Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easy to use website builder

Options
  • 08-12-2014 9:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Can ye help please (and thanks).

Am looking to use a "website" builder. In the end, if possible, I need to attach a domain name. I was using UCOZ because its free, but its terribly complicated to use.

- So, something thats easy to use/build (its for something in the local community).
    - Templates I could use/easy to add to menu/change logos etc.
    - Need to attach a domain name

Any advice please as I need to get this thing going.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭tramoreman

go for a cms system wordpress maybe you can install it on one click easy to use you only need to configure the site there are others drupal and joomula.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭adamrooney

dellas1979 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Am looking to use a "website" builder. In the end, if possible, I need to attach a domain name. I was using UCOZ because its free, but its terribly complicated to use.

- So, something thats easy to use/build (its for something in the local community).

Thanks

Have you looked at Wordpress? Easy to use and lots of tutorials online to help you along.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭adamrooney

Hi guys,

Thanks

Have you looked at Wordpress? Easy to use and lots of tutorials online to help you along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Thanks guys...
    I'd prefer to stay away from wordpress (if possible).

Any more advice/suggestions?

Ok-I created one using weebly.com. Very easy to use.

To attach the domain name is 30 dollars for 6 months. Small change for ease of use.

Few more questions before I go ahead ;): If anyone can answer please.

- Has anyone used this before? Any problems with it going down/crashing/slow?

- The domain name is already attached to a (very messy) word press site (I have the admin password). Do I need access/permissions? The guy who purchased it/reactivated it, I dont know him very well...do I need to contact him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

I wouldn't recommend weebly. For starters it has no email hosting. WordPress is simply a million miles ahead of weebly, wix, iWeb and the like - stick with WordPress. There are shed loads of video and other tutorials out there to help you with it. I am liking Squarespace a bit at the moment for non-tech savvy client's site, but again it has no email hosting.

And for your domain name, make sure you own it, not the guy who purchased it. Similar for your hosting, make sure you own that.

Thanks for the reply, but I dont want to use word press! I honestly dont have time to learn it in the next few days. I need something I can see, move around, attach domain name (for free if possible) and off I go.

Why not weebly? (you said, for starters, it doesnt have email hosting).

But what do you mean by email hosting. Like a query someone sends through the website? Am ok with them just emailing a generic email address like yahoo.

They have one set up info@webdomainname already...where would the email go? Surely not to the word press.

And weebly looks all done and ready to go......

Anything else anyone would recommend, bar word press.

Again, what does "And for your domain name, make sure you own it, not the guy who purchased it." what do I need from him?

I need something done by tomorrow evening.....and shur, it started off as a good will jesture, and now (for me) turning into a non-tech saavy nightmare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Invest properly in your business, assuming it is a business, and take the time (and money) to do up your website properly even if that means rolling up your sleeves and doing some learning or getting some one else to do it. A Yahoo email address just doesn't cut the professional mustard imo nor do the site builders I've mentioned. Website hosting and email hosting are best considered as separate even if they are on the same package. They can also be done with completely separate companies as is required with the site builders you are thinking of.

The Bad News:
    As for getting it all set up by tomorrow evening on your own domain name, you are extremely (optimistically 99%) unlikely to get the domain attached to it in time. It can take anything between a handful and 48 hours depending on a few factors and that's assuming and after your 'guy' and the current hosting company move immediately which is highly unlikely. For repointing (re-attaching) a domain name, you might well need authorisation codes and some other hoops need to be jumped through by all concerned parties.

I'm a bit at a loss as to why you don't want to use what is very likely and easily the best solution for your needs ie. WordPress. It what most of us professionals recommend especially for the less tech savvy.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,705 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Blogger will do everything that you want, involves no software downloads and has a very short learning curve. I've used it for several community-related sites. This is an absolute-basic getting started guide, which some people like.

Personally I don't believe that Wordpress is a suitable tool for the less tech-savvy: at very least, you need to be able to determine if your install is up to date, and to regularly check if every single plug-in you use is still up to date. Typically you need to do various other things too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

Personally I don't believe that Wordpress is a suitable tool for the less tech-savvy: at very least, you need to be able to determine if your install is up to date, and to regularly check if every single plug-in you use is still up to date. Typically you need to do various other things too.

Both checking if your install is up to date and checking if plugins are up to date are as simple as logging into the backend and checking the dashboard. It will tell you your current version as well as the remote up to date version as well as offering an automatic update.

Wordpress is as easy to learn as any WYSIWYG web engines out there such as Weebly and it's ilk.

OP if you are serious about your business (if this is a business website) then invest your time into something better. Having potential customers emailing a yahoo email address is not on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

Hi OP I know you said you don't have time to learn Wordpress but being honest its no less complicated then Weebly, plus there is a world of Youtube tutorials

I have used both and Wordpress is a million miles better and as I said just as easy to use as weebly (if not easier)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

Ok-I created one using weebly.com. Very easy to use.

To attach the domain name is 30 dollars for 6 months. Small change for ease of use.

Few more questions before I go ahead ;): If anyone can answer please.

- Has anyone used this before? Any problems with it going down/crashing/slow?

- The domain name is already attached to a (very messy) word press site (I have the admin password). Do I need access/permissions? The guy who purchased it/reactivated it, I dont know him very well...do I need to contact him.

Also if the domain name is already on a WP site you can't transfer without closing the WP site, will the owner be OK with that as he could still be paying for hosting etc

• Registered Users Posts: 25,705 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

OP if you are serious about your business (if this is a business website) then invest your time into something better. Having potential customers emailing a yahoo email address is not on.

The OP has already told us that "(its for something in the local community)", so I do not think that business considerations apply here.

The problem with idiot-proof solutions is that nature is continually making a better class of idiot.

Wordpress is a great tool in the right hands, but for many community groups it's way over the top. And the worse thing that can be done for many of them is setting up a website etc that they do not have skills or inclination to learn how to maintain. (eg as shown in this thread, when a boardsie has been dragged in to help).

Even now, I struggle to get some people to post updates to a site by sending an email message to an address I've given them: either they're scared about what might happen, or cannot figure out how to email and address that's not in their contact book (and I don't want it there, so there's no risk of them cc'in it to all their supporters!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭tramoreman

comparison of concrete5 v wordpress might be worth a read

http://tweakyourbiz.com/technology/2013/09/17/concrete5-vs-wordpress-cmswebsite/

Advertisement