Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Adebayor (Mod warning Post #35)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 91 ✭✭KarlNedCarew

BBC Sport wrote:
    It is reported that the 25-year-old may receive a six-match ban - three for each incident - if he is found guilty.

Is the FA seroiusly saying that an extremely dangerous "challenge" faces the same punishment as an innapropriate celebration!!

If they are I'd say celebrations will be rather muted from now on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,898 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Good letter on F365 regarding the celebration -
    ...Amidst all the opprobrium, am I the only one who thinks Adebayor's celebration is the greatest non-football thing seen on a football pitch in decades? I have never liked the guy but for a snippet of sheer drama the sight of him sprinting the full length of the pitch, screaming all the way like some demented warrior, and then sliding to an elegant halt was just... perfect. He has risen hugely in my estimation by his action. Anybody who gets so much crap from fans - fully deserved, no doubt - should feel perfectly justified in giving it back in spades, and that's exactly what he did, in spectacular fashion.

It's not his fault those Arsenal fans who reacted were such complete morons. The oft-cited excuse of 'provocation' is a numbskull's sanctuary. If you are so emotionally incontinent that you can't restrain yourself from violence when someone goads you about the outcome of a football match, then you shouldn't be allowed into a football stadium.
    Bob, Birmingham

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Xavi6 wrote: »
    But anyway if that celebration is looked at then I hope the FA have some footage of RVP's. That was just as insightful.

What did van Persie do? I haven't seen any footage from the match yet apart from some of the gifs on this thread. Do you have a link to a video of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,621 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Ah so we're back to measuring punishments by length of distance ran/time.

didnt ade say after the match that emotions took over for that celebration

17 seconds to run to the arsenal fans

I can say raw emotion can take over ya but 17 seconds of emotion is tad much

he knew well what he was doing and inreturn his action (not directly) cause a steward to get injured

im not leaving arsenal fans out here what so ever,their behaviour was very bad but ade takes the blunt of my sword

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭event

for the stamp he will get a 3 match ban definately, potentially more

was a really disgusting thing to do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

A bit funny that coming from a brummie considering this http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/14-held-after-soccer-derby-426274.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Headshot wrote: »

he knew well what he was doing and inreturn his action (not directly) cause a steward to get injured

im not leaving arsenal fans out here what so ever,their behaviour was very bad but ade takes the blunt of my sword

As a fan I would say I have had emotional reactions to goals for longer than 17 seconds, so yeah I would believe that an actual player playing in a packed stadium could.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Good if you're a City fan maybe.

Personally I agree with the points he has made and that if you give it you should be able to take it however, in football it's not the case with most fans. Just look at most of the threads on here.

The onus of responsibility is with the highly paid professional, in this case Adebayor, to act responsible and not to try and incite the crowd. Anybody with any knowledge of the history of crowd behaviour at English grounds should understand this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,569 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Quality letter
    jasonorr wrote: »
    What did van Persie do? I haven't seen any footage from the match yet apart from some of the gifs on this thread. Do you have a link to a video of it?

Started screaming "F**king B***ards" at the City fans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Oh that's right - RVP did run the lenght of the pitch to taunt a small section of support. Not likely

Adebayor slid on his knees. RVP, quite vocally, told the fans to "F*ck off!".

Yeh. Obviously RVP should be given a medal and Adebayor banned for life. :rolleyes:

Commen sense please.

• Advertisement

From 50 seconds on you can see it, though the Sopcast channel I was watching had a better angle from straight in front.Basically ran straight to the corner shouting "Fuck off" repeatedly until one of the subs ran in front of him.

I've seen posts from City fans in that area who were quite annoyed about it anyway, even without the Adebayor thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,621 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

As a fan I would say I have had emotional reactions to goals for longer than 17 seconds, so yeah I would believe that an actual player playing in a packed stadium could.

so running exactly to the arsenal fans ,when he was suppose to under this raw emotion

he knew well what he was doing

but I give him credit it's the fastest ive ever seen him move

RVP also done the smell my finger bit. Thats definitely a ban for me.

so running exactly to the arsenal fans ,when he was suppose to under this raw emotion

he knew well what he was doing

but I give him credit it's the fastest ive ever seen him move

Yeah he knew what he was doing, but it was still an emotional reaction.

Either way whether it was pre-planned, or an emotional reaction doesn't take away anything from what he did. One just gives him an excuse/reason for doing it.

I know there are safety concerns for the stewards and clubs etc, but I apart from that I don't see a problem with what he did. Its the emotions of the game, that make you love the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭fortuneg

Mr Alan wrote: »
    personally i don't think its as blatant as people are making out.

RVP's tackle was far more blatant and was a potential leg breaker that wasn't punished by the ref, should he be banned?

Admittedly it wasn't the greatest tackle in the world and he went in with two feet (studs down), but the ball was there to be won. Since Adebayor was too quick for him I do think it was worthy of a yellow card, but certainly not what he got.

If that stamp isn't clear as day to you then I suggest you get yourself down to specsavers sir!

It's at 7:10 in this video

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,273 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I'm sorry, Ade is taking the blunt of your sword - your are giving Ade your BLUNT sword.

Whatever floats your boat mate.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I hope Owen does the same thing to the Pool fans :D

From 50 seconds on you can see it, though the Sopcast channel I was watching had a better angle from straight in front.Basically ran straight to the corner shouting "Fuck off" repeatedly until one of the subs ran in front of him.

I've seen posts from City fans in that area who were quite annoyed about it anyway, even without the Adebayor thing.

Should be looked at but it probably won't. It was never going to cause anywhere near the reaction that Adebayor did from the crowd and unlike Ade's case it was straight after he scored.

I didn't need to see links to all the goals :mad:, but thanks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,273 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

RasTa wrote: »
    I hope Owen does the same thing to the Pool fans :D

If he tried to match Adebayor for pace he'd probably make the halfway line before doing his hamstring.

I suppose hobbling the rest of the way, gritting his teeth in pain would actually make it a bit cooler though!

If he tried to match Adebayor for pace he'd probably make the halfway line before doing his hamstring.

I suppose hobbling the rest of the way, gritting his teeth in pain would actually make it a bit cooler though!

He has to stay fit till then first off before he even gets a chance, and thats over a month away I'd say he's got fairly slim chances :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

The stamp should/will be punished .
    However what would be more disappointing to me if I was a City fan was these shameful acts are over-shadowing a fantastic team performance and distracting from what many prove to be a hallmark weekend and result for City .The weekend that they may have announced there arrivial in the big time is fast becoming the Adebayor one-man show for all the wrong reasons .Which again is a pity because he has been on fire this season so far , The stupidness of his stamp is not only overshadowing the team performance but his own performance this weekend . Today City fans should be gloating and talking about his amazing dazzling run , his goal or online clearance . But instead it pages of this..........Pity.

I didn't need to see links to all the goals :mad:, but thanks :)

It was the only footage I could find, I swear! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

This is the Fabregas tackle by Ade. not sure if its been posted already. Talk that this is also under consideration.

9hrhqd.jpg

jaykay74 wrote: »
    This is the Fabregas tackle by Ade. not sure if its been posted already. Talk that this is also under consideration.

9hrhqd.jpg

I'd have to see different angles, but to be honest it just looks clumsy!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

jaykay74 wrote: »

9hrhqd.jpg

Very little in that, to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

An File wrote: »
    Very little in that, to be honest.

I agree. I think Fabregas was just too quick for him.

I'd have to see different angles, but to be honest it just looks clumsy!

+1

Also comparisons can't really be drawn between this 50/50 ball and the stamp at RVP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Adebayor was clearly the second gunman on the grassy knoll. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I'd leave him off for his celebration...
    But definitely a 3 match ban at least for his stamp...shocking to be honest.
    Mark Hughes is pissed I bet...all his good work building his team and while he should be getting all the plaudits for masterminding a decisive win over Arsenal instead he'll be deflecting questions about Adebayor

• Advertisement

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/sep/14/mark-hughes-emmanuel-adebayor
    "There has been much discussion over the weekend regarding the various incidents in Saturday's game which is understandable," the City manager said on the club's website.

"Emmanuel Adebayor sustained a tremendous amount of personal abuse from the kick-off but strongly maintains that there was no malice intended in the challenge on Robin van Persie and apologised to him when he hugged him on leaving the field of play at the end of the game.

"The referee had a great view of the challenge from Ade and the one that preceded it by Van Persie and deemed at the time that neither were worthy of either a yellow or red card."

Emmanuel-Adebayor-001.jpg

Advertisement