Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transfer Time/2016 Squads

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

gadetra wrote: »
    I can't have a favorite rider in a non-sexual fashion?

If I had a favourite rider that way it'd be Dan Craven :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Brian? wrote: »
    I don't think Cav did much wrong there. He's probably thrown harder shoulders in training.

I would happily call it a racing incident, but I thought it was a dick move not to just apologize and shake hands after the race, and move on. But that's Cav.

At least Argos Shimano got a good film out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

I can't have a favorite rider in a non-sexual fashion?

Who said anything about sexual?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Who said anything about sexual?

You!
    He really is my favorite rider though. In bicycling terms. So :P

And that's the end of my off-topicing!

Big change at MTN anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Can't understand why Cav got a 3 year contract ....he must be ecstatic
    Not a fan of his at all...Ego the size of a planet and he is vindictive .Must have cost a pretty penny to get him and his entourage

Pity I liked that MTN were beginning to concentrate on African talent esp climbers. Now it back to the old HTC days except I don't think you can ever go back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,795 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

I wouldn't be writing the eulogies for MTN just yet. The team wouldn't have singed Cav and the boys unless they bought into the philosophy and having one of the most well known riders on the planet will help raise awarness. Cav is basically a free pass to any WT race they choose. They still have young, African based riders like Teklehaimanot and Kudus. The real pity is losing Meijnties to Lampre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

MPFGLB wrote: »
    I liked that MTN were beginning to concentrate on African talent esp climbers. Now it back to the old HTC days except I don't think you can ever go back
    So what you're saying is, once you go...oh never mind. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,486 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    The real pity is losing Meijnties to Lampre.
    They were trying to renew him, so it wasn't like they were letting him go to build a sprint train.

I think Cav going there is an interesting move. Brian Smith is certainly talking a good game, in saying he doesn't want Cav just concentrating on sprints, which would be interesting to see. The tour stage in cross winds (as well as San Remo) and how he did in this years British Road Race, show he has potential at least have an attempt at some of the classics. If he's interested, which I am not really sure he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Fender76

Cav, Eddy Bos, Ciolek, Farrar, Renshaw... thats a lot of fast guys in one team...!
    Gonna be a mighty train...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Fender76 wrote: »
    Cav, Eddy Bos, Ciolek, Farrar, Renshaw... thats a lot of fast guys in one team...!
    Gonna be a mighty train...

Farrar fast?

• Advertisement

Slightly off topic but MTN have signed Nathan Haas and Omar Fraile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

I was just going to write on some suitable thread that with the departure of Cavendish Etixx would be a very different kind of team in terms of focus come the TdF & the like anyway. There'll be an awful lot of mental & emotional energy at stake when Cav & Kittel go head to head next year from Cav's end anyway, not that there wouldn't have been already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

Farrar fast?

He has seen better years for sure but he is still a sprinter and that team looks very top heavy with sprint train talent. I think what they will try to do is replicate in part the HTC days and get the publicity from stage wins and possibly a green jersey while also concentrating on a polka dot jersey. So coming away from a tour with two jerseys would be a stunning progression for the team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

Not really. There have been rumours for the past two months about a breakdown in relationship with Giant. How much of that was press and how much was real is open for discussion but clearly not all was right. Cav out and Kitty in is a good upgrade.

All together now! All transfer news in the one spot :)

Macy0161 wrote: »
    They were trying to renew him, so it wasn't like they were letting him go to build a sprint train.

I think Cav going there is an interesting move. Brian Smith is certainly talking a good game, in saying he doesn't want Cav just concentrating on sprints, which would be interesting to see. The tour stage in cross winds (as well as San Remo) and how he did in this years British Road Race, show he has potential at least have an attempt at some of the classics. If he's interested, which I am not really sure he is.

How do you know he didn't go because it had become the Cav sprinti temaand he saw the writing on the wall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Farrar fast?

Not as fast as he used to be but as he's so experienced in a bunch sprint he'll be a great help in the lead out train.

Having Degenkolb and Kittel on the same team always struck me as a bit of a selection headache. Probably a bit more straight-forward for them now.

Personally disappointed that my favourite non-Irish rider is leaving my favourite team, but oh well. A good move all around possibly.

Having Degenkolb and Kittel on the same team always struck me as a bit of a selection headache. Probably a bit more straight-forward for them now.

Personally disappointed that my favourite non-Irish rider is leaving my favourite team, but oh well. A good move all around possibly.

I expect Kittel to dominate next year as he will have great support at EQS ...lidl ?
    Mind you will he be bringing his sprint train with him...De Kort & Veelers for instance...would expect he needs them..Myabe GIANT will replace with climbers to help Dumoulin

This years transfer market is like musical chairs

• Advertisement

Eddie Dunbar is also on the move ....going to a Pro Conti team....not announced yet but leaving NFTO

Where did you see this?

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Where did you see this?

