and subterfuge!!!

Anyway, i'll be doing the following subjects (hopefully) and in order of preference.

Psychology
    History
    Sociology
    Religions and Global Diveristy

Also I got in as a mature student and before you ask i'm 24. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Skapoot

Alright Byron I'll avoid you in History and Psychology so! :rolleyes:

Hello to both of you, Im doing Chinese, Psychology, English and History.

Background story as in, what's your deal. Are you straight outta da hood? Are you straight out of the big L.C? Any kind of info you wish to give.

I started in U.L two years ago. Chose Business with Japanese. Business turned out to be the most un-intellectually challenging and boring course in the entire world. (Slight exaggeration but I really detest it). Japanese was great though.

So Im going to be 21 pretty soon after starting so Im going to be one of the few old and crusty ones there! Not too keen about starting with a bunch of seventeen year olds who think that dropping out is literally-"the end of the world", and that first year is about drinking the **** out of it and sleeping around.

But Im not judging all of them...Im sure a percentage will be down to earth...hopefully :pac:

byron. You're a cool guy :pac:

Yeah, i'm straight out of the L.C. And i'm pretty down to earth. I'll work hard from the very start of college. I don't drink so there'll be no wasted nights and hungover mornings :rolleyes:

Might see you in English and Psychology

• Advertisement

Skapoot wrote: »
    Alright Byron I'll avoid you in History and Psychology so! :rolleyes:

Hello to both of you, Im doing Chinese, Psychology, English and History.

Background story as in, what's your deal. Are you straight outta da hood? Are you straight out of the big L.C? Any kind of info you wish to give.

I started in U.L two years ago. Chose Business with Japanese. Business turned out to be the most un-intellectually challenging and boring course in the entire world. (Slight exaggeration but I really detest it). Japanese was great though.

So Im going to be 21 pretty soon after starting so Im going to be one of the few old and crusty ones there! Not too keen about starting with a bunch of seventeen year olds who think that dropping out is literally-"the end of the world", and that first year is about drinking the **** out of it and sleeping around.

But Im not judging all of them...Im sure a percentage will be down to earth...hopefully :pac:

Cool! I'm a nice guy really. I'm just generally quiet and keep to myself in college so I tend to come off as being arrogant or a dickhead.

So my story, is that I did my leaving cert when I was 18. I then studied for a Degree in Journalism in Griffith College in Dublin. Loved the course but hated Dublin. So I took a year out to decide what to do. Then when I should have been going back into second year I moved to Cork instead. I've wanted to study psychology for a few years now so I was waiting until I could apply as a mature student, which was this year. In the meantime I just finished a PLC course in Psychology and Social Studies in the College of Commerce which was great. Unfortunately I didn't get into the BA in Psychology but I got into Arts. I can study it through Arts, but only as a minor, and can then go on to do a post grad HDip in Psychology straight afterwards so that I can then go on and do a Masters. That's roughly my story!

What made you want to go to UCC?

i'm from Cork so it was an easy decision for me to go :pac:

Besides, my brother went and he said it's a great college with nice students.

I was thinking of going forward with psychology myself. I know i would not have been able to get 505 points in the L.C. This year. So i thought i'd study it in arts :pac:

I hear the College of Commerce is run by the devil! That the teachers are evil and domineering.

Hm. I heard that if you get an extremely high result in first year Psychology you get offered to transfer to the Applied Psychology degree!

I guess its competition time for both of ye! :D

I hear the College of Commerce is run by the devil! That the teachers are evil and domineering.

Hm. I heard that if you get an extremely high result in first year Psychology you get offered to transfer to the Applied Psychology degree!

I guess its competition time for both of ye! :D

The College of Commerce is grand. I had no real problems there. Then again I was one of the eldest in the class.

Regarding transferring into the Applied Psychology Degree, i've been hearing different things. It says on the website that you can't but i've been told by 2 former Arts students that you can. So I guess I won't know until I ask some faculty members myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Ancee

A word of advice given from experience - chose the order of your subjects carefully. You are guaranteed your 1st and 2nd subjects on your list but not the 3rd or 4th, if you want to do English put it in as no. 1 or 2, you will definitely not get a place on the course if you put it lower on the list, it's prob the most popular subject. Also check the subject combinations you can choose on the UCC website as you can only pick one subject from each group due to clashes of timetable.

• Advertisement

Yeah I guess mature students get better treatment than others. Oh yeah I chose cork btw because Limerick is the sleaziest University in the whole of Ireland. The stories I have looking back actually make me sick! Dublin is just too full of nobs (imo) And its fast paced and has a lack of friendliness. Galway is too rainy. So It was a process of elimination. And all my friends are in Cork anyways, a good deal all round.

Yeah I suppose just striving to get the best results in psychology and then asking the course leader of Applied Psychology would be the best way ta go. You'd never know!

For some reason Im hoping to continue on with Psychology after first year too. All three of us will be in direct competition for the best results.

