Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Showers Galore - Overhaul options

Options
  • 08-04-2014 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭

We live in a rather unusual 3-storey house.
    There are 4 bathrooms in the house. One on ground flower, with a 7.5kw electric shower. Two on 1st floor, both with 7.5kw electric showers. and a third bathroom on 2nd floor, no electric shower, and obviously very low (i.e. unsuable) shower pressure.

One of the showers on the 1st floor is not working (not heating the water), and I was considering replacing it with a new one (possibly 10.5kw). But I thought I'd better give some thought to replacing them all with a shower pump system instead (we always have hot water - immersion and gas heating).

Questions, specifically, are:

1. What is the ballpark figure for replacement cost for a single electric shower (labour only) these days around Dublin - all the wiring and plumbing is in place, it's simply taking out the old one and putting in a new one.

2. What is the ballpark figure for installation cost (labour only) for putting in a shower pump system to feed 2 or 4 showers (they are unlikely to ever need to work simultaneously).

Any input would be greatly appreciated. TIA.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,878 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

You'd pay around €100 / €120 to get a shower replaced in Dublin though it usually works out cheaper if you go to a shower repair / installation & get it supplied & fitted. They can get the showers cheaper.

You don't say if you are using mains fed showers or pumped electric showers. 7.5kw is very low. You'd only get a good shower in the summer wher the water is warmer coming into the building.

Its very hard to give a ballpark figure for installing the pump. If they are all piped seperatly it would be a big job. they would all have to be repiped so the one pipe does them all.

If you are planning to pump water to the existing 7.5kw showers then think again. They are not able to heat the water any faster than they are already. So putting a pump on these will give you a lovely powerfull cold shower. you then have to reduce the pressure so it can heat up.
    Sorry can't be more helpfull. Maybe if you gave more info on what you want to do e.g. replace the electric showers.

Advertisement