Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving the G/f

Options
  • 16-02-2008 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

:(Leaving the g/f, headin away on work in india for 2-3 months. Love her so much, almost to the extent that I dont want to go now.
    Were so staying together for duration of it. the thought of breaking up didn even enter my mind.

Any advice though how to deal with this kinda stuff??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

skype, a laptop and a webcam will be ur friend, its only 3 months so it wont be too bad you will still be able to talk, just think of 2 or 3 months down the road when she is picking you up at airport

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

You should be alright my girlfriend went to france for the year. In the meantime i found a job in galway and moved there for a while, its hard but try and make a trip or 3 back while your over there. Just keep in contact texts, emails, calls,etc
    . the 3 months wont seem like any time at all.

Were still together as well ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Yup a friend of mine went to the US for 6 months whilst his gf was here, that was a few years ago, they're still good. It's tough, but as rory said - txts/calls/msn etc, keep in touch and ye can get through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

You can totally deal with this, it's only three months.
    Like others said, use the webcam the phone etc and make a few visits.
    It'll be fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Been there,done it.Say ur too busy one day to manage a call/email.
    A text will do,some kind of contact.The odd present/card would help aswell

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 meremortal

Three months really is not all that long - it will be tough though. Just be sure to contact her as much as you can and reassure her as much as you can because it will be tougher for her. You will be experiencing new things, and will not have constant reminders of her. She will be in the same routine doing the same things and will need your reassurance. While skype/ webcam etc will be brilliant - I strongly recommend personal letters too - theres nothing like getting something in the post!!! Two friends of mine have a notebook that they started when they first started dating - that they each write a favourite memory in it, and stick in a picture or something (they each use about two pages each time) and they post it to eachother every few days..... they live together now and still post it to eachother!!!! Its something private to them that they will always have. I think they're onto their second or third book now!!!

Good luck.... and remember.... ENJOY yourself!!!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Keep in contact best you can, it is so cheap to stay in touch these days so you have no excuses. :) Send letters and then when you return you can read them to each other and you can tell your tales of travels. Good luck. I've been there before, let me know if I can help further, feel free to PM.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Op how long have you been going out?

I have spent a good bit of time away from my parter, sometimes in areas where there no way to communicate. Its not easy but as suggested above, webcam/skype will be your friend.

Of course the time difference will not you will be getting up and she will be out drinking, strange thoughts can enter your mind. Think good things is what helped me through.

Oh and coming through the arrivals gate and seeing her, there is no better feeling in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭funloving

Skype,webcams,texts and emails will help you a lot dealing with this.
    I am in a long distance relation myself and I can guarantee that two persons can feel close to each other despite not being physical together.
    Keep in touch as best as you can...
    you can also buy international phone cards and talk on the phone and send real letters instead of mails as well...
    When I send postcards I usually spray some of the perfume I use so that the person can smell it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭funloving

Oh and coming through the arrivals gate and seeing her, there is no better feeling in the world.

+ 10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

All of the above.Also another thing is to ask her to join boards.Then you can also contact each other by PM like me and my gf do.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 okman

We've bein goin out for 5 months. Best 5 months a my life!
    **** I actually think I cant go through with this its that hard!
    It just seems like such a long time to be away from her for....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭the dee

Me and my boyfriend had been together for 2 months when I had to leave him in Australia. We were apart for 3 months while he saved up enough money to move to Ireland. Phone calls and emails and presents in the post helped. We really missed each other. It was so hard to be apart.

Once he arrived here we were better than ever. Some time apart can really help you get perspective and appreciate the other person all the more.

He's going back to Australia this week, I'm following 2 weeks later. I'm dreading being apart for any amount of time but I know we'll get through it and I look forward to seeing his smiling face when I step off the plane :)

Don't let missing a loved one stop you from doing what you want to do. It sounds like working in India could be a great experience for you. When would you get the chance to do that again? She'll understand that and you'll be back together before you know it!

Advertisement