Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suitable server for SME

Options
  • 08-04-2015 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm involved with a startup that uses cloud based services such as Office 365 for email and document management.

We have an existing Windows Server running 2012 with an active directory controller that we need to replace because it's on the way out.

We'd like to buy a new server which is in desktop form (rather than rack) that can host a number of VMs such as an Active Directory Controller, Windows Service Update Service (WSUS), and perhaps another VM or two.

As a startup, we don't have a server room with air conditioning and we don't need a server with that much CPU resources because there won't be many users using it. The main tasks are for user authentication, user management, Bitlocker, and for pushing out operating system updates and software to client machines.

I'd greatly appreciate some suggestions on the hardware we could buy to suit the above scenario.

Thanks very much

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭STEINBERG

Hey John,

It looks like you guys would need to go the Workstation route, but what is the budget?

Just as an example see http://www.hardwareversand.de/en/2519/Workstation+Intel.search

On the left hand side there you can see workstations and servers, its a good start i think for what ye might need, but hopeflly somebody with more experience can guide you a little better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

From experience, It is usually best to stick with branded hardware when dealing with servers.

It is difficult to give an exact recommendation without knowing the requirements of each VM but perhaps along the lines of a virtualised HP ProLiant ML310e.

If what you are doing is really not intensive you could even look at the HP Microserver G8

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Ctrl Alt Del

Hi John,

Is quite hard to guesstimate a proper answer to your query !
    We need a proper description of your current setup,desired setup,gap analysis and then ... you will get your new shinny box.

Firstly,if the current server is running 2012 OS then how old is the hardware !?
    Why do you need separate physical or logical machines for AD,WSUS and "other" !?

Then...

Q1.what level of authority do you have in the process?
    Q2.how many users / desktops in the network
    Q3.what kind of network layout do you have such as speed,locations,cabinets,switches,offices,remote
    Q4.what budget you have in mind?
    Q5.what kind of SLA / support from hardware vendor ?

I'm more familiar with HP servers but i sell Lenovo and DELL if customer requests or based on budget.

A typical guess i will say:

ML 350 Series
    Any CPU Quad Core
    32Gb RAM (based on server mboard config,could be only 24Gb - 8Gb x 3)
    2 x 256Gb SSDs for OS
    2 x 512Gb SSDs for applications (if present)
    2 x 2Tb WD RE series for data shared across the wires
    Dual 1Gb network adapter
    Dual PSU modules
    3/5 years next business day hardware support (as minimum or upgrade to 4h)

You see... hmm,is not only the server that you may need to look at !
    Based on my previous experience,been called in offices asked to check why the server is running so slow.

Actually,i found that the server is doing a normal CPU/RAM usage but network/sharing was a killer.Upgraded to faster disks and fit a dual nic in teaming, improved the issue within happy client budget.

Also,most of the time,a normal user on a standard desktop says that the email is so slow to open and takes ages because the server is old & slow...when they were running on 2/4Gb of RAM ! Also,network packets was traveling over an old 100Mb switch or multiple cascaded switches with a chosen single switch for the server only.
    Got faster 1Gb managed switch,changed to hub-and-spoke configuration and all happy. Most of the time...server stays the same and we go to upgrade the desktops with SSDs and more RAM,tune-up affecting end users with a greater satisfaction return rather than getting a €5k server box !

The HP boxes have "dynamic cooling-dynamic power" settings in the BIOS.Is a smart feature that "regulates" the power and cooling based on environment,load.Just make sure that you install latest PSP / management software from HP web site after you finish the OS installation.
    If you decide to go with a tower rather than rack,i will pay an extra €500 to get a cabinet that will house the server.It could be noisy at times and cause stress to adjacent users.Been on the floor,it will attract all the dust from the office'floor !Also,pay attention to its security from physical location perspective !

I hope that makes sense...
    Let me know if i can be of further assistance !

Have fun...
    Regards

Hi John,

Any reply,update,feedback please.
    Are you "still" involved with the start-up ?

Rgds

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Hi,

Sorry I didn't see this reply until now.
    Hi John,

Firstly,if the current server is running 2012 OS then how old is the hardware !?
    Why do you need separate physical or logical machines for AD,WSUS and "other" !?

The hardware currently running the server is a desktop which was considered high spec when first released but is past it now and not fit for purpose.

I didn't say we were looking for separate physical machines, I said the contrary. We want one physical server capable of running a few VMs for AD etc.
    Then...

Q1.what level of authority do you have in the process?
    Q2.how many users / desktops in the network
    Q3.what kind of network layout do you have such as speed,locations,cabinets,switches,offices,remote
    Q4.what budget you have in mind?
    Q5.what kind of SLA / support from hardware vendor ?

I'm more familiar with HP servers but i sell Lenovo and DELL if customer requests or based on budget.

1) I'm technical lead so my suggestions would be considered by the directors who will probably trust what I say and make their decision on budget

2) Currently 6, each with a laptop, but we expect this to grow so we need to be able to scale to maybe 20 users. I should reiterate here that we use cloud based versions of Email Exchange, Sharepoint etc. There is therefore very little load on the server. In fact, our current server has been turned off for a while now. We just want to be able to manage our users and the updates and applications installed on their laptops using the minimum recommend architecture as suggestion by Microsoft.

3) There's Ethernet in the office, not sure if it's 100 of 1GB connection speed. 2 Wifi routers also in the office.

4) Given the anticipated low use of the new server, our budget is on the low end.

5) Haven't consider this but we are a tech company and will probably manage the server ourselves.
    A typical guess i will say:

ML 350 Series
    Any CPU Quad Core
    32Gb RAM (based on server mboard config,could be only 24Gb - 8Gb x 3)
    2 x 256Gb SSDs for OS
    2 x 512Gb SSDs for applications (if present)
    2 x 2Tb WD RE series for data shared across the wires
    Dual 1Gb network adapter
    Dual PSU modules
    3/5 years next business day hardware support (as minimum or upgrade to 4h)

Given the requirements above, that spec is overkill in my opinion. Could you revise based on our usage described above please?

If you decide to go with a tower rather than rack,i will pay an extra €500 to get a cabinet that will house the server.

Have fun...
    Regards

Yes that's what we plan on doing. Good suggestion thanks.

• Advertisement

Hi John,

What budget are we talking about ?

The above specified server (with only 2 x 512Gb SSDs and 24Gb RAM,3y NBD and no OS ) will cost you in region of €2.500 ex.

I mean,you can use a HP Micro Server ...that will suffice for you !?
    A MicroServer Gen8 ,Dual Core,16Gb RAM,2 x 512Gb SSDs ,Dual NIC,no OS,5 years 24x7 comes at around €€1,600 ex.

All prices ex ,today ! :)

Good luck...

Regards

Advertisement