Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blown engine - where does the customer stand?

• 30-11-2015 9:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭

First of all this question doesn't relate to my own car. It's a car owned by a friend of mine but he wanted to know my opinion on where he stands.

He got his car serviced by his local garage(not main dealer) where he always takes his car. A few days after the service a light came on so he went back to get it checked out. They told him that it would be better to take it to a main dealer. He didn't have a problem with this so he rang a main dealer and told them the story. He made an appointment for the following morning.

Anyway he arrived and had it looked at. The mechanic dipped it for oil and said it was fine but might be no harm to add a drop even though it wasn't at a level that would cause the oil level light to appear. The light on in the dash was an oil pressure light and he was told that it was probably the oil pressure switch needing to be replaced. Part needed to be ordered so they would have it in a couple of days.

This is where the problem arose. My friend asked if he should leave the car at the main dealer until the part was fitted. He was told " no, there's no fear of it. Drive away and come back in a couple of days". So away he went, and of course, the engine blew the following day.

He rang the main dealer who tried to wash their hands of it by saying it was between him and whoever serviced the car.

In my opinion, the fact that the main dealer looked at the car and added oil to it plus refused the option of keeping the car until the switch was fitted leaves them open to scrutiny.

Any opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Well holy God that's not on at all at all at all. .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You didn't mention car brand or year.
    "Blew up" is a pretty vague term. Did something break, catch fire, or stop/seize?

If it's Ford, try to go directly to Ford Ireland, etc for other brands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Truckermal wrote: »
    Well holy God that's not on at all at all at all. .

Yeah, in fairness driving your car for a good solid week with the oil pressure warning light illuminated, really not the slickest move.

I can't honestly see the dealer telling someone it was 100% ok to drive on. Maybe if pushed for an answer, they may have said "there is a probability you will be fine, but there is a risk involved even if remote" and the owner took that as "drive her on boss, sure there's oil in it".

You'l struggle to pin this on the dealer. The owner knew there was a potential oil pressure fault and he had the option to leave it with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

biko wrote: »
    You didn't mention car brand or year.
    "Blew up" is a pretty vague term. Did something break, catch fire, or stop/seize?

If it's Ford, try to go directly to Ford Ireland, etc for other brands.

Sorry Biko. It's an 09 Subaru. One of those AWD Wagons. He lost power and suddenly bad noise from the engine and it stopped there and then

Yeah, in fairness driving your car for a good solid week with the oil pressure warning light illuminated, really not the slickest move.

I can't honestly see the dealer telling someone it was 100% ok to drive on. Maybe if pushed for an answer, they may have said "there is a probability you will be fine, but there is a risk involved even if remote" and the owner took that as "drive her on boss, sure there's oil in it".

You'l struggle to pin this on the dealer. The owner knew there was a potential oil pressure fault and he had the option to leave it with them.

Ya look I can only give the facts as I know them but I tried to get him to be as specific as he could. He offered to leave the car. He had no problem doing that because he was worried about potential damage himself. Surprised they didn't just keep the car after he suggested it tbh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

Sorry Biko. It's an 09 Subaru. One of those AWD Wagons. He lost power and suddenly bad noise from the engine and it stopped there and then

Is it diesel ?

visual wrote: »
    Is it diesel ?

Yes. Presume 2L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Dero

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

Oil level and Oil Pressure are separate issues. Obviuosly one cause of an oil pressure light coming on could be absence of oil.

as a rule of thumb, an oil warning light means "do not drive any further"

Maybe the level was low before the service and the damage already done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭screamer

Like any car your mate is on his own with this one. Garages never take responsibility for anything great industry to be in when you think about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Dero wrote: »

I was going to post that too, obviously your old like me to remember Glenroe. .:o

Maybe the level was low before the service and the damage already done.

No there was no light on before it was serviced.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

RDad the thread linked a few posts up lots of useful Info there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

the oil pressure light does not record low oil, by the time the light comes on it may already be too late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

.........The light on in the dash was an oil pressure light and he was told that it was probably the oil pressure switch needing to be replaced. Part needed to be ordered so they would have it in a couple of days. ...........

shouldn't have driven it until a new oil pressure switch was fitted

or better idea :

someone should have tested the oil pressure with a gauge

something like this :

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-cht712-oil-pressure-test-kit/

gctest50 wrote: »
    shouldn't have driven it until a new oil pressure switch was fitted

or better idea :

someone should have tested the oil pressure with a gauge

something like this :

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-cht712-oil-pressure-test-kit/

Well this was his main gripe really. The fact that the mechanic told him to drive on even though he said he could leave the car. After reading the other thread(thanks) it probably wasn't the switch at all but a more terminal problem. Surely being a main dealer they would have been aware of the issues that have cropped up and advised him not to drive the car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,465 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I'd be very pissed at main dealer.
    He turned up with a low oil pressure light and was told it was likely the switch and allowed to drive on. That is negligent imo.
    You cannot ever assume a low oil pressure light is a switch fault. Ever.
    If the guy at the dealer said that the oil level is fine - drive on, he clearly wasnt qualified to service a shipping trolley never mind a car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Main dealer shouldnt have told him to drive on.I wonder did the original garage use the wrong oil filter or fcuk up fitting it?Are they a cartridge type filter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭walus

What is the mileage on the car? Irrespectively of that the dealer should not be advising that the car is ok to drive with a low pressure oil warning unless the pressure switch was tested and confirmed to be faulty. What kind of mechanic adds oil thinking it will fix its pressure and seeing that this obviously did not help lets the car be driven as if nothing was wrong? Having said that the damage was most likely already done before the owner called into the dealer. I suspect an engine rebuild will be needed here.

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

magentis wrote: »
    Main dealer shouldnt have told him to drive on.I wonder did the original garage use the wrong oil filter or fcuk up fitting it?Are they a cartridge type filter?
    Sounds like oil pressure and crank/bearing damage could be a chicken and egg thing with those boxer diesels.

Are the cartridge filters know for been fecked up by people fitting them. Had an unfortunate experience with that myself. You'd wonder about any garage that couldn't fit an oil filter right.

• Advertisement

Boxer diesel does not use cartridge filters. Most likely the oil pump was down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

mickdw wrote: »
    You cannot ever assume a low oil pressure light is a switch fault. Ever.
    You just about could with a VW - if you were feeling lucky, punk.
    Boxer diesel - no fupping way:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭9935452

the oil pressure light does not record low oil, by the time the light comes on it may already be too late.

Agree , A lot of oil pressure switches are designed to turn on at 6 or 7 psi .
    Healthy oil pressure is around 40 psi.
    so by the time the light turns on the pressure is low.
    The ops friend should never have driven the car with the oil pressure light on.
    the odd thing is the engine lasted so long with the oil pressure light on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

Yeah, very odd it lasted that long, mine popped after 2 minutes flashing, full Subaru service history and only 2.5 months after a service too with a Subaru dealer, they didn't seem to notice anything wrong in that service, yet end result is same as if Benji in the shed up the lane serviced it. Very disappointed in Subaru and their customer service,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭clogher71

I don't think anyone has mentioned this, but where does the OP's own mechanic come into this? . He took his money for the handy job servicing the car and probably had being so for a while, servicing the car, maybe changing brake pads etc, but as soon as there was a sniff of trouble, his reaction was 'oh no, you will have to goto the dealer with that!!'

OP walks into the dealers, maybe never even been in the place before, and all of a sudden the dealer has a problem customer !!

