Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Discussion Thread for Leaked Episodes (1-4) [** Spoilers **] - HAVE read the books

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Is it just me that wants to see Bronn come out on top? I always liked how his story ended in the books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

Sleepy wrote: »
    Is it just me that wants to see Bronn come out on top? I always liked how his story ended in the books.

Me too. I loved Bronn and Jaimes outfits when they arrived in Dorne, Bronn has sharpened up his image loads to reflect his newfound status in life. I really enjoyed his comment to Jaime after he took out the horse and the guy hit the ground under it "That one should be slow enough". Good to see Jaime fighting left handed, fair play to the actor, it looks awkward and no doubt feels it. The gold hand stopping the sword was funny too - as a warrior youd think he'd go all out Merle from the Walking Dead and strap a blade on the stump - itd make him a far more formidable opponent.

Im very much enjoying Castle Black, loved the way Alliser Thorne just rejected his buddy and let him take the punishment. Mind you, Janos Slynt was a moron to think he could behave that way, the Nights watch is a military operation.

Poor Ser Loras, that was a nasty move from Cersei. Theres no way they should be letting the Sparrows run riot around the city, Tywin Lannister would never have stood for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

MrWalsh wrote: »
    Me too. I loved Bronn and Jaimes outfits when they arrived in Dorne, Bronn has sharpened up his image loads to reflect his newfound status in life. I really enjoyed his comment to Jaime after he took out the horse and the guy hit the ground under it "That one should be slow enough". Good to see Jaime fighting left handed, fair play to the actor, it looks awkward and no doubt feels it. The gold hand stopping the sword was funny too - as a warrior youd think he'd go all out Merle from the Walking Dead and strap a blade on the stump - itd make him a far more formidable opponent.

Im very much enjoying Castle Black, loved the way Alliser Thorne just rejected his buddy and let him take the punishment. Mind you, Janos Slynt was a moron to think he could behave that way, the Nights watch is a military operation.

Poor Ser Loras, that was a nasty move from Cersei. Theres no way they should be letting the Sparrows run riot around the city, Tywin Lannister would never have stood for that!

The difference between Alliser Thorne and Janos Slynt is that Thorne understands that whether or not you like the Lord Commander, you obey him. Slynt learned that the hard way.

My non reading friend remarked that reinstating the Faith Militant was such a clever move. I had what will probably be my last "you know nothing" moment.. Cersies inability to rule and her eventual downfall are by far one of the best storylines in the later books and I'm fairly sure everyone will be happy to see her get her comeuppance.

One question. After Cersei has her walk of shame she's met by Qyburn who introduces us to her new and improved champion Robert Strong. Had The Faith Militant chosen their champion by the end of A Dance with Dragons?

I remember assuming The Hound would fight for them seeing as he had given his life in servitude to the seven. By digging graves...

GerB40 wrote: »
    The difference between Alliser Thorne and Janos Slynt is that Thorne understands that whether or not you like the Lord Commander, you obey him. Slynt learned that the hard way.

My non reading friend remarked that reinstating the Faith Militant was such a clever move. I had what will probably be my last "you know nothing" moment.. Cersies inability to rule and her eventual downfall are by far one of the best storylines in the later books and I'm fairly sure everyone will be happy to see her get her comeuppance.

Absolutely agree, although youd think Slynt would have known better seeing as he had commanded the City watch?

My non reading husband thinks the Faith Militant are effectively ISIS.

Speaking of "you know nothing" - I didnt enjoy hearing Melisandre say it. Thought it seemed a bit contrived.

I almost forgot one of my favourite moments - the return of Jaqen H'ghar, or more correctly, the return of A Man.

Clever move putting Sansa as Ramsays betrothed. There will be uproar if he treats her the way he treated fake Arya!! I dont think they could get away with those initial scenes with Ramsay/Fake Arya/Reek - I was quite shocked when reading them, cant imagine them onscreen!! Presume it will be Brienne/Pod who rescue Sansa with help from Theon who will then fall into Stannis's hands?

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned Balon Greyjoy being alive - I must have missed that bit?

Absolutely agree, although youd think Slynt would have known better seeing as he had commanded the City watch?
    Slynt was promoted through the City Watch for being a toady... not for being an effective commander. He moved from Lannister controlled Kings Landing where being a sycophant to Cersei had it's rewards to a military brotherhood that democratically elects it's own commander. He was out of his environment and too stupid to realise it.
    Clever move putting Sansa as Ramsays betrothed. There will be uproar if he treats her the way he treated fake Arya!! I dont think they could get away with those initial scenes with Ramsay/Fake Arya/Reek - I was quite shocked when reading them, cant imagine them onscreen!! Presume it will be Brienne/Pod who rescue Sansa with help from Theon who will then fall into Stannis's hands?
    Part of me hopes they have Ramsey treat her exactly as he treated Jayne Poole. It was shockingly brutal in the books. Just utterly sadistic and depraved and that's the way Ramsey has been raised. There'll be outrage from third wave feminists if they do it, conveniently overlooking the way Theon has been treated and this, I think, might make for an interesting point about the world being portrayed.

It's a much more brutal world than ours but, despite the claims I'd expect to see, the brutality isn't based in misogyny: it's simply a violent, brutal world. Given the choice of enduring the humiliation and rape that Ramsey subjects Jayne Poole to or the flaying and dismembering he subjects Theon to, I think most of us would consider the former as the lesser torture (despite how our own society often perceives rape to be on a par with murder).
    Someone earlier in the thread mentioned Balon Greyjoy being alive - I must have missed that bit?
    I think it's a reference to the fact we've heard nothing of him being killed. In the books he's had his "fall" by now. I suspect we'll hear of it on Yara's return to the Iron Islands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

My biggest gripe with the show is that I imagined the sand snakes to be hotter, a lot lot hotter.

Not really enjoying the Arya story line but I hated it in the book, I just think it's such a pointless arch.

love the sansa story line, it's different and it gives the character a real purpose unlike the books were she's just the victim in every chapter.

Bronn and Jamie just feels like filler, entertaining filler though.
    The wall, by far the best aspect of the slow, they could really just make the show about it.

Kings landing is just Meh, same with Danny T, such a pointless story line.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭PIORUN

Really enjoying the plot charges versus the book, although I initially thought I wouldn't

A lot of it has become very predicate from scene to scene unlike the books. Like when Jaime said he knew someone who would go to Dorne with him and next scene was Bronn talking to his wife.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭bopper

Oranage2 wrote: »
    My biggest gripe with the show is that I imagined the sand snakes to be hotter, a lot lot hotter.

All of them? Obara is not made out to be attractive in the books at all, quite the opposite. Nymeria is the only one described as beautiful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Just finished watching the first 4.

Can't believe how much it's deviating from the books and to be honest it makes me think any predictions or things people may think will happen in the rest of the season is gone out the window.

I can't remember the trailers but is there anything to suggest the High Sparrow/Cersi story will go anything like the books? As it stands it could continue the way it is and go completely against them.

I do think the sparrows is happening very fast. If I hadn't read the books I think I would be very confused about who they and the high sparrow are.

I can't see what way they are going to play out Doran and his big plans with no Arianne or Quentyn.

It's definitely lining up for a show down between Hotah and Jamie/Bronn.

I am enjoying the show but like many people I feel there are so many key things being left out. They aren't even things you could say, "fine that's only minor details" it huge plots in the books. Plots that make the books what they are, the little twists, meetings of certain characters etc...

Jofspring wrote: »
    I can't remember the trailers but is there anything to suggest the High Sparrow/Cersi story will go anything like the books? As it stands it could continue the way it is and go completely against them.
    There are set photos of the day they filmed Cersei's walk of shame so that definitely happens. Although she doesn't shave her head, just chops most of her hair off.

