Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Was I charged too much for laptop repair?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

annejohn91 wrote: »
    it appears to be my only option but paid 550 for this laptop and its only 18 months old. Its weird that it worked great for 4 or 5 days and then all of a sudden both problems arose again today.

the strange thing is I never let water spill into it not that I am aware of so when he told me that there was a lot of water found I was quite surprised (I am not lying but I just wish he explained to me exactly what he done to 'fix' the laptop)

How come you didn't bring it to the retailer you purchased from?

As I'm sure your warranty is definitely gone by bringing it to a third party to open it up

If you spent 550 on a laptop and only got 18 months surely you are entitled to a repair, replace or refund? Is it fit for purpose?

Hard drives surely are a consumable, (again, ASSUMMING it is that) - its not out of the realms of possibility that one could fail after only 18 months, it can happen anyone, just bad luck, but then surely the retailer has to step in?

I'd really like to know what the repair man did for 95 quid - take it apart and clean with isoprol alcohol?

Would like proof of the liquid damage though if you genuinely can't recall your laptop getting a soaking?

Anyone else using it when you were not around? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭annejohn91

Fieldog wrote: »
    How come you didn't bring it to the retailer you purchased from?

As I'm sure your warranty is definitely gone by bringing it to a third party to open it up

If you spent 550 on a laptop and only got 18 months surely you are entitled to a repair, replace or refund? Is it fit for purpose?

Hard drives surely are a consumable, (again, ASSUMMING it is that) - its not out of the realms of possibility that one could fail after only 18 months, it can happen anyone, just bad luck, but then surely the retailer has to step in?

I'd really like to know what the repair man did for 95 quid - take it apart and clean with isoprol alcohol?

Would like proof of the liquid damage though if you genuinely can't recall your laptop getting a soaking?

Anyone else using it when you were not around? :)

I had a lot of trouble with the retailer as it was bought online via a popular online retailer but they said they are not responsible because theh said they sell for another retailer (prob cant mention the names) so it was back and forth so I decided to get it done by third party as I was sick of arguing by phone and email.

I definitely didn't allow any water to spill and its just myself and partner in the house and he didn't spill anything. The repair guy said there was a lot of water found. I have no clue about laptops so I took him on his word as he said it is now fixed.

I am afraid that I bring it back tomorrow and they say its fixed yet again and charge me more money.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

I wonder if it's heat related?

Does this problem raise it's ugly head when cold (short period of use) or is it more prevalent when it in use for a prolonged period?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

the problem occurs at random times (mainly short period of use) the internet would not work immediately when I turn the laptop on. brought the laptop back there and the repair guy wanted another deposit off me. I told him no as I already paid 95 euro and he believes it could be a virus issue even though I said I wiped the laptop and re installed windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

the problem occurs at random times (mainly short period of use) the internet would not work immediately when I turn the laptop on. brought the laptop back there and the repair guy wanted another deposit off me. I told him no as I already paid 95 euro and he believes it could be a virus issue even though I said I wiped the laptop and re installed windows.

A virus (generally) won't get in under windows, I doubt its a virus tbh....

To be on safe side, run adwcleaner and malwarebytes, but I doubt it to be honest....

Another thing I would try is to find the exact model of laptop, then try download the wireless card drivers for it, sometimes windows update can get WiFi drivers wrong (its happened me) where you would get BSOD for no reason, only to find windows installed the wrong driver automatically...

Especially if you wiped it, you may need to hunt for the drivers after that, or did you just wipe it with the recovery partition?

• Advertisement

UPDATE:

I got a call from the repair and he said that my wifi card (maybe he said something else) was moving around and they have stuck it back (my words :P) so that should stop it from freezing and also the internet should be back working

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

wifi card should have been screwed in. Maybe he forgot to put the screw back in when reassembling the machine. in my opinion, this extra repair should be covered under the origional 95 repair price.

sKeith wrote: »
    wifi card should have been screwed in. Maybe he forgot to put the screw back in when reassembling the machine. in my opinion, this extra repair should be covered under the origional 95 repair price.

I hope so as I never got a chance to ask him as I ran out of a lecture to answer the call.

To be honest, I wont be paying any more because if that was his mistake he should not charge me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I hope so as I never got a chance to ask him as I ran out of a lecture to answer the call.

To be honest, I wont be paying any more because if that was his mistake he should not charge me

Do say to him that he would of removed the WiFi card when he was cleaning out all remains of the water the first time he repaired the laptop so it should of been put back properly say you will be a returning customer if he is nice to you now also it would only take two minutes to check the WiFi card so I didn't take long or cost anything

jayo26 wrote: »
    Do say to him that he would of removed the WiFi card when he was cleaning out all remains of the water the first time he repaired the laptop so it should of been put back properly say you will be a returning customer if he is nice to you now also it would only take two minutes to check the WiFi card so I didn't take long or cost anything

Brilliant thanks I'll say it to him then :) hopefully he is a nice guy as I am broke so won't be able to pay anymore :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

You usually don't need to break open a laptop to access the Wi-Fi card, it's usually got it's own compartment you can access by removing a few screws. It's one of the things that has to be removed to open it fully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭frankoreagan

Would the machine still freeze if you were connected by ethernet cable?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

You usually don't need to break open a laptop to access the Wi-Fi card, it's usually got it's own compartment you can access by removing a few screws. It's one of the things that has to be removed to open it fully

Depends on the laptop. The HP consumer models used to be the worst for making everything as difficult to get to as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

To repeat what the others said, 95 is a fair price if they were able to resolve the issue.

I'd be of the opinion however that there's an issue with the Wifi card in the laptop and reseating it (as they've probably done twice) seems to resolve the issue temporarily.

Don't pay them anymore for the second job they've done, but also don't be surprised if the issue returns shortly.

If the problem does come back, disable or remove your current WiFi card, get a lend of an external USB wifi adapter, install that and try it out for a few weeks. If the problem doesn't return, you could try purchase a second hand Wifi card for that model laptop on ebay.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭rcanpolat

Laptop freezing and dropping WiFi at times? He said there was water in the laptop? Sounds like bs to me.

That's a software issue. If water was on the boards it would short out and not work again... Not cause the system to lock up and WiFi to drop. Next time pm me!

Advertisement