Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salty & spicy

Options
  • 18-07-2014 1:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭

My local chinese do Salty & spicy chips and they are to die for. Its the same mix thats put onto salty & spicy ribs from a chinese. I know another chinese that does it with added chicken and its called a spice bag.

So my question is
    , how would one go about making this salty & spicy mix that they put on the ribs?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I'd try adding chili powder (a little at a time) to Aromat

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Mmmm... Taste the MSG goodness...

Richard tea: Not familiar with the product-taste, but perhaps you could experiment with other spicy and salty sources. Is it a dry spice mix, or a sauce? Here are some ideas:
    Spicy: ground chillies/Chilli flakes, Szechuan peppercorns, Chilli Bean sauce, chilli oil, Tabasco.
    Salty: Light Soy sauce, Fish sauce, anchovy sauce, dried anchovies, salt(?), Teriyaki sauce, Worcestershire Sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

It's a dry mix, choc-a-block with MSG! So naughty but (due to the MSG) you can't help yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Its a dry mix. No flakes, just a number of different spice powders. Ill experiment. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I've never had this mix but I'd say start with msg (available in bags in any Asian store), add salt, pepper, and chilli powder and see how that works. Maybe a touch of 5 spice powder might work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Look up salt and chilli chicken recipies online. This is what these things are described as in my local takeaways, they do salt & chilli, chips/ribs/chips

I would recommend this mix which is in many asian supermarkets, it already has the MSG in it.

187871.jpg?v=2

It does remind me of it but would need a bit more chilli added.
    INGREDIENTS

Salt
    Paprika
    Sugar
    Flavour Enhancer E621 (Monosodium Glutamate)
    Mustard Powder
    Pepper
    Chilli Powder
    Garlic Powder
    Natural Colour: Paprika E160c, Caramel E150c
    Onion Powder
    Celery
    http://www.eastendfoods.co.uk/product-categories/spices/spice-blends/spice-seasoning/all-purpose-seasoning/

Advertisement