Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Grindr on UPC

• 24-06-2014 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭

Is anyone having problems using grind on their UPC connection? It wont connect for me at all but fine on 3G?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Connecting fine for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 theperson2014

Get off grindr. It's absolute pond life scum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Rick_

Not all of them are scum. I used Grindr for a while and had on my profile that I was looking for chats, new friends, dating or a relationship, not casual/anonymous sexual encounters of any sort.

Got chatting to a lovely guy on it back about 4 months ago who was after the same things, we instantly hit it off, chatted every day and soon after met up, liked each other even more, we've met each others families and friends and now we are in a relationship and couldn't be happier.

I was the last person to think that dating sites or phone apps would actually work for me as they seem so sex obsessed and with a good percentage of weirdos and creeps. I used them as a way to fill the time mainly, but it did happen because I gave it a chance. :)

Absolutely. You might find some nice people on it but it's generally hopeless. Scruff is more genuine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,560 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Grindr is intended to *be* a hookup app not a dating one, hence the geolocation etc. Using it and being surprised to find people are looking for sex is like being surprised to find books in a library.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭floggg

I find the pond scum preferable to the judgmental self righteous types

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Dr. Shrike

MYOB wrote: »
    Grindr is intended to *be* a hookup app not a dating one, hence the geolocation etc. Using it and being surprised to find people are looking for sex is like being surprised to find books in a library.

Of course that's assuming anyone is really even successfully getting hookups from it :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Griffinx

guys, whether or not its pond scum, does it work for you on UPC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Rick_

It does ask you if you're just looking friends or a relationship, so it's more a gay "networking" app, if that's the right word, it just happens to be used by a high percentage of men who want to use it for online cruising. Their own website even describes it as a dating app, so it's reputation among users is something they have attached to it, not the creators.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Griffinx wrote: »
    guys, whether or not its pond scum, does it work for you on UPC?

How do you mean on upc? Upc wifi?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Griffinx

How do you mean on upc? Upc wifi?

Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Griffinx wrote: »
    Yes

If UPC are anything like 3, you have to ask them to lift the Adult Filter that is automatically set on all Wifi and Data connections now-a-days. Simple as.

Paddy C wrote: »
    It does ask you if you're just looking friends or a relationship, so it's more a gay "networking" app, if that's the right word, it just happens to be used by a high percentage of men who want to use it for online cruising. Their own website even describes it as a dating app, so it's reputation among users is something they have attached to it, not the creators.

That is just to get around Apple's puritanical app store rules though - its like claiming the Boilerhouse is a social venue that people go to to use the cafe in it.
    If UPC are anything like 3, you have to ask them to lift the Adult Filter that is automatically set on all Wifi and Data connections now-a-days. Simple as.

They aren't. Only things blocked on UPC are the small number of sites that there are court orders requiring (Piratebay, KAT) and even then UPC fight those orders more than the other ISPs do.

They're not. Grindr is working. Amongst the 'dirtier' hookup apps! (a friend tested it for me)

That is just to get around Apple's puritanical app store rules though - its like claiming the Boilerhouse is a social venue that people go to to use the cafe in it.

They aren't. Only things blocked on UPC are the small number of sites that there are court orders requiring (Piratebay, KAT) and even then UPC fight those orders more than the other ISPs do.

Bull****. You might use or see it as only for sex but plenty of other others can and do use it differently.

When I was single I used it to meet guys for dates as much as anything else, and met plenty of nice guys through it. For dates and that's all.

Ultimately you can use it any way you like.

I find it pretty pathetic when people go out of their way to turn up their noses at grindr and the like. It seems that some people like to think it makes them seem like a better or more virtuous person if they are seen bashing others houses or activities.

It doesn't. It's just self righteous, self indulgent and really a sign of insecurity - trying to feel better about oneself it's seems by criticising others.

Some people like it, some people don't, which is fine. If you find it sleazy or whatever that is your legitimate experience.

But doesn't mean you have to fixating your judgment around to all and sundry, or stigmatise people who do use it. It's their choice to make.

The OP just asked whether it's working or not - he didn't ask for any opinions on the app itself, and quite frankly the answers given which complain about how sleazy it is don't seem to have any real purposes on this thread other than to let the world now how "righteous" some people are.

floggg wrote: »
    I find it pretty pathetic when people go out of their way to turn up their noses at grindr and the like. It seems that some people like to think it makes them seem like a better or more virtuous person if they are seen bashing others houses or activities.

