Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rangers FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2012/2013

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Seems like a broken record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Where has that been said :confused:
    Jelle1880 wrote: »
    Increase PR ?
    Bollocks, people who keep on about the whole 'No Irish players' thing will always find a way to blast Rangers.

First we didn't sign Catholics, that was proven wrong.
    Then we didn't sign the right Catholics (Italian, Spanish,...), that was wrong too.
    Then we didn't sign Irish Catholics, which we did.

What next, we never signed an Irishman from the Falls Road ?

We have signed more Irish players than we did Bosnians, Canadians, Chileans, Belgians, Croatians, Czechs, Egyptians, Finish, Germans, Greeks, Israeli's,...
    Bobby Bobby Bobby not again :p
    You talk about moving on but the record seems to be stuck at this point
    Anyway lots of Irish Fellas have played for us maybe not the sort you want though
    It seems we are dammed if we do something positive and dammed if we don't

This waffle, sounds like ye want to wear blinkers or forget the past.

The big hullabaloo about this player is that he is gaa player signing for Rangers and the reaction of those around the player and those at your club, not a sentence about this kids ability or potential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭nordydan

Dempsey wrote: »
    Ye sign a GAA player and think yer the epitome of social inclusion & tolerance, LOL

Agree with the above. That being said its a small, and welcome, step down on a long journey to maturity for this club.

Well, it's not that clear in my post but yes, I do agree that Rangers accepts everyone.

Remind me: How many Northern Irish Protestants have Celtic signed ?
    I won't bother with certain periods, you can just go back in the entire club history.
    Little hint: You don't need an entire hand to count them on.

Well, it's not that clear in my post but yes, I do agree that Rangers accepts everyone.

Remind me: How many Northern Irish Protestants have Celtic signed ?
    I won't bother with certain periods, you can just go back in the entire club history.
    Little hint: You don't need an entire hand to count them on.

To quote a protestant manager of Celtic

"Jock, if there were two players, one Catholic and one Protestant. Who would you sign?"
    "The Protestant"
    "Why?"
    "Because I know that Rangers would never sign the Catholic"

You really going to convince yourself that Celtic didnt try to sign Northern Irish Protestants or discriminate players based on religion and background?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

This waffle, sounds like ye want to wear blinkers or forget the past.

The big hullabaloo about this player is that he is gaa player signing for Rangers and the reaction of those around the player and those at your club, not a sentence about this kids ability or potential.

Se the point you make is invalid as the story or rather the reporting of it was nothing to do with Rangers I took it from a Donegal web paper
    No one is saying we should forget the past in fact its important we remember it so the same mistakes are never made again.
    But whereas we are moving on or at least trying to people like yourself still seem to want to revel in the past as far as Rangers are concerned is it because you know you are slowly loosing another stick to beat us with

nordydan wrote: »
    Agree with the above. That being said its a small, and welcome, step down on a long journey to maturity for this club.

Do you actually know anything about the club or are you just listening to other peoples waffle ??

To quote a protestant manager of Celtic

"Jock, if there were two players, one Catholic and one Protestant. Who would you sign?"
    "The Protestant"
    "Why?"
    "Because I know that Rangers would never sign the Catholic"

You really going to convince yourself that Celtic didnt try to sign Northern Irish Protestants or discriminate players based on religion and background?

Jeez were you even born when the man said this that has been redundant for many years

Yeah the same manager that won the European cup for you and your great club offered him a job as a glorified salesman

Se the point you make is invalid as the story or rather the reporting of it was nothing to do with Rangers I took it from a Donegal web paper
    No one is saying we should forget the past in fact its important we remember it so the same mistakes are never made again.
    But whereas we are moving on or at least trying to people like yourself still seem to want to revel in the past as far as Rangers are concerned is it because you know you are slowly loosing another stick to beat us with

The source of the article is irrelevant to my point.

• Advertisement

The source of the article is irrelevant to my point.

I really give up how can Rangers get the blame the story came from the boys community but never mind eh as long as you believe its something else to have a dig at the club about

I really give up how can Rangers get the blame the story came from the boys community but never mind eh as long as you believe its something else to have a dig at the club about

What did I blame the club for exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Ye sign a GAA player and think yer the epitome of social inclusion & tolerance, LOL
    Lets not sign a GAA player for the sake of it. Key difference.

What did I blame the club for exactly?

If you on't know then there is not much point in continuing with this conversation

Seems like Danns chooses Leicester of Rangers.

Apparently we offered him 8000/week, Leicester offered him tons more.
    While I still believe that Whyte has the cash necessary it's discomforting to see player after player that we're interested in leave for smaller clubs.

