Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Website Suggestions

Options
  • 11-06-2014 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

Hi All

I have a website which was designed about 1 year ago MyElectrician.ie
    I want to update/change my site to to make it more user friendly, easier to read & navigate & more professional looking. I also want to rank high in Google for keywords like 'Electrician Dublin'

Can anyone suggest any particular wordpress based theme that would suit my needs.

Also I would appreciate any opinions on what you think looks good/bad in my current site & any suggestions on what I should add to my new site.

Thanks in advance.

John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭M.T.D

Hi John,

"Electrician Dublin" is a fairly competitive keyword and to rank higher than your competitors you will need to have a "better" website than theirs.
    To rank well some things have more effect than others, the exact blend is Google's secret.
    This is based on only having a quick look at your site.
    The site seem reasonably set up albeit as a brochure site

Your biggest lack is focused content, think in terms of a page for each job type (minimum 300 words) (you do have some tucked away in the blog)
    Make sure you focus on how you can help the client solve a problem rather than yoursels or the appliance/fixture
    h tags need tidying
    Make sure you have something on all the social media channels especially Google's

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭John Electrician33

Thanks for your advise

Can you recommend any wordpress theme that would look good on both laptops and mobiles for a new electrician website

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭M.T.D

There are thousands of themes available, some good some not so good. If you are buying a theme check it is supported and will be updated as needed.There are several websites selling themes.
    As there is a variety of screen sizes in use, desktop, notepad, mobile phone... make sure the theme is responsive.

In general avoid "free" themes that are not on the WordPress website as they often contain malware, advertising links and backdoors.
    Also avoid themes with loads of "functions" built in as this can make changing themes at a later date a lot of work, rather find a responsive theme you like the look of and add any extra functions you require using plugins.

As we create themes ourselves for individual clients, we would rarely look at/for pre-made themes so can not advise and it would also be recommending you buy someone else's product for no commission rather than our own.

Remember having quality (useful to your potential clients) targeted contented laid out in a tidy intuitive way is more important than the theme.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

From the looks of it you are running a pretty easy to update responsive Wordpress theme and shouldn't take a hell of a lot to make it look decent.

Slicker images where needed, adding fewer non-nessesary images e.g. the top area where you have your phone number should be plain text not an image. More geographic targeting of content (address and service areas clearly laid out)

Try perhaps to dictate something perhaps every few days and have someone pad it out in their own words (freelance writer), post all that the relevant social media sites e.g. facebook/twitter/G+ (there are plugins that can do this for you every time you publish) - IMHO no post should be less than 500 words with certain targeted keywords which link throughout your site and ideally more than that but not rambling.

DO get a reviews section up and perhaps sign up with one of the reviews companies that google uses as a feed - make sure your G+ author profile is linked to your blogs AND business+ page.

I'd start with your content areas and make sure everything on your site is easily accessible from the homepage and all the nessesary content is there

Secondly make sure all your titles/descriptions are targeted.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭John Electrician33

Thanks for the advise so far - any other comments/advise would be appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Thanks for the advise so far - any other comments/advise would be appreciated

Link, link, link.

Put your website address on every single piece of material, including head letters. This will increase your traffic and make it more likely to appear online as more people are aware of the website.

Link from Facebook/Social Media, directories etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 moon1

I like the idea of testimonials on Google+

Advertisement