Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What to do with older car?

• 31-10-2015 12:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭

Looking at getting a new(er) car soon for the wife?

Not sure what to do with an old 03 golf - 100k miles on it - but it's been keyed really badly on one side (pre getting parking permit for work someone took offence to her parking on their street).

I'm guessing most garages will look at it and give minimal trade in?

Should we look at new cars then and get value for it scrappage wise? Getting 4k off a new car wouldn't put us too far more off the budget we have for a 2/3 year old one.

What are people thoughts on what to do?

About 7 years since I changed car last so pretty out of touch with these things.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

You could try selling the Golf privately, list it on the likes on Donedeal and mention the paintwork etc and you should get rid of it pretty quickly provided its priced accordingly as Golfs are quite popular. But you mightn't want the hassle of a private sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Plus some of those scrappage deals are dependant on having a trade in in your name for x months etc.

Think Nissan are discounting the Juke on scrappage at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Hi KennyB, I'm no expert and I change my car every 7/8 years. So I'll be in your position next year.

What I'd do is price what you want second hand and then compare it to the deal you'd get new.

If you end up second hand just stick an honest advert on Donedeal for the old car -€650/€850, someone will have it.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Think Nissan are discounting the Juke on scrappage at the moment.
    The Pulsar was also being discounted too but not sure if it's still the case. Cheap for what it is anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭JoyPad

I was in your shoes at the beginning of the year. Ended up getting a brand new Hyundai i10 on PCP, with the old banger bringing in a €3,500 scrappage bonus. Hyundai are running another scrappage deal for 161 cars, if you're interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If you can deal with the time wasters and stupid swap offers stick it on donedeal and you'll get slightly more than just trading it in. At least if you trade it you don't have to worry about the buyer coming back with issues that don't matter in a private sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

JoyPad wrote: »
    I was in your shoes at the beginning of the year. Ended up getting a brand new Hyundai i10 on PCP, with the old banger bringing in a €3,500 scrappage bonus. Hyundai are running another scrappage deal for 161 cars, if you're interested.

I think I prefer this route than selling privately and I guess I'll just get ripped off trading in with garage without scrappage.

In terms of pcp what will you do at end of it? We'd want to keep the car for at least 5-8 years to get value from it and I wouldn't fancy a balloon payment after 3 years. Trying to save for that after paying deposit towards this car and then having decent repayments too would be hard.

ba_barabus wrote: »
    The Pulsar was also being discounted too but not sure if it's still the case. Cheap for what it is anyway

There was a supplement in the paper last week AFAIK, and the pulsar wasn't on it.

Since then, they've added it again.

Terms and Conditions (Updated 19th October 2015)

Available on passenger models Micra, Note, Juke, Pulsar, Leaf, Qashqai, X-Trail models only

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭La Fenetre

What's the story with these scrappage deals, are they really 3.5-4k off the price, regardless of the value of the trade in versus straight deal, or do you end up paying much the same overall if you had just bought the car straight and traded nothing in / sold the old car privately. ? And do they effect the book value of models that offered them ? i.e. the advertised "value" of the new car is just an advertised "RRP", but the true price it's for sale at is always going to be a good bit lower.

E.g. lets say its a car with a 30k RRP and your trading in a car worth €500.
    You get it for 26k on a scrappage deal.

If you bought it straight would you get the car for 26.5k ?

Does that mean the actual book value of the new car is 26.5k, and it's deprecation starts from there rather than 30k ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

The manufacturer gives the discount to stimulate sales.

• Advertisement

La Fenetre wrote: »
    What's the story with these scrappage deals, are they really 3.5-4k off the price, regardless of the value of the trade in versus straight deal, or do you end up paying much the same overall if you had just bought the car straight and traded nothing in / sold the old car privately. ? And do they effect the book value of models that offered them ? i.e. the advertised "value" of the new car is just an advertised "RRP", but the true price it's for sale at is always going to be a good bit lower.

E.g. lets say its a car with a 30k RRP and your trading in a car worth €500.
    You get it for 26k on a scrappage deal.

If you bought it straight would you get the car for 26.5k ?

Does that mean the actual book value of the new car is 26.5k, and it's deprecation starts from there rather than 30k ?

On some of them, you need to be trading a car in. you can't get the same deal straight.

Ref resale values, they're based on what they're actually selling for, rather than on a set mathematical equation.
    For example, you could buy a Clio for €9995 back in 2011 or so, and a Fluence for €15k when Renault were chasing market share.
    Once they put the price back up, it didn't really affect residual values. see what prices people are asking for 2011 Fluences etc.

Now obviously if you;re trading in in the next year or two, it will be used against you to justify a lukewarm trade in figure.

That said, I don't think the Pulsar or Note will be as desirable second hand as the likes of the Qashqai or Juke.

kennyb3 wrote: »
    I think I prefer this route than selling privately and I guess I'll just get ripped off trading in with garage without scrappage.

In terms of pcp what will you do at end of it? We'd want to keep the car for at least 5-8 years to get value from it and I wouldn't fancy a balloon payment after 3 years. Trying to save for that after paying deposit towards this car and then having decent repayments too would be hard.

First off, the scrappage bonus is the deposit for your PCP, you shouldn't have to fork anything else up front.
    My bet here is that the car will be worth slightly more than the balloon payment at the end of the 3 years, and the difference would be enough to kick off another PCP, and never visit an NCT centre again.

If you're not interested in that, maybe PCP is not the best option. Just do your math, but visit the dealer and get the real numbers before you make up your mind.

JoyPad wrote: »
    First off, the scrappage bonus is the deposit for your PCP, you shouldn't have to fork anything else up front.
    Not saying you're wrong, but which manufacturers do this

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Not saying you're wrong, but which manufacturers do this

Like I said above, in my case, it was Hyundai.
    Best though is to visit a dealer and discuss these details, my experience may or may not still be valid today.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mmclo

I was 50/50 on scrappage, car is Nissan 07 but thought there was another year or two no it. Won't start now and divided opinion on what the issue is but might involve a lot of expenditure. Can I use it for scrappage? It's got NCT, insurance etc and I've obviously owned it and driven it for years! just can't drive it to a dealer!

Advertisement