Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Be careful... This is a man....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

bluewolf wrote: »

She doesn't look at all manly to me.

I'd tap that! More than likely get knocked back by her though. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭noddyone2

Why would you need to be careful? And it should read 'was' a man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I definitely would!
    Looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, so i'll ride it, eh, like a duck:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Kooli

That's terrible and should stop, but it's nothing to do with anything I just said.
    My point was, firstly, that the impression I got was that the OP was just being light hearted. If anything what he said pointed to the overall success of her efforts to switch gender as it clearly took him by surprise.
    And secondly, that I just think transgender is a more accurate term than woman, mainly because our sex is determined by our chromosomes.
    At no point did i advocate discrimination, inequality, harassment or abuse.

I would think that 'male' and 'female' are words that talk about biological sex and chromosone.
    Man and woman are gender. Transgender is not a third category along with man and woman. It is a second category along with cisgender (cisgender being someone who's expression of gender matches their biological sex).

So I am a cisgender woman. She is a transgender woman. But we're both women.

And although the intent may have been 'lighthearted', it's always important to call people out on lighthearted 'banter' that can potentially be hurtful, discriminatory, oppressive or contribute to the perpetuation of stereotypes about certain groups i.e. 'be careful' kind of feeds into the stereotype that transgender women are out to deceive and trap men.

Not that the OP needs to be berated or anything like that. Just nice to highlight that there are a group of people out there who are frequently harassed, abused and dehumanised, and we all should make sure we're not contributing to that. And our views about what the 'accurate terms' are are probably not as important as their views.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,102 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

That's terrible and should stop, but it's nothing to do with anything I just said.

At no point did i advocate discrimination, inequality, harassment or abuse.
    Agreed - the attitude of the OP and other posters is very discriminatory and while these attitudes are seen as acceptable and funny then daily harassment of trans people will continue. Transphobia is a disgusting reality. It includes verbal and physical harassment and people self harm and commit suicide as a result of it. It must be challenged as strongly as other forms of discrimination.
    Koolio explained Transgender/Cisgender quite well

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,421 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

No. Obviously it would take a little getting used to, but they'd still be the same person.

If I was getting into a relationship with a person I would certainly want to know beforehand.
    Call me narrow minded if you most, but I doubt I would even date a women who was born a man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Oh. This again. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

Agreed - the attitude of the OP and other posters is very discriminatory and while these attitudes are seen as acceptable and funny then daily harassment of trans people will continue. Transphobia is a disgusting reality. It includes verbal and physical harassment and people self harm and commit suicide as a result of it. It must be challenged as strongly as other forms of discrimination.
    Koolio explained Transgender/Cisgender quite well

I totally agree that nobody should be physically or mentally abused, but people are allowed to disagree and voice their opinion on topics such as this.

I certainly don't abuse anyone. Even in a heated argument I wouldn't insult people because of their physical appearance because I am very against bullying.

But personally, I do not agree that homosexuality or people changing their gender is right, this is my personal opinion. I don't insult, abuse, discriminate against these people, I just don't agree with it.

If I get abuse for having a differing opinion then those people are as bad as the homo/transphobes.

Kev_2012 wrote: »
    But personally, I do not agree that homosexuality or people changing their gender is right, this is my personal opinion. I don't insult, abuse, discriminate against these people, I just don't agree with it.

Yeah I don't agree with men. That's my personal opinion. Being male is wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

so long as you dont abuse, insult or discriminate against them.. what's the harm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Was waiting for answer like this. Listen if you're not going to add anything constructive then don't reply ya? :rolleyes:

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

....and so shall it be in those days......as was in the days....

Was waiting for answer like this. Listen if you're not going to add anything constructive then don't reply ya? :rolleyes:

Yeah, posting nonsense like you did is very constructive. So is using rolleyes at people.

ya :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yeah, posting nonsense like you did is very constructive. So is using rolleyes at people.

ya :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

How is it nonsense? It's my opinion. I am entitled to an opinion aren't I? I think AC/DC are a sh!t band, although a lot of other people like them. Does this make me wrong? I fail to see why you can't comprehend this :confused:

• Advertisement

so long as you dont abuse, insult or discriminate against them.. what's the harm?

The harm would be if men were a group that were routinely abused, insulted and discriminated against. The 'harmless' opinion that you continue to voice then becomes a contribution to that culture of oppression and is seen as support by those who are perpetrating the oppression, whether that is your intention or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,304 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Would it bother you if you started meeting a transgender person and a year down the line she/he told you that they were born a different sex?
    Only if I wanted kids. And I'd react to it the same way that I'd react to a woman saying she didn't want kids a year down the line.
    Being male is wrong.
    Makes it even more fun :D
    Listen if you're not going to add anything constructive then don't reply ya?
    But, but, but; you haven't added anything constructive. At all. In this entire thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

You only have to tolerate something, doesn't mean you have to accept it.

As for me, fair play to her.

You only have to tolerate something, doesn't mean you have to accept it.

As for me, fair play to her.

I'm not sure I understand the distinction here. I would think that people do actually have to accept it because it has nothing to do with them and they have no influence or control?

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭DubArk

If I get abuse for having a differing opinion then those people are as bad as the homo/transphobes.
    How is it nonsense? It's my opinion. I am entitled to an opinion aren't I? I think AC/DC are a sh!t band, although a lot of other people like them. Does this make me wrong? I fail to see why you can't comprehend this :confused:

An opinion on music choice and been a bigot have nothing in common.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

A person can't help how they feel about certain stuff though. If they try to understand it and don't give the people in question any abuse, that's better than simply refusing to have an open mind, IMO.

Kooli wrote: »
    I'm not sure I understand the distinction here. I would think that people do actually have to accept it because it has nothing to do with them and they have no influence or control?

Because it does have something to do with them? For example, I tolerate these things but don't agree, therefore, if I have kids, I'm going to tell them to be courteous to everyone but that being gay or transgender is wrong(remember, in my opinion ya?), and that it exists in this world, you can't do anything about it, so just get on with your own life and don't let these things affect you.

I don't care what people do as long as it doesn't affect my family, friends or myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Absolutely

The topic of gays and transsexuals is very subjective, and everyone is fully entitled to their own opinions and perception of the world.

We're all entitled to arbitrarily break up people into groups in our minds, and decide whether we relate to that group or not.

There's already legislation to stop people being discriminating in the media, in the workplace, violence, inciting hatred etc. So what is left?

So let me ask you, if you don't abuse, insult or discriminate against someone, but do hold a different opinion.... where are you doing wrong?

It might upset them yes, but where do you draw the line on differing subjective opinions, when that can include religion, politics, how to raise children etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

If the boys at the back of my old school bus started a thread this would be it.

the_syco wrote: »
    But, but, but; you haven't added anything constructive. At all. In this entire thread.

Adding my opinion to a topic on a DISCUSSION FORUM is constructive. People, like you, ridiculing me and dismissing the opinion isn't constructive. Simples.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

My post is not supposed to be taken in a derogirtory manner, its more of a wow.

A lost of post op transexuals you can really tell they were a male, but she looks a lot more like a natural woman than most.

I apologise for any offence taken but to clarify i am not transgenderphoic and to be honest I couldn't care less what someone whats to do with their body. I was posting this more in amazement at the success. If someone's taken offence to the title, get over it, it was meant in a light hearted way and yes, i should have probably should have said was a man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Links234 wrote: »
    Oh. This again. :(

Ok same stupid start to the thread but, this is not the same reaction I've seen
    on this topic before in ah. It is nice to see the OP being told cop on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Beruthiel wrote: »
    She is a woman now and no longer a man.

Only on the outside. I'm sorry but you can tart up an MR2 to look like a Ferrari and most people won't see the difference, but it is still a Toyota.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

So is she going to win or what? Surely that's the most important question of the day..

..and good choice of name, Jenna, I like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Only on the outside. I'm sorry but you can tart up an MR2 to look like a Ferrari and most people won't see the difference, but it is still a Toyota.
    Ah in fairness there's more change than just a superficial one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Dudess wrote: »
    Ah in fairness there's more change than just a superficial one.

I have no problem with people doing what they need to feel comfortable, but the internals are male. If a forensic pathologist examined the skeleton it would be male. The organs internal are male. It's only the outer (and possibly some of the electrics) that's female.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

The title Miss Universe Canada confuses me more than the point of this thread.

Because it does have something to do with them? For example, I tolerate these things but don't agree, therefore, if I have kids, I'm going to tell them to be courteous to everyone but that being gay or transgender is wrong(remember, in my opinion ya?), and that it exists in this world, you can't do anything about it, so just get on with your own life and don't let these things affect you.

I don't care what people do as long as it doesn't affect my family, friends or myself.

If you have kids?? LOL you’re going to fill their heads with your bigoted cra*. That’s sort of sad. I pity them. The fact that you're protecting your family and friends too from the Homo’s and Transgenders is very noble of you….. Why not the blacks while you’re at it?!?!

(remember, in my opinion ya?),

DubArk wrote: »
    If you have kids?? LOL you’re going to fill their heads with your bigoted cra*. That’s sort of sad. I pity them. The fact that you're protecting you family and friend too from the Homo’s and Transgenders is very noble of you….. Why not the blacks while you’re at it?!?!

(remember, in my opinion ya?),

So I raise them so that 1 is gay and another is transgender so just to please the PC brigade? Just because I would like to someday raise a traditional family, that automatically makes me a bigot? Get a grip.

And I'm not a racist in any way shape or form so why would I do that? Interracial marriage for me is a non issue, chalk and cheese tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I knew he was a bloke before I looked at the photo. :D

So I raise them so that 1 is gay and another is transgender so just to please the PC brigade? Just because I would like to someday raise a traditional family, that automatically makes me a bigot? Get a grip.

And I'm not a racist in any way shape or form so why would I do that? Interracial marriage for me is a non issue, chalk and cheese tbh.

What if one of your kids IS gay or transgender? (or do you think only PC-brigade liberal families have gay or transgender kids?)

It would to be so, so difficult for them to manage that. Well, it's difficult anyway for most kids in those circumstances, but it would be made 1000 times more difficult if they don't have a supportive parent to turn to.

It doesn't make you a bigot that you want to raise a traditional family. It makes you a bigot that you would tell your children that being gay or transgender is wrong. And you be creating new mini-bigots who can grow up to do the same.

“being gay or transgender is wrong!!!” That’s your opinion and it is comparative to bigoted people in any shape or form including racists!! My point exactly… I’m glad you’re not a racist and I’m sure you’re NOT but your opinions on Gay and Transgender people are as repugnant. You need to get a grip and listen to what you’re really saying. Wrapping yourself in the blanket of the Traditional Family as some sort of an excuse for been a bigot is mirrors and smoke.

Most Gay and Transgender people have been raised in a “Traditional Family”!!

Sharrow wrote: »
    Ok same stupid start to the thread but, this is not the same reaction I've seen
    on this topic before in ah. It is nice to see the OP being told cop on.

I would hope that the tone hasn't been 'cop on'. I think it's more helpful if people are called our respectfully on saying things that are homophobic/transphobic/sexist/racist etc. Most people's intentions are good and if they can be shown why comments might be problematic, they are often willing to listen.

But if people who make these kinds of comments are shouted down or told to cop on, they will become defensive of their position and no one gets anywhere.

We are ALL capable of thinking sexist/racist/homophobic/transphobic things no matter how educated we are in these matters or how much we wish to be inclusive. If we continue this false divide between 'transphobic people who say transphobic things' and 'the rest of us right-on folk who would never say anything transphobic', it makes it harder for people to examine their own transphobia when it arises.

What if one of your kids IS gay or transgender? (or do you think only PC-brigade liberal families have gay or transgender kids?)

It would to be so, so difficult for them to manage that. Well, it's difficult anyway for most kids in those circumstances, but it would be made 1000 times more difficult if they don't have a supportive parent to turn to.

It doesn't make you a bigot that you want to raise a traditional family. It makes you a bigot that you would tell your children that being gay or transgender is wrong. And you be creating new mini-bigots who can grow up to do the same.

Well I wouldn't happy of course if they were gay, I don't think I could associate myself with them if transgender (well it would be very very very difficult).

I would be happy if they carried those values on to their kids.
    DubArk wrote: »
    “being gay or transgender is wrong!!!” That’s your opinion and it is comparative to bigoted people in any shape or form including racists!! My point exactly… I’m glad you’re not a racist and I’m sure you’re NOT but your opinions on Gay and Transgender people are as repugnant. You need to get a grip and listen to what you’re really saying. Wrapping yourself in the blanket of the Traditional Family as some sort of an excuse for been a bigot is mirrors and smoke.

Most Gay and Transgender people have been raised in a “Traditional Family”!!

Can I ask you a simple question? Do you think paedophilia is wrong? That is also legally a psychological condition that they can't help.

Obviously it is wrong, but I find it difficult to differentiate being gay or transgender with a paedophile if they are all supposed to be all psychological conditions that people are supposedly born with. That is just another reason why I don't agree with homosexuality or being transgender.

I'd like a proper discussion on this please, no smart answers or calling me a bigot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭KamiKazeKitten

Well I wouldn't happy of course if they were gay, I don't think I could associate myself with them if transgender (well it would be very very very difficult).

You couldn't associate with them? Why not?
    They're still your child after all, does them being transgender suddenly change all that?

Can I ask you a simple question? Do you think paedophilia is wrong? That is also legally a psychological condition that they can't help.

Obviously it is wrong, but I find it difficult to differentiate being gay or transgender with a paedophile if they are all supposed to be all psychological conditions that people are supposedly born with. That is just another reason why I don't agree with homosexuality or being transgender.

I'd like a proper discussion on this please, no smart answers or calling me a bigot.

Oh my.

Transgenders are not harming anyone by becoming a man/woman.
    Gays are not harming anyone by having sex with their own sex.
    Paedophiles prey on children.

That clear enough for you? I worry that you even have to ask.

I do despair sometimes.

OK so with paedophilia, if the paedophile acts on their desires it is child abuse. This usually means irreparable damage to a child who has to engage in a non-consensual sexual act before they are emotionally or sexually mature.

With someone who is gay or transgender....who gets hurt? Where is the abuse?

With paedophilia, there is risk to others. HUGE risk to vulnerable children who must be protected by other adults.
    With LGBT it's just about an individual doing what's right for them in their own personal life and with other consenting adults. It has no impact on anyone else. It is none of our business.

Surely you see that?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

We need a name for an equivalent law to Godwin's that states that all arguments about homosexuality or transgender will have some eejit comparing it to paedophilia.

Any ideas for a name?

WOW! Now you’re putting Pedophiles into the same mix, more smoke and mirrors. You’ll find that Consenting Adults are the key words here. I’m not going to insult myself or Gay and Transgender people by entertaining your openly bigoted stance. I hope you're just Trolling for your sake!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Thats just fcuking idiotic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

You couldn't associate with them? Why not? They're still your child after all, does them being transgender suddenly change all that?

Why would it suprise you that someone would have difficulty coming to terms with it? Perhaps you missed Chazz Bono on the TV at the weekend describing the way Cher had ups and downs with dealing with his case. It's not simply a case of 100% supportive or 100% against for the vast majority of people.. even those going through it.
    We are ALL capable of thinking sexist/racist/homophobic/transphobic things no matter how educated we are in these matters or how much we wish to be inclusive. If we continue this false divide between 'transphobic people who say transphobic things' and 'the rest of us right-on folk who would never say anything transphobic', it makes it harder for people to examine their own transphobia when it arises.

+1 many times over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Call me backward, old fashioned, bigoted or ignorant if you will but if I was about to get jiggy with a girl and she said "by the way I used to have a cock but dont worry, it's inside out now" it would give me pause.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

Thread should've just had 'Careful now...' in the title.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

if I have kids, I'm going to tell them to be courteous to everyone but that being gay or transgender is wrong

Lets hope that one of your kids don't turn out to be gay or transgender then.
    Also, teaching them bigotry is a sad reflection on you as a would be parent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭KamiKazeKitten

prinz wrote: »
    Why would it suprise you that someone would have difficulty coming to terms with it? Perhaps you missed Chazz Bono on the TV at the weekend describing the way Cher had ups and downs with dealing with his case. It's not simply a case of 100% supportive or 100% against for the vast majority of people.. even those going through it.

It doesn't totally surprise me, but I'm curious to find out his point of view on it.
    I wouldn't expect him to immediately get used to it of course but from his comparison of transgenderism with paedophilia I want to hear what action he would take if his child was trans.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

lol, you don't have much of a say in what orientation your children will have.

You could very well end up with a gay child.
    We need a name for an equivalent law to Godwin's that states that all arguments about homosexuality or transgender will have some eejit comparing it to paedophilia.

Any ideas for a name?

Lets just call it Kev's Law.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement