Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia Optimus

Options
  • 27-02-2015 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭

I was wondering does all laptops with a gtx 970 have nvidia Optimus, i am buying a 3xs laptop from scan.co.uk with a gtx 970 but it does say it has nvidia Optimus.

i rang them up asking them but they didn't seem to be sure. they said that it is disabled on the laptop that i was buying but that doesn't really make sense to me so i was wondering if it will have it anyway or can it be installed ? im not entirely sure how it works myself.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

It bounces between the discrete GPU when you're doing normal day to day takes, then uses the external GPU(GTX) for when gaming/3D tasks kick in.

So you get longer battery life during normal operation with better graphics performance when needed. Because even semi decent graphics card murder a battery in minutes when they start getting used.

Its driver related, if the manufacturer has it listed then the machine is doing it automatically when the drivers are installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭LukeyKid

okay thank you but just say that the laptop I wanted didn't say it had nvidia optimus is it a case of just installing it or does it have to be added by the manufacture's ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

LukeyKid wrote: »
    okay thank you but just say that the laptop I wanted didn't say it had nvidia optimus is it a case of just installing it or does it have to be added by the manufacture's ?

You need to check if the laptop has an onboard graphics adapter as well as the GTX. Usually it will be an Intel HD 4600 or similar. If it does, then it must use Optimus.

Advertisement