For some reason Im hoping to continue on with Psychology after first year too. All three of us will be in direct competition for the best results.

Cool :cool:

We'll all be psychologists in the end :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭quoteunquote

Hello everyone! I'm hoping to do English and German.

Before applying for Arts, I went to UL to study Digital Media Design. I lasted about a week there and had to leave because I hated the place and the course so much. So Skapoot, I share your hatred of UL.

Oh and I'm not a mature student. I'm just a little babby. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

byron. You're a cool guy :pac:

Yeah, i'm straight out of the L.C. And i'm pretty down to earth. I'll work hard from the very start of college. I don't drink so there'll be no wasted nights and hungover mornings :rolleyes:

What a barrel of laughs you'll be

Hello everyone! I'm hoping to do English and German.

Before applying for Arts, I went to UL to study Digital Media Design. I lasted about a week there and had to leave because I hated the place and the course so much. So Skapoot, I share your hatred of UL.

Oh and I'm not a mature student. I'm just a little babby. :D

Lol, you hate UL too? That's cool. The Lodge (did you go to the lodge?) Pretty much sums up the student population of U.L. Disgusting, sweaty etc.

So you must be ..amm.. 19?

What a barrel of laughs you'll be

You just wait and see :pac:

Just think of me as the responsible guy

You just wait and see :pac:

Just think of me as the responsible boring guy

FYP

only messin dude there's room for all!!

Where are all you freshers going to be living??

do you know in all my time in UCC i've only ever actually seen one other persoon on Boards. Altho i wouldn't be in the library often which probably explains that!!

Where are all you freshers going to be living??

I'm from Cork City so it's easy for me to just get the bus in the morning and afternoon. So I'm just going to stay at home :D

And before anybody says "Why don't you just move out?". Let me just say that I don't have to pay rent or bills. And I don't have to pay for food :pac:

I was living in cork for the last year so... I'll find a random house on Daft I suppose. Heads up to new people coming to cork - dont live on college road.

Paying like, 100euro a week to have your windows broken and ****ty houses. Aaahh .... no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭quoteunquote

Lol, you hate UL too? That's cool. The Lodge (did you go to the lodge?) Pretty much sums up the student population of U.L. Disgusting, sweaty etc.

So you must be ..amm.. 19?

Yeah, the Lodge was pretty bad. So was Stables. GAA heads wall to wall.

And yep I'm 19.

Anyway, back on topic, anyone planning on joining any societies yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

The idea of this thread is a very good one, i'm finished my first year in Arts and its a difficult course in which to make friends. The classes are so big that could meet a person in one lecture, and then not see him/her again for weeks. If you're an oldie like me (25) its even more difficult. I'd say i only got to know maybe 4 or 5 people really well throughout the whole year.

grenache wrote: »
    The idea of this thread is a very good one, i'm finished my first year in Arts and its a difficult course in which to make friends. The classes are so big that could meet a person in one lecture, and then not see him/her again for weeks. If you're an oldie like me (25) its even more difficult. I'd say i only got to know maybe 4 or 5 people really well throughout the whole year.

I'm a relatively young "oldie" so at 24. :D

I'm a relatively young "oldie" so at 24. :D

you forget how young 17 and 18 really is, the majority have ZERO by way if life experience

you forget how young 17 and 18 really is, the majority have ZERO by way if life experience

I know. I was doing a PLC course for the last year and just he general level of maturity and all round cop on was noticeably different between the others around my age and the others who were around 18 or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Napoli

Hey all.
    I graduated from Arts in Trinity in May, majoring in Italian and Classics. I signed up to start another Arts undergrad degree in UCC this September, mainly because I don't want to work and I love learning. I'm 24 btw and I'm looking forward to getting stuck into 17yr Cork gee. This time round I'm thinking of doing English and Philosophy.

Napoli wrote: »
    Hey all.
    I graduated from Arts in Trinity in May, majoring in Italian and Classics. I signed up to start another Arts undergrad degree in UCC this September, mainly because I don't want to work and I love learning. I'm 24 btw and I'm looking forward to getting stuck into 17yr Cork gee. This time round I'm thinking of doing English and Philosophy.

quality post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Hey all.

Best post so far, lol and a half

Hey all.

Hehe I can't wait to see you :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I know. I was doing a PLC course for the last year and just he general level of maturity and all round cop on was noticeably different between the others around my age and the others who were around 18 or so.
    Geography is the one subject that seems to attract the real immature ones. Its a sort of cover-all school subject that a lot of students see as a soft touch and think 'sure that will be easy'. Several times in the year gone past did i want to throw large objects at the nattering shower of 18 year old girls at the back of the lecture theatre. Some people in that class just wouldn't shut up, even when told to do so by the lecturer. I would shudder to think i was like this when i was 18! But you'd be amazed the amount of growing up some people will do in year, college is a good experience in terms of kicking folk up the rear end. You learn the hard way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Hey all.

Hmm. I quite like that idea!

Advertisement