Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gay and Lesbian category on Netflix (removed?)

• 23-03-2014 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭

I've had Netflix for about a year and one of my favourite categories was the Gay and Lesbian one as it introduced me to quite a wide range of low budget, arthouse cinema in a category that is clearly not going to be mainstream for quite a long time if ever. However, in recent weeks I have noticed that the Gay and Lesbian category is not there any more and some gay films are now listed under Independent films. However, it doesn't show me an extensive catalogue of what is available on Netflix with a gay subject.

As the world is structured to be straight, I think it is important we have gay categories (as unfortunate as it may sound), just like the way we have "gay" bars. The category is needed for minorities because otherwise we are going to find a little more challenging to find what is available on this subject. I did a search on google to see if they had removed this and I actually came across more requests by clearly very homophobic people to have it removed. I just hope Netflix didn't cave in to these requests.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Ambersky

I dont have Netflix but are you talking about Netflix Ireland or USA or both perhaps that this has happend on.
    Is it possible to now contact Netflix and have a counter campaign to re instate the LGBT film catagory?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Rick_

It's still there for me, I just checked....

vculxz.png

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭akaspike

Not 100% sure on this, but i think the categories change depending on the platform being used i.e. Web/ TV Apps / Apple TV/ Xbox etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭door

Paddy C wrote: »
    It's still there for me, I just checked....

Thanks Paddy C. Good to see it still there through their website. However, I access it through my XBOX and it has not been there for weeks. The XBOX access to Netflix has a different interface. This is pure speculation but maybe it's possible they removed the category from the XBOX as this is mostly used by kids and a lot of the requests I came across were parents complaining about their kids seeing the category.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 mnlad

i use a dvd player with built in netflix just checked still there for me also

• Advertisement

After checking for you, I noticed The Birdcage on the list, and without realising the time, I decided to watch it, then couldn't believe it when it was around 2:20am as the credits rolled! I think I'm gonna watch some more gay themed movies today and have a gay Sunday! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭playedalive

Yeah I access netflix via a TV box that connects to the internet. All the LGBT themed movies, for me, are all under the 'emotional movies' section.

I think having them has definitely helped to normalise being gay and has a positive effect on me.

There are some pretty good LGBT films. For example, Is it just me? (light hearted comedy), Bridegroom (story about a same sex partner that dies and the remaining partner is left without any rights- very heartwarming and emotional :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

It got removed from my PS4, so I'm guessing it was just removed from consoles.

Seems odd, but if the demand wasn't there there's no point in letting the section take up space, especially since a lot of the LGBT movies are crap.

I think having them has definitely helped to normalise being gay and has a positive effect on me.

There are some pretty good LGBT films. For example, Is it just me? (light hearted comedy), Bridegroom (story about a same sex partner that dies and the remaining partner is left without any rights- very heartwarming and emotional :) )

I completely agree with you. I've been feeling the same way. Some of the movies are done in a nice cheerful mainstream way which actually completely normalises things for me. Some of the arthouse stuff is tragic, victim, realism stuff which is emotional and very good but examples such as Is it just me? are very similar to mainstream Hollywood chick flicks but just all set to a gay theme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Yeah I access netflix via a TV box that connects to the internet. All the LGBT themed movies, for me, are all under the 'emotional movies' section.

I think having the films available on netflix is great, but having them in a seperate category could tend to reinforce the idea of lgbtq as "other". It'll be a nice day when it goes without remark that the leading character is gay as opposed to straight.

• Advertisement

I think having the films available on netflix is great, but having them in a seperate category could tend to reinforce the idea of lgbtq as "other". It'll be a nice day when it goes without remark that the leading character is gay as opposed to straight.

I thought this type of thing would be a concern among LGBT people but then I just come to the realisation that if I want to see a representation of a very important part of myself somewhere I need to be pointed in the right direction to find it easier. It is a tricky one though as I fully appreciate the stance of trying to remove "othering".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

Still there.
    Not a bad selection-Yossi was great as was The Blossoming of Maximo Oliveros

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Surely movies can be in more than one category?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

Still there.
    Not a bad selection-Yossi was great as was The Blossoming of Maximo Oliveros

yes, yossi was greeeat!! i think most of the gay themed films on netflix are really crap, but yossi was great - well acted, understated..just great.

others i have tried to watch and had to turn off after literally the opening scene they are just so eye wateringly bad.

one thing that pissed me off as well is the inclusion of that kevin bacon film where he is a paedophile (i cant remember the name of it). the film stands on its merits as a piece of work, but was flanked on both sides by films that have the word 'boy' in them. that made me feel really irritated. why should a film about a paedophile be of gay interest any more than it would be of general interest? and the placing of it in the midst of films that seem to tend towards examinations of the lives of what are termed 'boys' in the name of them is too fu****g much!

really? what are you insinuating netflix? f*** you :mad:

yes, yossi was greeeat!! i think most of the gay themed films on netflix are really crap, but yossi was great - well acted, understated..just great.
    Have you seen the first one, Yossi and Jagger?
    Yossi is the follow on from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

no!! thanks for the recommendation.

i don't recall seeing it on netflix, but i'll find it, thanks :D

different actors, obv?

door wrote: »
    examples such as Is it just me? are very similar to mainstream Hollywood chick flicks but just all set to a gay theme.

Yeah I know that is it just me? is kind of a chick flick, but I really thought it was sweet :) I thought it brought up some good issues too, like loneliness, being afraid of being the real you and rejection, the whole impersonal and superficial world of online dating at times.

But you can definitely see the gay take on mainstream hollywood (with a quirky side), like American Pie in Not Another Gay Movie. It wasn't my favourite but it was funny to watch.

I think the LGBT documentaries on netflix are the best. Bridegroom and Love In Action really are engaging.

Yeah I know that is it just me? is kind of a chick flick, but I really thought it was sweet :) I thought it brought up some good issues too, like loneliness, being afraid of being the real you and rejection, the whole impersonal and superficial world of online dating at times.

Oh yeh, I actually enjoyed it too. Just watched the other day. That and eCupid. I know some people think the movies are weak and I admit they mostly are but it's all we have really to connect with in terms of a narrative. I'm sure there are loads other LGBT movies out there yet to go on Netflix, some very weak and some very strong but I'm going to keep watching all of them because finally it gives me some sense of inclusion in the world. Btw, check out North Sea Texas if you haven't. It's real arthouse drama in that slow paced way but I find it so gripping and moving.

no!! thanks for the recommendation.

i don't recall seeing it on netflix, but i'll find it, thanks :D

different actors, obv?
    no same main actor, really beautiful film

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I hated when they changed the interface on the XBOX, it's a pain in the hole to navigate but the movies are still there. I preferred when they had specific sections, horror / sci-fi etc. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭diograis

i'd feel guilty if i didnt mention out in the dark, brilliant

Btw, check out North Sea Texas if you haven't. It's real arthouse drama in that slow paced way but I find it so gripping and moving.

Yeah that's the film in Dutch set in Flanders. I really liked that film.

I have pretty much seen a far chunk of the LGBT films on Netflix. I saw the Trip over the weekend Now that was a nice movie about how an open gay and a 'straight' guy get together despite their seemingly differing views. :)

I wish Netflix would hurry up and get Season 6 of Drag Race online so I don't have to go downloading it every week, I should be able to just load it up and go! Same for Untucked!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

I have netflix on Wii. Yeah, the gay and lesbian category is gone, but along with many more, so it's not to piss off the LGBT people

Just watched "Angels of Sex" in the Netflix Gay and Lesbian category....beautiful movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

Just watched "Angels of Sex" in the Netflix Gay and Lesbian category....beautiful movie.

I watched that last year via the US version of Netflix and thought it was so stupid. I was so irritated by all three main characters that I hoped
    they'd all died in that crash at the end of the movie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Gadgie wrote: »
    I watched that last year via the US version of Netflix and thought it was so stupid. I was so irritated by all three main characters that I hoped
    they'd all died in that crash at the end of the movie
    She is a pain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭diograis

Barna77 wrote: »
    She is a pain.

at least they're good looking

diograis wrote: »
    at least they're good looking

Pretty much the only reason I watched it!

• Advertisement

Just watched "Our Paradise" on Netflix and could not believe why it is so highly censored. Big blur patches show up over flaccid penises. The movie is certified 18 and this is such a mild thing to see now a days. I can not understand it in the year 2014, there is still "shame" in seeing a penis yet other Netflix movies don't blur vaginas. The same happened with the movie "Eating Out: Drama Camp" but for a moment I thought that was part of some joke as it was a comedy but "Our Paradise" is far from a comedy. Netflix should stop treating us like children.

I doubt Netflix are censoring movies themselves - it's more likely that a censored version was provided to them by the rights holder. Contact them and request that they ask for an uncensored copy.

Hi Gadgie, I would certainly expect it is not Netflix censoring but they choose to get the censored version like a TV channel chooses to get a censored movie. I will contact Netflix with the complaint but its still worth raising the issue publicly.

Haven't seen any Netflix movies censored, and if so won't be renewing my subscription.

Netflix have one episode of Drag Race censored but the rest aren't. I have written to advise them of it but they never got back to me and it's been a few months and the episode is still censored.

Hi Gadgie, I would certainly expect it is not Netflix censoring but they choose to get the censored version like a TV channel chooses to get a censored movie. I will contact Netflix with the complaint but its still worth raising the issue publicly.

I hear what you're saying, but I really doubt that Netflix requested a censored version. It's more likely that that's the only version that was made available to them.

It's worth contacting them, but as Paddy C says they've haven't responded to him after a few months, I wouldn't hold my breath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 CL1970

thanks for your information!

Yeah I liked the movie. Particularly the mysterious karate teacher. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Paddy C wrote: »
    Netflix have one episode of Drag Race censored but the rest aren't. I have written to advise them of it but they never got back to me and it's been a few months and the episode is still censored.
    Which one is that? Never noticed it.

Advertisement