Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

pick someones brain

• 20-05-2015 11:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

was out yesterday doing a bit of day time foxing and was there 15-20 minutes with no caller going and out comes a fox on the next field now as you will propley know the wind was a bit heavy so got my got cross-hairs just above him and popped Missed!!!. besides that was wondering if i baited the place with rabbit guts and waited with a rabbit distress call would he come back to the same spot.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

A tricky fox can require alot of patience to get into the cross hairs. Baiting the right spot plus your distress call can certainly yield results and has worked for me more often then not dealing with Charlie on my place in the West.. Try and work out his "pattern" in terms of daily activity, favoured route etc. and set your self up in decent cover and camo with good views to give you the best chance of getting a clean shot. Also be aware of the wind direction so that you scent and any sounds don't blow in his direction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Hunter456

Birdnuts wrote: »
    A tricky fox can require alot of patience to get into the cross hairs. Baiting the right spot plus your distress call can certainly yield results and has worked for me more often then not dealing with Charlie on my place in the West.. Try and work out his "pattern" in terms of daily activity, favoured route etc. and set your self up in decent cover and camo with good views to give you the best chance of getting a clean shot. Also be aware of the wind direction so that you scent and any sounds don't blow in his direction

i reckon the den could be near by so that will help with getting his attention,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭fabwing

What calibre are you using and what distance was the fox, a heavy cross wind would have a huge affect on your bullet if you did not allow for it, some target practice in windy conditions is on the cards i hope, take your time and you will get that charlie.

Hunter456 wrote: »
    was out yesterday doing a bit of day time foxing and was there 15-20 minutes with no caller going and out comes a fox on the next field now as you will propley know the wind was a bit heavy so got my got cross-hairs just above him and popped Missed!!!. besides that was wondering if i baited the place with rabbit guts and waited with a rabbit distress call would he come back to the same spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Was out myself last night on a mates permission answering a call by the farmer over lost fowl. The mate had just recently taken a vixen off the same farm but chickens where still disappearing. On a previous outing a cub was spotted around the area so most likely the cubs have taken over the roll of the vixen.

Any how, last night was successful and I nailed a vixen cub, ...point of the ramblings........... the cub was taken from the same spot, on the same ditch line, in the same field and on the same set up as the vixen was. So choke points or areas of interest are always good to cover.

Your problem is that that fox could now associate a similar situation / location with danger and avoid that area etc. Lamp / caller shy foxes' are the ones that have survived and know what's on the other end of the shiny object making that attractive noise and want none of it anymore. Good news is that there are foxes there and baiting the area is a good way of drawing them in. Bait several spots within the area

fabwing wrote: »
    What calibre are you using and what distance was the fox, a heavy cross wind would have a huge affect on your bullet if you did not allow for it, some target practice in windy conditions is on the cards i hope, take your time and you will get that charlie.

was a using a 223 as you said i never allowed for wind enough so that's y i missed but i'll get that fox.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭Larry60

If the fox does not see or sent you and you miss a shot.. just wait and often as not they come back out after a short while.

Also

I have found that even the wary foxes are creatures of habit so if you bait the same place, say..every second day, with the same type of bait, they get used to an easy meal and you can lay in wait for them with good success.

Larry60 wrote: »
    If the fox does not see or sent you and you miss a shot.. just wait and often as not they come back out after a short while.

Also

I have found that even the wary foxes are creatures of habit so if you bait the same place, say..every second day, with the same type of bait, they get used to an easy meal and you can lay in wait for them with good success.

watched this fox from the back window today he was back in the same place where i missed being baiting place for the last 2 days so im gonna go back tomorrow and see i can shoot the elusive fox

Advertisement