Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wordpress website problem

Options
  • 05-12-2014 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭

I have been asked to help out with a website buy someone who cant afford to pay someone at the moment. I have a good knowledge of computers but very limited knowledge of websites. They use wordpress and until recently have had no problem updating it. Lately however when they try to add media files they get an error that the file upload has failed due to an error. I think it may be something to do with permissions that maybe can be resolved by ftp to the host but that's as far as I can get. They say they dont have any details on hosting so I'm thinking is it free hosted by wordpress but dont know how I can tell this. I understand this isn't much to go on but any help would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

If it is free hosting then it will have a url something like http://xxxxx xxx.wordpress.com If the website is self hosted it will be something like http://xxxx xxx.com or .ie or .net etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 moon1

Hi, what type of error message do you get when you are trying to upload an image? "Failed to write file to disk"?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭lazer.blue

Thanks for the replys mayo.mick & moon1

mayo.mick there is no wordpress in the url so it looks like it is self hosted.
    The person who used to look after the website is no longer with them and cannot be contacted so they know nothing about hosting.
    When I search the url on whoisosting it says the hosting provider is CyrusOne.

moon1 the error says the file has failed to upload due to an error. The uploaded file could not be moved to
    /home/***/public_html/wp-content/uploads/2012/05

• Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭maccored

I'd assume your employer is paying the bill for the hosting - surely you should have last years invoices to see who the hosting company is? no company should ever have an employee set up a server and not have a record of the login info and hosting company themselves.

who controls the domain? If you have no idea where its hosted etc etc you'd be better buying new hosting, point the domain to the new server and reset everything from scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 moon1

lazer.blue wrote: »
    Thanks for the replys mayo.mick & moon1

mayo.mick there is no wordpress in the url so it looks like it is self hosted.
    The person who used to look after the website is no longer with them and cannot be contacted so they know nothing about hosting.
    When I search the url on whoisosting it says the hosting provider is CyrusOne.

moon1 the error says the file has failed to upload due to an error. The uploaded file could not be moved to

Its seems like a folder permission problem. I am not sure if you can fix this without going in cpanel..Try to contact the hosting provider and explain them your problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

lazer.blue wrote: »

You could try update the media location settings in WordPress.
    It looks like it's trying to write to a folder that is either old or doesn't exist anymore.
    In the settings there is an option on how media is stored/written to the server..

You would definitely need access to the hosting cpanel ad it maybe an issue with the amount of space assigned by your hosting company.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Sup08 wrote: »
    You could try update the media location settings in WordPress.
    It looks like it's trying to write to a folder that is either old or doesn't exist anymore.
    In the settings there is an option on how media is stored/written to the server..

You would definitely need access to the hosting cpanel ad it maybe an issue with the amount of space assigned by your hosting company.

it could also be a file size limit upload problem. Limit might be something like 2MB. Is the photos you are uploading larger than that? Resize them down and compress and try again?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭lazer.blue

Thanks to all for the help so far. I'm waiting on some more details from the owners now so when they get back to me I may be back with more questions.

Advertisement