Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DPF Light and NCT?

• 30-11-2015 1:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi,

Have an NCT booked for a Honda Accord on Tuesday and earlier today the DPF light came on. There are two types, first being a warning that you need to go on a long drive and the second being take it to a garage for a repair - I got the second one straight away and am on reduced power.

Read up about it and tired the long drive in a low gear for about 30 minutes with no difference.

Questions are:
    1) Has anyone taken a car though the NCT with this warning light, is it an instant fail/will they even test it? From looking on their website, they only fail on safety warning lights, but I'm not sure I believe this!
    2) Does anyone know if the "regeneration" option (force a cleanout rather than a replacement) actually works and if there's somewhere in Dublin city centre that could do it?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Chev2010 wrote: »
    Hi,

Have an NCT booked for a Honda Accord on Tuesday and earlier today the DPF light came on. There are two types, first being a warning that you need to go on a long drive and the second being take it to a garage for a repair - I got the second one straight away and am on reduced power.

Read up about it and tired the long drive in a low gear for about 30 minutes with no difference.

Questions are:
    1) Has anyone taken a car though the NCT with this warning light, is it an instant fail/will they even test it? From looking on their website, they only fail on safety warning lights, but I'm not sure I believe this!
    2) Does anyone know if the "regeneration" option (force a cleanout rather than a replacement) actually works and if there's somewhere in Dublin city centre that could do it?

Thanks in advance!

You can get them cleaned now.

http://www.terracleanireland.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Afaik it's not a fail so you can bring it in with DPF light on.

Not specifically mentioned in manual
    https://www.ncts.ie/pdf/NCT%20Manual%20July%202014.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

I thought you failed for any warning lights?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

That NCT manual seems to only check for engine and safety warning lights

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Scottie99 wrote: »
    You can get them cleaned now.

http://www.terracleanireland.ie

What is their DPF service like? Has anyone got this done?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

My own DPF came on today. Hyundai Tucson - I'm looking at the DPF clinic. It's an expensive clean though being honest...

Anyone with any advice on them? I've tried the 35 quid DPF cleaning fuel additive and a long drive. It's not limp but its saying "Particulate Trap Below Threshold". Just get it cleaned?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I can't speak for the Terraclean DPF clean but talking to lots of people that have had DPF's cleaned it works for about 1000 miles then it blocks again.
    Its mostly driving style that causes them to block, 30 minutes in a low gear isn't a long drive, 2 hrs at 120kph is what it needs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭simdan

Had this with my 170bhp passat, it regularly came on and had to drive it up the motorway for an hour a week at 120kph to get rid of the problem for a few days. My garage, Coolmine motors dimantled the dpf, cleaned it down and serviced the car for very cheap. It was less than €200 about 2 years ago. Drove the car for 10k more miles and never saw the light again.

Highly recommended lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Bazzy

it needs to get to 600 degrees to unblock it.

So she'll need a good run. I think its a bit of a false economy when you think of the savings on tax V cost and hardship of replacing/Repairing them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Bazzy wrote: »
    it needs to get to 600 degrees to unblock it.

So she'll need a good run. I think its a bit of a false economy when you think of the savings on tax V cost and hardship of replacing/Repairing them
    Euro 5 requires a DPF but they do affect fuel economy and for people doing small miles they are only trouble in the making.
    Thats why they are a popular item to delete.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭robertpatterson

Is the ABS light an instant fail as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,823 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Is the ABS light an instant fail as well?

Well... yeah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭robertpatterson

bear1 wrote: »
    Well... yeah.

That's what I thought but a friend had his just passed with the abs light oneek.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,823 ✭✭✭✭bear1

That's what I thought but a friend had his just passed with the abs light oneek.png

If you look at the manual from the NCTS linked above you will see the list of failure reasons per element. ABS is one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Chev2010

Thanks all!

The NCT centre told me a DPF light isn't a fail, but it could fail on something related like emissions. From the doc I saw they fail for warning lights on brakes or safety features - seems reasonable :)

In the end I called Honda (Clonskeagh) and they took it in with 2 hours notice, ran a forced DPF Regen (took about 1.5 hours) and it fixed the issue - cost just €107. They also told me there was a recall on an airbag and a known issue with the plastic covers around the front window so are replacing all of that for free next week when the parts come in - well worth going there and they were really helpful.

Thankfully it passed the NCT this morning :)

Advertisement