I saw a case of this recently, used car bought from dealer, car serviced elsewhere, oil filter fitted incorrectly, oil leaks, turbo fails, car still under dealer warranty, guy goes back to his mechanic when light comes on, mechanic washes hands of it and tells him to go back where he bought is from as the car has a faulty turbo, guy causes a fuss where he bought the car, and his 'trusted ' mechanic gets away Scott free even though he probably fitted the filter incorrectly and was last to touch the car!!

clogher71 wrote: »
    I don't think anyone has mentioned this, but where does the OP's own mechanic come into this? . He took his money for the handy job servicing the car and probably had being so for a while, servicing the car, maybe changing brake pads etc, but as soon as there was a sniff of trouble, his reaction was 'oh no, you will have to goto the dealer with that!!'

OP walks into the dealers, maybe never even been in the place before, and all of a sudden the dealer has a problem customer !!

I saw a case of this recently, used car bought from dealer, car serviced elsewhere, oil filter fitted incorrectly, oil leaks, turbo fails, car still under dealer warranty, guy goes back to his mechanic when light comes on, mechanic washes hands of it and tells him to go back where he bought is from as the car has a faulty turbo, guy causes a fuss where he bought the car, and his 'trusted ' mechanic gets away Scott free even though he probably fitted the filter incorrectly and was last to touch the car!!

Ya, from reading some of the lads comments on here then once the light came on the car should have been grounded immediately. Surely his own mechanic shouldnt have advised him to drive to the main dealer but to get a tow there instead.

Also, someone asked what sort of mileage he put up after the light appeared....Well by the time he went to his mechanic and then onto the main dealer he said it was close to 100 miles.

And there is approx 170,000 miles on the clock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

Ya, from reading some of the lads comments on here then once the light came on the car should have been grounded immediately. Surely his own mechanic shouldnt have advised him to drive to the main dealer but to get a tow there instead.

Also, someone asked what sort of mileage he put up after the light appeared....Well by the time he went to his mechanic and then onto the main dealer he said it was close to 100 miles.

Got to love mechanics, they never take any blame and never give you a straight answer.

Currently fighting with my own mechanic over similar issues, he fitted a new fuel injector pump, well one he got second hand, and now the electrics are. fúcked on it.
    All i got was, sure this is the problem with part! no solution or blame, just looking to buy yet another 150 euro part/

I don't agree at all. The main dealer getting a problem customer is 100 percent their own making on this case.
    -The customer drives in with oil pressure light on. If dealt with professionally, in the absence of a full diagnosis, they would have advised the customer that it could be simply the pressure switch or it could be a genuine oil pressure problem. The obvious advice then must be to not drive the car.
    When they decided to send the receptionist out to do the inspection and the advice given allowed the situation to develop to the point of engine blow up, I figure they created their own problem.

When they decided to send the receptionist out to do the inspection and the advice given allowed the situation to develop to the point of engine blow up, I figure they created their own problem.

It wasn't the receptionist who looked at it, it was one of the mechanics. But I agree, advice should have been to not drive the car

• Advertisement

It wasn't the receptionist who looked at it, it was one of the mechanics. But I agree, advice should have been to not drive the car

I used receptionist as a figure of speech because whoever checked the car and figured that as long as there was oil in it, you were safe certainly wasn't a mechanic.
    He may be working there as a mechanic or an Apprentice mechanic but he knew nothing about engines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

defo 170,000miles? not km?

I don't agree at all. The main dealer getting a problem customer is 100 percent their own making on this case.
    -The customer drives in with oil pressure light on. If dealt with professionally, in the absence of a full diagnosis, they would have advised the customer that it could be simply the pressure switch or it could be a genuine oil pressure problem. The obvious advice then must be to not drive the car.

