Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

China Laptops

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,909 ✭✭✭kirving

I saw a good few of those around markets in Bangkok a few months ago. From 5 feet away, they look great, but I really don't believe it's worth you while buying a knock off. They're not that well made at all, and may be confiscated by customs(not sure on that, but I've heard it has happenned).

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

While it looks like a MacBook Air, it's far worse. The processor is a low end netbook processor so performance will be pretty poor. Everything else is just guess work. Build quality, trackpad, keyboard, screen could rubbish, great or somewhere in between. Chances are the version of windows on it, isn't genuine. If it breaks, you won't have any comeback either. Considering it's coming from outside the EU so you'll have to pay vat and import duty on it as well. I think it's a waste of money. Spend the few quid extra and get something decent here from a reputable retailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭a5y

kierancos wrote: »
    Hi guys, not sure if a thread like this is already up but I couldn't find one anyway!

I've been looking at these laptops from China, on Chinese websites like dhgate and allieexpress. I know a good bit about laptops computers, and these laptops look brilliant for their price. I never thought I would even think about buying one, but this is looking pretty good! :)http://www.aliexpress.com/item/14-ultra-slim-laptop-4GB-Ram-500GB-HDD-D2500-1-86GHZ-CPU-integrated-card-Intel-Dual/591241426.html

So what do you think, am I mad? Any help would be great! :)

A 3 Cell battery and an old model Atom Processor in the one machine seem a bit odd together. Even with the low power processor the laptop probably won't run off the battery long enough to watch an entire film on it.

Also, so you're clear, you know this laptops doesn't have a DVD drive?

I don't see the appeal. Sure its cheaper than a €300ish netbook and has a bigger screen but its no more powerful (maybe even slower), heavier and has far worse battery life. Without knowing it comes with a version of Windows 7 thats better than W7 Starter the RAM may be ineffective too.

For what I'd want from a basic laptop I wouldn't find it satisfactory, but to each their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭kierancos

Yea lads I think ye're right. I was just wondering what anyone else thought about it thats all. But maybe one day, good laptops will be sold from china ha! Thanks anyway lads! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

The processor is a low end netbook processor so performance will be pretty poor.

Not so low end for a netbook processor, actually. Two cores & Hyperthreading makes the D2550 comparable to AMD's E-450 Fusion APU.

However, as tempting as €255 might sound, I wouldn't touch it. ;)

A similar machine is available through Amazon UK for 220 Sterling (from a Chinese reseller).

Advertisement