Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NEW 48 mobile deals: €10: 1GB, 300mins, all texts, 60 landline

• 10-07-2013 4:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 483 ✭✭

Just letting you know that 48 have updated their mobile bundles today

The Guido:
    €10 now gets you 1GB data, 300 mobile minutes, 60 landline minutes and "all" texts.
    Extra data addons have been upgraded from 750MB to 1GB for €3

The Don:
    I see the €20 deal has also been upgraded
    Now gets 5GB instead of 3GB data
    and 60 landline minutes instead of 50 landline minutes.

If you were a member who previously used the old standard €10 for "all" calls and texts, that is still available to you too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭TheInspector

Just about to post it, that Don is great, i was on the one for 15gb and max ive ever used was 6gb and that was watching netflix (laggy tho) so 5 gb should be more than enough for most (id call myself a heavy user :/).

Just before people ask , its a subscription fee so you dont get to keep the 20 at the end of the month, but who cares , good signal and a great plan, no complaints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

What network do they use and how do ya check your allowances on a "normal" non smart phone ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Good €10 offer but I think 3s €20 offer is hard to beat as I usually get 2months+ out of it. Also a family member was on them a while back and had problems receiving calls which would kind of turn me off them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Is this an attempt to get the people still on the original €10 (all calls, all texts) off it and onto one of the new plans. I would say if you do change from the original plan you can never go back to it.
    The wife is on the original plan and she doesn't want to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭balfe1990

Decent deal but the criteria are too restrictive.
    3's €20 deal is pretty much unbeatable in terms of what's on offer. I buy 20 a month and am always left with a tenner by the end which carries over to the next top up. With Meteor, it'd be gone in a fortnight.

Unrelated, but does anyone have trouble playing videos on 3's 3G connections?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,887 ✭✭✭Zardoz

That Guido deal is just what I need,superb value,you cant go wrong.
    Time to port from O2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

balfe1990 wrote: »
    Decent deal but the criteria are too restrictive....

What do you mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

They don't do roaming at all so it doesn't suit a out of people but if you don't travel much it's a great deal.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I was with 3 and I couldn't get off them fast enough. Awful network and service.

I live less then 2 miles from Dublin city center, yet no reception at all in my apartment and often had problems out and about too with no internet access and dropped calls. 3 support were useless.

Switched to 48 months and it is so much better. Perfect reception almost everywhere, no missed or dropped calls. Not a single problem.

With Three I found the €20 didn't last the month as calls made during weekdays eat up the credit. With 48months I never spend more then €20 per month, perfect!

The one downside of 48months is they have no international data roaming. Even the EU max rates would be fine.

I would have liked for the €10 deal they included free unlimited 48months calls and for the €20 plan included free unlimited landline calls.

To be honest I don't think they bumped the €20 plan enough versus the €10 and I might actually think about downsizing to the €10 plan!

Dudda wrote: »
    They don't do roaming at all so it doesn't suit a out of people but if you don't travel much it's a great deal.

They do have roaming, why would you think they don't?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Senna wrote: »
    They do have roaming, why would you think they don't?

They have phone and text roaming, but not data roaming unfortunately.

bk wrote: »
    They have phone and text roaming, but not data roaming unfortunately.

Right, though you meant normal phone roaming

Senna wrote: »
    Right, though you meant normal phone roaming

It was Dudda who said it, not me.

Looking at giffgaff, the UK version of 48months, they have everything I mentioned above:

- All their plans include free unlimited calls to giffgaff members
    - All their plans consider landline calls the same as mobile calls, so you benefit from more free landline calls
    - They support international data roaming.

So hopefully these features will come to 48months too eventually.

One good thing that 48months has, that giffgaff don't is add-ons, including the excellent phone roaming one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,655 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Will 3 own 48 once the 02 sale goes through?

ted1 wrote: »

It is a good question and no one seems to know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

If you choose a plan do you have to stick with that plan or does it change if you choose to top up on a different plan?

can you choose the guido (€10) this month... then next month top up The don (€20)... then next month go back to the guido (€10)

Edit : answered here guys thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

I have been with 48 from the start the new Don Rules!! Keep it up 48.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

the Guido looks a great deal. I'm paying 25 pm to meteor for 400 mins+texts and 2gb data:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Yes (48 is just a trading name of Telefonica; it's not a separate shared-ownership company or anything complicated). The owner of the domain is Telefonica, and the definition of "we" in the T&C is Telefonica (CRO #234895).

