Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

M50 speed camera northbound

Options
  • 28-02-2008 8:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭

With regard to the speed camera before the airport turn-off, now that the road works have begun up there and the 60kmh limit set - does anybody know if this speed camera has been calibrated to 60kmh or is it still set to 120kmh :confused:

... I was driving up to malahide yesterday and everybody was doing around 100kmh over the striped lines?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭f22

Don't think it ever worked anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 hgf

i travel fro the ballymun exit to the m1 every day. usually slow down to 60 there just in case but have seen tons of people fly by at much faster speeds every day. not once seen the camera flash!

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭DonalN

is there another one on the other side of the road, heading south on m50? I think I've seen it flash a few times. I've never seen the northbound one flash.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,664 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

DonalN wrote: »
    is there another one on the other side of the road, heading south on m50? I think I've seen it flash a few times. I've never seen the northbound one flash.
    There used to be one southbound at the Ballymun exit, but this was moved to just beyond the toll bridge at the N4 exit if I remember right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

None of the cameras on the M50 have ever worked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

None of the cameras on the M50 are currently working. The one at Tallaght worked when it was installed, but only worked for about two weeks. The one northbound at the airport turn off hasn't been working for about 2 months. The one at the West Link is like Tallaght, worked for a short while but doesn't now. When I say working, I mean the radar isn't detectable.

It's strongly rumoured that none of those fixed jobbies work - i.e. they don't contain film. I haven't heard of anyone being caught by them. Plenty by the mobile vans but not by fixed cameras.

Nonetheless, I always stay within the limit when passing them. Let's be honest, speed cameras on the M50 at the moment is taking the pi$$.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

ksimpson wrote: »
    It's strongly rumoured that none of those fixed jobbies work - i.e. they don't contain film. I haven't heard of anyone being caught by them. Plenty by the mobile vans but not by fixed cameras.

Don't be lulled into a false sense of security, I used to work in fleet and so have seen my fair share of speeding fines in my time. I can't recall ever seeing fines from the M50, but we used to get a LOT from the Lucan Road fixed camera...

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

speed cameras on any motorway is taking the pi$$ IMO :mad: but you can be sure there will be a lot more of them on them and many of our safer roads with low speed limits when they come out.

big investments like that have to be paid for and once again the motorist is the one to make the payments :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

There are only 4 speed cameras the grey boxes were put up around a few counties and the cameras moved around the boxes. I believe one was installed in the Ballough box when it set on fire, so there may only be three. hearsay though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Southbound after the toll bridge on the M50 worked before they broke the road. Saw it catch about 8 cars one night with everyone accelerating out of the toll bridge

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

D_murph wrote: »
    speed cameras on any motorway is taking the pi$$ IMO :mad: but you can be sure there will be a lot more of them on them and many of our safer roads with low speed limits when they come out.

big investments like that have to be paid for and once again the motorist is the one to make the payments :rolleyes:
    Whatever about motorway, they are needed on the M50 at the roadworks. Expect them on the Northern and southern sections shortly!
    voxpop wrote: »
    Southbound after the toll bridge on the M50 worked before they broke the road. Saw it catch about 8 cars one night with everyone accelerating out of the toll bridge
    When you say 'broke the road' do you mean the roadworks? If so - the camera wasn't there then!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

kbannon wrote: »
    When you say 'broke the road' do you mean the roadworks? If so - the camera wasn't there then!

No I dont mean roadworks - jesus - I mean the way the road is now. Where there use to be two straight lanes at the speed camera, the road now veers over to the right and is split. Ill try to be more precise next time! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭shanel23

testicle wrote: »

Eh - beg to differ as have fine to prove they work:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭MarkN

Whatever about motorway, they are needed on the M50 at the roadworks. Expect them on the Northern and southern sections shortly!

The lines where there. Then they dug up/moved/split/resurfaced the piece of roadway that the lines were on and now there's no lines on the road anymore.

But it was worth them installing a functioning speed camera there for all of a month. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

testicle wrote: »

The one northbound near the N7 junction is working, prick of a taxi driver moving out to overtake me cause I was passing it at 60 got flashed there two weekends ago :D

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭LarWright

f22 wrote: »
    Don't think it ever worked anyway

As to whether or not there was ever any "Guts of a camera" inside the case, I've seen that one, Northbound between Ballymun and M1 interchange flash.

Not in a few years mind you!
    MYOB wrote: »
    The one northbound near the N7 junction is working, prick of a taxi driver moving out to overtake me cause I was passing it at 60 got flashed there two weekends ago :D

Ah lovely.... Good aul Taxi Driving Scum!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

LarWright wrote: »
    As to whether or not there was ever any "Guts of a camera" inside the case, I've seen that one, Northbound between Ballymun and M1 interchange flash.

The Radar is still active on that camera as my detector picks it up 30 seconds or so before i reach it. Whether its a fake radar drone in it remains to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭worded

The Radar is still active on that camera as my detector picks it up 30 seconds or so before i reach it. Whether its a fake radar drone in it remains to be seen.

whats a good radar detector model?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

worded wrote: »
    whats a good radar detector model?

There not much use to you over here at the moment tbh. As its mainly Laser untilthey opt for a radar based camera system ext year. PM me if you want specific details. Best radar Detector is the Valentine V1 it's prwetty expensive but does what it says on the tin ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

radar detectors? naughty naughty ;):D

*waits for PC brigade* :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 joebudden

Hows it going guys, does anyone know if the speed camera on the M50 headin southbound just as you get off at the airport is working, I think it was Ballymun, may have been over the limit if uit was 60kmh but spotted the camera and kept my eye on as i drove past and not too sure there was a flash...any one know???

The camera installed at Ballymun was emoved about a year ago and is in use further south along the motorway at the roadworks between the N4-N81 sections

The camera installed at Ballymun was emoved about a year ago and is in use further south along the motorway at the roadworks between the N4-N81 sections

yeah that camera so, it was further down but well before the toll..

..."well before the toll"
    Do you mean north or south of the toll bridge?
    There are no cameras (at least until recently) along the M50 Southbound carriageway until just after the toll bridge.

..."well before the toll"
    Do you mean north or south of the toll bridge?
    There are no cameras (at least until recently) along the M50 Southbound carriageway until just after the toll bridge.

no definately way before the toll, i was coming from the airport and just entered the m50 headin Southbound and it was there only a minute down the road, didnt see any signs warning me or anything and it was in the 60kmh area

Advertisement