Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Books to read on computer security

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Washout

Crypto by Steven Levy is a great read into the histroy of crytpography and encryption

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Hacking exposed is about the different methods that people use to break into machines (more or less). I didn't think much of it, but lots of people found it a good book, so YMMV.

This may not be what you're interested in though ? Computer Security is a fairly broad topic, so some elaboration on your aims/interests etc might help people recommend better books.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,384 ✭✭✭irishgeo

well i am a trainee network technician am i looking to improve my knowledge of computer security in regards to networks servers etc.

basically what i am looking for is a network techniciains bible which explains how lots of stuff works etc.

O'Reilly's 'Building Internet Firewalls' would probably be a decent start.

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/fire2/

For more information on host security, the O'Reilly titles 'Practical Unix and Internet Security' and 'Securing Windows NT/2000 Servers for the Internet' are worth a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭BogoBot

Ross Andersons book 'Security Engineering' is a excellent and I recommend it to anyone in/entering the infosec arena.

Its not a 'howto' and it doesn't deal with specific technologies but it does give a grounding in what you should know.

Its ISBN is 0-471-38922-6 and is published by wiley.

Bogobot.

• Advertisement

That's a fantastic book, but much of it might be seen as a bit irrelevant to the everyday systems or network admin trying to do their job ...

Advertisement