Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Castelli kit?

• 29-07-2015 11:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭

I’ve noticed this is something of a uniform for the large and welcoming category of “Roadies who are fitter than me” and find myself curious to the point of almost wanting some (Uniform of shame alert).

In addition to its performance reputation the Castelli gear looks cool, on other people at least, although I have been passed by someone in some disturbing “One logo per buttock” bibs which is just way too much buttock accenting regardless of your preferences.

Generally I’ve been increasingly happy with the levelling up of my gear, largely thanks to the addition of the Top level Decathlon, DHB and of course Boards kit….but the quality boost I’ve found with my few bits of Endura gear really have me wondering if I’m missing out.

I’m now watching out for a good price on Endura bibs and jerseys as it seems like great kit with a less promissory message than Castelli.

I’m all about trying to live up to my bikes, so at least out of all the potential flaws in a cyclist I won’t be the guy walking up the Gap in a KOM jersey or struggling to use my shifters for the first time in the middle of a Sportive: All of the other shortcomings though, I’m totally stuck with.

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Had a debate with myself the other day as to whether to splash out for top of the range Altura bib shorts - http://www.evanscycles.com/products/altura/raceline-comp-bib-shorts-ec060750 -or bottom of the range Castellis - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/castelli-evoluzione-bib-shorts/ - ...went for the Altura but my inner bike snob wasn't best pleased. Obviously this hasn't answered your question in anyway but I thought I'd share for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Had a debate with myself the other day

Sorry for starting this.

:pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Put simply, Castelli is the finest value for money gear you can buy. It might seem expensive but it lasts. Is it as good as Assos or Rapha? Hard to say, it's not as expensive and the quality difference is minimal.

I don't but cheap gear anymore. I save and buy Castelli.

My entire winter wardrobe is Castelli: Mortirolo jacket, thermal bib longs, thermal gloves, overshoes and even a thermal head band. I bought all of the above together while I was living in the US in preparation for moving home. I've had it through 3 winters and many thousand kms and it's pristine. No exaggeration, the gear is perfect.

My summer gear is almost all Castelli and my sprint/autumn gear is too. I'm saving up for a GABBA and I'll be done for a few years of clothes buying I reckon.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

agreed on the castelli. i've done the dhb thing, and honestly they are decent gear, no complaints. still use them for my turbos. however i now have 2 pairs of castelli bibs, one with the cheaper kiss pad, the other has the more expensive pad, and they are worth every penny. have a pair of castelli tights, a gabba, and their arm warmers, and again all are top notch.castelli usually my first stop now for gear

that said i did just buy a new packable rain jacket, and went for the sportful hot pack no rain. sportful and castelli same parent company though so haven't strayed too far

mossym wrote: »

that said i did just buy a new packable rain jacket, and went for the sportful hot pack no rain. sportful and castelli same parent company though so haven't strayed too far

I actually forgot, the only piece of Castelli gear I regret buying is a rain cape. It was twice the price of a cheap one and I honestly can't tell the difference.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

aye poor feedback on their lightweight rain jackets was the reason i looked elsewhere

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I've done the Alsi/Lidl thing for a couple of years but got a gabba. The quality of that's has resulted in me investing in bib rights, 3/4 lengths and s winter jacket for the colder months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

The only piece of Castelli gear I have had were Bodypaint bib shorts. They were eye-wateringly expensive and very comfortable but didn't seem to last any longer than the general club stuff. I wouldn't be buying again.

My other clothing extravagance was an Assos winter jacket which I have used the ****e out of and is still going strong. I think good winter gear is worth paying for so maybe look at the higher end for that stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Luxman

I did the dhb thing for a while but it was a revelation to pull on some sportful kit. Yes some of it has the "S" in obvious places but the quality of the stuff is superb. Have bibs and jackets and was going to add castelli to the wardrobe when funds allow. Don't buy cheap and buy twice. And carefully check sizing as the Italian centimetres are different!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

Are any of you guys in cycling clubs? Do you not feel obliged to wear the club kit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

outfox wrote: »
    Are any of you guys in cycling clubs? Do you not feel obliged to wear the club kit?

I think that wearing your kit outside of group spins or coordinated events might feel a bit like homework...

That said I wear my boards kit a lot primarily because it's the best kit I have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,753 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

For races or events then fine.

IMO for club spins or solo training then its up to the rider. FIne if they want to wear it but no obligation.

You don't see football teams training in their match day gear!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Our club kit in my time has been Castilli, Santini, some crowd I don't want to remember and Sportsful. Shorts are black with name on side. Branded black does not look out of place.
    I would rate them that way as well

Esroh wrote: »
    Our club kit in my time has been Castilli, Santini, some crowd I don't want to remember and Sportsful. Shorts are black with name on side. Branded black does not look out of place.
    I would rate them that way as well

Castelli club gear? Well la de daaaa

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Brian? wrote: »
    Castelli club gear? Well la de daaaa

Its a while ago. :)

Is there a secret message to buy Sportful kit instead here?

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

The 'no rain' stuff is excellent.

nothing wrong with the sportful kit, in some areas it's better than the castelli, the packable rain jackets for example. on the whole though i find the castelli better, have bib shorts from both

colm18 wrote: »
    The 'no rain' stuff is excellent.

aye, the hot pack no rain i just got is impressing me no end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭Derrydingle

What shop in Dublin sells the Castelli gear?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

I've had two crashes while wearing my Nanoflex shorts. Both times the right hip took the impact. Not a mark on my shorts yet my skin was cut to bits. Had a pair of Santini knee warmers on when the second crash happened. Torn to pieces.

Fitz cycles in Stillorgan stock Castelli iirc.

Has anybody got the nanoflex knee warmers? I just got a pair and they don't stay on very well, they quickly slip down the thigh and means bunching of the material behind the knee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭cython

What shop in Dublin sells the Castelli gear?

Base2Race in Ballymount is one that I know of, and CycleSuperStore seem to have some also.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Has anybody got the nanoflex knee warmers? I just got a pair and they don't stay on very well, they quickly slip down the thigh and means bunching of the material behind the knee.

Have you tried being a BEEEEEEEEEEFFFFCake!

Have you tried being a BEEEEEEEEEEFFFFCake!

I did try, and like in all other endeavours I failed miserably.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Jim Stynes

Im a big fan of castelli. Like a lot of people I have followed the progression from the cheap stuff to taking the plunge and buying more expensive gear. It's like night and day. You get what you pay for (well 95% of the time) and it lasts so much longer. Having said that I think I prefer Assos now and find their shorts a lot more comfortable. I would never buy anything full price either, most of the time things are on sale on the million cycling websites or shops that are about. Some great deals knocking about.

i've seen others say the same, but i tried assos shorts and didn't get on with them at all, never felt the same quality as the castelli. with the castelli i always felt that although expensive, you were getting your money's worth, but with the assos they just never seemed any better than lower cost options

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Jim Stynes

Same with anything I suppose. It's whatever suits your body shape etc. sidi shoes get a great name but they just don't fit my foot so they're no good for me. For me though, out of sportful, santini, castelli and my club gear, Assos are my best shorts by a long way.

• Advertisement

What level of Castelli should one jump in ?

Advertisement