Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PoE problem

Options
  • 01-11-2015 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭

I have an issue someone here may be able to help me with.

I am using a DGS-1210-28P D-Link switch for a CCTV project.

The cameras used are 10 no 1.3 Mp internal domes (powered by PoE) and 11 number number 21.Mp external cameras (powered by separate 24V AC supplies as they have fans/heaters).

My issue is I cannot connect to the internal domes, and the CCTV IP scanner/utility cannot see them. The cameras are rated IEEE802.3af, Class2, max load of 5.4W.

The DGS-1210-28P correctly assigns the ports I connect these cameras to as Class 2, and the link lights on the camera flash. The port light on the DGS-1210-28P flashes slowly orange. However, I cannot connect to the camera. I connected three external cameras to the switch on PoE and they worked immediately without issues.

Occasionally I see the internal cameras pop up in the CCTV IP scanner but just for a few seconds. If I refresh the view they are gone again. I noticed that when the camera is visible in the CCTV IP scanner, it also changes the ports Classification from ‘Class 2’ to 'Legacy PD' under the 'Classification’ column on the PoE port settings page on the DGS-1210-28P.

I have tried every port on the switch, same thing. I tried adding the cameras one at a time, renaming the IP address of the switch, the DVR etc. in case there was an IP conflict-still nothing.
    These cameras are PoE only so I tested them with a separate PowerDsine Midspan and all 5 cameras worked properly without any issues.

Any ideas as to what's amiss here? I basically set the switch up with the wizard-I went with a static IP, no SMTP. I tried changing all settings on the PoE Port settings page-auto, power as well as custom watts, priority, and ‘delay power detect’ What other settings can I check?

I have contacted Dlink & the CCTV Vendor, but the issue is each is blaming the other-D link make out its the cameras (doubtful if they work with a different midspan..) and Samsung are saying its a switch issue. :(

Any help would be greatly appreciated, TIA.

G.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Are the internal cams pre-installed? Can you test one with a 1m run of CAT6 from the switch?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Most are installed, using Cat6 for the internals & Cat6 & Belden 9504 to run 24 VAC power to the externals. Max run is <60M.

I have set up 3 of each (internal & external) hooked up locally to the switch and NVR to test & have a play about with using a mix of Cat5 & Cat 6 patch leads, I'm having the issue here.

Maybe check the wattage requirement of the camera's and what the switch can push out...

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The DGS-1210-28P correctly assigns the ports I connect these cameras to as Class 2, and the link lights on the camera flash. The port light on the DGS-1210-28P flashes slowly orange.

Is it possible this is an MDIX/Pinout problem?
    Input Voltage / Current 12V DC, PoE (IEEE802.3af class2)
    Power Consumption Max. 3.7W (12V DC), Max. 4.3W (PoE)

Just one of their cameras, but safe to assume it's something like that.

I have done, the 11 no. cams that are PoE are 5.4W, the switch's max load is 190W, so well within tolerance there.

• Advertisement

Problem sorted, thought all I had disabled all the port & PoE power saving features, turns out I missed an IEEE802.3az EEE power saving setting. Happy days.

Advertisement