Heard it on Cycling Podcast ...Ned Boulting

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Eddie Dunbar is also on the move ....going to a Pro Conti team....not announced yet but leaving NFTO

NTFO has been good for him this year. Wonder if he's going to the One pro UK pro conti team ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

There really has been some big transfers announced in the last few months!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

RobFowl wrote: »
    NTFO has been good for him this year. Wonder if he's going to the One pro UK pro conti team ?

From what I had heard he'll be going state side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

Junior wrote: »

Interesting.

Not UHC.
    Has to be a stage racing team, as opposed to an NCC (crit) team. Hopefully one that travels to Europe during the season. Hopefully Optum. Please, please not Airgas/Horner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

dave2pvd wrote: »
    Interesting.

Not UHC.
    Has to be a stage racing team, as opposed to an NCC (crit) team. Hopefully one that travels to Europe during the season. Hopefully Optum. Please, please not Airgas/Horner.

Optum are only Conti not Pro Conti so wont be them.

D3PO wrote: »
    Optum are only Conti not Pro Conti so wont be them.

Danny Pate (Sky) has signed for them.
    He was runner up in the 2006 Ras btw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Junior wrote: »

Would Axel Merckx's Axeon Team be a possibility. Seen as a real development team with an emphasis on US Stage Races and U23 versions of european classics.

Maybe Eddie was recommended to Axel by the great man himself
    JU.png
    For the last six years, Merckx’s development team has performed brilliantly, scoring victories and podiums in prestigious one-day races such as the under-23 versions of Paris-Roubaix and Liège-Bastogne-Liège. Notable graduates of Merckx’s program who now race in the WorldTour include Taylor Phinney (BMC), Joe Dombrowski (Cannondale-Garmin) — who recently won the Tour of Utah — and Lawson Craddock (Giant-Alpecin).

In fact Eddie was close to signing for them last season too but chose to go to NFTO as it was closer to home
    “I was really close to Bissell Development Team (now Axeon) in America. It was between them and NFTO in England, but we weighed up the options and basically NFTO ticked all the boxes. It’s only an hour from home so it was an obvious choice at my age.”

Really hard to see how he'd go pro conti with a US team. Novo Nordisk is not a possibility. UHC emphasize the NCC series. Perhaps they are going to focus on stage races in 2016?

The other possibility: a conti team is about to graduate and pay their $100,000. the only one I have heard that is moving up so far is Lupus, although Hincapie have WorldTour ambitions in the next few years.

So here is where Eddie is going

http://www.axeoncycling.com/

cunavalos wrote: »
    Would Axel Merckx's Axeon Team be a possibility.

Nail on the head!

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

So here is where Eddie is going

http://www.axeoncycling.com/

So guess who'll be supplying his bikes???

mariocipollini2.jpg

Laurens Ten Dam has signed for Giant Alpecin. Bit more help for Dumoulin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭slow

Conor Dunne gone to Condor JLT. Follows Downey, Mullen, (McCarthy?) out of An Post CRC. Will it be an Irish-registered team next year?

Cameron Meyer gone to MTN Qhubeka. Did not expect that one

Konstantin Siutsou has also joined Mtn. Great signing for them, some collection of TTT riders they have now. Hope it works out for Siutsou too.

Team Colombia have folded. Awful news. Hope the riders can find a berth somewhere, but it's a bit late in the day now I suppose.

Team Colombia have folded. Awful news. Hope the riders can find a berth somewhere, but it's a bit late in the day now I suppose.

An Post CRC have a heap of spots free ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Saxo Bank no longer sponsoring Thinkoff team. I wonder what impact that might have?

https://twitter.com/saxobank/status/654582688020602880

No surprise really. They have been pretty open about wanting to sponsor a team run by Riis. So I do expect them back in the pro peleton at some point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

slow wrote: »
    Conor Dunne gone to Condor JLT. Follows Downey, Mullen, (McCarthy?) out of An Post CRC. Will it be an Irish-registered team next year?

Xandro Meurisse gone as well. Did well enough for them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

No surprise really. They have been pretty open about wanting to sponsor a team run by Riis. So I do expect them back in the pro peleton at some point.

Wasnt Thinkoff saying he wasnt putting any more money in before hand? Thats why I was wondering what impact it would have on the team. I doubt they are cheap to run

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Tinkoff might be feeling a bit more profligate now that he has the world champion.

quozl wrote: »
    Tinkoff might be feeling a bit more profligate now that he has the world champion.

He sasy he is not spending any more money. He has world champion and very few top riders ot support him int he classics ...strange

Nobody actually listens or believes what Oleg says though do they ?

Nobody actually listens or believes what Oleg says though do they ?

He loves to hear himself talk

Carlos Betencur to Movistar. Well he better get his finger out there but I suppose it is a better fit with a few Colombians in the team inc Quintana & Anacona, etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Another signing for Movistar: Dani Moreno.
    I know he's getting old, but he should prove to be a valuable asset.
    Big loss for Katusha.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/dani-moreno-joins-movistar-for-2016/

• Advertisement
Advertisement