Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

for 279 bucks, is this thing worth a punt?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

Yup, should do fine. There will be people here saying you need more RAM and CPU power but for what you need it is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

go in and have a look at it in person...its quite funky looking and may not be to everyones taste...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Only thing I'd flag (and maybe it's different now) but Toshibas used to ship with some fair amount of bloatware.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

I'd like to flag that Toshiba Laptops are pieces of crap. I'd imagine the letters of complaint would be mainly written to Toshibs and Harvey Norman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Been using Toshibas for years, passing them on to my kids on upgrading. Apart from a USB port failing on one after 8 years they are all 4 still working fine. Great machines.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

went and had a look at it, it looked grand for the money, your man said for the money, its ok, not fantastic. Didnt but it in the end, but thank for the comments.
    (bought a different toshiba)

& in case anyone is interested, was this Toshiba

And it went back to Argos at the weekend, who fair enough gave me my money back when I listed all the issues.

Re a l l y Slo w, apps crashing, not loading, unable to read from some USB devices, struggles to attach an attachment to an email. Half the bloatware didnt work properly, if at all.
    Nail in its coffin was the time it took to move between cells in a not very elaborte excel spreadsheet. Up, down, left, right. Didnt matter. Took about 3 seconds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

And it went back to Argos at the weekend, who fair enough gave me my money back when I listed all the issues.

Re a l l y Slo w, apps crashing, not loading, unable to read from some USB devices, struggles to attach an attachment to an email. Half the bloatware didnt work properly, if at all.
    Nail in its coffin was the time it took to move between cells in a not very elaborte excel spreadsheet. Up, down, left, right. Didnt matter. Took about 3 seconds.

Exact same thing happened me. Bought a toshiba for my son and had to bring it back. So slow in everything it did.brought it back and got the money back. Got a dell instead.working brilliantly
    I wouldn't wipe my arse with a toshiba after that.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

It's actually a decent spec so that's very strange.
    Btw for new laptops a great tool to "Decrapify" it actually exists! You can get the PC Decrapifier here :) .

Nick

yoyo wrote: »
    It's actually a decent spec so that's very strange.
    Btw for new laptops a great tool to "Decrapify" it actually exists! You can get the PC Decrapifier here :) .

Nick

knowing my luck/incompetence I'd probably uninstall the screen or something with that!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭johnnybmac

Most Toshiba laptops shipped with Toshiba Hard Drives "obviously"...

The problem with these is, that they are useless, IMO. The highest fail rate of any HDD that I've come across...

Also, USB ports failed regularly (on the older satellites in particular).

Also, the power jacks were usually just held in place with a couple of very flimsy pieces of plastic down either side, which would give way and would end up with the jack falling back into the laptop. This would then need a disassemble in order to glue/epoxy the power jack back in place (only saving grace was that the jack wasn't soldered directly to the board)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

johnnybmac wrote: »
    Most Toshiba laptops shipped with Toshiba Hard Drives "obviously"...

The problem with these is, that they are useless, IMO. The highest fail rate of any HDD that I've come across...

Also, USB ports failed regularly (on the older satellites in particular).

Also, the power jacks were usually just held in place with a couple of very flimsy pieces of plastic down either side, which would give way and would end up with the jack falling back into the laptop. This would then need a disassemble in order to glue/epoxy the power jack back in place (only saving grace was that the jack wasn't soldered directly to the board)

If a machine is cheap and has a decent spec then they have cut corners to still turn a profit. I had a Lenovo T430 for work and it was close to useless, despite having 8gb of RAM and a decent i5 processor. I now have a Lenovo X1 Carbon (IT will only support Lenovo or Apple) with a slightly faster i7 and an SSD and the difference is night and day. It's blisteringly fast even on battery. You wouldn't think the difference would be that big by looking at the headline specs, but it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

An SSD makes a night and day difference to most machines.

IMO what really suffers on cheap laptops, is the build quality, keyboard, and screen quality.

I personally prefer re-installing the OS on any machine I get myself. They always seem much more reliable once I've wiped the factory install.

Advertisement