Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wheels for heavy rider

• 31-07-2015 10:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭

I have a mate that is powerful on a bike, he's 14 stone, he is breaking spokes on his stock bike.
    I am suggesting Mavic aksiums, or Fulcrum 7's but think he;s better splashing an extra 100 for mavic equips? I found online for 310-anyone better suggestions for wheel and/or price, I found the best price on PBK
    cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭markusz

14 stone is definitely not heavy! 20 stone, yes.

those Mavic wheels are grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Undercover Elephant

I'm not too much less than that. I've had Aksiums for 3+ years. They're pretty much bombproof. I'd happily buy them again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'm a 120kgs, have never had anything other than bog standard rims. I cycle daily, and have never had a broken spoke or buckled wheel!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,654 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I'm about 16 stone, using stock Fulcrum 77 that comes with the Cube Peleton. I've about 9000 km on them and they are still like new. I dont think that there is to much different between the 77 and 7.

I did manage to pop a spoke on a Shimano R501 within a few kms.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 maconsid

I have aksiums and not a bother. The occasionally groan and creak is just myself on a hill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

There are a few other guys out that have the same wheels as him, but yesterday was my first time cycling with him, they are smooth cyclist and go study, he accelerates and mashes a lot, he would pound on the pedals, and like a car, constant acceleration is hard on the wheels….. but I'll point him towards aksiums/fulcrum 7-personally, I think he'd be happier, for e100 more, with a set of equipes….

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Mavic open pros with 105/ ultegra hubs in a 36/32 spoke configuration will do the job nicely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    Mavic open pros with 105/ ultegra hubs in a 36/32 spoke configuration will do the job nicely.

They are nice alrite, you know how much they'd set him back?

They are nice alrite, you know how much they'd set him back?

Probably over 400 for the Ultegra, but the new 105 hubs are grand and could be had for 300 to 350.

Edit: On wiggle for 313

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-105-5800-mavic-open-pro-wheelset/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭onthefringe

I have a mate that is powerful on a bike, he's 14 stone, he is breaking spokes on his stock bike.
    I am suggesting Mavic aksiums, or Fulcrum 7's but think he;s better splashing an extra 100 for mavic equips? I found online for 310-anyone better suggestions for wheel and/or price, I found the best price on PBK
    cheers

im nearly 15 stone and have never popped a spoke on a multitude of wheel levels and quality...

your mate is most likely not " mechanically sympathetic "

i.e..no clue of how to ride with machines capability's in mind..
    mashing, pulling gears hard under strain or load , standing on pedals and yawing bike will all lead to spoke problems...
    smooth en out technique and buy the 7's or askiums and hell be grand..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

16stones ish and on Kysirium Elite S for two years with no trouble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

OleRodrigo wrote: »

Im finding the open pro quite over rated. Mine is built up on a powertap hub with 28 DT swiss spokes and is impossible to keep in true. This is the second open pro, (previousl was the same) but will probably be my last. Im about 13-5 - 14 stone. I plan on replacing it with a cxp30 or something that is a bit stiffer (but havent really researched it fully yet)

lennymc wrote: »
    Im finding the open pro quite over rated. Mine is built up on a powertap hub with 28 DT swiss spokes and is impossible to keep in true. This is the second open pro, (previousl was the same) but will probably be my last. Im about 13-5 - 14 stone. I plan on replacing it with a cxp30 or something that is a bit stiffer (but havent really researched it fully yet)

Its not the first complaint I've heard but those that have had problems all seem to have 11 speed chaindrives and/ or pannier/ weight on one side ( something which the open pro doesn't seem to handle well )

The H Plus Son Archetypes are, IMO, better overall ( and look nicer ) but are a bit more expensive. Mind you, I think ford2600 has had similar issues with these as well and is trying out the TB14. Ive had Archetypes on a fixed gear for over a year and they are incredibly solid ( 60km ride to a train station on a flat rear wheel )

If they are well built and the weight is evenly distributed any of them should be OK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

asymmetrical rear rim for 11 speed, this is better than Mavic Open Pro

http://www.dtswiss.com/Components/Rims-Road/RR-440-asymmetric

front http://www.dtswiss.com/Components/Rims-Road/RR-440

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭billyhead

I have had Mavic Aksium on my 1st road bike I purchased about 3 years ago. It must have at least 10,000km on them and there still going strong. There great training wheels

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Phew, thought I was a fat bastard for a minute before I read the replies...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,654 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Thargor wrote: »
    Phew, thought I was a fat bastard for a minute before I read the replies...

Are you suggesting we are ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

lennymc wrote: »

Is your powertap not the problem? Nipples unscrewing?

At our weights I think 36 is a safer bet, my trouble was with 28 spoke wheels when I added 6/7kgs of panniers weight.

TB14 are comfy with 25mm Duran plus

OP if you just get a 36 spoke strong rim with decent hub for rear wheel only you'll be fine.

Advertisement