Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Question re State Cars

Options
  • 19-12-2010 12:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭

found this in the Indo today
    Buried deep in the accompanying Budget documentation published on the day was a reference to the existing fleet of Mercedes, BMWs, Audis and Lexus cars, which stated they are nearing the upper mileage limit deemed safe for continuous use.

"Cars in the existing fleet have not been replaced in recent years, and many are approaching the upper mileage level deemed safe for continued use by the relevant car manufacturers," the Budget document stated.

However
    However, doubt has been cast upon the veracity of the "upper limit" claim by car industry experts and mechanics, who say top of the range cars pride themselves on their durability.

"As a mechanic, and an independent motor trader, with 30 years' experience in motor vehicle maintenance, I have never come across an upper mileage level statistic quoted by any manufacturer at which they deem their product to be no longer safe. Mercedes, for example, prides itself in manufacturing cars that, given proper maintenance, are capable of delivering in excess of one million miles. I doubt any of the State Mercs are approaching that mileage," said Ciaran Duffy, mechanic and motor trader.

So who's telling the truth and has anyone on here ever heard of an "upper mileage level deemed safe for continued use by the relevant car manufacturers"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

The government is bull****ting again.
    There is no such limit.

Any car that has been serviced and looked after (like these government vehicles has) can run into 200K or more no probs.
    A guy in US had a SAAB with a million miles on it. SAAB gave him a new car and put the old one in a museum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭pissed

The fleet should be replaced with bicycles ..... and they can get 3 wheelers to support biffo and harney :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

pissed wrote: »
    The fleet should be replaced with bicycles ..... and they can get 3 wheelers to support biffo and harney :D

Biffo and Harney are well past every safe upper limit you can think of...

Then again .... the thoughts of coming up behind harney on a bike :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

The fleet should be removed and they should be told to feck off and buy their own car like the rest of us. I wonder if they are raped with BIK like I was when I had a company car or is there some loophole seeing as they aren't the driver

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

So who's telling the truth and has anyone on here ever heard of an "upper mileage level deemed safe for continued use by the relevant car manufacturers"
    What a B-S-it... So, are they telling us that these cars have never seen a service? The only unsafe car is the one that was never checked on a regular basis. Mileage on a well looked after car has very little to do with safety... I can't read that rubbish :eek:.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Onkle wrote: »
    The fleet should be removed and they should be told to feck off and buy their own car like the rest of us. I wonder if they are raped with BIK like I was when I had a company car or is there some loophole seeing as they aren't the driver

Put aside all the anti government and "we're all ****ed the country is broke" stuff for a minute. Are you honestly saying that if you were elected Taoiseach tomorrow, youd get rid of the state cars and start driving yourself around in this weeks bangernomics mobile to collect the world leaders that drop in for a chat?

Stekelly wrote: »
    Put aside all the anti government and "we're all ****ed the country is broke" stuff for a minute. Are you honestly saying that if you were elected Taoiseach tomorrow, youd get rid of the state cars and start driving yourself around in this weeks bangernomics mobile to collect the world leaders that drop in for a chat?

Dont be stupid .... we could collect them in the government jet :D

Something along the lines of Laos might be more suited to our current economic status:
    The daily transport of the president of Laos is a Toyota Crown. Prime Minister official cars include Mercedes Vito and Toyota Crown, while Politburo members travel in Audi A6 (C6).

Cabinet ministers and vice minister official cars is Toyota Camry (XV40) and Toyota Corolla respectively. Visiting heads of state or government are chauffeured in Toyota Crown.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,282 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

If those cars are being sold off due to being unfit for continued safe use, will they be sent for auction as for breaking only? Somehow I doubt it. However knowing this government, there is be an inside man who will buy them from the state for next to nothing and will be allowed make a killing on them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Ghost Estate

if politicians had to pay for their own fooking transport they wouldnt be so keen to put up the fuel price and tax every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I heard that Mercedes have lost their cachet of reliability. I've no problem with the principal of state cars but they could just use ordinary cars such as Mondeos instead of prestige cars. Then they could be leased over three years just like those of sales-reps.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I heard that Mercedes have lost their cachet of reliability. I've no problem with the principal of state cars but they could just use ordinary cars such as Mondeos instead of prestige cars. Then they could be leased over three years just like those of sales-reps.

Or they could buy a mercedes and get their our ****in monies worth out of it. Instead of trying to get a new one every year.

Or even some hybrid cars to keep the Greens happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,389 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Something along the lines of Laos might be more suited to our current economic status:
    The daily transport of the president of Laos is a Toyota Crown. Prime Minister official cars include Mercedes Vito and Toyota Crown, while Politburo members travel in Audi A6 (C6).

Cabinet ministers and vice minister official cars is Toyota Camry (XV40) and Toyota Corolla respectively. Visiting heads of state or government are chauffeured in Toyota Crown.

Sure isn't biffo from near the Laos/offaly border?

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

I read that article myself and thought the same thing. I expect that something like a Mercedes E320 CDI, which seems to be the car of choice, should be good for 500k kilometres given that all repairs and servicing is expensed?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Sure isn't biffo from near the Laos/offaly border?
    :D

Quite. In fact, I have been told on good authority that our Glorious Leader once said himself that he was actually a Buffalo.

laos-buffalo-photo-by-natmanda.jpg?w=486&h=486

In which case, maybe this form of transport is more appropriate for our newly-restored Turd Worreld status:

JP-47_Taketomi_Water-buffalo-taxi.jpg

Advertisement