An interesting idea appearing in the non-readers thread spurred by the Maegi Flashback linking Cersei's telling Caitlyn Stark of a dark haired child she had with Robert Baratheon (back in Season 1/2) and the suggestion that Gendry could be that child i.e. Robert's true heir. It'd be a really nice twist imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,364 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

An interesting idea appearing in the non-readers thread spurred by the Maegi Flashback linking Cersei's telling Caitlyn Stark of a dark haired child she had with Robert Baratheon (back in Season 1/2) and the suggestion that Gendry could be that child i.e. Robert's true heir. It'd be a really nice twist imo.

I was looking to debunk this as I was sure that Gendry talked about his mother but all I got on the wiki was that all he remembers was his mother has blonde hair. Still very unlikely and there'd probably be no reason for it unless something strange with Cersei not wanting Robert's child, but it would be far too elaborate for anyone to pull off and say he was dead and Cersei not notice tbh.

I know how far-fetched it is, I just enjoy well reasoned tinfoil hat theorys :)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,402 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I thought it was made fairly clear Cersei killed that child? I was even going to point it out on thread I was so sure but then I couldn't remember if it was just in the book or show.

• Advertisement

The child never existed in the books and at the time, we were wondering if it was something Cersei was making up to toy with Caitlyn or if it was a departure from the books.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,402 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The child never existed in the books and at the time, we were wondering if it was something Cersei was making up to toy with Caitlyn or if it was a departure from the books.

Ah I remember now, it was that scene in season 1 that wasn't in the books where she was on about her love for her children was it and how she was actually happy on her wedding day to Robert?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

I picked up on this before.

I reckon they put it in to reinforce the idea that any true born child of Robert Baratheon would have black hair.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Ah I remember now, it was that scene in season 1 that wasn't in the books where she was on about her love for her children was it and how she was actually happy on her wedding day to Robert?

Yes - I thought it was a miscarried or still born child? Was it not in the books at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,194 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

IIRC didn't Cersi say a drunken Robert called her Lyanna on their wedding night.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Really not liking the Sansa story line. I don't think I could watch her get abused like "Arya" did in the books. She'll be married to a bigger monster than Joffrey.

Nim wrote: »
    Really not liking the Sansa story line. I don't think I could watch her get abused like "Arya" did in the books. She'll be married to a bigger monster than Joffrey.

She is but the have toned him down quite a bit on screen, I notice Theon seems to still have all his teeth and fingers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

She is but the have toned him down quite a bit on screen, I notice Theon seems to still have all his teeth and fingers.

His name is Reek it rhymes with freak

Judging by this Alfie Allen quote you could be right

"There's something that happens about halfway through this season that is really going to make huge waves, and people aren't going to be happy about it,"

"It's hard to watch. I bear witness to this thing, and it's crazy, sort of having to portray how messed up everyone's situation is through my own reactions to what happens. Get ready for it."

That sounds pretty rough :(

Then again I'm just presuming it will be some sort of rape/torture scene involving Sansa, but I can't imagine what else Reek would bear witness to that would upset viewers as much as he's suggesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

I wonder how disturbing it could get...i mean they know how shocked we were with the Red wedding, it's brutal enough at times at it is...i hope they don't make it too disturbing for us (and Sansa) :eek:

Sansa was 13 when the TV series started so I guess the fact that she's still a child would contribute to some of the expected shock. Even aside from that, I'm expecting it to be pretty brutal.

Sansa was 13 when the TV series started so I guess the fact that she's still a child would contribute to some of the expected shock. Even aside from that, I'm expecting it to be pretty brutal.

They couldnt go as far as the wedding night scene in the books, could they?

