Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What engine has been in the most different cars?

Options
  • 30-11-2015 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭

Somebody parked a Peugeot 108 outside the car today, before I slashed the tyres and poured brake fluid on the roof - I got to thinking:
    That 1.0 engine was used in Daihatsu, Perodua, Toyota, Citroen, Peugeot and Subaru. That's a lot of sharing!

Then I remembered the Rover 3.5 V8, surely that's the most used across different makes. Certainly across loads of models in uk sports cars and within bl

Or is there another one I'm missing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

PSA 1.6 HDI in with a shout?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Are we talking makes, or models? Currently, the Renault 1.5 DCI and the Peugeot/Citroen 1.6 d seem to be in everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'm not sure tbh. I'm gonna say makes because of so many niche models within ranges nowadays

Some of the VM Motori stuff has been in loads of different makes, but I'm not really counting them because they're an engine supplier more than anything.

Wasn't the PSA 1.8d shared out a bit? Rover/Honda/ didn't ford use it for a bit?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

BMW M62

range rover 2002-2005
    E38 7 Series
    E39 5 Series
    E53 X5
    E31 8 Series
    Bentley Arnage
    and a few exotic / low production cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Somebody parked a Peugeot 108 outside the car today, before I slashed the tyres and poured brake fluid on the roof - I got to thinking:
    That 1.0 engine was used in Daihatsu, Perodua, Toyota, Citroen, Peugeot and Subaru. That's a lot of sharing!

Then I remembered the Rover 3.5 V8, surely that's the most used across different makes. Certainly across loads of models in uk sports cars and within bl

Or is there another one I'm missing?

The PSA DLD 1.6 diesel?

Ford, Volvo, Suzuki, Mini, Citroen, Peugeot.

Probably others, can't think of then right now

• Advertisement

Mycroft H wrote: »
    The PSA DLD 1.6 diesel?

Ford, Volvo, Suzuki, Mini, Citroen, Peugeot.

Probably others, can't think of then right now

Toyota used it in the proace SWB I think, Mazda as well

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

That buick v8 based one ? Land rover, range rover , P5B , SD1 , Morgans , TVRs

& these

See post #1 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Fiat 1.9/2.0 litre Multi-jet - Alfa Romeo, Opel/Vauxhall, Saab, Suzuki, Cadillac, Jeep and Lancia.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Fiat 1.9/2.0 litre Multi-jet - Alfa Romeo, Opel/Vauxhall, Saab, Suzuki, Cadillac, Jeep and Lancia.

Chevrolet
    Chery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭bren2002

Wasn't there a rover k series a few years back that was in everything?

The 1.8 was in the lotus Elise and some caterhams and those things that are pretty much the same as caterhams that are based on the lotus 7 that I can't think of, westfields, or did they use ford engines?

Actual list
    Rover
    MG
    Land Rover
    Aerial
    Lotus
    GTM
    Caterham

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The 1.8 was in the lotus Elise and some caterhams and those things that are pretty much the same as caterhams that are based on the lotus 7 that I can't think of, westfields, or did they use ford engines?

Actual list
    Rover
    MG
    Land Rover
    Aerial
    Lotus
    GTM
    Caterham
    FSO took a K-series also.

Kia Sedona has a KV6 if you'll allow that to be counted.

I don't think you could count k series as one engine though. The fso had the 1.4

Never knew the Sedona had the kv6. The Sedona itself was a ford design originally I think

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

If one was to include after market modifications the 1UZ-FE would have its fair share of whoring done, big in the 4x4 scene and the boy racer world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

For this I would want to avoid manufacturers that are part of the same group. That would rule out any VAG engine (even though the same VAG diesel could be fitted to a Skoda, Seat, VW, Audi, Porsche, etc). That criteria would rule out the BL/Austin Rover A series & B series engines, Chevy V8's, Ford V8's also.

Modern engines the PSA 1.6 diesel would be up there. The Rover K series would be a contender due to it's use in the kit car/low volume lightweight sports cars (Westfield, Caterham, etc). The Ford Sigma & Duratec petrols would be up there also for the same reason. The old Fold V6's (Essex & Cologne) were used by Simitar, TVR and others in the 60's, 70's & 80's.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

As mentioned earlier, the PSA 1.6 diesel.

From memory:

Peugeot:
    207/208/307/407/ Partner etc etc
    Citroen:
    C!/C2/C4/C5/DS range/MPVs/Berlingo/Dispatch
    Ford:
    Fiesta/Fusion/Focus/C-Max/Mondeo/Connect
    Mazda:
    Volvo:
    30/40/50/60/80
    Suxuki:
    SX4
    BMW:
    Mini
    Toyota:
    Proace

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

BMW M62

range rover 2002-2005
    E38 7 Series
    E39 5 Series
    E53 X5
    E31 8 Series
    Bentley Arnage
    and a few exotic / low production cars.

Did you know that a racing company owned (Or used to be) by Volkswagen actually developed the twin turbo version of the M62 for the Bentley Arnage?
    I emailed them some time ago to get more info, never got an answer :rolleyes:
    I would not mind 2 turbos on mine :D

engine-front.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

ianobrien wrote: »
    ...The Ford Sigma & Duratec petrols would be up there also for the same reason. The old Fold V6's (Essex & Cologne) were used by Simitar, TVR and others in the 60's, 70's & 80's.

Quite so. The Duratorq 2.2 diesel is all over the place as well, in Fords, Jags, Land Rovers as well as Fiat and PSA cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

VW's VR6 was in quite a few .......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

jimgoose wrote: »
    Quite so. The Duratorq 2.2 diesel is all over the place as well, in Fords, Jags, Land Rovers as well as Fiat and PSA cars.

I forgot about that. I'd consider Jag and LR to be part of Ford (well, they were when they were fitted to them) so I wouldn't count them. The Fiat & PSA Iis sharing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

one of the chevy v8s surely must be the leader. Especially if you count everything else they go into apart from cars...

305 perhaps or do the sub models count as different engines?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_small-block_engine#3.736_in_bore_family_.281976.E2.80.931998.29

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

bmstuff wrote: »
    Did you know that a racing company owned (Or used to be) by Volkswagen actually developed the twin turbo version of the M62 for the Bentley Arnage?
    I emailed them some time ago to get more info, never got an answer :rolleyes:
    I would not mind 2 turbos on mine :D

Depressing. Even Bentley has gone mad with chape bits of black plastic (Probably imported from the Pearl River Delta)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

If we are talking models rather than manufacturers then the Ford Crossflow or Pinto must be up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

If we are talking models rather than manufacturers then the Ford Crossflow or Pinto must be up there.
    Not forgetting a Hemi V8.

Things need to be redefined as with a K-series Rover engine I could list all the models and variants it was fitted in to make a very long list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Not forgetting a Hemi V8.

Things need to be redefined as with a K-series Rover engine I could list all the models and variants it was fitted in to make a very long list.

The fiat sohc engine was fitted to a heap of models too.

Advertisement