48 is operated as an MVNO on o2, so it could easily be sold off, but that'd be down to Three (or a prior arrangement for Telefonica to sell 48 before any acquisition; probably unlikely).

cgarvey wrote: »
    Yes (48 is just a trading name of Telefonica; it's not a separate shared-ownership company or anything complicated). The owner of the domain is Telefonica, and the definition of "we" in the T&C is Telefonica (CRO #234895).

48 is operated as an MVNO on o2, so it could easily be sold off, but that'd be down to Three (or a prior arrangement for Telefonica to sell 48 before any acquisition; probably unlikely).
    Yes at the moment its owned and operated by p2/ Telefonica but that doesn't mean it'll be included in the sale.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

A few questions lads as I'm a bit of a newbie.
    1. Is this a bill or pay as you go service?i.e if I use my 300 minutes and my 20 credit do I get a bill

2. Can you check how many minutes you have left too mobiles and landlines in some way or how does it work

3.is there a contract with them?

cgarvey wrote: »

That isn't correct, it is actually owned by Telefonica Digital, a child of Telefonica, but a different arm from o2 Ireland.

So it isn't clear if 48 months was part of the o2 deal or not.

ive been talking 'denise' on the website and all the prior plan before these new ones came in are still available , you can switch through them each month to find whats best for you.

Nothing to lose and alot to gain imo.

On the topic of 3 i was with them for a year and outside there grand , soon as you go indoors it turns to 'R' or 'G' and basically renders the phone usless.

never get this with 48.

ive been talking 'denise' on the website and all the prior plan before these new ones came in are still available , you can switch through them each month to find whats best

What's the email address for enquirys?im very interested in this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭fartyarse

Bit the bullet and requested the port over an hour ago.

I moved to o2 from Vodafone only 6 weeks ago but I don't find them great.

No harm giving 48 an aul' bash. If they don't work out, I can just move again!

fartyarse wrote: »
    Bit the bullet and requested the port over an hour ago.

I moved to o2 from Vodafone only 6 weeks ago but I don't find them great.

No harm giving 48 an aul' bash. If they don't work out, I can just move again!
    48 are a mvno who use O2 they'll be the exact same ...

Mvno?

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Mvno?

Basically they piggyback of o2's network , like lycra and tesco mobile etc.

I should have been more specific! I didn't find o2's plans great. Found myself running out of data halfway through the month. Shouldn't be an issue with 48, as long as things go smoothly!!

• Advertisement

Oh and anyone who is signing up, fatcheese.ie are giving €16 cashback on the €20 membership!

(and €8 cashback on the €10 membership)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 knowall123

What about this?

We're not for everyone

If you're living in those reckless 48 months between your 18th and 22nd birthday, step right on up. If not, we're not the network for you.

Can you pretend your 18-22??

A few questions lads as I'm a bit of a newbie.
    1. Is this a bill or pay as you go service?i.e if I use my 300 minutes and my 20 credit do I get a bill

2. Can you check how many minutes you have left too mobiles and landlines in some way or how does it work

3.is there a contract with them?

Basically its a prepay, what ever you pay for is all you spend....

so
    to answer 1,2,3

1:You wont go over anything as it stops when your month is up / or if you use all your mins/data/texts.

2:Yes they have a really good website and a reliable log in, it shows you a very nice layout of exactly how many mins , texts and data youve used and have remaining.

3:No contract with them , you dont like it you can leave when ever.

hope i helped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭Jo Satan

I logged on to my wife's account to buy her the new guido membership and a popup notification said that if you buy this that the standard membership will not be available to you any more.

The email I got from 48 yesterday closed off with a post script:

P.S. Don't worry your €10 'Standard' membership is still here and not going anywhere!

I wasn't sure if 300mins talk time was going to suffice and didn't want to lose the option for unlimited calls...
    But I took a punt and paid for her Guido membership via the gift option on my account, it went through fine and when I checked our accounts the standard membership is still available on both.

knowall123 wrote: »
    What about this?

We're not for everyone

If you're living in those reckless 48 months between your 18th and 22nd birthday, step right on up. If not, we're not the network for you.

Can you pretend your 18-22??

Yeah theres nothing stopping you as none of it is face to face.
    When you recieve the sim and when you register it, it asks a DOB, just lie and put on a 1994 or somthing. :) easy peasy

Oh and anyone who is signing up, fatcheese.ie are giving €16 cashback on the €20 membership!

(and €8 cashback on the €10 membership)

Is this only for 1 month?Or everymonth you top up?

• Advertisement

Is this only for 1 month?Or everymonth you top up?

It sounds a bit too good to be true that it'd be every month but I'm not sure!

It sounds a bit too good to be true that it'd be every month but I'm not sure!

hmmm worth a punt, will try in 2 days as i need to buy membership, never had a good experience with fatcheese tho, i have an ongoing claim since nov last year.

Another question lads.say you use the 20 deal with unlimited calls and texts but you wana ring premium 1850 numbers r text say today 53102 how do they charge you for those calls n texts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Basically they piggyback of o2's network , like lycra and tesco mobile etc.

I've heard tesco mobile data is pretty slow,is this the case with 48?

I've heard tesco mobile data is pretty slow,is this the case with 48?

depends on what you will be using it for.... surfing the web,whatsapp,viber and the likes are fine. Netflix and skype calling you will get away with but it wont be smooth.
    So most things are fine. I know there improving there network speed by the day. give it a shot and see if its for you....

• Advertisement

Another question lads.say you use the 20 deal with unlimited calls and texts but you wana ring premium 1850 numbers r text say today 53102 how do they charge you for those calls n texts?

You won't be able to make those calls unless you load your account with separate credit.

bk wrote: »
    You won't be able to make those calls unless you load your account with separate credit.

But it is an option?say I go for the "10" euro deal but need too ring my insurance company?i can log in and top up my phone and then ring them!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭NATLOR

But it is an option?say I go for the "10" euro deal but need too ring my insurance company?i can log in and top up my phone and then ring them!?

Thats correct,did that myself, just be mindful that the calls to 1890 numbers are expensive, 55cent a minute or close to that,been with 48 for 2 months now its a great service and the best price plans i.m.o, all the family have moved over too.

NATLOR wrote: »
    Thats correct,did that myself, just be mindful that the calls to 1890 numbers are expensive, 55cent a minute or close to that,been with 48 for 2 months now its a great service and the best price plans i.m.o, all the family have moved over too.
    Well me the Miss's and my mam and dad are all going too move.whats the 3G like is it quick?is it true you must put your DOB as 1994 too make your age between their market or not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Well me the Miss's and my mam and dad are all going too move.whats the 3G like is it quick?is it true you must put your DOB as 1994 too make your age between their market or not?

I use the internet on a windows phone and find it grand just do light surfing and e mails so cant comment on heavy usage or video streaming.

You do have to put a relevant date of birth in, me the missus and our two kids are all eighteen :D wonder what will happen after 4 years though if we are still with them?

NATLOR wrote: »
    I use the internet on a windows phone and find it grand just do light surfing and e mails so cant comment on heavy usage or video streaming.

You do have to put a relevant date of birth in, me the missus and our two kids are all eighteen :D wonder what will happen after 4 years though if we are still with them?

Ya I've wifi at home it just be sky sports,boards & score centre when I'm out and about on the net.

My sim shipped n all today.realky sounds like a great price plan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

Can someone confirm if the fat cheese cashback is monthly ?

Can someone confirm if the fat cheese cashback is monthly ?

I'd hazard a guess at couldn't possibly be. €16 cash back every month? No way.

I bought €20 membership yesterday using the link on fat cheese and that didn't even show on my account for eligible cash back.

Yes, it is, you can put a separate credit on your phone to cover things like calls to 1890.

If you don't use the credit then you can put the credit towards your €10 membership the next month.

However watch out 1890 numbers are really expensive from mobile. Take a look at this site to see if they have a standard local phone number to use instead:

http://www.saynoto1890.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

How about texts to non Irish mobiles? They don't seem to be covered by the various offers. Is it just a case of buying credit for those?

• Advertisement
Advertisement