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

Jaysus, If Theon has to go down on poor Sansa :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭jooksavage

After watching the fourth episode, I'm convinced that Shireen has big role to play. There's been references to grey-scale and stone-men the last few shows. Remember there was some kind of prophecy about waking dragons from stone in series 3 when Mel was planning on burning Gendry? Also wasn't Shireen born on Dragonstone like Daenerys? Everyone assumes her grey-scale is an affliction; maybe it's her strength. That would jive with the weakness-as-a-strength device GRR Martin is fond of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

Dragon buried in the wall perhaps?

• Advertisement

An Ice Dragon? To be awakened when the horn of Jorramun is finally blown? Could that horn be the Ice dragon equivalent of Victarion's horn?

It's one of those theories that's floated for a while. First time I've heard of Shireen having an involvement with it though...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭jooksavage

Maybe Mel just brought her up north to burn her. I hope not. I reckon Stannis is pretty much screwed, especially with Brienne gunning for him. That' s a pity, I like Stephen Dillane's portrayal especially since he's thawed out a bit. I'm thinking Shireen could be most important Baratheon yet. Who knows? In the books I vaguely remember Val being afraid of Shireen and saying that she was "dead". Maybe Shireen's grey-scale gives her an affinity with the white walkers? I know there's a theory out there about the white walkers as potential good guys (or at least not the mindless zombie bad guys we currently take them for) so who knows.

Damn I love this show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

If they are killing Ser Barristan and spare Grey Worm's life for the sake of his love affair with Misanwhatshername, I'm done with the show.

• Site Banned Posts: 40 shooterjay

shouldnt ser strong be in it by now ?

shooterjay wrote: »
    shouldnt ser strong be in it by now ?

Did we not see him on Qyburn's table?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

I doubt Ser Barristan would be killed off now as he still has a role to play according to the books. But god knows they may just scrap the books altogether.

After watching the first four episodes again, I'm convinced something big is going to go down with Shireen this season. Her mother's cruelty toward her has been portrayed a couple of times, plus that emotional scene with Stannis and the whole grey scale discussion that's taken place between herself, Stannis and Gilly. This season especially has to make every scene at least count or bear some meaning / relevance. Or at least I hope so.

Hang on actually.

With Mace Tyrell and Ser Meryn Trant going to Braavos to negotiate with the Iron Bank ("Trant to protect Mace"), Arya is supposedly
    in training in episode 6
    . Could Ser Meryn run into Arya and give her another name to tick off her list ? ;)

Hang on actually.

With Mace Tyrell and Ser Meryn Trant going to Braavos to negotiate with the Iron Bank ("Trant to protect Mace"), Arya is supposedly
    in training in episode 6
    . Could Ser Meryn run into Arya and give her another name to tick off her list ? ;)

Have you read the "Mercy" chapter?

• Advertisement

GerB40 wrote: »
    Have you read the "Mercy" chapter?

Just read a synopsis of it just there. Is Rafford supposed to be
    Mace
    ? If so, am I really that far off ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Kinda starting to lose patience with this show.

Really disappointed with the majority of this season so far.

Think the stories all feel very threadbare and rushed.

Books 4 and 5 are enormous and they're just leaving too much behind.

That's without mentioning the amateurish depiction of Tyrell as the token gay. Can't understand how they could reduce such a powerful character to a "prancing fairy" cliché. As if a shower of oafs with hammers could capture the greatest swordsman in Westeros.

Just read a synopsis of it just there. Is Rafford supposed to be
    Mace
    ? If so, am I really that far off ?

I reckon
    Ser Meryn Trant will get what Raff the sweetling got in that chapter
    which would explain why they didn't bother with pointless filler like Cat of the Canals. I can't wait to see Mace react to The Iron Bank when they tell him they're funding Stannis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Just caught up but I am guessing with the mentions Rhaegar and Lyanna
    as well as Stannis saying how having a bastard with a tavern slut wouldn't be Ned's way we'll be getting Jon Stargeryn this season.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Just caught up but I am guessing with the mentions Rhaegar and Lyanna
    as well as Stannis saying how having a bastard with a tavern slut wouldn't be Ned's way we'll be getting Jon Stargeryn this season.

It's so heavily implied now I don't see how they can avoid that revelation. Imagine the scene

Measter Aemon breaks the news to Jon. He looks shocked but it suddenly all makes sense. He goes outside to tell Sam but sees all the lads standing there lookin shifty as fúck.
    Jon- "Sam, I need a word"
    Sam- (under his breath) "you'll need more than that in a few seconds bud".
    Jon- "Sorry, I didn't quite hear what yo
    Everyone else- "FOR THE WATCH MUDDA FUKKA
    And the stabathon begins...

Gbear wrote: »
    Kinda starting to lose patience with this show.

Really disappointed with the majority of this season so far.

Think the stories all feel very threadbare and rushed.

Books 4 and 5 are enormous and they're just leaving too much behind.

That's without mentioning the amateurish depiction of Tyrell as the token gay. Can't understand how they could reduce such a powerful character to a "prancing fairy" cliché. As if a shower of oafs with hammers could capture the greatest swordsman in Westeros.
    Actually as much as I didn't mind the episodes when I watched them, thinking about this has annoyed me a lot. The more I think back on the episodes the more they are annoying me.

• Advertisement

In what way has he been depicted as a prancing fairy :confused:

I always thought he played a much bigger role in the show than the books. He's one of the few guest stars to have appeared in every season.

It was the first thing I said when I saw that scene. Theres no way it rings true for me.

I feel the same way about Sansa Stark - as if she would be able to interact so calmly with Roose Bolton after he butchered her mother and brother. It just doesnt feel right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

Barry! :(

bopper wrote: »
    In what way has he been depicted as a prancing fairy :confused:

I always thought he played a much bigger role in the show than the books. He's one of the few guest stars to have appeared in every season.

Every time you see him it's about how gay he is. This is someone who's a phenom swordsman, compared to a young Jaime Lannister. Where are the scenes that show him schooling Tommen in swordfighting? Could have had some with Joffrey, maybe one with Bronn who he is also probably better than. Instead, unfortunately like they've done with a lot of characters they've made him one note and stereotypical. If he was sent away to battle and was reported back gravely injured like in the books would it have been shocking in any way given what we've seen of him so far?

What's the deal with the Kingsguard too? 5 randomers protecting Tommen now? The more I think back it just seems like the show has developed into a collection of random scenes, some admittedly excellent but very little arc happening throughout an episode. Barring the last one there was no finale moment that would absolutely make me look forward to the next episode.

Liam O wrote: »
    Every time you see him it's about how gay he is. This is someone who's a phenom swordsman, compared to a young Jaime Lannister. Where are the scenes that show him schooling Tommen in swordfighting? Could have had some with Joffrey, maybe one with Bronn who he is also probably better than. Instead, unfortunately like they've done with a lot of characters they've made him one note and stereotypical. If he was sent away to battle and was reported back gravely injured like in the books would it have been shocking in any way given what we've seen of him so far?

He's had a few mild love scenes, but not every scene he's been in is about how gay he is - Defeating the mountain at the hand's tournament, the confrontation with Jaime at Joffrey's wedding, his role in the battle of blackwater etc.

Plus his sexual relationships have actually served a purpose in terms of the plot. His grief over Renly's death is what drives him to align the Tyrels with the Lannisters, to get revenge against Stannis. His relationship with Olyvar is how Littlefinger finds out that Loras intends to marry Sansa, which in turn leads to the arranged marriage of Sansa and Tyrion. His latest scene with Olyvar was a lead in to Loras getting arrested, which is obviously going to strengthen the rivalry between Marg and Cersei.

So he's far from a cliché or a token character in my eyes. Most definitely not a "prancing fairy", it's not as if Louie Spence is running around King's Landing!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement