Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Widescreen TV v's HDTV

Options
  • 27-03-2006 5:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi, want to get a telly but don't have the budget for an LCD so was going to get a widescreen, just wondering if anybody knows if these will be obsolete in a few years when high definition is everywhere?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

It'll be about 10 years, at least untill RTE start HD broadcasts, unless you get HDTV sky.

John

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

BBC will be starting up HD transmissions for the World Cup too apparently, though not sure of specifics. I'd assume they'll be free-to-air with the right HD receiver.

Yea. It'll be free to air to people in the UK, it will be on sky's HD service too.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds30793.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

technically it will be FTA to anyone under the footprint, not just the UK

Yes, but the trials of Freeview will only be in London.... so you'd be hard pushed to pick up a london transmitter outside England ;)

John

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

i'd hang on for a while in buying a television, most of the TVs out at the moment are HD compatible...which means they will decode the signal but won't give as good a picture as a HD ready TV. Philips came out with a 32" LCD HD ready there before Christmas and it was retailing at about €2200.

I wouldn't buy an analog television i.e. big flat screen. Not worth it. Wait a bit and get an LCD. At the moment a nice widescreen 100Hz is about €500-€600 whereas a Sharp HD compatible LCD 30" was about €999 at Christmas.

Keep an eye out on the deals in the paper. I just don't think a widescreen tube tele is worth it at this stage.

Advertisement