Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying UK write-off. Whats the procedure?

• 28-02-2013 12:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭

I started wondering - if I got cat D or C write off from UK or NI.

Assuming car has to be repaired prior to taking it on the road - what's the VRT procedure?
    Will they VRT damaged car? If so at what rate?
    Otherwise repairs might take some time, and VRT 1 months time limit might be exceeded.

Also if car is driveable and fully safe, but was written off in UK, does that make this car illegal to be driven on Irish roads?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Why put yourself through the hassle? :confused: I don't know the procedure, but it seems like a lot of hassle.

Just buy a 'straight' car and have done with it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Why put yourself through the hassle? :confused:

Some people enjoy putting a car back together as a project and hobby, I think it's a great idea if that's your thing :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Have known 2 lads who have done it, both were Cat D and they seemed to save a fair whack of money. But as said you would want to be "into it" or know some good body shop who will fix it up correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

My way of thinking is that you can buy a write-off car way cheaper.
    Then even considering cost of repair + hassle it might be worth it.

I'm not saying about heavily crashed car, but something with a small damage.

Example: http://www.comiskeyvehicleservices.com/details.asp?CarID=8498&Make=11&Model=430&Engine=&Fuel=2&GearBox=&Body=&min_pr=&max_pr=&Year=&SortOrder=ByModel&offset=0

Car is cat. D write off, but as you can see it's perfectly driveable and safe.

What I'm wondering though can this car be driven legally on Irish roads before it's repaired?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭shooter88

CiniO wrote: »
    My way of thinking is that you can buy a write-off car way cheaper.
    Then even considering cost of repair + hassle it might be worth it.

I'm not saying about heavily crashed car, but something with a small damage.

Example: http://www.comiskeyvehicleservices.com/details.asp?CarID=8498&Make=11&Model=430&Engine=&Fuel=2&GearBox=&Body=&min_pr=&max_pr=&Year=&SortOrder=ByModel&offset=0

Car is cat. D write off, but as you can see it's perfectly driveable and safe.

What I'm wondering though can this car be driven legally on Irish roads before it's repaired?
    No you won't be allowed drive it,if the gards stop a car which is obviously damaged they can impound it and sent it to be tested if it fails you could be in trouble..
    From the time the car comes into the country you have 10dats to get it inspected for vrt if you go over 10s and are stopped it could be impounded but if you intend keeping it off the road untill road worthy it will incur a small penalty per day I think its .2%
    Iv seen some real bargains and well worth doing

• Advertisement

shooter88 wrote: »
    No you won't be allowed drive it,if the gards stop a car which is obviously damaged they can impound it and sent it to be tested if it fails you could be in trouble..

OK.
    But the car I showed a link to, is not damaged in any way that gards could say it not roadworthy (it's only hailstone damage to paint with dents).
    Car like this registered in Ireland would be 100% road legal and would go through NCT.

However what I'm wondering if fact that it was written off by UK insurer could lead to it being illegal on Irish roads? (I doubt it would, but would love to be certain).
    Also if I get f.e. Cat C write off from UK and repair it, do I need to have it inspected by some motor engineer, or there is no need for it?
    From the time the car comes into the country you have 10dats to get it inspected for vrt if you go over 10s and are stopped it could be impounded but if you intend keeping it off the road untill road worthy it will incur a small penalty per day I think its .2%

If car is f.e. cat C write-off and is damaged to the state that it cannot be driven on public road, can VRT inspection still proceed? (I could bring a car on towing truck for VRT inspection).

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

It was commisky they both bought off also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,465 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

yop wrote: »
    It was commisky they both bought off also.
    Cat c or d can go on the road in the uk following inspection.
    To get them on the road here, you will need the full uk reg cert. This cert might only be released following inspection in the uk. Getting an export cert used to work and would allow any wreck back on the road here but I think that loophole has been closed.
    To answer you question, if you can get the full reg cert for that damaged car and seeing as its only panel markings, I don't see any issue with vrting it.

mickdw wrote: »
    Cat c or d can go on the road in the uk following inspection.
    To get them on the road here, you will need the full uk reg cert. This cert might only be released following inspection in the uk. Getting an export cert used to work and would allow any wreck back on the road here but I think that loophole has been closed.
    To answer you question, if you can get the full reg cert for that damaged car and seeing as its only panel markings, I don't see any issue with vrting it.
    The export doc can still be used,I used it to register a old land rover a couple of weeks ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,441 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

If it'sroad legal then it's VRTable; if not, it's not VRTable until such time as it is. It's in the Finance Act (?1992) in the definitions of a mechanically propelled vehicle IIRC.

• Advertisement

OK.
    But the car I showed a link to, is not damaged in any way that gards could say it not roadworthy (it's only hailstone damage to paint with dents).
    Car like this registered in Ireland would be 100% road legal and would go through NCT.

However what I'm wondering if fact that it was written off by UK insurer could lead to it being illegal on Irish roads? (I doubt it would, but would love to be certain).
    Also if I get f.e. Cat C write off from UK and repair it, do I need to have it inspected by some motor engineer, or there is no need for it?

If car is f.e. cat C write-off and is damaged to the state that it cannot be driven on public road, can VRT inspection still proceed? (I could bring a car on towing truck for VRT inspection).

I'm not to sure about it been legal to drive on Irish roads but a nct will be due so can't imagine it been a problem(check insurance if planning on driving..

The vrt inspection is quick enough once all documents are preset.
    They will check
    -chassis no
    -mileage
    -no of seats and bits that march log book
    So I can't imagine it been on a trailer causing any problems(ring vrt number on nct web site and confirm)

I emailed them (Comiskey) and I got an answer than all cat D write offs come with either V5C or export cert.
    While cat. C write offs, must first go through VIC check, in the NI (or GB I suppose) before V5C or export cert can be issued.

It also looks like that export cert is enough to register car in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,465 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I emailed them (Comiskey) and I got an answer than all cat D write offs come with either V5C or export cert.
    While cat. C write offs, must first go through VIC check, in the NI (or GB I suppose) before V5C or export cert can be issued.

It also looks like that export cert is enough to register car in Ireland.
    I thought they closed off that. Maybe they just made it harder to get the export cert - needing a check first etc.
    Last year I got an export cert for an old bike that was never in my name and I had no paperwork for. Just filled a form and cert arrived 1 month later. Bit of a dodgy system really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Imo It's only worth bringing in a cat D or C write off if it's much cheaper than the undamaged equivelant and you intend keeping it for a long time.

The reason I say this is because if your selling in the future and a potential buyer does a history check, the car will show up as a write off and that will most probably put them and others off buying it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Imo It's only worth bringing in a cat D or C write off if it's much cheaper than the undamaged equivelant and you intend keeping it for a long time.

The reason I say this is because if your selling in the future and a potential buyer does a history check, the car will show up as a write off and that will most probably put them and others off buying it.
    Or else, yano, you keep pictures of the damage and keep invoices for the work done - which is what many people do in the UK.

Tragedy wrote: »
    Or else, yano, you keep pictures of the damage and keep invoices for the work done - which is what many people do in the UK.
    Ya that's all well and good but usually when people find out a car is a write off they don't call and move on to the next car instead so you usually wouldn't get a chance to explain. Anyway that's just my opinion on the matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Ya that's all well and good but usually when people find out a car is a write off they don't call and move on to the next car instead so you usually wouldn't get a chance to explain. Anyway that's just my opinion on the matter.

Ireland doesn't have write offs in the UK sense, so I'm not sure how valid/likely your opinion is tbh!

(personally I'd prefer a documented professionally repaired Cat C/D UK car to an Irish one where any damage less than a complete write off is not recorded and can be repaired as shoddily and cheaply as one wishes)

Tragedy wrote: »

Ireland doesn't have write offs in the UK sense, so I'm not sure how valid/likely your opinion is tbh!

(personally I'd prefer a documented professionally repaired Cat C/D UK car to an Irish one where any damage less than a complete write off is not recorded and can be repaired as shoddily and cheaply as one wishes)
    Im not talking about undamaged or damaged irish cars vs cat d or c repaired uk imports. Im talking about undamaged uk imports vs previously damaged uk imports.

My point is the undamaged example will always be more desirable come resale compared to the repaired car, so unless it's much cheaper to buy and you intend to keep it for a long time, it might not be worth it imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Marcusm wrote: »
    If it'sroad legal then it's VRTable; if not, it's not VRTable until such time as it is. It's in the Finance Act (?1992) in the definitions of a mechanically propelled vehicle IIRC.

I don't think it's that simple.

It's still a vehicle unless the Revenue are happy it's constructed or designed for off-road use. That's not the same as saying it's road legal.
    A damaged car is still a "mechanically propelled vehicle" even if it's not road legal, and anyway VRT laws don't require any vehicle to be a road vehicle.

From said Finance Act
    “mechanically propelled vehicle” means a vehicle intended or adapted for propulsion by a mechanical means, including—

(a) a bicycle, tricycle or quadricycle propelled by an engine or motor or with an attachment for propelling it by mechanical power, whether or not the attachment is being used, a moped, a scooter and an autocycle, and

(b) a vehicle the means of propulsion of which is electrical or partly electrical and partly mechanical,

but not including a tramcar or other vehicle running on permanent rails or a vehicle as respects which the Commissioners are satisfied that it is designed or constructed for off-road use (other than racing vehicles, scrambling vehicles or other sporting vehicles);

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Just make sure it's the V5 or cert of export and not a salvage cert that you get. Salvage certs are not accepted any more.

Advertisement