Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modularisation of Taught Masters?

Options
  • 14-07-2009 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

I got accepted into a MBS taught masters and assumed it was the normal September to March college year with the exams in May (like it's always been)... then I get this message:

"DUE TO MODULARISATION OF TAUGHT MASTERS DEGREES IN UCC, THE MBS (Business Information Systems) will be a full 12 month programme for the academic year 2009/2010."

Does anyone know what the hell this means? So is it the same modules just spread out over a whole year? Then when are the exams? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

What Masters is this Dan?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭DanCorb

razorblunt wrote: »
    What Masters is this Dan?

CKL01 - http://www.ucc.ie/en/CKL01/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 curlynettie

dunno, i'm doing a taught masters and its sept-march.
    i did one before and it was 9 months then exams, then 3 months in the summer for dissertation, maybe thats what it means

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

they changed it to 12 months this year alright. dont know what modularization means but email the course coordinator. he'll be able to tell you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭donnaille

Exams are still in May as far as I know but during the course you undertake an "innovative" project, this previously was completed just after exams as far as I know. This year it will continue to run throughout the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 marty87

Hi Dan

I'm a previous UL student where we use modularisation in all our undergraduate courses, it basically just means that the year is broken up into two seperate sections with two sets of final exams. The first ones probably before christmas and the next set in may or June. They only test you on the modules you have done for that "semester" (as they call it)

As far as I know for Masters students there is a dissertation for 3 months after the exams and thats how it then adds up to a year duration.

Modularisation is a much better system, doesn't allow a whole year of work to gather up that you have to cram for.

Are all masters in UCC modularised? I'm doing one in Engineering, it'd be great if it was.

Advertisement