Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland's Lost Babies - BBC2 starting 17 Sept

Options
  • 17-09-2014 3:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭

Beeb 2 at 9.00 tonight has the first in their new series of TV programmes Ireland’s Lost Babies’ by Martin Sixsmith (the British journalist who publicised the Philomena story.) I heard a participant, Catriona Crowe of our Nat. Archives earlier today on radio speaking about it and her views on disclosure of records. She came across as a very forthright individual! Sounds like it will be very interesting.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭VicWynne

Looking forward to it, though I may have to record it to watch tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Douglas Eegit

Anyone catching this now? I stumbled across this on BBC and it's got me in an emotional heap :/

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭hblock21

Very sad programme. Another shaming episode of our past and the church involved again. All those holy nuns.......
    Poor Lily, the woman who found her son but he will not contact her for various reasons. My heart goes out to her.
    Its all very depressing, how we treated children back then. Shame.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,304 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Just finished watching. What to say?
    That it happened is appalling.
    That it still hasn't been dealt with by the Irish State is unforgivable.
    There are a lot of people who need answers and those answers are not forthcoming.
    This begs the question why?
    Who's protecting who? And from what?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

I agree it was depressing. Not a complete hatchet job on the RC Church, I thought it was reasonably balanced – near the opening scene the woman said that when she went into labour her mother brought her to a “home” and left her at the gate saying ‘You can do your own dirty work now and don’t come back!’

We tend to (want to?) forget that it was our ancestors / kin who shoved their daughters into these homes and made them give up their babies. It was our ancestors who would not dream of employing a girl who had a child out of wedlock, or who shunned or at least frowned on a family whose daughter was in that position. Yes the churches shaped the environment but it was largely maintained by society, so parents were equally culpable. Forty to sixty thousand infants, a couple of thousand of them 'expatriated' to the US. A very small percentage, but still a horrific statistic given the lack of 'due diligence' on the new homes.

Back in the 1960’s I remember seeing strings of black-clad 12-15 year olds; same age as me, but unlike me -tearing around on a bike, getting up to mischief and chatting up girls - they were walking out in pairs from a local seminary, like crows. What sort of childhood did they have? How could those poor children ever grow up normal or have an understanding of what 'love and affection' means? All because it was a parental boast to have a priest in the family?

Trying to keep to a genealogy theme, it is sad that the records cannot be made more readily available to both adoptees and their parents. I wonder if there is a legal basis to fast-track a ‘discovery’ order that would rattle a few cages? Most of the reticence to divulge boils down to money. Fear of greedy lawyers, fear of potential claims, political fear leading to ‘keep the head down, it will go away, all of them will be dead in a few years!’ Sadly we have neither politicians nor clergy with the courage to do anything, the latter cohort being far more intelligent than the former and willing and able to obfuscate. And our national broadcaster would never dare rock the boat with something like this and will produce and broadcast s#ite, calling it ‘public service broadcasting’ when what it really is can be described as popcorn for the braindead couch potatoes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

How many of the children that were sent to the US had happy lives they were only focusing on the ones that didn't work out well? I know what happened here wasn't right but many of them were better off over there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Sam Kade wrote: »
    How many of the children that were sent to the US had happy lives they were only focusing on the ones that didn't work out well? I know what happened here wasn't right but many of them were better off over there.

Agreed, but as the topic you mention was not 'genealogical' and I already was pushing at the borders of the Forum Charter, I did not go down that road.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

Here in UK the authorities did the same thing by sending children to Canada, Australia and New Zealand.

Many of them are still alive today.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

You're missing the point to a huge extent.

Anyway, this isn't the place for debate. Might I suggest the 'Atheism and Agnosticism' forum - they have several threads related to the scandals.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,304 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I know I'm straying beyond the remit of this forum but the above comment has really irked me. To simply suggest that 'many of them were better off over there' and not left with their birth mothers (and fathers!) is ludicrous. It's quite clear that in these matters the church only acted in it's own selfish self-interest. And if it weren't so, then why are they not more forthcoming with information now. Why are we who were adopted still faced with an almost impossible task when we try to trace our pasts?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

Exporting children goes back a long way. One of my ancestors had two of her children put into the Smiley homes around 1901 while she was in prison for drunken behaviour and assault. The two children were never returned to her, and they were sent to Canada with a consignment of what were called 'home children'. Boatloads of children from children's homes in UK & Ireland were sent to Canada from the 1860s to work on farms and in homes. Some were lucky and many more were not so lucky. See more information at http://canadianbritishhomechildren.weebly.com/

Advertisement