Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fixed Penalty Notices for Cycling by end of year

• 18-07-2013 7:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

From d'Indo.....

Cyclists facing on-the-spot €50 fines for road offences

CYCLISTS will receive on-the-spot fines if they are caught riding on
    pavements or running red lights.

The Government is to introduce new regulations allowing gardai to impose
    fines of €50 on cyclists who break road safety laws.

The measure is contained in the Government's road safety strategy and comes
    after independent TD Finian McGrath caused a furore in May after blasting
    cyclists for being arrogant and lacking respect for other road users.

You'd have to wonder what took them so long and why it will still be about another 6 months?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

They must have finally got around to reading our thread :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,569 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I'm wondering how this will be inforced. As there's no requirement to carry ID when cycling, it's basically relying on the honesty of the person stopped to give their correct name and address. Seems like a PR exercise more than anything.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭Invincible

The on the spot fine was mentioned on Newstalk and will be discussed now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Brian? wrote: »
    I'm wondering how this will be inforced. As there's no requirement to carry ID when cycling, it's basically relying on the honesty of the person stopped to give their correct name and address. Seems like a PR exercise more than anything.

Radio back to the station to verify an address? Isn't that what Dublin Bus inspectors do?

I imagine if at that stage it's discovered you gave false name and address to a Garda you're in a lot more poo than a €50 fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Fine - *if* it's going to be linked to a serious drive stopping the bicycle theft epidemic.

It's ridiculous to fine cyclists - another tax hitting the poor disproportionally - while the people who steal bicycles face absolutely no police action, and if your bike's stolen the gardaí will just shrug at you and say "nothing we can do", despite CCTV identifying the thieves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Easy enough - the Guard seizes the bike, which he is entitled to do already, and gives you 7 days to come to the station with your id, or else the bike goes to the auction.
    Fine - *if* it's going to be linked to a serious drive stopping the bicycle theft epidemic.

It's ridiculous to fine cyclists - another tax hitting the poor disproportionally - while the people who steal bicycles face absolutely no police action, and if your bike's stolen the gardaí will just shrug at you and say "nothing we can do", despite CCTV identifying the thieves.

Not really, it'll only hit people who ignore three of the many laws that apply to road users who are cyclists.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I'm not paying any fines until all the bankers are in jail, Joe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭Invincible

Cycling near Kilmacud last Saturday I noticed the disregard motorists have on cycling lanes, parking in them, forcing cyclists to dismount or head onto road.

I'm not paying any fines until all the bankers are in jail, Joe.

Even the ones who did nothing wrong......:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

There is one piece of footpath that I cycle on when I'm bringing the baby to creche, it is to get to the LUAS crossing in Windy Arbour.

I could instead cycle the wrong way up the one way street at the same spot, seeing as that is not an on the spot finable (?) offence, I might be doing that instead.

• Advertisement

Jawgap wrote: »
    Even the ones who did nothing wrong......:confused:

They're all the same, working for the same poisoned organisations. If they did nothing to expose the wrongdoings they are guilty.

Paraphrased from some rambling about the church elsewhere on boards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I got knock down on the footpath a few weeks ago, bike coming around corner flying it and bursted into me.

Lucky enough i didnt suffer any major injuries and the cyclist admitted to been in the wrong and no bad vibes between us.

But if he had hit my little daughter or grand parent, then looking at broken legs etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Invincible wrote: »
    Cycling near Kilmacud last Saturday I noticed the disregard motorists have on cycling lanes, parking in them, forcing cyclists to dismount or head onto road.

Unless no parking sign up they can park there, stupid i know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Kurtosis

It's ridiculous to fine cyclists - another tax hitting the poor disproportionally - while the people who steal bicycles face absolutely no police action

How does fining cyclists for offences disproportionally hit the poor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

I know this has been discussed before but what does this mean now to my son when he's playing outside on his bike going up and down the path? He due a nice €50 fine?

Actually here is a question. If you're cycling in a cycle lane and a car in traffic is stopped pretty much blocking the entire lane. We've seen that many times. A cycling squeezing by clips the wing mirror or something. Does the car owner have any come back there? Reason I ask is I saw this happen coming through harrolds x a few weeks back. Cyclist clipped the wing mirror which smashed the glass, motorist went mental and told you shouldn't have been blocking the cycle lane.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

This can't be true.

You can't park in a cycle lane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Seaneh wrote: »
    This can't be true.

You can't park in a cycle lane.

Unless it's got a solid white line separating it from the road you can.

Solid line, cars not allowed in it, dashed line, they can

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

I got knock down on the footpath a few weeks ago, bike coming around corner flying it and bursted into me.
    What, like a big balloon when you stick a needle in it? Or more like one of those angry birds that explode if you press the screen after launching them? Oh - and what "it" was the the bike flying?

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

Being discussed on John Murray show with Marian Finucane now.

I know this has been discussed before but what does this mean now to my son when he's playing outside on his bike going up and down the path? He due a nice €50 fine?.

I doubt even the thickest, most bogger Guard is going to dish out a penalty for that unless your son is about 17 and practising his slalom technique among the ol' dears coming out of the post office with their pensions:D
    Actually here is a question. If you're cycling in a cycle lane and a car in traffic is stopped pretty much blocking the entire lane. We've seen that many times. A cycling squeezing by clips the wing mirror or something. Does the car owner have any come back there? Reason I ask is I saw this happen coming through harrolds x a few weeks back. Cyclist clipped the wing mirror which smashed the glass, motorist went mental and told you shouldn't have been blocking the cycle lane.

Only if the motorist catches you.......

If you do it deliberately, it's criminal damage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

It's ridiculous to fine cyclists - another tax hitting the poor disproportionally - while the people who steal bicycles face absolutely no police action,

Its ridiculous to fine road users who dont follow the rules of the road?

I see the lunatics every day.

About fu**ing time to !!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Its ridiculous to fine road users who dont follow the rules of the road?

I see the lunatics every day.

About fu**ing time to !!!!
    But but but if they're on the path, then they're surely not a road user :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

Do they pay road tax?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

ashleey wrote: »
    Do they pay road tax?

Pay what now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,138 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

"Transport Minister Leo Varadkar now plans to introduce new regulations before the end of the year, which would allow gardai to impose fines for three offences - breaking a red light, cycling on a footpath and overtaking in a dangerous situation."

That last one is going to be interesting.

Seaneh wrote: »
    Pay what now?
    I'm trying to stir the motors forum into action

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Invincible wrote: »
    The on the spot fine was mentioned on Newstalk and will be discussed now.

The piece was going well until they got to the part about high vis clothing. Listeners were texting in about some cyclists not wearing them and should there be also fines for not doing so.

Then the oul chestnut, 'rural' listeners were texting in to complain about cycling two abreast.

Sadly there was no "are you listeners mental" response from any of the participants which would lead to these type of fools thinking that their texts were right on.
    Bigcheeze wrote: »
    I imagine if at that stage it's discovered you gave false name and address to a Garda you're in a lot more poo than a €50 fine.

Sure how can they trace you, it's not like they have a licence plate to follow up on.
    dub_skav wrote: »
    There is one piece of footpath that I cycle on when I'm bringing the baby to creche, it is to get to the LUAS crossing in Windy Arbour.

Has me wondering that too, surely a bit of common sense applies if you're cycling behind kids. Unless you're doing it in Santry of course.
    But if he had hit my little daughter or grand parent, then looking at broken legs etc

The cyclists legs presumably ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,228 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

penguin88 wrote: »
    How does fining cyclists for offences disproportionally hit the poor?
    Cyclists are poor, which is why they're on a bike instead of driving a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kumsheen

ashleey wrote: »
    Do they pay road tax?

What's road tax?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If the Garda's not satisfied, they take the bike off the offender, who can only get the bike back by presenting themselves, their ID and their fine at the station. If they don't present themselves in 56 days, the bike is sold.

I suggested this about 18 months ago, and I'm telling you, this is what they'll do. They read these forums and they steal my feckin ideas. Wouldn't be the first time.

Lumen wrote: »
    "Transport Minister Leo Varadkar now plans to introduce new regulations before the end of the year, which would allow gardai to impose fines for three offences - breaking a red light, cycling on a footpath and overtaking in a dangerous situation."

I've been overtaken dangerously by about a foot clearance by fast moving traffic while cycling this week in Donegal. Any chance of clamping down on that while they are at it?

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

I know this has been discussed before but what does this mean now to my son when he's playing outside on his bike going up and down the path? He due a nice €50 fine?

You're ok with your kid breaking the law? Fine parenting...

Is there some sort of rapid alert system for the loons whenever such a thread is started on boards.ie ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭bren2001

I've no issue with an on the spot fine being issued for breaking lights or cycling on the path.

However, there are a couple of small sections of road that I just cannot cycle on. They are full of potholes and are extremely bumpy. The road is tight enough since there are a lot of trucks on it so I usually pop up on the path for the 100m or so. Guess I will be cycling in the middle of the road now. I look forward to the beeping motorists now.

ArseBurger wrote: »

He's a future ifsc banker in the making

• Advertisement

I assume they mean dangerous overtaking - as in weaving in and out of traffic - which lead me to wonder how will they catch me........

If I'm zipping through the lines of stopped cars and a Guard judges that to be dangerous and he's on foot how will he catch me (I doubt I'd stop just because he shouts.....)

......if the Guard is in a car he won't be able to follow me

.....if he's on a motorbike, he might be able to follow, but if the traffic is locked up I reckon he'd struggle.

I suppose that only leaves the helicopter and these boys to worry about.....

000695f9-314.jpg

ArseBurger wrote: »

http://www.dcya.gov.ie/docs/Age_of_Criminal_Responsibility/167.htm

"On 16 October 2006, under the Children Act 2001, the age of criminal responsibility was effectively raised from 7 to 12 years. Under the new provisions, no child under the age of 12 years can be charged with an offence. An exception is made for 10 and 11 year-olds charged with very serious offences, such as unlawful killing, a rape offence or aggravated sexual assault. In addition, the Director of Public Prosecutions must give consent for any child under the age of 14 years to be charged. "

And if you disagree with this I'll send my 7 year old round to beat the crap out of you. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭tomtucker81

There is no obligation under law for cyclists to carry id. However when someone breaks a road traffic law, id can be demanded off them for the purpose of verifying identity.
    If a road user can not provide a name and address or provides details that are believed to be false or misleading, they can be arrested until such time as their proper identity is established.
    Except with a cyclist where they can not be arrested for this. Instead, for want of a better way of describing it, the bike can be detained at a station until you come in with id. Strange law that cyclists are different
    Basically if you dont break the law you wont need id with you. Anyway I always carry my wallet with id when cycling, either commuting or out for a proper cycle. But then will I need to have to show id to someone.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

"On 16 October 2006, under the Children Act 2001, the age of criminal responsibility was effectively raised from 7 to 12 years. Under the new provisions, no child under the age of 12 years can be charged with an offence. An exception is made for 10 and 11 year-olds charged with very serious offences, such as unlawful killing, a rape offence or aggravated sexual assault. In addition, the Director of Public Prosecutions must give consent for any child under the age of 14 years to be charged. "
    If a child is over 14, they should be on the road anyway. Problem solved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Yeah, what does that one mean? Is that like going up the wrong side of the road to go past a line of traffic? Or does it mean salmoning up the wrong way on a one-way street? Probably not, because they would have said that if it was.

Nothing for those shoaling cyclists who plonk themselves in front of you at the traffic lights? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Cyclist liable for the damage.
    Motorist may have committed a wrong, but cyclist definitely did.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

I could instead cycle the wrong way up the one way street at the same spot, seeing as that is not an on the spot finable (?) offence, I might be doing that instead.

DLR are planning contra-flow for there.

That's not true.

No parking is allowed on a solid while lined cycle track in hours of operation, or with no time plate. Half the time motorists also partly park on the footpath which is clearly illegal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

I've got to say that this scheme is a much better system than what went before. In case you're not au fait with it, it went as follows: you cycle through a red, or on the path, you were stopped by a guard, they took your details, and (maybe, maybe not, the guard could be wooly about what their intentions were) in six+ months time you got an invite to appear in court where you would be looking at a €200 fine, or more if you don't bother to appear. The Guard has to turn up in court too.

The new plan is far more transparent, you get stopped, they give you fine, end of story. Far better.

Getting fined for going through lights has always existed, so the fine is nothing new, the way it is done is new and is to be welcomed.

I presume that is to cover cyclists swerving suddenly in front of traffic to get around another cyclist.
    Assuming motorists are driving with due care and attention there should be very few of these.

You do wonder where these 3 came from, the lights and path are obvious, but why this overtaking one specifically, why not salmoning for instance.

You do wonder where these 3 came from, the lights and path are obvious, but why this overtaking one specifically, why not salmoning for instance.

trap.jpg

but why this overtaking one specifically,

You heard it here first. It'll be used as a way to prevent cycling two abreast. Hey mister cyclist, you're taking a very long time to get by that other cyclist. But mister garda, we're allowed to.
    Less of the cheek sonny boy, you're failing to make progress with that overtaking manoeuvre and are making it very dangerous for the queue of traffic behind you've been holding up for what must be seconds. On the spot fine for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Jawgap wrote: »
    I assume they mean dangerous overtaking - as in weaving in and out of traffic - which lead me to wonder how will they catch me........

I'm hoping it only means things like overtaking 4 abreast and doesn't mean I have to sit in the bike lane drafting the commuter in front 'cos leaving the bike lane would be 'dangerous'...

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭thebionicdude

check_six wrote: »
    Yeah, what does that one mean?

My guess is it means that cyclists should sometimes come to a stop before overtaking as opposed to simply veering to overtake an obstacle even if they are ahead of the car in the lane they move into. An example would be when a bus is pulled into a bus-stop or when a car is parked on a cycle-lane ... these are obstacles to cyclists that many find inconvenient. Assumedly, some ignorant cyclists overtake without paying attention to following traffic, which can be dangerous if the car has to brake suddenly or swerve right.

If they clamp down on us, I hope they clamp down on taxi-drivers (or just clamp them), arguably the most dangerous and obstructive of all road users.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

There is no obligation under law for cyclists to carry id. However when someone breaks a road traffic law, id can be demanded off them for the purpose of verifying identity.
    If a road user can not provide a name and address or provides details that are believed to be false or misleading, they can be arrested until such time as their proper identity is established.
    Except with a cyclist where they can not be arrested for this. Instead, for want of a better way of describing it, the bike can be detained at a station until you come in with id. Strange law that cyclists are different
    Basically if you dont break the law you wont need id with you. Anyway I always carry my wallet with id when cycling, either commuting or out for a proper cycle. But then will I need to have to show id to someone.....
    The difference is that drivers of mechanically propelled vehicles are required to carry their driver's license while cyclists are not. Driver's license provides the ID (and the vehicle may be hard to impound).

cdaly_ wrote: »
    I'm hoping it only means things like overtaking 4 abreast and doesn't mean I have to sit in the bike lane drafting the commuter in front 'cos leaving the bike lane would be 'dangerous'...

Riding 4 abreast is not necessarily dangerous. It is probably illegal though, in the current law.

The new law is making something illegal on the basis that it's dangerous, which is interesting.

The bar on dangerous driving has always been very high because it's difficult to prove, hence lesser offences like "driving without due care and attention".

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement