Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paruresis / Stage Fright / Pee Shy

Options
  • 18-02-2008 1:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭

I, as with a lot of people in Ireland suffer from Stage Fright.

Basic story is that while I can pee in a cubicle, if there is another person in a restroom, I just cannot go at a cubicle. I just lock up.

I dunno why I have this fear. I'm not afraid of actually peeing. I'm afraid of not being able to pee.

Anyways, I'm just wondering does anyone else here suffer from it. According to the internet, it says that surveys show 7 to 32 of people suffer it.

I've thrown in a poll to try to see what the stats are like here. Please vote truthfully. No one can see which way you vote.

If you suffer from paruresis (you can't go at a cubicle in front of someone, or worse) then vote yes.

Do you suffer from Paruresis 11 votes

Yes, all the time
    0% 0 votes
    Yes, but not all the time
    36% 4 votes
    Not at all
    63% 7 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

yes, quite often. it sucks, but it's hardly a big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,872 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Its instinct. Fight or Flight kicks in because on an instinctive level you perceive the other people in the restroom as threats. Has ties with self confidence issues but I've learned to live with it personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

No polls permitted in PI. Poll closed.

Please stick to PI issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Porkpie

The steel wall/trough thing is the worst. I get this problem too. Everything is on view and the guy beside you can see in the corner of his eye that you're niagara isn't falling. And that makes you dry up even more. In any other peeing situation I'm actually okay. As long as there's some kind of partition I'll go. Waiting until I'm absolutely bursting to go works sometimes. Closing my eyes has also worked. A few of my mates suffer from this, it's more common than you'd realise!

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭rondeco

Would you believe I have the cure to this problem? I suffered from stage fright for a long time until I was taught the most amazing trick ever. Apparently the part of the brain that controls your bladder muscles also does arithmetic. So, next time you're at a standstill, try this: 'Long division'. It works! 31 into 765.. 13 into 984.. any figures. You mightn't get the answer right but you'll end up peeing. Its helped me so much!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭2Scoops

Here are two suggestions for sufferers. I'm not one though - I'm the guy that makes you afraid to pee! :D
    1. Just wait until you really, really need to go. Nothing will stop it.
    2. I read somewhere that if you visualize yourself going from the other guy's wiener, then you loosen up and start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

THis really isnt a pi TBH.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement