Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's wrong with my poxy Dell Laptop?

Options
  • 21-09-2012 9:49am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I bought a Dell Inspiron Laptop about 4 months ago.

I only use it for the Internet, watching the odd movie, downloading torrents etc.

After a couple of weeks it started acting up.

Now when I turn it on the fan goes at full blast, the net freezes and it says some Shockwave thing is not responding. When it is in spastik mode the battery might only last about 30 mins and it becomes seriously hot.

When I open up Task Manager it says CPU usage is @ 100%.

Does anybody have any idea what is going on?

Would formatting the computer solve the problem? I literally have nothing on it (files or programs) that I need to save.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

what programs/processes running that are using up your cpu can you see when you open the task manager?
    have you anti virus installed and running?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

Fresh install of windows might help. Happened on mine also inspiron 1300. I had another for spares and replaced the CPU but same thing was happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭col.in.Cr

Do a factory image restore

Press <F8> before the Windows logo appears on the screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

ebixa82 wrote: »
    When I open up Task Manager it says CPU usage is @ 100%.
    Click the CPU tab, and it'll sort the processes out by CPU usuage. I'm guessing the problem will be a broken anti-virus program, or there maybe two anti-virus programs running at the same time.

I've noticed a few "free" downloads come with Norton or McAfee, so if you already have an anti-virus, and installed another one, the freezing and high CPU usage may just be symptons.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

Hi,

I didn't (knowingly) install any anti-virus apart from what came included.

I've a feeling it could be two programs flighting with each other.
    It's completely un-natural whatever is going on.

I'm not at home so can't answer specifics.

Would restoring to factory settings be sure to fix the problem or is it impossible to answer that until I do it?

Thanks for all your speedy replies!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

You could have a virus, or low disk space.IF you use f8 restore ,it,ll probably fix it.
    windows needs about 4gig free space,for temp files etc,if hard disk is full pc slows down.
    torrent files sometimes contain virus, s.
    from task manager you can shutdown most process,s ,see ones that are using alot of memory.
    low disk
    space,=constant disk acess ,may cause overheating.
    if you dont use it uninstall ms office,it uses gigs of space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Back up everything/reinstall Windows

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

Hi,

I did the whole F8, Restore to Factory Settings step.

Back to normal.

Thanks for all the help lads!

Advertisement