It doesn't. It's just self righteous, self indulgent and really a sign of insecurity - trying to feel better about oneself it's seems by criticising others.
    I think most of us are basing our judgement on our experiences with it. Or, to better put it, our non-experiences with it. I'm glad it works for you but most people I know and talk to are aware that it is mostly people messing around, and personally it's stuffed with a certain demographic that just don't do it for me.

Bull****. You might use or see it as only for sex but plenty of other others can and do use it differently.

You can use a spoon to butter bread, doesn't mean its intended for that purpose or in any way the most efficient tool for it. Its a hookup system, getting disgusted (as is often the case on here) when people are looking for a ride on it is ridiculous.

Cydoniac wrote: »
    I think most of us are basing our judgement on our experiences with it. Or, to better put it, our non-experiences with it. I'm glad it works for you but most people I know and talk to are aware that it is mostly people messing around, and personally it's stuffed with a certain demographic that just don't do it for me.

I've no issue with your experiences -if you have any.

It's the unsolicited criticism and that irks me. Plenty of people seem to be just waiting to tell us how disgusting they think it is.

The OP didn't ask anybody's opinions but there are some people who seek to be just waiting to tell us how disgusting they think it is (or presume it to be). Quite frankly it's irrelevant and not using grindr doesn't make you any better or worse than anybody else.

Of course, if you haven't used it, then offering an opinion on it's user base is absurd. If you want to give your opinion on it, you should use it first at least so you have something to go.

And yes, it worked excellently. Closing in on two years since I last needed it!

You can use a spoon to butter bread, doesn't mean its intended for that purpose or in any way the most efficient tool for it. Its a hookup system, getting disgusted (as is often the case on here) when people are looking for a ride on it is ridiculous.

It's only a hook up system if you use it for that purpose.

If you are only want it to meet guys for actual dates, you can use it that way too. And it's far more effective for than that than any other gay dating site I've tried.

And if you want to use it just to meet friends you can use it for that too though you are less likely to be successful n

It's only a hook up system if you use it for that purpose.

It is, Apple prudishness aside, exactly what it was intended to be though. Using an inappropriate tool gets crap results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Ash885

It's a bit ironic that some of you ,who in the other Pride thread were complaining that people "tar" us all with the same brush, are doing the exact same thing here. Pot meet kettle?

Just because a few faceless or torso, or indeed "normal" profiles, ask for sex does not mean that every single user does. Nor should this enable you to judge people who do. It's their business, not your cup of team? Then the 'X' is there for you to block it my friend.

Some of my friends have had long lasting relationships from guys they've met off Grindr. One has been in a committed relationship from it (lucky duck). Some just used it to extend their social circle. To put their relationships into disrepute is just a little big too high road for me.

Ash885 wrote: »
    It's a bit ironic that some of you ,who in the other Pride thread were complaining that people "tar" us all with the same brush, are doing the exact same thing here. Pot meet kettle?

Just because a few faceless or torso, or indeed "normal" profiles, ask for sex does not mean that every single user does. Nor should this enable you to judge people who do. It's their business, not your cup of team? Then the 'X' is there for you to block it my friend.

Some of my friends have had long lasting relationships from guys they've met off Grindr. One has been in a committed relationship from it (lucky duck). Some just used it to extend their social circle. To put their relationships into disrepute is just a little big too high road for me.
    Oh, come off it. Just because people do find positive experiences on Grindr doesn't mean that on a whole, the app is a bit rubbish compared to its counterparts. Hardly the same as doing the likes of tarring people with the same brush. If I want a hook up, I'm certainly not going to go onto OKCupid, but I'm sure I could find it there. Likewise when it comes to Grindr and meaningful relationships. Not sure why people are getting so uppity over a hookup app. Nobody is attacking or discrediting the said relationships that have formed from the app.

Oh, come off it. Just because people do find positive experiences on Grindr doesn't mean that on a whole, the app is a bit rubbish compared to its counterparts. Hardly the same as doing the likes of tarring people with the same brush. If I want a hook up, I'm certainly not going to go onto OKCupid, but I'm sure I could find it there. Likewise when it comes to Grindr and meaningful relationships. Not sure why people are getting so uppity over a hookup app. Nobody is attacking or discrediting the said relationships that have formed from the app.

No, but you are attacking it's user base and discrediting our experiences with it - which includes some of us here.

If you are saying it's only a sleazy hook-up app, then you are, whether intentionally or not, casting aspersions on those who use it and making a judgment on their character.

Your also telling people who used it for other purposes that their experiences weren't real or authentic. Either we were unicorns and had an extremely atypical experience (there's no such thing as unicorns) or are our experiences weren't real and didn't happen.

Which is particularly irritating if, as you say, you don't use it.

Your perception of it may be that's for hook-ups only, and so in your hands that's all it would be.

I have used grindr for both - hook-ups and dating. When I wanted it to be for hook-ups, then it was very much a hook-up app. But when I wanted it to be for dating, it was very much a dating app. I had the maturity to say what I wanted and only to engage in the type of conversations I wanted. If I wasn't looking for the same thing as the person messaging me I politely told them and then chatted with somebody with a similar attitude.

No, but you are attacking it's user base and discrediting our experiences with it - which includes some of us here.
    Stop right there - you keep bringing this back to your relationship and making it somehow personal. Would you be offended if I said I didn't like a place that you went on holidays with your significant other every year?? (not the best analogy, but you see what I mean)
    If you are saying it's only a sleazy hook-up app,
    I'm not, but I'm saying that it has a distinct userbase, and I would look elsewhere as it would be a lot easier to find a relationship. I have used it but rarely had successful interaction from it, whereas with other networks I've made friends, lovers, and whatever in between. I'm pretty sure people fall in love on Boards - it doesn't means Boards is primarily a dating site! Sure, people use Grindr for dating - I just think there are better alternatives.
    Your also telling people who used it for other purposes that their experiences weren't real or authentic.
    Sigh...nope. I did nothing of the sort. You are taking this too personally.
    Your perception of it may be that's for hook-ups only, and so in your hands that's all it would be.
    Well, it would seem I am not the only one here who found it difficult in terms of finding meaningful contact. I'm sure there are many guys looking for such, but why would I use Grindr when there are a range of other apps?

It's not for hook-ups only. I wouldn't use a fork to eat soup though!

Stop right there - you keep bringing this back to your relationship and making it somehow personal. Would you be offended if I said I didn't like a place that you went on holidays with your significant other every year?? (not the best analogy, but you see what I mean)

I'm not, but I'm saying that it has a distinct userbase, and I would look elsewhere as it would be a lot easier to find a relationship. I have used it but rarely had successful interaction from it, whereas with other networks I've made friends, lovers, and whatever in between.

Sigh...nope. I did nothing of the sort. You are taking this too personally.

Well, it would seem I am not the only one here who found it difficult in terms of finding meaningful contact. I'm sure there are many guys looking for such, but why would I use Grindr when there are a range of other apps?

It's not for hook-ups only. I wouldn't use a fork to eat soup though!

I'm not talking about my relationship. Believe me, I'm very comfortable with all aspects of it, and quite frankly after two years how we met is irrelevant to me.

Your experience is that it's best used only for hook-ups and you haven't met genuine people there.

My experience is the opposite (and not just talking about my bf - I met a lot of genuine guys on it, albeit for various reasons I didn't connect with them in that way).

Your experiences are fine and valid but so are mine. Comments like your fork for soup analogy makes it seem like trying to meet genuine guys on there is like finding a needle in a haystack.

While that may be your experience though, it certainly wasn't mine. I found plenty of genuine guys there - and without looking very hard. I'm not denying that there were lots of headless torsos just looking for sex. I found though that if you put your own face pic up, and are willing to initiate conversations instead of just waiting for guys to talk to you you'll get talking to plenty of decent guys.

So your comments annoy me a bit just because your so dismissive of other experiences and perspectives.

You can't conclude that grindr just has one main purposes or function just because yours or even your friends experiences played out a certain way when other people are saying their experiences turned out differently.

Clearly it's capable of being used in different ways and your experiences will vary depending on how you use it and who you happen to interact with.

I don't care whether you use it or not, or whether you find there are other more effective apps. I'm just staying you need to recognise that others have different experiences of it and different people will find different uses and purposes for it.

Advertisement