It's about time we stopped looking at the overpriced market that is English football and focus on mainland Europe.

I firmly believe that countries like France, Holland, former Yugoslavia, Poland,... all have players who would jump at the opportunity to come to Rangers, for far less money than those in England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

While I still believe that Whyte has the cash necessary it's discomforting to see player after player that we're interested in leave for smaller clubs.

Why on Earth do you think that mate??? What has he done to convince you that he has money?

• Advertisement

Why on Earth do you think that mate??? What has he done to convince you that he has money?

The fact that Ibrox is being revamped at the moment ?

The fact that Ibrox is being revamped at the moment ?

That's seriously your answer???

It quite obviously is, otherwise I wouldn't have posted it.

Ibrox is revamped by Whyte (Complete overhaul of the foodstalls, new screens,...), that indicates he does have cash (Or at least more than the previous owners).
    As for transfers, we'll just have to wait and see.
    I know you lot are jumping at the bit to prove Rangers fans wrong and to show Whyte up for a cheat, but it's a bit early for that isn't it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭lubo_moravcik

Ibrox is revamped by Whyte (Complete overhaul of the foodstalls, new screens,...), that indicates he does have cash (Or at least more than the previous owners).
    I know you lot are jumping at the bit to prove Rangers fans wrong and to show Whyte up for a cheat, but it's a bit early for that isn't it ?
    Has the price of your season ticket went up this year??

Rangers has a turnover of £60m+ I'd say so the money to renovate the stadium should be there regardless of Whyte. How much of his own money has he put into the club? As far as I know so far it's only been £1.

I'm not accusing Whyte of being a "cheat" but I wouldn't trust him if I was a Rangers fan. He has a win/win financial situation going on at RFC no matter what happens you guys.

If I was one of you I'd love to know who's bankrolling him and what interest rate is being paid.

• Advertisement

Has the price of your season ticket went up this year??
    THE Ally McCoist era starts at Rangers today and the club has announced a new ticket pricing policy that promises unprecedented value for supporters.

There has been increasing demand for season tickets ahead of the 2011/12 campaign - figures are up on this stage last year and the number of new adult and juvenile applications has also increased significantly - as supporters sign up to the future under new owner Craig Whyte.

The season ticket offers even more value for fans this season and is the most cost effective way to watch Rangers play at Ibrox, with prices starting at as little as £98 for children in the Family Section and adult prices starting at £304 in the same stand.

Adult season ticket holders can save up to £119 on games whilst kids will save up to £129 with a season ticket including Celtic, and £83 on a Family Section season ticket which excludes Celtic.

In addition to the price of their books, season ticket holders are being offered a range of additional benefits including guaranteed discounts on non-season ticket home matches, guaranteed tickets for Old Firm home games and priority on other premium games including finals and European fixtures. Season holders can also move seats for one off games to sit with friends and family.

All juvenile season holders will receive free 'Junior Gers' membership benefits including 10% retail discount, mascot selection plus a discounted members pack and kids in the Family Section will enjoy parties at every weekend home game.

Season ticket holders who renewed their season ticket for 2011/12 will enjoy free access to the club's internet TV channel RangersTV.tv for one year plus exclusive discounts including offers on Kit, Hospitality, DVDs and tours.

Rangers, who won the SPL Family Champions Award last season, has continued its strategy of making football more affordable for families and encouraging the fans of the future by announcing a new, reduced pricing policy for individual SPL match tickets.

All juvenile prices have been reduced and now start at just £5. Adult tickets start at £22. Despite inflation and a rise in VAT, prices for adults to attend certain games have been reduced by £1 for the new campaign and other SPL fixtures are competitively priced.

Due to the attractiveness and demand for the Old Firm Derby, tickets for the Celtic games will be £42.

Rangers Chairman Craig Whyte commented: "I would like to thank our fans for their incredible support as season ticket figures are up on last season, once again showing their tremendous commitment to this club.

"We are committed to ensuring that the most cost effective way for our fans to watch the team is with a season ticket. We have also introduced a pricing policy where there is a mix of ticket prices for those fans who are not season ticket holders but want to see the team in action.

"We have increased the price of tickets for the Old Firm games due to the outstanding nature of the fixture - arguably one of the greatest club games in the world.

"Equally, we have introduced a cut in prices or only inflationary and VAT increases in other games. We are looking forward to a new era at Rangers together and Ally McCoist and I are working tirelessly to strengthen the squad over the next few weeks - rest assured new players will be in place for the new campaign.

