Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your biggest fear getting older?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Probably the biggest concern (not sure I'd call it fear) I'd have is contracting a disease or having an accident that resulted in my being unable to look after myself or leading to me being a burden on my loved ones. If that happened I'd rather a quick death TBH

Like Galwayguy35 above I'm fast approaching 40 and have started to realise that I'm almost two-thirds through my working life and still have a long way to go if I plan to be able to enjoy my retirement and provide for myself/family in the way I want to.

I also am not one for doctors, check-ups etc but despite that I rarely get more than a cold twice a year - something else that'll probably change.

Oh well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lardy

Having to be shown how to use the latest bit of technology and not having a clue what the youth is on about. "I'n my day, all I had was an iPad, iPhone..."
    I still play my Sega Master System that I got in 1987, reminds me of being a kid. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 BobTheNihilist

Man I'm a catalogue of fears.

I hope I don't get terminal cancer or anything. I quit smoking and am quite fit now but still theres a risk even if you quit the fags.

I am also not working and hope I get a job soon as the job hunt is depressing. Min you I go to the gym a lot as Ive no work.

Also, Im in an LTR and I suppose assume I''ll be fucking railroaded into having kids at some stage. Because women are hellishly competitive.
    I dont really want to because I suffer from mental health issues ie have attempted suicide etc in the past and am in no way a provider or role model. Cant even get a job ffs. Loser.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Also, Im in an LTR and I suppose assume I''ll be fucking railroaded into having kids at some stage. Because women are hellishly competitive.
    I dont really want to because I suffer from mental health issues ie have attempted suicide etc in the past and am in no way a provider or role model. Cant even get a job ffs. Loser.

mod
    Easy on the generalisations there Bob, women aren't all the same.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Man I'm a catalogue of fears.

I hope I don't get terminal cancer or anything. I quit smoking and am quite fit now but still theres a risk even if you quit the fags.

I am also not working and hope I get a job soon as the job hunt is depressing. Min you I go to the gym a lot as Ive no work.

You're being way too hard on yourself. From my limited experience, yeah, your risk of getting cancer is a bit higher than the average non-smoker but still miles below smokers and exercise will cut that probability further.
    I've a degree and a masters and it took me years to get a decent job after I got made redundant ages ago. If companies here weren't so fond of using temps, I'd have had to come home.
    Having always been single, I can't comment on the end of your post beyond saying that your partner's desire for children isn't a good enough reason to have them unless you feel the same way. I don't know if you've ever been to counselling but I think that might help you.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Being in my late 20s, mostly financial and family. We're a tiny family, never had a close death. Dreading it.

Oh, and my dog dying at some stage.

Advertisement