Yes I understand what you are saying and maybe a problem customer was not the best way to describe the situation. My point was, and I think the OP got what I was saying and the poster above you as well, was that the OP mechanic totally washed his hands of the problem, and a lot of people were overlooking this and just willing to blame the dealer, I find there is a lot of main dealer bashing on boards for some of the time the wrong reasons and in my opinion a lot of the responsibility in this case lies with the regular mechanic of the car, he sent the customer off with the light on, my guess he smelt trouble and got it as far away as he could from him.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Yes I understand what you are saying and maybe a problem customer was not the best way to describe the situation. My point was, and I think the OP got what I was saying and the poster above you as well, was that the OP mechanic totally washed his hands of the problem, and a lot of people were overlooking this and just willing to blame the dealer, I find there is a lot of main dealer bashing on boards for some of the time the wrong reasons and in my opinion a lot of the responsibility in this case lies with the regular mechanic of the car, he sent the customer off with the light on, my guess he smelt trouble and got it as far away as he could from him.....
    Im going to have to disagree here and its not dealer bashing.
    Im guessing his mechanic instantly knew that this was a major problem when he heard the light was on(and did the right thing recommending the dealers mechanic who should be an expert on this.
    The bit thats really amazing me is that any mechanic (apprentice or not) working in a Subaru garage would tell the customer to drive on..Im struggling to actually believe this (no offence OP).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭deandean

I have / had a diesel Outback in my sights as my next car. Now I am worried.

deandean wrote: »

You should check out the service history first and make sure that no oil service was missed and it is best if it was serviced with the main dealer only. Also examine the dmf and clutch. If they feel "strange" and give any sort of unusual noises when starting the engine and/or pressing the clutch pedal - walk away. To my knowledge these do not last longer than 100-120k km and should be replaced at that moment even if do not give any obvious signs/noises of wear.

• Advertisement

Colser wrote: »
    Im going to have to disagree here and its not dealer bashing.
    Im guessing his mechanic instantly knew that this was a major problem when he heard the light was on(and did the right thing recommending the dealers mechanic who should be an expert on this.
    The bit thats really amazing me is that any mechanic (apprentice or not) working in a Subaru garage would tell the customer to drive on..Im struggling to actually believe this (no offence OP).

We will have to agree to disagree on this one! :-) HIS customer came to him physically not heard there was a light on, HE sent them off, any mechanic worth his salt would be able to diagnose what was wrong with it, (I wonder did he do any checks at all,), the car should not have to goto the dealer for that, HE was probably quiet happy to take money off HIS customer for the handy jobs, my guess he smelt trouble and dropped it like a hot potato!! I know in my business, we would never refer a good customer onto someone else...

I do agree with your line about the dealer checking the car....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

We will have to agree to disagree on this one! :-) HIS customer came to him physically not heard there was a light on, HE sent them off, any mechanic worth his salt would be able to diagnose what was wrong with it,

This is all far too simplistic to be honest.

People don't want to pay main dealer prices, they want smaller independent mechanics to do their work because they are cheaper but the fact is that the independents can only do so much. We pay tens of thousands every year for diagnostic equipment, the smaller guys cannot do that and without it there is a definite limit to what they can do to a modern car.

You confidently state that any mechanic worth his salt should be able to diagnose the fault but in many many cases this simply isn't true, there are faults that they cannot diagnose, ecu's that they cannot programme, fuel systems that they cannot test, switches that they cannot test. I know a lot of damn good independent mechanics but not being able to repair CANBUS wiring without the full wiring diagrams isn't really a slight on their ability.

It all comes down to what the mechanic offers and for a lot of independents what they offer is good solid servicing and basic troubleshooting. And they provide that, they don't pretend to anything more. You are saying they should also be providing full dealer service but are you prepared to pay for it? To pay for the training and equipment costs that come with it? I doubt it.

Only the OP knows exactly the agreement he has with his own mechanic, what the expectations are, but if there is a fault he cannot diagnose it is infinitely better for the mechanic to say that straight up, instead of trying to bluff it, taking the car off the road for weeks and throwing parts at the problem until it goes away. Theres plenty of chancers who would do that too.

People don't want to pay main dealer prices, they want smaller independent mechanics to do their work because they are cheaper but the fact is that the independents can only do so much. We pay tens of thousands every year for diagnostic equipment, the smaller guys cannot do that and without it there is a definite limit to what they can do to a modern car.

You confidently state that any mechanic worth his salt should be able to diagnose the fault but in many many cases this simply isn't true, there are faults that they cannot diagnose, ecu's that they cannot programme, fuel systems that they cannot test, switches that they cannot test. I know a lot of damn good independent mechanics but not being able to repair CANBUS wiring without the full wiring diagrams isn't really a slight on their ability.

It all comes down to what the mechanic offers and for a lot of independents what they offer is good solid servicing and basic troubleshooting. And they provide that, they don't pretend to anything more. You are saying they should also be providing full dealer service but are you prepared to pay for it? To pay for the training and equipment costs that come with it? I doubt it.

Only the OP knows exactly the agreement he has with his own mechanic, what the expectations are, but if there is a fault he cannot diagnose it is infinitely better for the mechanic to say that straight up, instead of trying to bluff it, taking the car off the road for weeks and throwing parts at the problem until it goes away. Theres plenty of chancers who would do that too.

I can see you feel strongly on this one. To me this was an oil light, they have been in cars for yonks, from my reading of this one he did not even check the situation, I am sticking to my theory this guy, saw a problem and got it off his property as quick as he could.

I can see you feel strongly on this one. To me this was an oil light, they have been in cars for yonks, from my reading of this one he did not even check the situation, I am sticking to my theory this guy, saw a problem and got it off his property as quick as he could.

I feel strongly? What a strange thing to say.

So what exactly should the mechanic have done? You seem to think he was derelict in his duty by advising the OP to go to a better garage, so I assume you think he should have tried to fix it himself? He should have bought and fitted an oil pressure switch, then an oil pump, then a new wiring harness, then whatever it takes to finally knock that pesky light off, is that your position?

Fact is, your reading of things is based on not enough information. You don't even know if this mechanic had any sort of code reader at all, never mind one able to trouble shoot this particular fault. Did he have the right pressure guages to check oil pressure? Maybe he is just some retired mechanic with a few tools in his garage, you just don't know.

What you do know is that he advised the OP to go to the experts. Its very hard to ever call that horrible advice.

I feel strongly? What a strange thing to say.

So what exactly should the mechanic have done? You seem to think he was derelict in his duty by advising the OP to go to a better garage, so I assume you think he should have tried to fix it himself? He should have bought and fitted an oil pressure switch, then an oil pump, then a new wiring harness, then whatever it takes to finally knock that pesky light off, is that your position?

Fact is, your reading of things is based on not enough information. You don't even know if this mechanic had any sort of code reader at all, never mind one able to trouble shoot this particular fault. Did he have the right pressure guages to check oil pressure? Maybe he is just some retired mechanic with a few tools in his garage, you just don't know.

What you do know is that he advised the OP to go to the experts. Its very hard to ever call that horrible advice.

I'm with you on this and I'm still of the opinion that the main dealer gave the wrong advice.
    The only complaint I could have in terms of how the first garage dealt with this is that he should also have advised that it may not be safe to drive.

• Advertisement

I'm with you on this and I'm still of the opinion that the main dealer gave the wrong advice.
    The only complaint I could have in terms of how the first garage dealt with this is that he should also have advised that it may not be safe to drive.

Our range currently has some issues with oil pressure switches, they leak oil and put faults up on the dash, so we get plenty of reports of oil warnings and know that there is a good chance that its just a faulty switch.

And when somebody rings to ask what this fault on the dash is our lads are told to never, ever tell the customer its ok to drive on.

It probably is ok to drive on, and if the customer wants to drive on thats his choice. But if you have any oil warning active then our advice will always be to stop and go nowhere until its checked out, because with oil pressure the worst case scenario is usually as bad as you can get repair wise.

Perhaps the OP could give us an update on this, and clear up what the guy who services the car did / did not do.

When I bought my Subaru, I stopped going to my old (quite brilliant) mechanic even though he was e40 p/h cheaper and would use Subaru parts, I used the main dealer all the time, every 15k-km brake pads everything, as I wanted the reliable car to stay that way, yet it still broke, 2.5months after it's last service, and they still say it's just one of them things, (but have contributed main parts for a rebuild) I don't see how the car went from perfect to fu**ed in 6000km, something wasn't checked properly, and it's them who know the cars inside out, and if I can find a trail of problems with the car and injectors, how come someone on the inside "knows nothing", boils the blood, let me tell you.

selous wrote: »
    When I bought my Subaru, I stopped going to my old (quite brilliant) mechanic even though he was e40 p/h cheaper and would use Subaru parts, I used the main dealer all the time, every 15k-km brake pads everything, as I wanted the reliable car to stay that way, yet it still broke, 2.5months after it's last service, and they still say it's just one of them things, (but have contributed main parts for a rebuild) I don't see how the car went from perfect to fu**ed in 6000km, something wasn't checked properly, and it's them who know the cars inside out, and if I can find a trail of problems with the car and injectors, how come someone on the inside "knows nothing", boils the blood, let me tell you.

The common customer complaint, you got a service and so everything must be perfect until the next service or its the garages fault. Your entire anecdote is also based on the assumption that had your old mechanic done the work the vehicle would not have broken down, which is not a given.

I know nothing about your particular case but the sorry fact is that a good mechanic could have done a perfect service on your car and it still might have broken down 6000kms later, because a lot can happen in 6000kms.

Hell, perfect to fucked in 6000kms? I've seen cars go from perfect to ****ed in 60kms. It does happen. But I have no interest in convincing you about a case I wasn't involved in, so blame the dealer if you wish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I haven't read the thread entirely but I wonder could the Garage claim when they said no, not to leave the car that they meant they could not spare the space to store it rather than meaning that it was ok to drive.

Not what im saying, I deceided to use main dealer, for the warranty etc, the other mechanic still does the O.H's car, I seen that there is a problem with the engine in the Subaru, and the injectors cause a lot of trouble they get burnt and mix diesel into the oil, if I was advised by the dealer that they needed to be reconditioned at a certain mileage, or major damage can happen, I would have done it, (I seen one dealer saying it should be done) my old mechanic may not have known of the problem, but i'm sure the main dealer should have.

But there seems to be a fault with the engine in the 08-10 Subaru diesels and no one could have prevented it, as they seem to pop their clogs around the same mileage, (see the other thread)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Hell, perfect to fucked in 6000kms? I've seen cars go from perfect to ****ed in 60kms. It does happen. But I have no interest in convincing you about a case I wasn't involved in, so blame the dealer if you wish.

You need to reread the thread: Selous didn't blame the dealer. OP did. Selous is not the OP but coincidentally (sic) had the same engine in the same brand FUBAR even with a fdsh.

I've read Selous' thread and this is a Subaru design problem. Subaru should be making recompense here as imho the car's aren't fit for purpose.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

deandean wrote: »

And you'd be right. I saw a lovely import one this am and all I could think was. ."..I wonder when the crank will expire. ..?"

That's some marketing job there Subaru. .....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    You need to reread the thread: Selous didn't blame the dealer. OP did. Selous is not the OP but coincidentally (sic) had the same engine in the same brand FUBAR even with a fdsh.
    Maybe you should give Selous the respect of actually reading his posts.
    selous wrote: »
    yet it still broke, 2.5months after it's last service, and they still say it's just one of them things, (but have contributed main parts for a rebuild) I don't see how the car went from perfect to fu**ed in 6000km, something wasn't checked properly, and it's them who know the cars inside out, and if I can find a trail of problems with the car and injectors, how come someone on the inside "knows nothing", boils the blood, let me tell you.
    Its pretty clear what those words mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Maybe you should give Selous the respect of actually reading his posts.

Its pretty clear what those words mean.
    Would you agree that if a car that was bought new and serviced by the main dealer and that the particular model has a known fault/problem should have been checked for it at the last service given the milage on the car?

• Advertisement
Advertisement