Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Durano vs. Marathon

• 31-07-2015 5:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭

After two punctures in 7 days I've decided to change my tyres. I'm more of a commuting and pleasure cyclist than sports and I cover about 150km a week. Wheel size is 700 x 28C.
    Should I go for the Schwalbe Durano Plus or the Marathon Plus? Looking for advice from people here after I've already looked online and haven't found much of a comparison. Will the marathons give better grip in crap weather as well as better puncture protection at the expense of speed while also increase vibrations from any bumps I hit? Will manoeuvrability be different between the two?
    Any advice much appreciated.

Edit: Also just realised the Durano plus comes in a 25c and not a 28c

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

Don't mess around, go for Tannus solid tyres! Just found out that they are stocked in Dublin, now, see these guys: http://www.dlbcycles.ie/, great service, and they fit them for free. Recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Buchaill_Mor

I have Durano. Happy enough with them but in the back of my mind on wet days I am aware they don't have much thread. The Duranos roll a lot nicer than the Marathons. What kind of bike are you fitting them to??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,137 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I have Durano. Happy enough with them but in the back of my mind on wet days I am aware they don't have much tread
    Tread doesn't increase wet grip.

Its a psychological thing with me. I have never come off but it is always in the back of my mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,137 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Its a psychological thing with me. I have never come off but it is always in the back of my mind.
    Aha!

• Advertisement

Maybe I am not going fast enough!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

It's a Giant FCR 2.1 I'm putting them on. Not a lot of tread on current tires but I've never come off in the wet either. Not sure about solid tyres. I'll check them out though

Effects wrote:
    It's a Giant FCR 2.1 I'm putting them on. Not a lot of tread on current tires but I've never come off in the wet either. Not sure about solid tyres. I'll check them out though

I'd go Durano on that bike. Gator skins get mentioned a lot here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I have marathon plus on my commuter/ road bike. Never had durano, so can't really compare them, but I've not had any issues in the wet with them. I don't do massive mileage, but no punctures in 3 or 4 years using them over 2 bikes.

The other thing people say is the weight of them, but for me, there's more room for losing weight off the rider than the tyres!

There is a knack to putting them on, which you'd want to be prepared for if you ever did puncture (I carry toe straps/ cable ties, which is the method I copied off YouTube).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I'm going to go for the Durano plus. Last tyres lasted me a few years with only one puncture that I can remember. In the mean time I've repaired the tube and patched up the tyre with some rubber and a bit of Tek 7.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

Have had Duran for years on commuter/trainer with few problems. Hard wearing and only rarely punctures. No issues really in the wet.

Found marathons very heavy and poor rolling. Not much fun for a road bike.

Had gator skins years ago. Hard wearing but scarily slippy in the wet. Practically had to dismount on any corners

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Smokeyskelton

I got Durano Plus tyres after getting frequent punctures in the stock Giant tyres.

In the past couple of years with Durano Plus I have only had one puncture with almost daily commutes through Dublin city centre, compared to weekly punctures with the stock Giant tyres.

I find grip ok, but other than the stock tyres I have no real comparator. It is only on wet man-hole covers etc that I have a problem with grip, but I imagine it is the same with most tyres.

Advertisement