"Supporters are the lifeblood of the club and there are exciting times ahead for us all as we look to build on the success of the last three seasons. We are also relishing the prospect of being Scotland's sole representative in the Champions League and as Chairman and owner of this great institution, it is an honour and privilege for me to be involved as I know there are many great times ahead for Rangers Football Club."

Andy Kerr, President of the Rangers Supporters Assembly, said: "I am delighted that the fans continue to back the club in huge numbers and it is terrific that season ticket figures are up. The rationale for the new ticket strategy is sound, particularly with regard to our juvenile supporters, and every fan will now be looking forward to the new season ahead.

"I look forward to working with Craig Whyte on behalf of the Rangers Supporters Assembly and I know he and Ally McCoist are both determined to continue the success we have achieved in the past seasons.

"The supporters are fully behind the new regime and we relish the prospect of unfurling the League Flag before the Hearts game at Ibrox on Saturday 23 July."

http://www.rangers.co.uk/articles/20...254024_2382209

Normal season tickets are the same price I believe.

bobby: If the money was there before Whyte came in, then why is it only now that this is happening ?

Normal season tickets are the same price I believe.
    You believe? Has the price of your season ticket gone up?? Didn't they tell you the prices when renewing???

I know for me to go to ipox for the first Celtic game is going to cost me £42, a £4 increase since Easter Sunday.

My season ticket for Celtic Park has remained the same price by the way.

Erm, I don't have a season ticket, just to clarify ;)
    And you should be glad, a lot of people would love to pay £42 to see the Champions at work :p

bobby: If the money was there before Whyte came in, then why is it only now that this is happening ?

Because the bank decided what the money would be spent on and they wanted to ensure that they were paid back thus money that should have been spent was not.

Your stadium is apparently in tatters in places there's that much work that needs to be carried out on it to bring it up to standard.

Erm, I don't have a season ticket, just to clarify ;)
    And you should be glad, a lot of people would love to pay £42 to see the Champions at work :p
    Wouldn't you get one to see these champions at work?? I don't get the wink part by the way!!!

Probably because I live nowhere near Glasgow and could probably only see a few games per season, at best.

bobby:It's neglected in places, but it's far from being 'in tatters'.

You believe? Has the price of your season ticket gone up?? Didn't they tell you the prices when renewing???

I know for me to go to ipox for the first Celtic game is going to cost me £42, a £4 increase since Easter Sunday.

My season ticket for Celtic Park has remained the same price by the way.

You will probably find that when we go to visit Parkhead we will be charged £42 as well The clubs agree these prices before the start of the season and to be honest its a disgrace but they know the fans will pay it

Lads,

Any chance of posting up your squad as it stands at the mo?

http://sport.stv.tv/football/scottish-premier/rangers/260282-mccoist-and-smith-admit-rangers-cant-match-championship-salaries/

McCoist and Smith admit Rangers can't match Championship salaries.

Must be media lies, where's your "war chest?"

http://sport.stv.tv/football/scottish-premier/rangers/260282-mccoist-and-smith-admit-rangers-cant-match-championship-salaries/

Just because the club are not willing to pay silly money Bobby
    Remember the club has went down that route and it landed us in the deep brown stuff

• Advertisement

Just because the club are not willing to pay silly money Bobby
    Remember the club has went down that route and it landed us in the deep brown stuff

Come on BBE, we're not talking about breaking the bank here, after all you do have a huge war chest no?

Interestingly twitter claims that:

"The only money rangers have spent is on the food kiosks...that money came from Glasgow council as part of commonwealth fund"

Surely alarm bells are either ringing or are very close to buddy?

Erm, you think Celtic can match Championship fees and wages ?
    Dream on buddy, the SPL is miles behind the Championship in regards to money.
    Nobody ever mentioned a huge war chest, Whyte has already stated that about 5 million would be available this year for transfers.

edit: Let me guess, a certain 'journalist' who lives in Donegal twittered it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

As much as it pains me to say it I have to agree with you!

Nobody ever mentioned a huge war chest, Whyte has already stated that about 5 million would be available this year for transfers.

edit: Let me guess, a certain 'journalist' who lives in Donegal twittered it ?

Celtic can compete with teams in the championship no problem. Last season, in the premier league, blackpool's highest wage was circa 8k per week, Celtic can afford to pay multiples of that.

Celtic also have a higher wage bill than quite a few EPL teams. The Championship might be Rangers level, but Celtic's is higher.

Nope, not from Phil, don't actually know the source.

The difference is: Championship teams are guaranteed of vast sums which allows them to keep this going.

How long do you think Celtic can cope with paying big wages, if they keep dropping out of Europe soon or without Champions League money (I assume that CL money is included in their budget for every season) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

I was pretty sure he promised £10 million in his first season plus any funds raised from transfers, did he not?

I was pretty sure he promised £10 million in his first season plus any funds raised from transfers, did he not?

5 million.

No idea where that came from, Whyte always said there would be 5 million available for the first season + whatever comes in from transfers.
    15 million over the coming 3 years as well.

I do however think this is just for transfers, so maybe with wages etc. he meant 10 million.

• Advertisement

Lads,

Any chance of posting up your squad as it stands at the mo?

Any sign of this squad list?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

No. We don't know the full squad.

The only players that atm have left are Weiss, Bartley, Diouf and I believe Beattie and Healy (He's apparently been offered a 1 year deal).
    Weir might stay on as back-up for another season.

There are rumours that Whittaker, McGregor, Davis,... might leave but there's nothing substantial yet.

The only players that atm have left are Weiss, Bartley, Diouf and I believe Beattie and Healy (He's apparently been offered a 1 year deal).
    Weir might stay on as back-up for another season.

There are rumours that Whittaker, McGregor, Davis,... might leave but there's nothing substantial yet.

I think Weir has signed another year... he's been training with you fellas anyway.

Whittaker has refused any deal put to him.

Was McGregor not in the papers the other day saying he wanted to sign an extension?

Yep, sounds like Whittaker is on his way out.
    Rangers offered him 20k per week which would make him the biggest earner in the squad I think, and he still wants to think about it.
    I say: Get the 1 million Bursaspor want to offer and use that to get Goodwillie in.

Not sure about Weir, I think he will stay but nothing has been signed yet.
    McGregor wants to stay but is happy for the club to get new players in first before signing a new contract.

Yep, sounds like Whittaker is on his way out.
    Rangers offered him 20k per week which would make him the biggest earner in the squad I think, and he still wants to think about it.
    I say: Get the 1 million Bursaspor want to offer and use that to get Goodwillie in.

Not sure about Weir, I think he will stay but nothing has been signed yet.
    McGregor wants to stay but is happy for the club to get new players in first before signing a new contract.

Is Bougherra still with you?

Did Papac sign a new deal for one or two years as well?

• Advertisement

Don't know about Papac' contract, but Bougherra is still with Rangers.

Don't know about Papac' contract, but Bougherra is still with Rangers.

I see Kerkar signed a new one year deal yesterday as well. Given he only played 30 minutes last year (he wasn't injured at all, just not deemed good enough) I'd say he was lucky to get that deal.

Any chance of putting up that list of players still at the club?

Not atm, can't access the site at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

From wikipedia:

1 GK Allan McGregor 29
    4 RB Kirk Broadfoot 26
    5 LB Sasa Papac 31
    6 CM Lee McCulloch 33
    7 CM Maurice Edu 25
    8 CM Steven Davis 26
    10 AM John Fleck 19
    11 CF Kyle Lafferty 23
    14 CF Steven Naismith 24
    16 RB Steven Whittaker 27
    18 CF Nikica Jelavić 25
    19 CF James Beattie 33
    23 CB Jordan McMillan 22
    24 CB Madjid Bougherra 28
    25 GK Neil Alexander 33
    28 LW Salim Kerkar 23
    39 LW Gregg Wylde 20
    40 CM Jamie Ness 20
    41 CM Kyle Hutton 20
    45 CB Darren Cole 19

Weir, Diouf, Weiss, Bartley, Foster and Healy are the notable departures from last season's squad.

From wikipedia:

1 GK Allan McGregor 29
    4 RB Kirk Broadfoot 26
    5 LB Sasa Papac 31
    6 CM Lee McCulloch 33
    7 CM Maurice Edu 25
    8 CM Steven Davis 26
    10 AM John Fleck 19
    11 CF Kyle Lafferty 23
    14 CF Steven Naismith 24
    16 RB Steven Whittaker 27
    18 CF Nikica Jelavić 25
    19 CF James Beattie 33
    23 CB Jordan McMillan 22
    24 CB Madjid Bougherra 28
    25 GK Neil Alexander 33
    28 LW Salim Kerkar 23
    39 LW Gregg Wylde 20
    40 CM Jamie Ness 20
    41 CM Kyle Hutton 20
    45 CB Darren Cole 19

Weir, Diouf, Weiss, Bartley, Foster and Healy are the notable departures from last season's squad.

Beattie has gone... and I'd say Weir will be added to that list soon as he's training with them. Very threadbare squad that.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement