Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RAIN AWAY. HOW CAN i GET THIS OFF

• 23-08-2009 2:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

I put some rainaway on my windscreen last week, thinking that it'll do exactly what it says on the bottle.
    But now when it rains and I use the wipers the windscreen is covered in large smears. It looks like I applied wax to the windscreen. Its hard to drive safely like this and I want to get this [EMAIL="cr@p"]cr@p[/EMAIL] product off my windscreen.

I tried soap and water on a cloth but it wont budge.

Has anyone got any ideas how to get rid of it.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭NeitherJohn

Try a bit of nail varnish remover or vinegar. Or maybe some rubbing alcocol. Just be careful of the paint! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Diesel, Cloth. Job done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 439 ✭✭Carstuck

Vinegar is good. Any autoglm window product is excellent in clearing that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

I think cutting a potato in half and rubbing it on should get rid of it.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Dishwashing liquid maybe. They always say not to use that to clean your car, as it would strip away any protectants / waxes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Just buy some Rain Away Away :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Par72

Rain-X is a great product. Once you get the Rain Away off try using that instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

New wipers might help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Par72 wrote: »
    Rain-X is a great product. Once you get the Rain Away off try using that instead.

Ive had similar experience with Rain-X, maybe not quite as severe, but similar. It beads the water and smears like wax. I was going to try on the new car and also use less on the application than last time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Are you not supposed to use it on the side window's and mirrors only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

The problem with all those cheap glass water repellents like Rain Away and Rain X is that they try to etch a layer of silicone onto the glass. When the film starts to break down it smears. Strip it off with a degreaser, apc or washing up liquid as a once off. Rinse thoroughly afterwards and don't use them again.

The best products which are silicone-free, you will only get online not in shops. So it is a case of either paying for a proper one (twice the price) or else not to bother at all and just use a good screenwash instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭DUBLINHITMAN

go to tesco's get some tesco's brand apc (all purpose cleaner) which tom mentioned above ,its in a green bottle smells like apples and is only a euro
    that will do the trick .

That wouldnt make a very useful product..
    2in1_circle.jpg
    http://www.rainx.com/Products/Windshield_Treatment/2_In_1.aspx

Its sold as a windshield treatment. And it does do exactly like in the picture there, until you use the wipers. If for some reason you had to drive in the rain with broken wipers, its great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

I taught that too.

I used to get some water repellent stuff a few years ago, I can't remember the brand now but it was in a small purple/pink bottle. Anyway it definitely said on the bottle that it was not to be used on windscreens, only to be used on side and rear glass or driving mirrors. That is a few years ago though so they may have redeveloped the product to be used on windscreens.

EDIT:
    Matt Simis wrote: »
    I always found water repellent more useful on the side windows and mirrors as I never had wipers there.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

h3000 wrote: »
    I taught that too.

I used to get some water repellent stuff a few years ago, I can't remember the brand now but it was in a small purple/pink bottle. Anyway it definitely said on the bottle that it was not to be used on windscreens, only to be used on side and rear glass or driving mirrors. That is a few years ago though so they may have redeveloped the product to be used on windscreens.

EDIT:

I always found water repellent more useful on the side windows and mirrors as I never had wipers there.

My link and image pretty much answer the question though doesnt it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

My link and image pretty much answer the question though doesnt it?
    I taught that too.

Never questioned your link.

EDIT:

Just stating how useful I found it on the other windows

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

2in1_circle.jpg
    http://www.rainx.com/Products/Windshield_Treatment/2_In_1.aspx

Its sold as a windshield treatment. And it does do exactly like in the picture there, until you use the wipers. If for some reason you had to drive in the rain with broken wipers, its great!

The nano sealant coatings from Germany are way better as the layer of protection is so thin (at microscopic level) that wipers don't move it around like the thick silicone films of others. The rainwater beads and above 50kph they shoot up the windscreen, clearing vision and so reducing the need to use the wipers at all.

The OP should also clean his wipers as they may have a lot of gunk on them which is adding to the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Never questioned your link.

Just stating how useful I found it on the other windows

...maybe that IS the view out the side window.........at a junction....:p

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭suey71

Thanks lads for all your replies, I used vinegar in the end, worked a treat.

Sorry for not getting back sooner.

i use rainX and find it does the job
    here's a vid
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zph6EMRwA6o

just up loaded so may take a while to view

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭suey71

Try do that at night, with carlights coming at you.
    You'd have to use the wipers eventually and when you did, you would have smears on the windscreen for about 5 seconds, this is a long time to be driving with blurred vision and I wouldn't/couldn't take the risk.

Thanks anyway for the link. I hope the person holding the camera wasn't the one driving:eek:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Volvoboy wrote: »
    Just buy some Rain Away Away :pac:

Every time I see this thread now I think about this post! Legend! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Halford's do good quality glass cleaner and rain repellent. Use'm in that order. I love the stuff.

suey71 wrote: »
    Try do that at night, with carlights coming at you.
    You'd have to use the wipers eventually and when you did, you would have smears on the windscreen for about 5 seconds, this is a long time to be driving with blurred vision and I wouldn't/couldn't take the risk.

Thanks anyway for the link. I hope the person holding the camera wasn't the one driving:eek:.

no its a on board camera
    even with the wipers on it leaves no smears
    i'll get another one up shortly

i think if it is smearing your window screen then its a problem with the wipers you may have or else it wasn't applied properly
    i really rate it as it does what it's supposed to for me anyway

Advertisement